Sydney Airport

"international terminal was "jammed" as usual"

Not Verified | I travelled for business reasons from the US to Tokyo, Sydney, Auckland, Sydney, and Tokyo, before finally returning to the US. Use of American airports is relatively pleasant as I have signed up for the Global Entry program, I used both Haneda and Narita International Airports and found the experience to be outstanding as usual, followed quite closely by Auckland International Airport. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Sydney International Airport. Because I was in business class, Qantas Airways kindly presented me with an Express Path pass which turned out to be completely useless. On my first arrival into Sydney from Tokyo, the international terminal was "jammed" as usual. I followed the Express Path signage, only to find it to be blocked off in the immediate immigration queuing area. When I inquired from airport personnel, she stated in a rude and abrupt manner that "it's closed", with no other explanation given. Consoled to using the extremely lengthy regular line for non citizens and residents, I asked another employee if there was any alternative for Express Path pass holders (thinking that it was just closed because it was outside of normal operating hours), showing her the pass with my US passport. Like with the previous airport agent, she just scowled and said "no". Now, it also has to be pointed out that overall signage in the international terminal is abysmal, particularly in the way of explanations. While waiting at the end of the long immigration line, I noticed some passport holders (without Australian passports) using kiosks off to the right side of the hall. I also saw that there was an electronic sign that indicated passengers from certain countries could use the kiosks. So rather than wait what seemed to be way more than an hour in line (far worse than anything I've seen at LAX) I tried the kiosk and was very relieved that it worked. I only then wondered why both airport personnel, after having seen my US passport, couldn't advise me to use the kiosks. As well I thought, why couldn't signage offer more explicit and detailed explanations for certain passport holders to use the kiosks. One last note - on my return to Sydney from Auckland, my seatmate was a New Zealander who lived and worked in Sydney for almost 40 years. She remarked how she disliked using Sydney International Airport because of the rudeness of airport personnel and the lack of adequate airport facilities, signage, etc. I couldn't hold back and quickly told her that I was in complete agreement. Moreover, in contrast Auckland was the opposite - though smaller, Auckland Airport personnel were immensely polite and pleasant. We both agreed that Sydney Airport personnel have very little pride or sincerity in the performance of their work, and set a poor tone for foreign visitors. Upon deplaning the Qantas flight from Auckland, we both smiled to each other, while shaking our heads as we approached the immigration lines. Only this time, I knew well enough to use the entry kiosks, thereby avoiding the "sourpuss" employees.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Lift your game Sydney"

Not Verified | What a joke getting dropped off at International departures. Third world access that needs to be addressed as it has been like this for years. Lift your game Sydney International.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Airport design is messy"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | This is the only airport that needs to charge for luggage trolleys (cost aud4), after passing through immigration, there is no trolley supplied for light luggage as well. Airport design is messy, lack of direction and seating areas. Men and women washrooms located in different places, imagine a family travelling with kids and luggage, they have to walk 2 places for the toilet. Agree with some other reviews, this looks like a 3rd world standard airport to me.
Date VisitJune 2019

"not looking forward to going home"

Not Verified | Very annoyed, landed 8:20am and caught the bus to terminal 1, gate 26 A-G was poorly designed and it was chaotic to get onto our QF23 flight to Bangkok. There was one lady standing and directing passengers to their flights, I think she did really well but yeah, not looking forward to going home.
Date VisitMay 2019

"it feels like a 3rd world airport"

Trip Verified | Apart from the charging facilities like the eateries, it feels like a 3rd world airport. Used their toilets, each one has some dysfunctional facilities, either sink blocked, tap not working, urinals had a tap across saying it is out of order. Terminal WiFi is a hoax. No connectivity. Even a shopping centre offers free wifi, yet this is a domestic airport, its wifi is dysfunctional. Sydney is an international hub and a gateway to Australia, it is a let down.
Date VisitJune 2019

"don't understand customer service"

Not Verified | The Sydney airport team don't seem to understand what customer service is. Nice new laptop benches installed in the international terminal - have had no 240V power for weeks. 240V outlets hidden with black tape (as is to conceal the issue) Contact customer service, no real apology, just advice that there was a "manufacturing issue". When I contacted customer service their first question was "where in the terminal?". Zero effort applied' it's only every gate in one of the two wings!

"total lack of help"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | As an assisted traveller I was amazed at the total lack of help. If I had been alone as I often am I probably would still be where being left by the taxi! When asking at the first airline site where would one get a wheelchair assistance, a flippant answer was “with whoever you’re travelling with.” This must be a new ‘more streamlined modification!’ As I was travelling with AirNZ I was at the opposite end of the check-in! We managed to make it slowly to the help desk which are meant only to point or speak, but one of heir staff took our luggage to the check-in for us and mr ‘other’ was able to push me in my own wheelchair to our check-in. Now that it’s metric there are fewer staff to assist in these wonderfully modernised unhelpful halls. In fact I have noticed that the ‘posher’ the buildings are the more we the travellers needing assistance are being forgotten. It was a Very Stressful experience. I’m sure you would get volunteers to stand at the entrances to assist wheelchair or other travellers requiring personal care.
Date VisitMay 2019

"no customer service skills at all"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Worst Airport in the world to transit through, oppressive unorganised customs staff who are rude and obnoxious with no customer service skills at all, if at all possible use another airport to transit through Australia.

"totally disorganised"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Sydney airport departures from any of the gates 26A-26G is appalling, totally disorganised. I travel through this airport as a passenger at least twice a month and it’s one of the worst experiences at an airport. Lack of signage , ground staff herding passengers in all directions and no public announcements made by PA, only by human voice you can hardly hear.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Do you care about your travellers Sydney?"

Not Verified | They close this terminal at night and put people outside. There is only somewhere at the international terminal that you can wait overnight. Problem is my connection flight is at 6am from T3 and if I'm at T1 untill the trains or buses start I don't have enough time to get to T3, I would miss my flight. So need to wait somewhere at T3, is outside in cold as they haven't designated an area people can stay inside. I could get a hotel for $100 for the 7-8 hours, I have the money, but it's the principle, I don't think that's worth it. Look at Christchurch airport in New Zealand, they close the airport at night too but they have juicy snooze just a short walk away, it's $25 for a nice pod for the night. Sort it out Sydney, I suspect there are many people in my position every single night, especially when airlines schedule overnight stop overs like this. I have a $500 inflatable camping mattress in my bag that I would love to blow up and stay inside in the warmth, but I will have to sit out in the cold. Do you care about your travellers Sydney?