Sydney Airport

"Rude and officious customs agent"

Not Verified | Rude and officious customs agent. Security staff are also rude. I hate returning to Australia, and I was born here. What must international visitors think of us?
Date VisitAugust 2019

"I was shocked by the rudeness"

Trip Verified | Arrived home at the airport 7.30pm Wed and was surprised that there was no queue. So exit was fast and only took 20min thru immigration, bag collection and customs! That's never happened before so was very pleased. However I was shocked by the rudeness of one particular staff member who was directing the passenger at the immigration section. I was pushing my 91yo mother in a wheelchair and looking for the right lane. She said something and then yelled out in a loud voice.... Hey I am talking to you! I was shocked by her rudeness. Also she sent me to the crew counter which wasn't manned and I had to wheel mum back to join the normal queue. Hardly the right person to greet incoming visitors!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport is suffering from mismanagement"

Not Verified | Chaotic, busy, understaffed. The immigration queue was a disaster. I had a express card which was useless as I was told by the staff “throw it away”. This airport is suffering from mismanagement.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"international terminal was "jammed" as usual"

Trip Verified | I travelled for business reasons from the US to Tokyo, Sydney, Auckland, Sydney, and Tokyo, before finally returning to the US. Use of American airports is relatively pleasant as I have signed up for the Global Entry program, I used both Haneda and Narita International Airports and found the experience to be outstanding as usual, followed quite closely by Auckland International Airport. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Sydney International Airport. Because I was in business class, Qantas Airways kindly presented me with an Express Path pass which turned out to be completely useless. On my first arrival into Sydney from Tokyo, the international terminal was "jammed" as usual. I followed the Express Path signage, only to find it to be blocked off in the immediate immigration queuing area. When I inquired from airport personnel, she stated in a rude and abrupt manner that "it's closed", with no other explanation given. Consoled to using the extremely lengthy regular line for non citizens and residents, I asked another employee if there was any alternative for Express Path pass holders (thinking that it was just closed because it was outside of normal operating hours), showing her the pass with my US passport. Like with the previous airport agent, she just scowled and said "no". Now, it also has to be pointed out that overall signage in the international terminal is abysmal, particularly in the way of explanations. While waiting at the end of the long immigration line, I noticed some passport holders (without Australian passports) using kiosks off to the right side of the hall. I also saw that there was an electronic sign that indicated passengers from certain countries could use the kiosks. So rather than wait what seemed to be way more than an hour in line (far worse than anything I've seen at LAX) I tried the kiosk and was very relieved that it worked. I only then wondered why both airport personnel, after having seen my US passport, couldn't advise me to use the kiosks. As well I thought, why couldn't signage offer more explicit and detailed explanations for certain passport holders to use the kiosks. One last note - on my return to Sydney from Auckland, my seatmate was a New Zealander who lived and worked in Sydney for almost 40 years. She remarked how she disliked using Sydney International Airport because of the rudeness of airport personnel and the lack of adequate airport facilities, signage, etc. I couldn't hold back and quickly told her that I was in complete agreement. Moreover, in contrast Auckland was the opposite - though smaller, Auckland Airport personnel were immensely polite and pleasant. We both agreed that Sydney Airport personnel have very little pride or sincerity in the performance of their work, and set a poor tone for foreign visitors. Upon deplaning the Qantas flight from Auckland, we both smiled to each other, while shaking our heads as we approached the immigration lines. Only this time, I knew well enough to use the entry kiosks, thereby avoiding the "sourpuss" employees.

"Lift your game Sydney"

Not Verified | What a joke getting dropped off at International departures. Third world access that needs to be addressed as it has been like this for years. Lift your game Sydney International.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Airport design is messy"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | This is the only airport that needs to charge for luggage trolleys (cost aud4), after passing through immigration, there is no trolley supplied for light luggage as well. Airport design is messy, lack of direction and seating areas. Men and women washrooms located in different places, imagine a family travelling with kids and luggage, they have to walk 2 places for the toilet. Agree with some other reviews, this looks like a 3rd world standard airport to me.
Date VisitJune 2019

"not looking forward to going home"

Not Verified | Very annoyed, landed 8:20am and caught the bus to terminal 1, gate 26 A-G was poorly designed and it was chaotic to get onto our QF23 flight to Bangkok. There was one lady standing and directing passengers to their flights, I think she did really well but yeah, not looking forward to going home.
Date VisitMay 2019

"it feels like a 3rd world airport"

Trip Verified | Apart from the charging facilities like the eateries, it feels like a 3rd world airport. Used their toilets, each one has some dysfunctional facilities, either sink blocked, tap not working, urinals had a tap across saying it is out of order. Terminal WiFi is a hoax. No connectivity. Even a shopping centre offers free wifi, yet this is a domestic airport, its wifi is dysfunctional. Sydney is an international hub and a gateway to Australia, it is a let down.
Date VisitJune 2019

"don't understand customer service"

Not Verified | The Sydney airport team don't seem to understand what customer service is. Nice new laptop benches installed in the international terminal - have had no 240V power for weeks. 240V outlets hidden with black tape (as is to conceal the issue) Contact customer service, no real apology, just advice that there was a "manufacturing issue". When I contacted customer service their first question was "where in the terminal?". Zero effort applied' it's only every gate in one of the two wings!

"total lack of help"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | As an assisted traveller I was amazed at the total lack of help. If I had been alone as I often am I probably would still be where being left by the taxi! When asking at the first airline site where would one get a wheelchair assistance, a flippant answer was “with whoever you’re travelling with.” This must be a new ‘more streamlined modification!’ As I was travelling with AirNZ I was at the opposite end of the check-in! We managed to make it slowly to the help desk which are meant only to point or speak, but one of heir staff took our luggage to the check-in for us and mr ‘other’ was able to push me in my own wheelchair to our check-in. Now that it’s metric there are fewer staff to assist in these wonderfully modernised unhelpful halls. In fact I have noticed that the ‘posher’ the buildings are the more we the travellers needing assistance are being forgotten. It was a Very Stressful experience. I’m sure you would get volunteers to stand at the entrances to assist wheelchair or other travellers requiring personal care.
Date VisitMay 2019