Sydney Airport

"1.5 hours sitting on our suitcases"

Not Verified | The arrival process, collecting luggage, and clearing Immigration and Customs was straight forward and the Customs agents were polite and helpful. The computer system worked well. The arriving international passenger making a domestic connection will have a major problem if their layover is more than 2 hours. Once out of Customs, there is a free Transfer bus to the domestic terminal. Then the surprise. The traveller may not check-in at departures until 2 hours before departure. We had a 3.5 hour layover. We were not permitted entry, we couldn’t even drop our bags. There were few seats, and these were full, people were sitting on the floor in departures entry and, downstairs in arrivals - the same thing. There is one small food operation, packed with passengers and their luggage. My wife and I are seniors, pretty spry, but not happy about 1.5 hours sitting on our suitcases. When we got down to 2 hours before our domestic flight, we got through without any problem and entered a nice departure area with many restaurants, shops, and plenty of seating. We had lost all enthusiasm for shopping in an airport that had treated us so poorly.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Congested, expensive"

Not Verified | Sydney must be Australia’s worst airport. Congested, expensive, poorly planned and monopoly behaviour. I rarely get in our out without delays of at least half an hour.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"at least 40 minutes to get a taxi"

Not Verified | Taxi queue and how it is managed is horrible at the domestic airport. There is no traffic control or when there is, staffed by incompetent people / contractors that cannot coordinate the flow of taxi's that picked up passengers trying to leave with new taxis pulling into the rank. It is also located right behind a pedestrian crossing and the the traffic controller does not manage the flow of pedestrians to cross when taxis are loading passengers and luggage. Instead they stand there and wave taxis, private vehicles and limos through. And in front of the crossing is the limo / VIP waiting area where they constantly double park and block the flow of traffic further compounding the wait times and queue of the taxi. Expect at least 40 minutes to get a taxi.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"very often a long wait at the taxi rank"

Not Verified | I frequently fly in and out of Sydney airport and very often experience a long wait at the taxi rank. The last things one wants after a long day is to have to wait for 30 minutes or more at the highly inefficient 10 bay taxi rank. Aside from the limited number of bays, taxis come through at a snails pace. This is not of their own doing, drivers have been waiting for up to 2 hours for a fare. This is not an impossible challenge to solve. Some empathy for your customer rather than maximizing your revenues would be much appreciated.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"embarrassed about the inefficiency"

Not Verified | As a Cabin Crew member completing tours of duties up to 20hrs with 2 days at home before next trip (yep not so glamorous) even without checked in bags it took over an hour to get through immigration and customs. There is no fast lane for crew or special treatment. So I endure what every other pax endures. The processing lines are long, disorganised. I’m left answering questions from bewildered travellers due to limited or helpful staff. Try giving feedback. It’s virtually impossible. I’m embarrassed about the inefficiecy. Corporate Greed, cost cutting, lack of foresignt has resulted in a shopping centre with Disneyland lines in an overpriced Shopping Mall. But is any really listening? There is no incentive to improve this situation.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"terrible transit and departure experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Had an unbelievably terrible transit and departure experience at Sydney airport. The bus from T2 to T1 is not frequent which makes transit really difficult if there isn’t a lot of time between flights. When time is ticking, the more annoying part is the rude officers at security screening, treating travelers like criminals. The queue management was a mess and it took some time to go through customs. Even my bag had been checked twice under x-ray, they still demanded for a random check (there wasn’t any prohibited item). Worse still, when I told the officer I needed to leave immediately as there was less than 20 minutes before my flight took off, all he replied was I still have plenty of time and he even told me if I would like to do some shopping I should have come earlier. I could not believe a so-called international airport can have such arrogant and rude staff. As a frequent traveler who has been to more than 20 countries, I have to say I had the worst airport experience at the Sydney Airport and this makes me never want to use this airport again.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"lagging with passenger growth"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Terrible from start to finish. The traffic around the airport was a gridlock. Over an hour we covered around 2 kilometers. No one is at the loading bays controlling traffic. The security lines were a mess. Inadequate, poorly designed and lagging with passenger growth. The duty free is in your face, more so than larger airports. I am always worried of arriving in time for my flight and as a habit, plan to arrive 4 hours early. I didn't make it to my gate until 45 minutes before my flight. I truly hope they are planning to increase the security and loading areas significantly, rather than building more fashion stores. You actually have to have time to shop to buy anything!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Rude and officious customs agent"

Not Verified | Rude and officious customs agent. Security staff are also rude. I hate returning to Australia, and I was born here. What must international visitors think of us?
Date VisitAugust 2019

"I was shocked by the rudeness"

Trip Verified | Arrived home at the airport 7.30pm Wed and was surprised that there was no queue. So exit was fast and only took 20min thru immigration, bag collection and customs! That's never happened before so was very pleased. However I was shocked by the rudeness of one particular staff member who was directing the passenger at the immigration section. I was pushing my 91yo mother in a wheelchair and looking for the right lane. She said something and then yelled out in a loud voice.... Hey I am talking to you! I was shocked by her rudeness. Also she sent me to the crew counter which wasn't manned and I had to wheel mum back to join the normal queue. Hardly the right person to greet incoming visitors!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport is suffering from mismanagement"

Not Verified | Chaotic, busy, understaffed. The immigration queue was a disaster. I had a express card which was useless as I was told by the staff “throw it away”. This airport is suffering from mismanagement.
Date VisitJuly 2019