Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

(Argentina)

Terminal 1 is as pathetic as ever. Overcrowded dirty toilets poor food available chaotic boarding miniature duty free.
Queuing Times N/A

(Brazil)

We used Gol and Delta Airlines so were not in the new Terminal 3 which most airlines were not going to start using until after the World Cup. Although my wife had an elbow injury and she'd requested wheelchair assistance the fact that we had to use steep stairs (not an angled ramp like in some airports when jetways aren't used) made that difficult. It is not easy to ascent and descent these stairs with bags in hand. Then one must get on and off a bus. Assistance by airport personnel for my wife was very good. Overall the airport is definitely past its "best if used by" date. Can't speak about Terminal 3 but Terminals 1 and 2 were very congested. In general I still prefer GRU to GIG (Rio) but that isn't saying much.

(Italy)

Obviously GRU isn't a perfect airport but there are many things to do. The New terminal is wonderful and there are many shops and services I have never had any problems with this airport.

Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport customer review

Terminal 3 (new terminal) was quiet clean and comfortable. The ceilings are high compared to the old stuffy terminals and the shops and restaurants were nicely spread from each other. This new terminal could be anywhere in the world and I think the Brazilians architects and interior designers could have added a bit more colours and exotic touches (vegetation murals mini exhibits of the country's diversity etc). This was the only let down especially with the World Cup starting in a few weeks.

Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport customer review

GRU doesn't create a great first impression as it's clearly an ageing 1960s/70s building dark and gloomy. Its not the quickest immigration queue I've been in but by no means the worst (Hello Heathrow). Very helpful taxi who helped sort out a large group of us to the correct destination at the right price. There's not a huge range of shops before departures but we had a nice lunch at the buffet restaurant. The prices might be a bit high by Brazilian standards but again compare favourably with Heathrow. The slowest queue I have ever encountered for passport control on departures – most countries seem to be in a hurry to get rid of you but not Brazil. Not much beyond security in terms of eating and shops and the prices in the duty-free all seemed to be in US dollars.

Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport customer review

Fly into this airport once or twice a year. It is a disaster. It has facilities which in no way reflect its status as South America's premier air hub. Airside in the terminal we use for London flights there are very few shops or eateries and it is very crowded. There isn't even anywhere we can use the internet. Very poor indeed.

Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport customer review

Arrived at GRU December 17 immigration took only 30 minutes. Facilities still very limited - had multiple flights luggage on 1 carousel - 4 other carousels sat idle. Toilets not overly clean. No longer required to fill out customs declaration - was always a waste of time as either no one looked at them or even collected them. Will it cope in June?

(Brazil)

I beg to disagree with those who feel Rio's Tom Jobim Airport (GIG) is the worst in Brazil. GRU is the worst IMHO. The baggage claim area has go to be one of the worst-configured I've seen: little space between baggage carousels and that made worse by the fact that baggage carts (at least they're free) are stacked between the carousels. When crowds jam around a carousel after a large plane arrives chaos can ensue. If it's a hot day the lack of effective air conditioning makes things worse (what this will be like during the World Cup I don't know). After Customs we stood in a long line to check our bags for a connecting domestic flight. Then went upstairs through security (that was quick) and downstairs to a crowded departure gate serving two flights. Passengers were told to get on one of two buses depending on their destination. Then we all went to exactly the same remote terminal and waited again for our flights (at least there was air conditioning here). Had to walk up stairs to get to the planes (if you have heavy carry-on bags and aren't in great shape pity you).

Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport customer review

Far away from downtown there were a lot of hold-ups on the motorway. So take a lot of time to go there. Our flying crew were late because of congestion. Staff are not very efficient but very nice. It isn't clean at all and for such huge airport there's very few shops. Security check is the longest queue I have experienced.

Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport customer review

Worst airport I have been to. Poor signaling - (if you don't ask somebody who speaks English or even Spanish you're lost). Constantly changing gates. No fast way to move people by way of electric walkways. Most announcements are only in Portuguese which I find discourteous. Not enough gates so we have to take a bus to get to a connecting flight. They are not ready for World Cup or the Olympics. I enjoy visiting Brazil but when I think of what I have to endure to get there I prefer to go elsewhere.