San Francisco Airport

"nowhere near as bad as I was expecting"

Trip Verified | Used San Francisco to depart on July 23. To be honest we found the airport perfectly OK (bearing in mind some of the reviews) but we only used it for departure. Travelled in by BART train from Pioneer - very easy journey even with luggage as the train terminated at International A - and about 3 minutes walk from the BA check in desks. Couldn't be easier. Checked in and got Pre TSA screened which meant through security in not much time at all. Flight was 4 hours away (the second of 2 BA flights) and flying Club Class so used the BA Lounge. The actual International Departure area after security looked quite small but it didn't have the usual hordes of people aimlessly milling about between the fast food outlets, coffee shops, sports bars and departure gates. Also quite wide so gave an airy uncrowded feel, and had some nice seating areas with tables. Probably would have been pretty dull and boring if we weren't using BA's lounge. It did have a couple of restaurants at the very end of the terminal which actually looked very nice with great views of the runways. A real scrum with no apparent order when the flight was called, but all in all nowhere near as bad as I was expecting from the previous reviews.

"Boring terminal"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | I was surprised that on Terminal G of SFO, after security check, there are only very few shops that were opened, with only Gucci as the international brand, and three restaurants. Boring terminal!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"This place is extremely unorganized"

Not Verified | Every single person I know has had a horrific experience here, but mine began when my flight got delayed 10 times and they would only tell us in only 30 minute incriminates. The food is horrible and the staff are the most unhelpful I have ever experienced. This place is extremely unorganized and everyone seems to be scrambling because their flights are messed up as well. Avoid at all costs.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Sort this out SFO!"

Not Verified | Worst experience I've had in immigration lines. 90 minute delay from getting off plane to exiting immigration/customs. First the automatic scanning of passport was good and fast, but then we waited in a barely moving line as four immigration officers tried to process 1000+ incoming travelers, and proceeded to repeat what the automatic scanning device did (fingerprints and photo). Asked twice why there was such a delay, customer support replied by blaming it one the airlines 'poorly scheduled arrivals'. Eventually immigration staff were increased to 6 people processing the backlog. Sort this out SFO! I'll try to come through Oakland in future. Great to be treated like cattle.

"fix your wifi SFO!"

Not Verified | I am currently writing this review on my cell phone instead of my computer because the WiFi is horrendous. I cannot even express how frustrating it is to try to log onto the WiFi upwards of 50 times and get no results. I’m leaving this airport (thank god) and won’t have to experience it any time soon. It is nearly impossible to get internet on a device that doesn’t have cellular because of this WiFi issue. I am extremely unsatisified with my departure (the wifi issue) and my arrival. The airline we flew in with had lost my bag and even though they had it to us pretty fast, it was still very inconvenient. Overall, fix your wifi SFO! It is extremely unprofessional, unexceptable and unnecessarily difficult.
Date VisitJune 2018

"People backed up back to the gate"

Trip Verified | It took more than 3 Hours through immigration. No one there to ask a question. Since I traveled alone no chance to go to restrooms. When I asked someone to look after my bag for a minute to check with someone to see if there could be anything done to reach my connecting flight, all that I got was someone shouting at me from one of the officers. To picture it: Some flights had arrived in a short sequence, there must been more than 1000 people and there were 4 officers, one of them dealing exclusively with a large number of people using a wheelchair. After that he disappeared. People backed up back to the gate. So if more than 3 hours are not enough to get a connection, then I guess you cannot go through SFO at all. I made it with closing doors, sweating like hell, and wishing I hadn't booked my vacation. I booked business to have a pleasant trip, this did not work. Maybe it is some support for the airlines, so that tickets have to bought twice. So: If visitors with a willing credit card and in good spirit to use it are abosutely not welcome, why not close the border completely? Fortunately the nice people on Hawaii made more than up for it. I doubt I will travel through or to SFO ever again.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Staff were inefficient and rude"

Trip Verified | Disappointing experience in SFO. Upon arrival, waited close to two hours to exit customs. Now at departure, queue to security was an hour long. Staff were inefficient and rude. Toilets were littered with used seat covers. Shops were limited. Queue for lift to enter departure area was also slow. Nothing to be excited about really, if given a choice, I will never fly out of this airport again. Note to all passengers - Account for a long waiting time and be very early. Airport wifi was spotty. Upon arrival - unable to connect for close to an hour (but I was already queuing for 2 hours at the customs so..). Upon departure, wifi comes on and off. They can work more on signages to inform passengers better - be it security checks or even direction to gates.
Date VisitMay 2018

"there is always a delay"

Not Verified | Every time we fly into SFO there is always a delay due to traffic. Why does this only ever happen here? Is there a shortage of air traffic controllers? We are to the point of rather flying into Oakland.
Date VisitMay 2018

"very long queues at immigration"

Trip Verified | As usual very long queues at immigration. They seriously need to modify their immigration hall; its too small and cramped for handling so many international arrivals all the time. There are substantial immigration counters but very few staff. The baggage area is also very small and gets crowded because the flights arrive in quick succession but the immigration takes time, so there's a lot of baggage waiting to be collected. Customs is fast and they don't bother you much.
Date VisitMay 2018

"the most disorganised airport"

Trip Verified | As a seasoned traveller I am accustomed to arriving at chaotic airports but never in a million years expected to witness such poor customer service / organisation at a US airport! Arrived on A380 flight from London at the same time as an Air France flight. 10 minute walk to passport check not too bad but that is as good as it got! Met by a very rude SFO staff member whom herded us like cattle into the international queue. It was at this point that it dawned on me I was going to be there a while ... a very long while to be precise. 10+ CBP desks all unmanned except ,yep you guessed, 1 CBP to check what I estimated to be at least 400 people in the queue. I counted probably 100 in front of me so unless they were to put more staff on (I counted at least 3 walking around chatting but not on desks) average 2-3 mins per person, I was in the queue for the long haul (pun intended!) There were families with small children in the queue some as young as 2 whose parents seemed to be at their wits end trying to keep them within the confines of the queuing system ......come on SFO airport sort it out so those with very small children and the elderly be given priority it is not on! Anyway after 2 hours in the queue and approx 40 people in front of me somebody took the initiative to open up a few more desks and some 30 mins later I received my stamp and was in the baggage hall. At least I won’t have to wait for my bag to arrive I thought - wrong it had arrived but then they had put the Air France flight on the same carousel mixing everybody’s bags up. As we had all been in immigration so long the bags had been removed from the belts and dotted around the baggage hall. Top tip if you can’t find your suitcase and are told that it has arrived ask to see if any bags had been taken downstairs to make space! As after about 50 minutes that was where I had to gamble on going (have to clear customs to go downstairs with no way back if it is not there) to visually identify it - to summarise disembark the airplane 1700 arrive immigration 1710 walk out of the airport at 2030 makes SFO officially the most disorganised airport I have ever had the displeasure to arrive sprinkle it with unmotivated rude staff really gives such a poor first impression of what is a fantastic city / country which is a shame! Next time I visit it will be OAK or SJC no way will I ever go through SFO again!