San Francisco Airport

"how behind this airport is"

Not Verified | I had a flight from New Zealand to San Francisco (3:34-6:30) and a connecting flight from San Francisco to Cancun Mexico (8:41-4:54). As soon as we landed I was informed that all check-in bags would need to be picked up and rechecked, sure no problem I thought to myself because I had 2:20 min to spare. I ended up standing in the customs line for a 1:45min. I talked to 3 workers who were "in charge of managing the lines if I could skip the line ... they said no" I asked the customs agent if I could cut in line and he says "sorry not our problem" Mind you that there were only 2 agents working the whole time. So after already accepting that I missed my flight (boarding time was at 8:05), I get to the baggage area where there were no signs saying where my bag would be because it already been close to 2 hours since we landed. I find my bag thrown in a pile of other suitcases. I get to my airline desk explained the situation and they rebooked my flight .. great! But they made me go through security all over again which ended up costing me another hour to which I barely ended making my rebooked flight by 5 min! If you can avoid this airport at all costs, go to SJC or even Oakland they'll probably take better care of their passengers. It is ridiculous how we do not use computers like many European countries as customs! Very outdated methods that are broken. To make matters worse I wanted to file an actual complaint but they want you to mail it in, instead of emailing a complaint. Just shows how behind this airport is. I thought we were in Silicon Valley!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"airport is not at the level it should be"

Trip Verified | San Francisco is a fantastic city and its airport is not at the level it should be. The queuing time is the most important and performs too poorly. Tops - Wifi is easy to connect and fast - you get your bags fast. Bottoms - Security lines are extremely long (30 to 45 min) - Customs are way too long for visitors (1h to 2h easily).
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Dirty, slow, no signage"

Not Verified | Simple review: one of the worst airports I have ever flown into. Dirty, slow, no signage. Employees unfriendly and useless. Lounge is a complete disaster. There is so much to fix that they would be better off closing it and opening a new one.

"unfriendly employees"

Trip Verified | I've never seen anything like it. There is complete chaos and arbitrariness at the security line (departure Terminal International). The ladies at the entrance distribute the guests as they please - even as a priority guest you are put in the longest queue. The duration of the control due to bad-tempered and unfriendly employees is the longest I have ever experienced at an airport worldwide. Especially the unnecessary taking off of shoes with modern scanners is not comprehensible.

"not passenger-friendly"

Not Verified | Cannot believe how backwards the immigration, security and departures are! The airport is not passenger-friendly at all! Definitely will not be coming here again! No one is helpful and signage is non-existent.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"longest time ever to pass the immigration counter"

Not Verified | The longest time ever to pass the immigration counter - over 2 hours. Many of our co-passengers missed their connection-flights. During our waiting time in the queue most of the people, working at the counters, left their place and didn't come back. Golf-Baggage totally destroyed.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Staff are barely polite"

Not Verified | Third time that I fly to SFO in the past 6-7 months and the experience at arrival and immigration has been consistent, appalling and you can forget your comnection if you don't have a minimum of 2 hours. I am writing this review while in the queue and I have been there for already one hour andmost likely will take as much if not more by the time I clear immigration, this is absolutely unforgiving for an airport like SFO which is meant to be a gateway for tourists and workers in the Silicon Valley. LAX used to be the worse airport on the west coast but SFO is now getting that top spot. Staff are barely polite, the queuing system is at best organised chaos, this is shameful!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Thanks a million for the person who reported it!"

Trip Verified | I arrived in SFO as I did many times in the past, except I lost my passport in the airport this time! After frantically searching for it in vain, with help from SFO Info desk and SFPD Officer, I was extremely lucky in finding it via United Airline and local personnel. It was found outside a security check point, someone picked it up and gave it to local officials and then to United supervisors. As I was walking with Officer Whitney, the local official approached us and asked “Did you lose a passport?” That’s how we found it! Thanks a million for the person who reported it!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Appalling immigration setup"

Trip Verified | Appalling immigration setup. No attempt by uncaring female observing immigration staff to usher families with babies and toddlers to front of near 100 metre serpentine line of non US travellers. As a transit passenger I spent near 3 hours and made my connection by minutes. Why as a transit traveller with an e-visa did I need my R fingers, R thumb, L fingers, L thumb imaged plus a photo? Never had to endure a pat down top to toe when had a handkerchief in pocket. Had to remove a plastic tooth pick! Man on moon 50 years ago but this chaos. Go to Vancouver airport. All this and bio security via self serve consoles. Through immigration in 5 minutes.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"the worst experience"

Not Verified | Landed at 1pm. Stayed on the tarmac till 1:30. Got into the immigration line at 1:45. 3 hours later we are still not even close to the counter. Still, have to get our bags and clear customs!! Easily the worst experience at an international airport.
Date VisitAugust 2019