San Diego Airport

"very few seats available"

Not Verified | Without a doubt, this is the worst airport I have ever used. Me and my husband departed from Tampa and had to use San Diego Airport to transfer to Boise, ID. We got off our plane and immediately I noticed how crowded this very small terminal was and very few seats available. Most people had to stand in the aisles. I looked at our boarding pass for the next flight and couldn’t find the gate. They do not post any directional signs which is ridiculous. We found a TSA agent for some help and we were informed that it was in another building and would have to be screened again. Couldn’t believe it! Even though we just got off a flight, we had to empty everything on the X-ray belt, including my snacks in my purse. The TSA agents were still pretty nice though so I can’t complain about them. After that fiasco, we wanted to sit down and have something to eat before our next flight but forget about that. They have only a couple of restaurants and all of the space was taken. We will avoid this Airport in the future at all costs.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Awful airport"

Not Verified | Awful airport. One bathroom for an entire terminal? There were lines out the door for both the men's and the women's rooms. One place to eat with no seating and less than 10 items on the menu. No place to sit at the gate. They ask you arrive over 2 hours early for your flight and then offer you no where to sit. I have been to over a dozen different airports and this is by far the worse I have ever been to. The only saving grace is the workers are nice, but when you have no where to sit and can barely move through the terminal, this hardly matters.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Terminal one is the worst"

Trip Verified | Terminal one is the worst terminal in the country! It is completely overcrowded with poor restaurants, no Starbucks and one set of bathrooms. It is terrible. I cannot believe the fire marshal can be ok with this. The line for the women's bathroom was 40 people deep! The Counter is ok but overall this terminal rates a 1 out of a scale from 1 to 10.
Date VisitApril 2018

"airport is always disorganized"

Not Verified | It is absolutely ridiculous that someone transferring has to go through security a second time. This airport is always disorganized and has rude workers. And no help is offered for instructions on where to go. There is absolutely no reason to make Gates of connecting flights so far away.
Date VisitApril 2018

"There needs to be regulations"

Not Verified | Dropping my daughter off this morning to go back to college after spring break, a Southwest flight back to UCLA. I pulled up to let her out of the car with her bags curbside with her father and sister to check in. I gave my daughter a hug and began to walk back to my car to go around to the parking area when 2 security guards came up the walk way staring at my car, then the second I get into my seat one security guard began to flash his lights into my car signaling me to leave, “No waiting he says" as if my car was parked there. I drove away as my husband and daughter were walking up to the car, I had to come all the way back around to pick my husband and daughter up because I didn’t want to be harassed by them. It’s happened before. There needs to be regulations on them. If you can’t drop off your child without getting harassed by security that’s just sad.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Just no customer service"

Not Verified | My son is in the military and was flying to San Francisco then to Korea. We really didn't know where to go. So we tried to check in outside, the gentleman outside was rude. Told us to go inside to the United counter but with an attitude because we didn't know. Then the lady inside told us to stand in another line. We waited there, same lady had to come and help us, but because the other lady was taking to long too check in the customer in front of us. Just no customer service. Was very sad. No smile, no nothing.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Very poor management and procedures"

Trip Verified | Security checkpoint was ridiculous. Worst I have seen in some time as a frequent traveller. One TSA officer checking ID for everyone including TSA pre. Everyone channeled into one line for x-ray and baggage, with TSA pre still needing to take everything out. What's the point? Very poor management and procedures.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"It was chaos"

Trip Verified | The change recently to move Uber downstairs on the ISLAND vs where it used to be upstairs at departures is a horrible decision. Myself and 100, it seemed, of my closest Uber friends waited in what seemed like the worst possible location for Uber. It was chaos. The one attendant trying to tell everyone to move was useless and made things worse frankly. Move Uber back, we all know SAN gets tons of money from us/them. The current location seems like an thoughtless decision by someone who has never been to either location. Change it back!
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"a more pleasant airport than many"

Verified Review | San Diego airport is a nice size but a short on restaurants and other amenities and can be become congested at peak times. At Terminal 1 there are two isolated gate concourses and each only has one real restaurant. You can't get from one concourse to the other without going back through TSA. It's a poor design and gives the vendors in each concourse a monopoly. Getting to the airport can get very congested at busy times as there are some severe bottlenecks for cars, taxis, shuttles, Uber, etc. But at non-peak hours and times of year it's generally pretty good. It's not the airport's fault directly, but the surface streets around the airport are crumbling, sometimes too narrow, have pot holes that could swallow a german shepard, and make getting too and from the airport unpleasant at best. Also look for the nearby Mobile station to refuel your rental car. The closer Shell is nearly a $1/gallon more (at least in Feb 2017). It's annoying all the shuttles, taxis, rental car bus, etc pick you up and drop you off on the other side of an impenetrable fence. So you're forced to go up a long slow escalator to take a sky bridge. Many airports, even much larger ones, have crosswalks across the surface traffic to get to those areas but SAN forces you to use the awkward sky bridge. On the plus side the WiFi is free, fast, and easy to access. What few food options there are tend to be fairly decent (if typically airport expensive). They also have some decent options before passing through TSA (unlike many airports) including the Breeze and Jack In The Box at Terminal 1. And the restaurants that I've been to (including Breeze) clearly display the prices for everything including adult beverages (unlike many airports). TSA lines are generally reasonable and, even at peak times, I think I've waited at most around 15 minutes. But each TSA station serves relatively few gates which helps a lot. It's nothing like the TSA nightmare in Seattle. There's also the relatively new centralized rental car center which is a big improvement over a bunch of little off-site rental locations. The shuttle service is faster and, if for some reason, something goes wrong picking up your rental you have a dozen or so other choices in the same building. Overall SAN is a more pleasant airport than many.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"never enough seats"

Southwest Airlines terminal has 12 womens toilets for 10 gates, there is always a 15 to 25 plus person line, not for the mens room though. There are never enough seats, the food options lines are always long and if you change planes and get gate 1, 1a, you have to go through security again and there is no TSA line. Hate flying through here.
Date VisitJuly 2016