Newark Airport

Newark Airport customer review

This is without question the most miserable airport I've used in the US. Airport is seemingly ancient with very poor layout and huge security lines. One TSA person went out of her way to be nasty while others were reasonable. Gate personnel at one gate were yelling at passengers and insulting them; something I've never seen anywhere else. Food was of the really bad airport variety although the Oyster bar seemed to break the Newark mould. I wouldn't voluntarily use this airport again.

Newark Airport customer review

Worst airport I have been to in a long time. Layout is so bad you must go through TSA checkpoint between terminals. Terrible signage and a hopelessly overcrowded Airtrain. Third airport appears to be unfixable. The filth and disrepair might be fixable but no evidence of any effort.

(New Zealand)

Despite the many negative reviews I've seen concerning Newark my experience was quite different. Travelling there from NY was fast checking in was effective and the TSA weren't invasive as I had previously thought. the only drawbacks were the queues at security and that there weren't enough shops (I did find a Starbucks there but it was on the other side of the terminal).

Newark Airport customer review

Horrible. Service at food stands was lackadaisical; service at airline desks terrible. Directions? Who can be bothered. Only one bathroom for hundreds of passengers coming in from international flights before customs. No signs to direct holders of US Passports.

Newark Airport customer review

I recently flew into Newark airport and had a wheelchair ordered at the time of ticket purchase. I got off the plane and had asked the wheelchair attendant for a wheelchair and was told I could walk. I was very upset and not very pleased with how I was treated. Due to my surgery I should not have been walking that far or up and down all those steps.

Newark Airport customer review

Staff at airport to get you from place to place were very nice. TSA was horrible. I saw one TSA lady scream at passengers after she had given them unclear directions another walked down the line hitting the plexiglass barrier and 'herding' the passengers over to the left. Very rude TSA personnel very inefficient design (and I know it's retrofitted but it's not working).

Newark Airport customer review

Both my inbound and outbound flights were Continental. I would have thought that they would have sent my baggage straight through to the outbound plane - but no - I had to collect it and then check it in again! The Border Control Agents we spoke to were surly and borderline aggressive. Not once did they say please. I found the lines at security long and sluggish. The distance between departure gates was huge and resulted in me running to attempt to catch my connecting flight. By the time I eventually got to my departure gate the flight was closed. I found this airport really stressful to navigate!
Airport Shopping N/A

Newark Airport customer review

I travel all over the world on a regular basis and this is without a doubt the worst airport I have been to. Even third world countries do not have such a bad airport. Avoid at all costs. I suggest if you have the possibility to do a layover elsewhere then do that. Staff are unfriendly the airport is dirty disorganized nothing properly labelled the border control agents were extremely aggressive - never been treated so poorly.

Newark Airport customer review

We experienced a complete disregard for passengers when we connected from an international flight to a domestic flight. Our flight arrived late. The airport was not busy yet the Port Authority chose to dock at the opposite end of Terminal C from immigration and customs. People had to make a mad dash the length of the terminal to get to immigration. Immigration and customs were relatively quick and efficient if not courteous. 30 minutes after our flight landed no luggage was on the baggage carousel 10 minutes later a few pieces started to appear. Then the carousel shut down and did not move for 20 minutes. Finally we were able to collect our luggage and re-check the bags. There was only one security gate in the terminal open and it was at the opposite end of the terminal from immigration and customs. Again another mad dash the length of the terminal. Crowd management at security was more chaotic than any other airport I've visited. Fortunately for us our airline (United) was as incompetent as the Port Authority and our connecting flight was late so we made it. The food is overpriced the restroom facilities were filthy. We will be avoiding in the future.

Newark Airport customer review

We waited for a very long time to get a sky bridge delivered to our plane so we could exit. People were waiting for a long time for wheel chairs. The service there is sub par at best. In the terminal waiting areas there are not enough power receptacles for laptop use or phone charging. They did not have a wide selection of restaurants to choose from. Our flight was a final destination flight but we had to change airlines to reach our actual final destination. To do this we had to travel to the other side of the airport check-in and then re pass through security. We were inside of the airport facility but still had to go through the process of the security check. Also our baggage which was supposed to be put on a belt at the baggage claim was instead put in a room without our knowledge. We were lucky to ask the right person about it and it was found. I think they should improve their signage to make navigating the airport easier.