Newark Airport

"disorganization and chaos"

Not Verified | We were flying home from a weekend in New Jersey on Sunday, November 15, 2020. We arrived around noon for a 3:00 pm flight on United Airlines. The disorganization and chaos was something out of a movie. Nobody at United knew where to go, the lines were out the door, and the employees seemed lost. Nobody was able to answer questions. One guy (not with us) was yelling out loud for someone from United Airlines to please assist with the chaos. We had my grandsons who are 7 and 5 years old. Thank goodness they were patient because it took us over 100 minutes to check in and check our bags. I have never in all my years experienced anything like it. I had TSA recheck on my boarding pass and the lady acted like she didn’t know where it was. I went through the regular line to avoid more problems. (on another note, I flew home on October 12 from here and the TSA precheck was CLOSED. People were livid! Why do we close that on a busy Sunday?) United Airlines should take most of the blame for this but Newark gets a little also. It was awful! We grabbed a quick bite before the flight and paid $36 for a salad and a small soda. I certainly hope someone sees this and does something about it. Thank you!
Date VisitNovember 2020

"Dirty Terminal A"

Not Verified | Dirty Terminal A, almost nasty. TSA precheck were bumbling around, fumbling with bags on the belt, standing around chatting with each other and basically not paying attention. True amateur hour.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"Water vending machines needed"

Not Verified | Water vending machines needed after security. All stores obviously closed due to COVID. Pass the security only a water fountainis available. Is that hygienic considering the rate at which the virus keeps spreading? There are 2 vending machines that sell electronics. Please exchange those for a water one! In the meantime, bring an empty bottle of water with you.
Date VisitMay 2020

"Worst experience ever"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever. I had a long lay over and wanted to go to a lounge in a different concourse but was unable too. Every time you go to a different concourse you have to go back through security if they let you. They prescribe your tickets and if you are set for a different concourse they block you. I will never go through here again.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"I want to change this policy of separating family"

Not Verified | I was travelling with my family for a vacation. This is the first time we encountered the barking dog security check and it was horrible. My son was sniffed by the dog and was asked to step aside by the security as we the rest of the family was standing there. I had to walk beside the barking dog and was asked to come back to the starting place to walk again with the dog. My son was taken by a cop to another scanning area when we the three of the family were standing in another area for checking. Why couldn't they take all of us together when we were travelling together. He was terrified so were the rest of the family. We couldn't see him. After we were checked in the cop brought him to us. My son said he was scared. Please stop this practice. I want to change this policy of separating family for additional checking.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"the staff were absolutely awful"

Trip Verified | This airport was horrible. Stopped here for a connecting flight home from London. Most of the staff were absolutely awful. This was only my second time flying and my mother’s first. Staff did not acknowledge us or attempt to help us, when we asked they acted like we were a bother to them. The customs person checking passports and boarding passes snatched my phone from me to scan my boarding pass. The woman in TSA had a major attitude and got mad when we told her that the bins under the table that she said were empty actually had stuff in them. I was in a great mood after my vacation but the staff at this airport ruined it completely. The staff at London Heathrow, Richmond International, Dulles, and Dubai International airports were never rude and disrespectful like this. It’s a shame, honestly, that first and second time travelers, let alone anyone at all, should have to be treated like this and made to feel dumb.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"I'd still rather fly here than to LaGuardia"

Trip Verified | I flew into Terminal A and out of Terminal C the next day, both on United Express. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to leave the airport on public transit on the weekend because NJ Transit schedules 3 trains within 15 minutes of each other, then makes you wait 45 minutes for the next one. For that reason, I reluctantly shelled out for a Lyft into New York. I really appreciated that Newark lets you get into Lyft vehicles directly at the curbside - too many airports these days make you walk long distances to a distant parking garage to get your ride, but Newark's customer-friendly decision to let me get picked up at the curb meant that I could be on my way within 10 minutes of arriving, for which I give them high marks. Departing out of Terminal C was a little more hectic, the signage for how to get to security from the check-in desks was inadequate, and the employees who were supposed to be directing traffic were rude when asked for assistance. The food in Terminal C was overpriced, but I thought the quality was actually decent, and I liked the ability to order food on a tablet at the gate and get it delivered. Newark isn't great, and I wish the public transit powers that be would spread the trains out a little more so that there aren't 45 minutes wait for trains. But I'd still rather fly here than to LaGuardia.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"What an embarrassment"

Trip Verified | Used Newark as a connection on my way back from London. What an embarrassment. Terrible systems in place for international travel. Filthy dirty with trash everywhere. Food is very overpriced. I will pay extra to avoid this airport in the future. I've been in a lot of American airports and this is the worst by far.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"never, ever again use this airport"

Not Verified | I fly the world over and still can’t believe the free market has not eliminated this underperforming airport. Hard to believe there is no dedicated custom for people with connections nor do they have a dedicated security line for connecting flight. I am skipping comments to the airline which was as blatantly not caring or competent. Promised myself to never, ever again use this airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Severe need for an upgrade"

Not Verified | Every time I come here the waiting area is at least 78 degrees, much too hot to wait for an hour for a flight. Searched all areas of the gate area and not one cool spot. Very restricted food and drink availability at the gate area. Only one restaurant one snack bar. If you are hungry eat before you come to this gate. Bathrooms are clean! Severe need for an upgrade. Very out dated and dirty looking terminal.
Date VisitDecember 2019