Naples Airport

"it was hot, confusing and chaotic"

Trip Verified | Having had a wonderful holiday in Sorrento we vowed to return, sadly the awful experience of Naples Airport means we will never travel into or out of there again. It took 3.5 hours to get to the airport the worst part being the small single lane slip road that leads off the busy motorway being wholly inadequate for the volume of traffic arriving. Once we’d edged through the chaos we had to wait over 30 minutes in 34 degrees of heat on the coach as they only allow one bus in at a time. Finally getting to arrivals we were met with one huge check in queue for all TUI flights and after standing for nearly an hour and getting nowhere fast we were pulled from the line, fast tracked and directed to a small lift big enough for about 6 to get upstairs to departures. We used the one staircase instead and my heart sunk as everywhere upstairs was rammed with people sitting and standing wherever they could find space. Having made our way to the departure gates it was obvious that there were many flights waiting to get through passport control, hundreds of people all jammed in together, it was hot, confusing and chaotic. The passport desk couldn’t operate because there were no space on the other side for any more people, all the time more and more passengers funnelling in behind us. The check in desk kept constantly changing and people were getting panicky about the crush, the heat and possible missed flights. Our flight was eventually allowed through and we bussed over to the aircraft, the doors were closed and we prepared for takeoff only to sit on the tarmac for over 2 hours with the captain apologising but saying he had no idea what was going on. It was obvious they had wanted us out of the airport and onto the plane to free up space. The TUI cabin manager said it was like it every time they flew in there, they have to wait to land, wait to be allowed to park up and wait generally 20 minutes for steps to arrive, maybe they shouldn’t be going there. Had there been an incident at the airport I dread to think of what might happen in that dangerously overcrowded space. I have never experienced anything like it and I hope I never do again.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"bring your patience and your sense of humor"

Not Verified | There should be a sign above the entrance to this airport that reads “Abandon all hope ye who enter here”. Pay the 8 euros for priority security but be prepared for perhaps the biggest disaster in customs/passport control on earth. I have visited airports with absolutely no system in place (Cambodia, Myanmar) and they somehow where 10 x’s more efficient. Italy has been home to some of the finest minds in history but the Naples airport reminds us that they are all dead. Passport control is located right outside the gates (awful design) and the agents working there seem to almost revel in the opportunity to make a terrible situation even worse with no sense of urgency. If it weren’t for the efforts of the only motivated employee in the entire airport who herded people as best he could, I have no doubt that I would be spending the next 5 days of vacation discovering the various levels of Dante’s hell. The only advice I can give is you is that you need to take an “every man for yourself” approach to the whole process. Do not just wait in line hoping that God will provide for God has forsaken this place. Do not be a “sheep” for your travel plans will surely be slaughtered. All things considered, Italy is still one of the most beautiful places on Earth and so are it’s people. No matter how bad the Naples airport may be, nothing can change the fact that this Country needs to be at the top of your list of places to visit. Just bring your patience and your sense of humor if you are flying through the Naples airport.
Date VisitJune 2019

"we waited 90 mins for our luggage"

Trip Verified | We used Naples airport for our arrival and departure to begin and end a cruise in Naples. On arrival it took about 15 minutes to locate steps so we could disembark our aircraft and during this time no one had began to empty the luggage from the aircraft. On arrival at the luggage carousel we waited 90 mins for our luggage, several flights had landed and the passengers were gone with their luggage before we had ours. There was no communication regarding the delay. Departure, we were dropped at the airport 3 hours prior to our flight by TUI despite luggage being bonded from our ship and checking in online. The main restaurant/shopping area was very busy but we managed to get a seat and a sandwich. The toilets here were very clean and modern. There are very few information screens. We took the escalator to the lower floor and were met with a sea of people and no obvious information screens regarding gates. When we found one we realised we were to be at gate B15 which was through automated passport gates, we used the gates which were very busy and there was nowhere to go. We were in a tight crowd in a fairly narrow area which was overflowing from the gate areas. We found a space near the wall and I went to use the toilet, I immediately left as they were disgusting. We soon realised that those in the right side of this crowd who were trying to get into gate B15 were a combination of flights to Dublin and Glasgow. The lack of screens and tannoy information meant no one knew who was to actually be at the gate and who was to be boarding and there wasn’t enough room to comfortably accommodate 1 flight of passengers anyway, let alone 2. Once the Dublin flight had boarded the Glasgow fight boarding passes and passports were checked, but with no call and still an Aer Lingus logo on the gate, not TUi. Were were put in a hot, glass fronted and non-air conditioned room with perhaps 20 seats. Some of the older passengers were feeling faint and unwell. There was no information screen, no information from staff and no water. The departure time came and went and still no information. On checking my phone the online information was still for 2pm take off as scheduled, we were eventually put on buses after more than an hour wait and take off was at approx 2:50. The crew told us that there were no steps to disembark the previous passengers and no buses available, hence the delay. On landing we received an sms and email from tui that had been sent at 12.45 informing us of our flight delay, but Naples airport hadn’t informed us. I understand that tourism has increased the demand on the airport and that the Wednesday chage over days for the cruise is a huge strain on the airport and that it takes time to implement plans etc but extra information screens, better communication, more staff, more seating and general respect for passengers can all be done fairly quickly.
Date VisitJune 2019

"airport is completely unorganized"

Trip Verified | This airport is completely unorganized. I got there 3 hours before my flight. Went to the ticket counter shown in the terminal (see picture). Nobody knew anything about the flight. I must have asked 5 airport employees and ticket agents. None of them knew anything except after my flight left. I missed my flight had to re-book for the next day. One thing that really added insult to injury was the statement that the customer service rep said to me; "this isn't Miami" (insinuating that they do things different in Naples). If I had said something rude I could understand but I didn't! I've flown all over the world and never saw this level of ignorance and rudeness. If I was acting badly I might understand. But they seemed to be defensive and rude. This will be my first and last visit to the Naples Airport.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Shambolic at best. Dangerous at worst"

Not Verified | Shambolic at best. Dangerous at worst. Arrival: Time for luggage to arrive at carousel unacceptable. Having to collect luggage when booked on a cruise unacceptable. Having to drag said luggage to a coach approx. 1/4 mile (estimate, maybe further) away unacceptable. Departure: Calling three (minimum) flights to departure gates at the same time causing confusion and chaos unacceptable. Passengers requiring assistance unable to negotiate the sea of people in front of them unacceptable. Closing passport control due to said sea of people blocking any further progress, causing some to almost miss their flights pathetic. Consequently making flight departures late - unacceptable. This was the first time I had flown to this airport and I will never ever go there again. I will also complain strongly to Marella / TUI. I have been to airports with chickens on the runway which were better organised and took better care of their passengers. This debacle was a disgrace. Changing the departure date to B7 from B14 at the last moment didn't help either. I could go on I am so angry and disgusted.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Airport experience put me off"

Not Verified | Massive queue for check in, boarding passes and toilets. Seems shops more important than amenities. Called to boarding gate and left to stand there for about 1hr 15mins with no info, when I approached a member if staff I was waved away and she walked off. Airport experience put me off travelling to that part of Italy again!
Date VisitMay 2019

"Appalling treatment by the airport"

Not Verified | Do not get a taxi from this airport without first knowing the prices are supposed to be fixed. The local drivers will charge you 2 to 3 times the proper costs. If you arrive between 12.30 am and 3.30am for an early flight you will be removed from the airport by armed security and put outside like dogs regardless of the weather. I have just witnessed over 100 people being asked to sit out side. Appalling treatment by the airport.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Very organized airport"

Not Verified | Very organized airport. Overall the staff were helpful and smiley. I really enjoyed the time in the airport. The food in the various bar was so tasty from pizza to the neapolitan babà. Will come back to visit the city for sure.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"queuing system was a shambles"

Not Verified | The queuing system was a shambles. The information disseminated was unhelpful and disorganised and the staff were lacking for the volume of passengers that needed attending to.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Security lines slow"

Not Verified | Toilet has been closed for cleaning for over 30 minutes. Signs to other toilets lead nowhere. Seating is good. More options to eat before going through security than after. Security lines slow. Dodgy ticket scanners.
Date VisitOctober 2018