Mexico City Airport

"very bad first impression"

(Mexico)

Not Verified | Arriving at Mexico city terminal 1 or 2 gives the international traveller a very bad first impression. The airport, generally is dirty. The lighting and overall ambience is depressing. Like a bus station from the 1970s. After picking up my luggage I can never take my suitcase beyond the men who are arrogant and explain the rules are no luggage trolleys past them! This is obviously unions and corruption at its finest. Welcome to Mexico. So I have a choice, to get to my taxi just 50 meters away I have to let these thugs take my baggage and transfer it to their luggage carriers. It's a very stupid system or I can carry my bags myself. Seating street side is non existant! Zero seats! People sit on the floors! I'm talking about the areas outside the check-in rooms. No seats. So family has to stand or sit on the floor waiting for me to check in. Mexico is a beautiful crazy country. Mexico City Airport is something that all Mexicans should be ashamed of.
Date VisitApril 2019

"shameful disgrace"

Not Verified | Avoid an international transit through MEX. You will have to go through immigration, which could easily take an hour if there is a long line and few agents. That also means you have to have filled out an immigration card, both top and bottom - though nobody will tell you that until you hit the unhelpful agent who will send you back to do it. Then you may or may not have to collect your luggage (not if coming from the US or Europe, but yes if coming from South America or some other region). Then you have to go through security again. Then you have to find your gate, which may or may not be posted on the overhead signs (seriously; our Aeromexico flight to Vancouver was never listed there) and may say either K or M, which appears to designate different airport wings (we never really found out). There is very little signage to direct you as to what to do or where to go; forget about finding any transit signs. Officialdom could not care in the least. The place is a shameful disgrace.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"What a horrible airport!"

Trip Verified | What a horrible airport! When we left our plane to go to immigrations on Christmas Day we stumbled and fell over people already in line for immigrations. The queue was immense! I think a couple of thousands of people waiting to get through customs. Only a few booths were opened and so many people were worried about their connecting flight. At last, after a lot of begging and stealing places we were in a line. only 2 people in front of us. Everybody tried to force their way into the country. Then the customs guy said do you have a boarding card ? Then you have to go to another line. Again in that line we lost 15 minutes, then we finally could begin to find our way in the airport. No signs, nowhere. We knew we had to go to another terminal, but where ? no one could tell us. Do you speak English? No. Nobody. At last we found the train to terminal 2. The strangest thing is that the monitors have green and blue lines. We could not discover the difference. In terminal 2 we heard the final call for our flight , so we made it. Our adventure for our return flight was even worse. In Cancun we received our boarding pass with Gate 26 on it for the KLM flight to Amsterdam. We we were taxiing , we saw the KLM airplane on Terminal 1. Again we had to find our way to the train ourselves, because there was no signing. At terminal 1 we knew we had to go to Sala M , because somebody in Terminal 2 at the connecting desk told us so. Not to be found. In the monitors we could not find the KLM flight, so we were afraid we were at a wrong terminal again. At last we began to follow signs International departures and so we found Gate 26. the sign said : Lufthansa to Frankfurt , departing 21.00 (KLM should leave 21.55) That plane had already left, because it was 21.15. A lady at the gate guarded that gate, so we asked her KLM ? She shrugged her shoulders. Do you speak English? No. I never heard so much No in answer to my question if anyone speaks English. It is an international airport , and nobody speaks English! We found other people who were waiting for the KLM flight and also had Gate 26 on their boarding pass. At last, in my KLM App I opened with borrowed WiFi from my neighbor, because the airport WiFi did not work, I saw Gate 32. So we all left for gate 32, and there we found our plane. Still no KLM flight on the monitors in this terminal. I had a great time in Cancun, but this stress to get to my plane, did me forget about the relaxation at once!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Unbelievable chaos"

Not Verified | Avoid, avoid, avoid. Unbelievable chaos for hundreds of travellers. We were in transit, which was deemed a ‘shorter’ line but only had one very slow processing agent. Workers kept allowing other longer lines through where there were two to three agents working. When I expressed my concern an agent told me to ask other pax if we could butt in. I told her it was her job to manage tight flight connectors. A woman who recently had a stroke collapsed in our line and was unresponsive. Despite our cry for medico no one showed up. Finally a stranger came and assisted. A woman and her child in front of us missed their connection because of this inefficiency. We just made our connection. Give yourself no less than three hours to connect or just avoid this disorganized airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Avoid Mexico City Airport at all costs"

Trip Verified | Avoid Mexico City Airport at all costs. I agree with the other negative reviews. I was transiting through from a very nice holiday in Puerto Vallarta. All my flights were seriously delayed so I missed all connections and had to rebook plus spend 4 hours in the aiport. The reason given was fog, but I think it was really smog that was trapped low to the ground (another reason to avoid Mexico City altogether). The signs and other sources of information are often wrong (the airport’s website said my flight from PV was on-time, when it left 2 hours late). We were given incorrect instructions on rebooking so many of the delayed travelers waited in a “connection” line unnecessarily, stressing us and the workers out. And there are so many workers doing little tasks and they are not well trained, so they lend to a very chaotic and confusing atmosphere (along with the very large numbers of people.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"should be avoided at all costs"

Not Verified | I am a travel writer. I have been to over 200 different airports around the world. The Mexico City International Airport is an embarrassment. It should be avoided at all costs. The physical environment of the airport is grim at best, it is very dark and incredibly poorly organized. There is little to no directional signage. It can be pretty overwhelming to a first time visitor. If you have limited mobility, or even difficulty going up or down stairs, this Airport will be a very challenging experience. There are no escalators and no one to guide you to the nearest elevator. We had to go up four flights of stairs, with our luggage, to reach the level of the connecting flight. Once we reached the departure gate, we had to go down two levels to get to the plane. There was no functional WIFI we could find anywhere at the airport. A special comment should be made about the signage. It is very very poor. Reading the monitors for departing flight information can be a very frustrating experience. I had a very tight connection. According to the Departure Monitor, our Flight departed from "Gate K". This is very ironic since all of the gates at this airport bear numbers and not letters. The Food and fluid offerings are very very limited and incredibly expensive.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"dirty, and falling apart"

Trip Verified | I travel all over the world for work and I go Mexico City alot for work as well. Terminal 2 is the worst in the world for a major city. The airport has one of the highest fees in the world to fly into and yet it smells, is dirty, and falling apart. I only fly here because I have to. Terminal should be destroyed.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Horrible experience"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Horrible experience and avoid at all costs. The lines were long, terminals not clearly marked. Also, horrible for elderly and infirm people. One escalator was moving at lightning speed and an elderly couple were nearly knocked down. There should have been elevator or people movers but you don’t see them. Last, they don’t post departure gates on the monitors until one hour before your flight. A total nightmare!
Date VisitNovember 2018

"it looked like a bus station"

(Mexico)

Not Verified | The airport in Mexico is too old, it looked like a bus station, the signs were very uneven and there were no people to help you. When you enter, you smell the petrol of a plane and the area of ​​documentation is full of people and there is no single restaurant. When you pass security, you feel as if you are locked in an elevator, the boarding aisle is very narrow and only has duty free shops with the smell of gasoline. The announcements at the airport do not have good sound and nothing is said. It is urgent that this airport be remodeled, it is illogical that an airport as big as Mexico City is in this situation. I recommend it only if it's the cheapest thing you can find. P.S I'm talking about terminal 1 (it's not the Aeromexico terminal).
Date VisitOctober 2018

"bus from the plane took 40 minutes"

(Mexico)

Not Verified | Terrible! When we arrived, the bus that picked us up from the plane took 40 minutes to arrive and we had a connecting flight on Terminal 2 (I arrived at Terminal 1). As it was an international flight, we went through customs, which didn't take long. The train going from T1 to T2 was not working, so we wanted to take a bus, but it didn't come, so we ended up with a taxi. In Terminal 2, lines were short.
Date VisitOctober 2018