Mexico City Airport

"I had no problem with this airport"

Not Verified | I've only been to this airport once so far, but am moving to Mexico and this will be my main flying hub for awhile starting in July, so I might update this later. I'm surprised at all the bad reviews for this airport. For me, nothing stood out to me, for good or bad at this airport. It was clean, somewhat busy, and the queues existed but nothing like LAX. I had breakfast at a coffee shop by the gate, it was delicious and less overpriced than in the US. The signs could be slightly more coherent, but overall I had no problem with this airport.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"shocked to have such a bad experience here"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | This must be one of the worst airports I’ve come across. I travel all across the world for work, often in developing countries in Africa, yet I don’t think I’ve seen as dysfunctional airport as Mexico City. It’s crazy for such a major world city. Even for experienced travelers, it’s super hard to navigate. Signs don’t make sense. Long narrow corridors filled with people and no seats. Dark. Dingy. Was actually shocked to have such a bad experience here.
Date VisitJune 2019

"airport is outdated"

Trip Verified | The airport is outdated and in need of major repairs and or replacement. I was at this airport (terminal 1) for 13 hours due to a cancelled flight. Got to see and experienced broken restrooms, no air conditioning, cracked floor tiles, uneven floors, and foul smelling areas.
Date VisitMay 2019

"not the nicest airport"

Not Verified | There are 2 different experiences here. I had been here before and it seems things have improved. Coming in on AeroMexico to T2 this time there was no baggage transfer. You go out through customs and through security the to your gate. I had a preprinted immigration card. Not much of a lineup at 7 am or so. I saw the kiosks and wondered why they were not using them. You still have to wait for your gate on the board. Coming back I was coming from Cancun so just through to connections. I had no problems with staff. I will have to go through it again November/Dec but this time immigration twice as it will be a flight to/from MGA. The seating people complain about it is in the main area not the gates. Still not the nicest airport.
Date VisitApril 2019

"staff are rude and unprofessional"

Trip Verified | We spent our holidays in Cancun but had to transit through Mexico Airport. First of all no one told us to keep the immigration card so when we went to check in for our flight back to Dubai the ground staff made us go to the immigration counter and pay a fine. They made us complete a form asking our personal details and nationality. The staff are rude and unprofessional. One lady asked me where I was from and why I wrote Spaniard as a nationality. I politely explained to her that a person from Spain can be known as a Spaniard or Spanish. The staff there started laughing and making fun of me saying Spaniard was not a nationality in a really aggressive and degrading way. No one should be treated different because of their nationality! My fiancee originally from Australia had to tell them that Spaniard has the same meaning as Spanish. Be careful and always keep the immigration card if you don't want to pay the money they want you to spend there.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"very bad first impression"

(Mexico)

Not Verified | Arriving at Mexico city terminal 1 or 2 gives the international traveller a very bad first impression. The airport, generally is dirty. The lighting and overall ambience is depressing. Like a bus station from the 1970s. After picking up my luggage I can never take my suitcase beyond the men who are arrogant and explain the rules are no luggage trolleys past them! This is obviously unions and corruption at its finest. Welcome to Mexico. So I have a choice, to get to my taxi just 50 meters away I have to let these thugs take my baggage and transfer it to their luggage carriers. It's a very stupid system or I can carry my bags myself. Seating street side is non existant! Zero seats! People sit on the floors! I'm talking about the areas outside the check-in rooms. No seats. So family has to stand or sit on the floor waiting for me to check in. Mexico is a beautiful crazy country. Mexico City Airport is something that all Mexicans should be ashamed of.
Date VisitApril 2019

"shameful disgrace"

Not Verified | Avoid an international transit through MEX. You will have to go through immigration, which could easily take an hour if there is a long line and few agents. That also means you have to have filled out an immigration card, both top and bottom - though nobody will tell you that until you hit the unhelpful agent who will send you back to do it. Then you may or may not have to collect your luggage (not if coming from the US or Europe, but yes if coming from South America or some other region). Then you have to go through security again. Then you have to find your gate, which may or may not be posted on the overhead signs (seriously; our Aeromexico flight to Vancouver was never listed there) and may say either K or M, which appears to designate different airport wings (we never really found out). There is very little signage to direct you as to what to do or where to go; forget about finding any transit signs. Officialdom could not care in the least. The place is a shameful disgrace.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"What a horrible airport!"

Trip Verified | What a horrible airport! When we left our plane to go to immigrations on Christmas Day we stumbled and fell over people already in line for immigrations. The queue was immense! I think a couple of thousands of people waiting to get through customs. Only a few booths were opened and so many people were worried about their connecting flight. At last, after a lot of begging and stealing places we were in a line. only 2 people in front of us. Everybody tried to force their way into the country. Then the customs guy said do you have a boarding card ? Then you have to go to another line. Again in that line we lost 15 minutes, then we finally could begin to find our way in the airport. No signs, nowhere. We knew we had to go to another terminal, but where ? no one could tell us. Do you speak English? No. Nobody. At last we found the train to terminal 2. The strangest thing is that the monitors have green and blue lines. We could not discover the difference. In terminal 2 we heard the final call for our flight , so we made it. Our adventure for our return flight was even worse. In Cancun we received our boarding pass with Gate 26 on it for the KLM flight to Amsterdam. We we were taxiing , we saw the KLM airplane on Terminal 1. Again we had to find our way to the train ourselves, because there was no signing. At terminal 1 we knew we had to go to Sala M , because somebody in Terminal 2 at the connecting desk told us so. Not to be found. In the monitors we could not find the KLM flight, so we were afraid we were at a wrong terminal again. At last we began to follow signs International departures and so we found Gate 26. the sign said : Lufthansa to Frankfurt , departing 21.00 (KLM should leave 21.55) That plane had already left, because it was 21.15. A lady at the gate guarded that gate, so we asked her KLM ? She shrugged her shoulders. Do you speak English? No. I never heard so much No in answer to my question if anyone speaks English. It is an international airport , and nobody speaks English! We found other people who were waiting for the KLM flight and also had Gate 26 on their boarding pass. At last, in my KLM App I opened with borrowed WiFi from my neighbor, because the airport WiFi did not work, I saw Gate 32. So we all left for gate 32, and there we found our plane. Still no KLM flight on the monitors in this terminal. I had a great time in Cancun, but this stress to get to my plane, did me forget about the relaxation at once!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Unbelievable chaos"

Not Verified | Avoid, avoid, avoid. Unbelievable chaos for hundreds of travellers. We were in transit, which was deemed a ‘shorter’ line but only had one very slow processing agent. Workers kept allowing other longer lines through where there were two to three agents working. When I expressed my concern an agent told me to ask other pax if we could butt in. I told her it was her job to manage tight flight connectors. A woman who recently had a stroke collapsed in our line and was unresponsive. Despite our cry for medico no one showed up. Finally a stranger came and assisted. A woman and her child in front of us missed their connection because of this inefficiency. We just made our connection. Give yourself no less than three hours to connect or just avoid this disorganized airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Avoid Mexico City Airport at all costs"

Trip Verified | Avoid Mexico City Airport at all costs. I agree with the other negative reviews. I was transiting through from a very nice holiday in Puerto Vallarta. All my flights were seriously delayed so I missed all connections and had to rebook plus spend 4 hours in the aiport. The reason given was fog, but I think it was really smog that was trapped low to the ground (another reason to avoid Mexico City altogether). The signs and other sources of information are often wrong (the airport’s website said my flight from PV was on-time, when it left 2 hours late). We were given incorrect instructions on rebooking so many of the delayed travelers waited in a “connection” line unnecessarily, stressing us and the workers out. And there are so many workers doing little tasks and they are not well trained, so they lend to a very chaotic and confusing atmosphere (along with the very large numbers of people.
Date VisitJanuary 2019