Mexico City Airport

"Bathrooms are disgusting"

(Mexico)

Not Verified | 2 terminals, very poorly connected (only 1 train, can take more that 30 minutes to transfer), terrible duty free (and more expensive than outside the airport), smells awful, looks like a 3rd world country airport. T2 is unleveled, signage is poor, the TV screens never have the correct information. Actually I did not know my gate number until 35 before flight. Bathrooms are disgusting.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"the rules through security are ambiguous at best"

Trip Verified | I have gone through this airport several times. I can say that their airport security is just as customer unfriendly as the one in the States on every occasion and I was in this airport over 20 times last year. My main problem is that the rules through security are ambiguous at best. I have carried tuna packets with me through security every time just in case I don't feel like going out to eat or doing room service. Today they were confiscated. When I asked why, the answer was vague at best and my Spanish is too shaky to argue effectively. Maybe have a handout in English on why you're confiscating items. The employees throughout the airport are usually abrupt and unfriendly and could someone please tell the cleaning people to not sweep your feet or luggage or look at you like you have to move everything so they can clean. I caution on saying this though as the cleaning people are so far the friendliest people at this airport, besides sweeping your feet. I gave them a 5 though as I have seen worse (FLL).
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Avoid this airport at all costs"

Not Verified | Avoid this airport at all costs. The terminal smelt awful, it was dirty, the tiles on the ground were broken, and they do a poor job in conveying information to flyers. Also had a long delay at the airport.

"they need a training"

Trip Verified | We got there from El Salvador on December 29 about 1:00 pm. A group of 8 including minors, when transported by bus due they change our seat in the airplane, minors went in the first bus and the rest in another bus - they wave at us so we can get together as a group. nThat’s when an officer started yelling saying go back to the line and try to explain that we were together and we have their passports then she said "I don’t care, go back". I told her can you give them the passport and she continue yelling. Very upset of the way the treat people very rude. I think they need a training in how to treat people instead of yelling and saying bad words. Bad experience.
Date VisitDecember 2019

2do not like connecting there"

Not Verified | My first arrival was for a 2-hour time gap between flights to Managua. It was at 7 am. Actually got a land bridge so was surprised no bus. However, the line at immigration was terrible. It did move then they moved us to other lines. Not sure why some people got to use the machines. They did not like my online FMM form. I had to complete another form. Anyway, I lost an hour of my 2 hour connection time and still made the connection. Coming back at 4 pm, it was much fast for some reason. I had a 9-hour connection. I took the elevator upstairs to a restaurant which was nice. Then I went to Salon Premier AeroMexico lounge. It was nicer than the seating in the common areas. It is a pain that your flight gate may not show for an hour before the flight. The airport is also quite cold. This was a better experience than the last time but still do not like connecting there, mostly due to the immigration experience
Date VisitDecember 2019

"immigration officer was terrible and had a poor attitude"

Not Verified | I repeat do not ever go through this airport. The staff are horrible rude and they do not care about their customers. When I arrived in the airport I lost my immigration form, the guy at the counter was like too bad your going to have go to Mexico City. Once I requested to speak to the supervisor the form magically appeared. The immigration officer was terrible and had a poor attitude. I had trouble pulling money out of my card. I have been to over six countries and have never been treated the way I have. I will not be coming back to Mexico for a long time and no one who worked at the airport knew where anything was at.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"staff did not seem to care at all about passengers"

Not Verified | Our experience in Terminal 2 at Mexico City Airport this November was truly dreadful, and almost ruined the very wonderful memories we have of our month in Mexico, where we again found people to be so warm and helpful. But sad to say, Terminal 2 gave us a very different and unfavourable impression indeed. 1) Several people were brusque and most staff did not seem to care at all about passengers. We were sent back to the check-in desks because we had a small piece of folk art, which we had been intending to take in our hand luggage (to protect it from breakage) but were told, by security, that we could not because part of it had pointed ends, although they said it was not a restricted item, and in fact it was impossible to open the package at all until they provided us with a blade to do so (ironic!). There we were made to wait in a line by a man who quite rudely directed us to stand there, but then disappeared, leaving empty desks facing us and the 5 or so Mexicans in front of us, including one man who told the brusque man tjat his flight was due to be called in 30 minutes. We all waited there for about 20 minutes, while nobody came to the desk (supposed to be for flights that were going to leave soon!) Eventually we had to give up waiting there and go to yet another place in the airport before we could even ask anyone what to do. We were sent here and there and waited each time, while the time for our plane drew nearer and nearer. We were given conflicting advice by different officials. This included a suggestion to get our cardboard box wrapped in plastic - which cost us $290 Mexican. But we eventually found out that to check in our single item, weighing less than 1.5 kg would cost us $80 US - about 5 times more than the item cost to buy! In the end we were forced to take our now thoroughly wrapped item back to security, where we were forced to leave it behind, meaning we lost not only the item, which had been intended as a birthday present, but also the cost of wrapping it at the airport (a total of about £30 UK pounds). 2) Even general check-in at Terminal 2  is really slow compared to the very many other airports we have been to around the world. The system for checking immigration / exit papers is part of the reason this is such a slow process, and then they were checked again when we were called to the gate to depart (late, but without any apology or explanation). Some people were sent back, at the last minute, to the other end of the hall, to get departure papers sorted out.  I don't know whether or not they missed the plane, 6) The whole terminal is dull it must have been a very stressful experience either way. Obviously the airport should make a proper, efficient immigration desk, staffed by people who know what they are doing, which everyone passes through before they reach departure gates, rather than leaving this to check-in and departure staff. 3) There are not enough toilets. I had to go a long way to the nearest one, only to find that it was closed.And those that there are, are not of airport standard at all. 4) The signage in the airport is really inadequate. It's hard to spot signs directing you to each area / toilets / etc. 5) There are not enough seats at the departure gates for everyone to sit down. Airport authorities must know how many people a plane can hold, and there is certainly room for more seats, so why not provide them? 6) The whole terminal is dull, unwelcoming, and a bit depressing,
Date VisitNovember 2019

"confusing, poorly managed airport"

Not Verified | Absolute Chaos. We had a round trip flight on both legs that went through Mexico City. Let me say this is the most confusing, poorly managed airport I have ever had the displeasure to go through. On both legs of our trip the terminals were too busy so we had to depart the plane down a portable stair in the rain onto a bus that took us to some terminal. once there, it was absolute confusion as to where to go next. We followed the group and ended up in immigration where they wanted immigration paperwork. all the slots that had the papers were empty. right at the last minute a security officer handed out the forms as everyone was waiting for them. scramble to get filled out with no pens. Once through immigration the signage was either very poor on nonexistent. Somehow thanks to our Spanish speaking daughter in law we managed to find our terminal through the multiple levels and depart. The return trip was almost as bad. Flight departure gate not posted until the last minute. we almost missed the flight because of it. My wife was (unknown at the time) to be selected for random search. When we reached the gate is was standing room only with a lot of ambient noise. We occasionally heard our garbled last name over the lousy intercom system. I asked my Daughter in law what they were saying and she said she couldn't understand because of the strong accent. when boarding the aircraft my wife was pulled out of line and patted down, purse searched, two Iphone cases had to be removed for inspection. She was the last to board our return flight. Luckily we had one person in our group that spoke fluent Spanish which help out some. I cant imagine navigating this airport without knowing Spanish.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"an unforgettably horrible experience"

Not Verified | I am not a person who usually takes the time to write a negative review, but after taking a connecting flight in Mexico City 2 weeks ago, I'm still puzzled as to what took place in the airport. I am a frequent international traveler and have experienced many airports and this was by far, the worst airport experience ever. I had flown from Lima, Peru and was connecting in MXC to continue on to the US. When getting off the plane, my friend and I noticed that a few people had immigration forms in their hand and that there were signs hanging saying that the forms needed to be filled out. Where were the forms? No one around us knew until we got to the very front of the line and noticed the forms placed inside very deep indents that were in a table at the front of the line. Would it be so hard to have a sign pointing to the table telling you the forms were there? This way you could calmly fill it out instead of rushing like a madwoman to complete it before being called to the counter. Then came the luggage scan. Okay, not bad. Ummm where do we go now? Why isn't there a sign for connecting flights? Well there are 2 signs, national and international departures. Well, since we're going to the US we must be international, but let's ask the official-looking woman who works here. Go up and make a right at "F". Okay! Great! Wait a minute, if we go right, then that's national. That doesn't make sense. Let's go international. Okay, we're in the international hall. Scan screens hmmm, our flight that should be leaving in about an hour isn't on screen so how do we know the gate? Let's try to find the airline counter. Magic, we somehow find the counter. While in line to get a boarding pass printed (because kiosk wasn't working), an announcement comes on that our flight is closed and no one can be checked in! Wait we just got here, how could that be? Decide, let's run to next check in point, nope you need a boarding pass to get through this security. Back to the line. Ask a young woman to help us and she looks at us blankly and just shows us card that states she's "just security". Alrighty then finally get a boarding pass from a woman at the counter. Sprinting back to go through security (again) and get bags checked (again). Don't see flight on screen, but it's on our boarding pass and it's at a far gate, run run run through terminal until we finally reach the assigned gate. Oh no they're boarding except that doesn't say New York, that's a different city. Let's check the screen, are we at the wrong gate. Stare intently at screen and discuss how confused we are. Finally, a woman asks if we are on NY flight. Yes we are. Oh, it's delayed! What? The screen says it's on time! Oh no they announced it's delayed. Do you know for how long? About 1.5 hours. Okay go grab a bite to eat. At least 30 minutes later, the flight is still "on time" on the screen, finally stated delayed almost 2 hours later. No announcement made to board flight, luckily saw other people starting to line up. I'm exhausted just writing this review, it truly was an unforgettably horrible experience. Avoid at alllll costs!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"smell in the airport was awful"

Not Verified | The transiting experience was quick and painless. Our bags were checked through to South America and there was no need to pickup/recheck. The smell in the airport was awful - triggering allergies. It seems that the airport pumps some sort of chemical scent which is super strong - for a person who is super sensitive to smells my head started pounding within about 15 minutes.