Mexico City Airport

"it was a really awful experience"

Trip Verified | As a frequent traveler I have seen lots of airports all over the world but at Mexico City airport the handling is one of the worst I have ever got to know in 25 years of plenty of airports. If you can avoid this airport do that! Rows of people in baggage drop-off that are handled very chaotically. You have to wait meanwhile behind you they open ad-hoc another row so people that are waiting for much longer are left empty-handed. Very confusing are the plenty of various signs that are even contradictious between themselves sometimes (I noticed concerning domestic/intl. distinguish and at the way to arrive at security check). I mean on the too small screens it even wasn't always clear which planes are starting from which terminal (1 or 2). Low-cost aviation companies are doing their check-in on terminal 1 even if the (in my case domestic) departure is from terminal 2 then. This means long walking distance without any helping facilities (for example missing or not working escalators, imagine what a nightmare for a disabled or elder person). But the worst in my case came with the security check. The company that is engaged at the domestic departures section should be brought for a trial to court for their rude behavior towards passengers. The officers on duty this day didn't react to my continuous asking why they were rummaging through my complete hand luggage. At the beginning I really tried to be polite and helpful in what they are searching for. But no reaction at all, so continue making a big mess without finding anything prohibited. At the end they almost made me miss my flight. All in all for an international traveler coming to Mexico City airport for the first time it was a really awful experience.
Date VisitApril 2021

"The airport is OK"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | The airport is OK except for the fact that if you are in transit and once you go through security, although there are signs for the gates numbers there are none in which direction to go for the main part of the airport, the restaurant or lounges.
Date VisitMarch 2021

"Too many upcharges"

Trip Verified | Even during the coronavirus pandemic the line to get a bathroom stall is about 20 minutes. Too many upcharges at this airport. They will make you check your bag for almost any absurd reason. Apparently this is an ongoing scandal because the airport works with Aeromexico to raise money (at $30/bag) it’s a decent additional source of revenue. You also have to pass through 5 different people at the gate itself! They will ask you the same questions repeatedly.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"crowded, dirty, confusing"

(Mexico)

Not Verified | Avoid at all costs. Mexico City Airport is crowded, dirty, confusing, and has horrible customer service. One of the things that really baffled me for this airport being the main airport in Mexico was the lack of signage, cleanliness, and direction. First of all, our gate changed 4 times within the span of 20 minutes. For some reason, one display screen would show one thing and another would show something else. Second of all, cleanliness. The whole airport smelled like feet. The airport was hot and sweaty as well. Customer service was horrible but it wasn't the staff's fault, the customer service said no one was telling them anything either. If possible, avoid Mexico City at ALL costs.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"customer service is non-existent here"

Not Verified | I speak Spanish and English, the airport staff (immigration, security, airlines) don't care about the travelers at all, customer service is non-existent here and when I arrived from California the information desk was closed. I struggled to find any wifi at all in the airport, hotel transportation in the airport, and even to identify my location at the airport. I asked for directions continuously (in Spanish) to any airport staff and got simple answers that did not address my request for directions, or they ignored me. At the time of departure, I experienced hell with Volaris, airport security, and immigration to the point that their incompetence and lack of direction caused my family and I to miss our flight. I will be suing Volaris in the USA for all the damages created by their incompetence. Do not travel to Mexico City Airport, especially if you do not speak Spanish. Airport security screamed at my wife in Spanish for walking through the wrong door, they speak little or no English. TSA also does not speak English and provides unclear directions to English speakers.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"Recommend avoiding if possible"

Not Verified | For domestic travel we used an airline which uses this airport as a hub and most of its domestic routes connect through here using Terminal B. It’s crowded, congested and appears to be overcapacity, so this seems to contribute to flight delays and confusion (for example, last minute gates assignments). Recommend avoiding if possible. Consider Guadalajara as an alternative if your situation allows—less busy and much more pleasant, newer and clean facility.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"The worst airport I've ever experienced"

Not Verified | The worst airport I've ever experienced. Absolutely no indications whatsoever for transport from one terminal to the other, and you get various answers depending on which person you ask to (there were only a few information counter). We finally boarded onto a not so cheap bus just to go to the other terminal, and while on it saw there was a skytrain in operation between the two terminals. I asked a clerk and her answer as how to get in it were as nebulous as the lack of indications in the airport). No drinkable water anywhere. Had to buy an overpriced bottle of water. Chaotic check in process (gave my passport, received a ticket, couldn't receive a seat assignation yet but my uncle two counters away could, the clerks don't seem to have received the same informations nor training, and other things - I leave you some surprises). Really expensive restaurants, not a lot of choice, no good and simple Mexican options. Most workers speak only Spanish except for the check in clerks. (I did the effort of learning a bit of Spanish, but you would expect from a intl airport to have people that can speak a little English at least). Don't wait there to buy your souvenirs, everything is overpriced. No wifi zones except if you eat at a restaurant. Chaotic and puzzling process at the registration up to our plane gate. I really loved my stay in Mexico and didn't want it to end, the airport at least made me want to go home faster.

"Horrible, horrible airport"

Trip Verified | Horrible, horrible airport for the capital city of a great country. The new Terminal 2, built only in 2007, is falling apart and was built with some of the worst materials I have ever seen. There's no windows from seating areas only small portholes. Also the arrival area smelt like a sewage treatment plant from an unclean bathroom. The ceiling was falling apart and electronics were loose. Floor pealing off. Cramped boarding areas. No pride in this.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"Chaotic, bad indications, long walks"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | In my view MEX is one of the worst airports in the world. Chaotic, bad indications, long walks. Inefficiency reigns. Aeromexico ticket office was closed at 4 pm on a Tuesday and I was sent here and there without anyone knowing what they were talking about.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Bathrooms are disgusting"

(Mexico)

Not Verified | 2 terminals, very poorly connected (only 1 train, can take more that 30 minutes to transfer), terrible duty free (and more expensive than outside the airport), smells awful, looks like a 3rd world country airport. T2 is unleveled, signage is poor, the TV screens never have the correct information. Actually I did not know my gate number until 35 before flight. Bathrooms are disgusting.
Date VisitJanuary 2020