Manila Airport

"Very bad transit experience"

Trip Verified | Airport shuttle services is a joke! When I transit through this airport, I always have a very bad experience with how the process goes every time. All the confusion and miscommunication causes people to miss their flights. Airport shuttle services between Terminal 1, 2, 3 & 4 will take almost 1 hour via poor management and heavy traffic due to bad civil design and road conditions. This is by far one of the worst international airport I’ve traveled through. I would strongly recommend if anyone can avoid coming through Manila International Airport. And the WIFI is not good for domestic phones only.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"There are announcements every minute"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Terminal 2 is the hub of Philippine Airlines in Manila. This airport is the noisiest airport terminal one can imagine. There is very bad noise management and acoustic planning so all announcements whether for departures or arrivals are heard. There are announcements every minute and they are very long and annoying. The way they make the announcements seem like there is urgency so you cannot relax while waiting for the flight. The terminal is small so I do not know why they have to make announcements heard in the entire terminal. When you have no choice but to use Terminal 2, bring earplugs. Many busy airports have already adopted a silent airport model but it seems Manila loves the noise.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"transit a bad experience"

Not Verified | Every time I transit through this airport I have a bad experience with how the process goes. One time you go through immigration and another time you don’t. And when you go through immigration. One person will tell you to one thing, you go do that to have another person say go back, to have another person at the same counter tell you something different again. All the confusion and miscommunication causes people to miss their flights. This is by far the worst international airport I’ve traveled through. I would advise if anyone can avoid coming through Manila International Airport. And the WiFi is not good. If you want a little bit of WiFi you have to pay for it to get on another server through a pocket WiFi that’s at a small desk. You don’t get a pocket WiFi, they just put in the password.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"service is so poor"

Trip Verified | I arrived at the Domestic Terminal and I need to get to the International Terminal for my next flight via Scoot. It is my first time at Manila airport so I asked the information counter how do I get to Terminal 1 (there are 3 international terminals in Manila). The guy checked my boarding pass and told me Scoot has been redirected to Terminal 3, and he insisted that this information is correct based on his logbook. Yes, he is using a written logbook. Obviously, I believed him and took a taxi to Terminal 3. Reached there and I could not find Scoot! Asked the information counter again and the person said Scoot is at Terminal 1. Wasted my time and my money being directed to the wrong terminal and being told the wrong information. Customer service is unbelievably bad. How can the information counter tell passengers the wrong information?! Manila is the capital of Philippines yet service is so poor. This level of basic miscommunication is impossible to believe!
Date VisitOctober 2019

"will never ever come back"

(Guam)

Trip Verified | This is literally the worst airport I have ever been in. After already 24 hours of travel, I arrived in the Philippines to transfer to the next leg of my journey. Rather than allowing me to go check-in for my next flight I was made to sit by the Transfers Desk for 4 hours. In this part of the airport, there is no food, no water, and only a few metal chairs to sit on. I kept trying to figure out what was going on, but all six of the transfer desk employees were too busy looking at their phones to show any concern for the passengers who needed them. At one point I asked an employee to borrow a pen really quickly. She looked at me with such contempt and begrudgingly handed me a pen. She then said, "next time bring your own." My husband and I live in Guam, which is a short flight to the Philippines. We were planning a trip to actually visit the country, but after this experience, I will never ever come back. I know traveling can be frustrating, but passengers should not be made to feel like they are imprisoned.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"very disappointed"

Trip Verified | This airport cannot get any worse as they literally don't do their jobs correctly. No smoking areas at all. Like you sell cigarettes but there is no smoking. They threw my Dupont lighters away which have been approved by themselves when I transferred 2 weeks ago, Australian and Thai airport authorities. The place is full of security staff that need to humble themselves as being useless as they are I'm surprised anybody would go through the experience again. I'm never travelling remotely near the Philippines again. Still no justifiable reason for such atrocious service. One thing I find amazing is that the staff that are responsible for the toilets are very resilient standing there all day and the toilet is still dirty. I'm very disappointed.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"immigration took a while"

(Philippines)

Not Verified | Terminal 2 flight arrived on time even though we were delayed on departure. We disembarked on a parking concourse and was transferred via bus to the arrival immigration counters which is very small and crowded. The immigration clearance took a while with lines for OFW, Foreign Passports holders and Philippine passports holders not being followed. The baggage claim area is just a few steps away and claiming your baggage is fast considering other passengers have already taken their baggage after clearance. The bathroom is available and is well maintained. I tried to check the hotel booking counters and I was offered low key hotels with expensive rates. Foreign exchange counters are available at lower rates. Duty-free is limited only to chocolates and liquors. My booked a grab car was fast to arrive as there is not much traffic on his way in.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"airport is all non smoking"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | NAIA Terminal 1 has been refurbished last year. Although very very few seats at the waiting area before check-in. If there were seats only a few can be accommodated since some passengers are already seating there. next was in the first baggage screening area my cigarette lighter was confiscated because it was forbidden to bring it inside the airport. Check-in was ok, immigrations & customs was a breeze except that some open counters only accommodate Foreign Passport holders ONLY even if there is no queue. On the airside, there are more passengers seated while waiting for their flights - only 2 screens were available to show which gate is assigned to which destination - and I have to look for it. Since I have a lounge access for PAL, luckily only few passengers were at the lounge, and got food and drinks. only downside is, the airport is all non smoking. I have to sit for 9 hours and a half on a plane and I need to smoke at least before that. Some foreign passengers were complaining. 2 years a go, there is lounge with smoking area. Now (2019) it was already gone. That will cost two stars from me.

"most insane melee"

Trip Verified | Our flights SFO/SGN/SFO were routed through Manila, and the inbound experience in May was fine. On the return flight in August, everyone with a connecting flight was instructed to collect their checked baggage for additional screening. What followed was the most insane melee I've ever seen. Endless snaking lines of passengers curled around a small waiting room, and, after verification by an agent, were permitted into a baggage area about the size of a walk-in freezer. There must have been 60 or 70 of us - families with children, solo backpackers, people who check large appliances as baggage - pushing toward the only exit door trying to grab our own luggage. Pushing back were a fleet of baggage agents trying to maintain some kind of security. Order was out of the question, though there were occasional futile interruptions by airline personnel. We got one of our 2 checked bags- the airline dusted it with an unknown substance and handed it back to us; the second bag never emerged. After an hour or so (consuming the entire layover), a PAL agent shouted 'is anyone here on Flight 114?' - our connecting flight to San Francisco. Those who recognized the flight number raced through the airport to the gate, which had been changed to an adjacent gate, through another security checkpoint, down the jetway - the last ones onto the plane. Points awarded for holding the flight, additional credit for getting both our bags to SFO.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"outdated and inadequate for the number of passengers"

Not Verified | Terminal 2 international for Philippine Airlines is an absolute dump. Arrival and departure at Terminal 2 leaves you with he feeling of 'I just want to escape!'. Philippine Airlines is one of the most improved airlines apparently, however their terminal had a lot to be desired. Facilities are totally outdated and inadequate for the number of passengers. There are not enough food outlets or toilets and it just saps the energy out of you trying to negotiate the place. It's a very small zoo to be honest! The saving grace is the terminal transfer bus and the free wifi. Prices are quadruple what you'd pay outside. Horrible and avoid if you can.