Malaga Airport

"left feeling very stressed"

Trip Verified | Never known so much chaos and disorganisation at an airport as at Malaga Airport, and our 1st experience of this airport (departure). 1st at check in desks on arrival although 6 desks should have been open, on joining 1 queue, queue stood still for ages or moved very slowly. After a while 3 of the desks suddenly closed although there were still long queues including ours! Eventually after proceeding through check in went towards security control – more chaos and disorganisation, never known so many people crowded into a small space all trying to get to security control. A member of staff came and started gesturing to the crowd to follow him. During this confusion my husband and I became separated. We felt we were being herded like cattle. Eventually to a small entrance where our boarding passes were swiped. Then more confusion so no staff to assist or advise what to put in the trays for the x ray machine, and no signage. Eventually getting through security we raced through the Duty Free Shop to find a screen to find which gate our flight was departing from. Eventually saw a screen saying “East Midlands Last call C30 – 10.50 am” we had to ask a lady at a sales kiosk if she could help us as couldn’t see any signs for C30. She pointed which way and we ran towards C, then we had to join another long queue for the passport machines, only about 6 were working out of 20 and of these 2 people at the front of the queues were stuck at the machine until eventually a member of staff came and helped them through. Rushed through to see a waiting area with a screen at the front by the door “East Midlands Last Call”. We relaxed assuming there had been a delay due to all this chaos and hold ups so got in the queue. We both took it in turns to go to the toilet keeping an eye on the queue in case we needed to rush. I asked the woman in front of me if she was catching the same plane as me as there hadn’t been any sign informing us of a delay. She told me she was waiting for the 12.50 to Newcastle! I rushed to the desk by the door and asked the man and woman there if this was the queue for the East Midlands 10.50 am flight, to which they replied I was very late and said to me that I knew what time the flight was as if all this was my fault! I explained about the hold ups and chaos and the man nodded and said I might just make the flight if I hurried; the woman told me I would probably miss it now! We rushed along without being advised exactly which way to the plane and had to return as the door was locked, to which the man at the desk then pointed “down there” to which we followed and boarding the plane and fortunately the plane waited for us. It was 11.20 am by now, our plane left at 11.50 am. We were left feeling very stressed after a lovely holiday and it has put us off returning because of our treatment at Malaga Airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"security line is chaotic"

Not Verified | The worst airport ever. Total chaos. I would expect a very busy airport should be much more organized, queues massive to check-in even though was done the night before. The security line is chaotic and dangerous for old and v young travelers. There should be much more staff on security. Another queue at passport control and another queue to get on the airplane. You need 3 hrs for this whole process
Date VisitOctober 2019

"this airport is slipping"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Once again, this airport is slipping. Queues for security and passport control were unacceptably long and chaotic. If Sr de la Torre wants to keep Málaga in front, he needs to give some thought how to handle its gateway. Today’s experience was a complete turn-off.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"excellent customer service"

Not Verified | I used this airport last year (2018 )and required special assistance due to a broken foot. The service was fantastic both on arrival and departure. Far superior to that in my home country. The staff were kind and considerate and I had a feeling that they genuinely cared about my comfort. I was dropped of at my taxi. I flew home from Malaga airport on 14 July 2019 following a holiday. I did not request special assistance however I found it tough going as I am waiting on a hip replacement and use a walking stick. When I arrived at the check in area a member of staff took me and my family to the front of the queue to save me having to stand. When I arrived at security staff took us to shorter queue where I was asked if I needed assistance to go through the process. I cannot praise the staff at the airport enough. I didn't ask for help but they did everything possible to make sure the experience was made as easy as possible for me. The airport was clean and everyone we came into contact with displayed excellent customer service skills. I would recommend this airport to anyone requiring special assistance
Date VisitJuly 2019

"showed absolutely no understanding"

Not Verified | The security in this airport is an absolute disgrace. My 3year old was hysterical after removing him from his pushchair and then trying to make him go through the security gate alone. The lady security officer on duty was rude, aggressive and showed absolutely no understanding that this was a 3 year old child who did not understand what was happening and refused to allow him to return to me for comfort. The same lady then told one of her colleagues to “body search” me, this after saying that my leather trainers were “too soft” and remove them to be put through the scanner. We flew from Birmingham Airport and had none of these issues. I dread to think what will happen if we ever have to go through airport security again, my grandson has been traumatised by the whole episode.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Gates not displayed"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Water bottle still not 1€ for 0,5 liter. Water fountains has the same water as tap water in restrooms. Gates not displayed on information screen even though it's known, and displayed at the gate.
Date VisitMay 2019

"falsifying their records"

Trip Verified | Cleanish airport and staff are generally pleasant. Baggage handling is a joke. Using the airport every few weeks with checked bags, the baggage handlers make sure to deliver 10-12 bags to the arrival belt in about 10 minutes, and then take a 15mins break before the rest arrive. Every single time this happens, I guess they are falsifying their records on bag delivery times by getting just a few out quickly.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Very bad customer service"

Not Verified | At the check-in desk I specifically asked where do I get my custom stamp for the tax free refund knowing they need to see my luggage for that. The lady misinformed me and checked in my luggage which caused me to loose all my tax refund! There was no time to get my luggage back before my departure time. So, who should I ask for my money back now? Very bad customer service!
Date VisitNovember 2018

"No signage or staff"

Not Verified | Security check is crazy. No signage or staff to explain what to do. I, and many others in my queue, did the queue process incorrectly and had to rely on aggressive, patronising others in the queue to loudly tell me so. It was embarrassing and unnecessary. It's a very unusual security queue system so there needs to be signage at the very least. The whole airport and experience was chaotic.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Lack of organization"

(Spain)

Not Verified | Caos total. Falta de organización en los controles, falta de restaurantes y muchas colas para todo. Hacen falta más pantallas con info de los vuelos! - Total chaos. Lack of organization in the controls, lack of restaurants and many queues for everything. More screens are needed with flight info!
Date VisitOctober 2018