Geneva Airport

"massive queue for security"

Trip Verified | I find it hard to believe that such inefficiency can exist in this day and age. Massive queue for bag drop, then another massive queue for security, and a third massive queue for passport control. If you're lucky this will take 90 mins. The same process takes 15 mins in Dublin or even Zurich. If it wasn't for Geneva airport's proximity to the French alps I would never fly here. The sooner the airlines put more flights on into Grenoble, the better.

"Shame on the airport"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | The Swiss must be embarrassed about this airport. Waiting time for arriving luggage over two hours. Worse than third world countries. Shame on the airport management

"Total chaos"

Not Verified | Total chaos and don't ever want to go back there. Hundreds of people herded into endless queues and then the panic of having your destination called out by airport staff desperately trying to organise the chaos.

"a recipe for disaster"

Trip Verified | Speedy boarding that’s a laugh, it took 3 hours of queuing 2 to get thru baggage and one in security. Including a six minute wait at the desk because we were 6 minutes early for baggage check in. I looked at the hordes of people pushing and shoving each other with kids and no Covid precautions at all and thought what a disaster. It was compounded by peoples inability to fill in and verify their passenger locator forms. Too much data and needlessly complex and the same info stored by the airlines anyway. Mental and a massive super-spreader event. Lots of stressed hot sticky people queuing for hours, a recipe for disaster. I think next time I will drive. My last Drive to Val D Isère was 12 hours. Airport transfers door to door flying is 15 and it’s not that cheap anymore.
Date VisitFebruary 2022

"from start to finish you will be queueing"

Not Verified | Where to start? The queues. My goodness the queues, from start to finish you will be queueing. Whilst queueing, they will have someone to come and check your passport, possibly to streamline the process so the person at the desk won’t need to check it? Wrong, they will check it there too, even if you’ve been through customs, keep your passport and boarding passes handy for the other 8 times it will be checked. Once we got onto the plane we thought our worries were over, however even our plane had to queue to leave the airport, and we were almost an hour late on take off. If you are travelling with children, may god have mercy on your soul. The facilities: if you have come to the airport to purchase designer clothing, or Rolex watches and expensive jewellery, then you will have a fantastic time in Geneva airport. If you wanted perhaps some decent food, then I’m afraid you’re in for a shocker. A choice between sandwiches and pastry is pretty much it, or the most sorry looking pizza you’ve ever laid eyes on. To feed me, my wife and daughter some sandwiches, a salad a cookie and some lukewarm soft drinks, the bill came in at the very unreasonable price of 60 euros. The other choice of course is hunger. The airport is enormous, yet none of the vast spaces have been occupied with anything useful. There are airports in Guatemala used by drug cartel that have better facilities than this. I would rather walk to my next skiing destination carrying my luggage in paper bags than go anywhere near this airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2022

"don't care about the customer experience"

Trip Verified | The airline I was flying with said the pushchair I left at the gate, just before boarding the plane would be available when I arrived. The pushchair wasn't anywhere to be seen and an unfriendly member of ground staff just told me and another woman travelling with young 3 kids that all pushchairs would be at baggage reclaim. I had to carry a sleeping 12kg baby for 10 minutes down long corridors, then queue for 15-20 minutes through passport control (and hand over papers etc while balancing baby), then walk the 5 minutes through to baggage reclaim to discover no sign of the pushchair. It was about 8pm so there were no staff around to ask and in any case I couldn't hold my baby for much longer so managed to pull my suitcase off the belt and exit through to a waiting partner. The airport emailed me a day later to tell me I had 'forgotten' to collect the pushchair. When my partner went to the airport a few days later to locate the pushchair he said the mountain of 'lost' strollers was impressive. I don't need to wonder why, since clearly the airport system is designed to make it impossible for parents to retrieve the pushchairs they reasonably expect to be where the airline has told them they will be. This is a good example of a broken system and employees who don't care about the customer experience. I've since heard from several other people who have had the same experience.
Date VisitDecember 2021

"we missed our flight"

Not Verified | We were travelling for business already checked-in online to save time (on a changed flight by Swiss air just three hours before our original departure!) and trying to drop our luggage, it's not automatic as at CDG then we encountered this female staff which seemed not at all familiar with the whole procedure and relevant regulations and wasted us at least 30mins, during which she "shut" us up twice without any politesse while we were politely asking her to speed up and she actually ended up swearing in front of us .. we missed our flight, we asked to complain to her manager, was not at all helpful and denied all the responsibilities, they even asked us to go downstairs to fetch the luggage back (which were checked-in but made us miss our flight) while there was nobody working at the entrance and nobody answered the phone and no staff accompanied us during this process. Not to mention the poor structure and signage of the Geneva airport but the staff is the poorest, they should be replaced by smiling robots.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"an absolute shocking experience"

Trip Verified | We had an absolute shocking experience travelling through Geneva airport today. We queued for 110 minutes for our flight to Dublin. There were three check in desks for economy and two for business for nine airlines, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, Finnair, Luxair, Tunisair, Belavia, Pegasus Airlines, SAS and Frerbird all in one queue. We nearly missed our flight, as did other travellers. Avoid travelling from this airport at all costs! There were no self service check in desks. Aer Lingus should not be outsourcing check-in to companies who do not have enough resources to do it efficiently or effectively.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"kind and helpful - no complaints at all"

Not Verified | Went to collect my daughter who had broken her leg skiing. The taxi driver took us straight to the GVA Assistance for a wheelchair and after checking in with easyJet we were allocated a helper who took us thru to a dedicated waiting room in departures. We were later collected and taken in a dedicated wagon with a lift and then onto the plane so stairs were involved. Plenty of room in the departures, food expensive. The GVA Assistance staff from those on the desk to the helpers were kind kind and helpful - no complaints at all.

"beyond embarrassing"

Trip Verified | Honestly it’s astonishing how Geneva International can even be as bad as it is. For a leading national hub, it’s beyond embarrassing. Outrageous queues - endless - with clueless staff and a baggage system which on arrival a week earlier caused 90 minutes wait for a bag on a short haul flight (and we got ours ahead of most on our flight). Chaotic, shabby and grubby. A disgraceful airport which having been to many around the world, including third world nations, ranks amongst the worst 5%. Switzerland needs to sort it out.