Geneva Airport

"There was no clear signs"

Trip Verified | We traveled as a family of 3 in June, 2019. It was fine when we arrived at the airport except when we tried to pick up our rental car and we found out that our car was at French side. Just like one of other reviewers mentioned here, we had to pull our big luggage to come out of the airport and re-enter into the French side. There was no clear signs to guide you to the French side and the ways to the French side were narrow. The escalator was not working as I saw the dad of a family of 4 with young children have to carry their big pieces of luggage up the stairs. This was not the worst part of our experience in this airport. When we flew out on June, 29 we wanted to check in our luggage. There were about 30 windows at the airport, but they only opened 6 windows to serve 12 airlines passengers to check in the luggage. Among the 6 windows, 3 of them were used to serve those first class and business class passengers. You can see that the line for economy cabin passengers were miles long and moved very slowly while the 3 windows that served first class and business class most of time did not have any passengers. Worried that we may miss our flight (although we thought we arrived at the airport with plenty of time), we tried to reach the staff 3 times and asked them whether we could check in our luggage by using those first class/business windows. (Of course they should always put their first/business class clients first, all we asked was to check our luggage when there were no first/business class clients). They refused us three times (one lady who looked like a manager even did not look at me when she said 'no' to her staff who consulted her whether she could help us. Her attitude and body language gave me the impression that we as the low class people only deserve poor service). We have traveled to about 20 airports in the world, so far I would say Geneva airport is the worst that I have ever experienced, several times, we got help from first/business class windows in other airports to check in our luggage and staff were always very nice. Finally, after waiting in the line for about 1 hour and 10 minutes (about 40 minutes before the flight departure time), they opened the first/business class windows to us. Luckily, the security line was surprisingly short and quick. We got on the flight on time. Had the security line been long and slow that day, we would definitely have missed our flight. I just don't understand why couldn't they open more windows for economy cabin passengers? There should have more windows to serve economy cabin passengers proportionally. (not half numbers of the windows to serve 20% clients) I would say, if you have other choices and money is not your first priority, try to avoid this airport. Actually, it is a risk to save some money and lose more money if you miss your flight.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Staff just shrug their shoulders"

Trip Verified | We dropped off the car on the French side which was firstly extremely difficult to find and very badly signposted on the local roads. Then when in the airport we found out that this side only does French domestic, but there's no signs telling you this. So we had had to take heavy luggage through small openings, down escalators, through a shop and up another escalator without using a luggage trolley as you cannot fit a luggage trolley through the small openings. There are no signs telling you how to get from the French side to international check-in and it is not obvious (see above description). Staff just shrug their shoulders and tell you it's not their fault, which to some degree it isn't, but perhaps they could make suggestions to airport management or their employers as they must see people struggling with this every day. Are a few signs too much to ask for. They say that there's free Wi fi, but it needs some sort of code from your ticket, but not the one written on my boarding pass, so it couldn't be used. The worst airport I have ever flown from, and will never choose to fly from there again.
Date VisitJune 2019

"I would avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | Without a doubt the worst airport in the developed world. And this the hub of business and international organizations, it’s an abomination. I waited just under 2 hours in the check-in line with only two economy class lines available. This was an Egyptair flight, everyone knows the bags will be overweight, documents not in order, etc. so this should be planned for. Thereafter hastened into a separate security line which was surprisingly fast. Thank heaven for small mercies! I might have shopped and contributed to the Swiss economy but no time. Thereafter I had another wait at passport control, again thankfully short. If not, I would have missed my flight. If I didn’t have to visit this airport on business I would avoid at all costs! Suggest you do too. Now where are those customer service surveys when you need them?!
Date VisitMay 2019

"Yet again chaos at Geneva"

Trip Verified | Yet again chaos at Geneva. I travel once a month through Geneva. Excessively long security queues are a regular occurrence. Today’s issue is no one is able to check in due to “technical issues” nothing on the website to warn you or any indication of when it might be resolved.
Date VisitMay 2019

"airport really is the worst"

Not Verified | This airport really is the worst. The queues for security were over an hour long and resulted in my family and I missing my flight. I asked numerous people to help while we queued and watched our flight leave but everyone refused. I was then told when I tried to rebook that it was my fault for booking a flight on a busy weekend.
Date VisitApril 2019

"worst experience ever"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | This was my worst experience ever. How can the airport let the passengers walk for almost one hour back and forth with bags and children to reach the luggage scan. The Airport is to small and wrongly built for this amount of passengers.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Horrendous experience"

Not Verified | Horrendous experience at Geneva T2, 1 hour queues for scanning bags. Geneva is a hopeless, unprofessional, plodding organisation. Also problems a gates for departures. Don’t use Geneva, drive to the Alps.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"personnel were incompetent and careless"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | The security queu was the longest ever experienced - anywhere. It was organized as tracery in two floors. Probably the line was over 500 meter long or even more. It took about e 40 minutes to get through it. Obviously the airport has allowed much more ski charter airplanes to land than it has capacity to handle. The personnel were incompetent and careless to the passengers. They directed us to the wrong queues, did not answer quastions or gave wrong answers. Asking about where to deliver an already checked-in ski-bag they put us into a check-in queue to British Airways. The queue was so long and traced that we could not see what was at the other end of it. I can only confirm the very negative opinions in the other reviews of Geneva Airport. The only advice I can give to other travellers is: Avoid this airport, particularly on Saturdays in winter time when ski charter tourists depart.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"rude and unhelpful staff"

Trip Verified | Appalling. I agree entirely with all the other negative reviews of Geneva airport. Horrendous queues, rude and unhelpful staff (when you could find a member of staff at all - they were very thin on the ground). I arrived two hours before my flight and only just caught the plane - and only then because it was delayed. Thank you if you read this to the decent, kind and rather wonderful four or five fellow passengers who let me go ahead of them in the security queue, despite being told not to by a member of staff. His comment- ‘get back in line. I don’t care if you miss your flight ‘. My strong recommendation is to avoid flying via Geneva airport at all costs.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"staff are rude and unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Geneva airport is a national embarrassment, I am a regular flyer and have never encountered such total disorganisation. I echo the comments from other reviewers, the staff are rude and unhelpful and the airport is in chaos. This has been the third time I have visited the airport and the experience has been the same each time. 1) 1.5 hr queue for EasyJet bag drop 2) 1.5hr queue for security 3) 30 min queue for passport control We arrived over 3hrs early as we were travelling with a 2yr old and a 6 month old baby but only just made it to the plane on time. There is zero assistance available for families which is difficult when you are forced to stand in numerous queues for over 3hrs. There is also no assistance for the elderly or disabled, we let an elderly woman walking with a stick into the queue in front of us as she was about to collapse.