Frankfurt Main Airport

"Lines long and slow"

Trip Verified | Had in 2 months 3 times the same transfer flights. First time missed it because we needed to go through the security checks again. We arrived 30 minutes late at the gate. We needed to stay one night in Frankfurt. Second time no problems no lines. Third time almost missed it with 5 min. Needed to run across half of the airport. Because the checks took forever. (The airport app did say max 10 min waiting but actually 50 min). Would again not recommend this airport. Lines are too long and slow. They even close one counter of the security checks when lines are long.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"very slow and very inefficient"

Not Verified | Baggage claim is very slow. Unless you are one of the lucky 5 or 6 whose luggage comes out first so they can claim to meet their targets, then allow 30-45 mins average. On the way out again, security is very slow and very inefficient. Also unfriendly.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Passing security is slow"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airport I travel through in Europe. Passing security is slow and the people working seem to be on slow strike. Not an ideal airport to use for any flight connections.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"5 hrs more at the airport"

Trip Verified | Avoid accepting from Lufthansa any transfer between two flights of less than 2 hours. Between doors A to Z and doors C there is a passport control and after a hand baggage control in the middle of the transit area. Lufthansa does nothing to take care of its passengers with short connections when leaving the plane! Suddenly, missed connection and 5 hrs more at the airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"This airport needs quality control"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Flying from Zagreb and arriving in time I lost my connection flight and even the next possible flight due to mismanagement and incompetent staff, resulting in a whole day spent waiting. Transit time from Croatia is miscalculated: A full passport control and yet another security check was required, instead of providing proper transit or at least proper signage, instead an ongoing frustration. Service members failed to see the urgency in time to place me in front of the numbered waiting queue, hence I lost my second connecting flight option. Service members were apparently not well concentrated or lacked skill to do their job at a high level. This airport needs quality control. Toilets are very clean, but what helps this to make up for this messy situation.

"Terrible signage"

Not Verified | Terribly complex airport. Terrible signage. Disgruntled, rude and tired security staff. Long queues and unappealing duty free section. No wonder it takes them more than a decade to finish Berlin airport or Stuttgart train station. Germans can no longer run big public projects. Their decline has started.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"will never return here again"

Not Verified | Huge layout that wasn’t very good, a massive security loop of people who appear to be very unfriendly. One nice guard out of the four times I’ve been there who was conversational, the rest were angry and appeared to be confrontational at best. There were several checkpoints for my flight and the one before my return flight home had given me tremendous problems and were unclear in their instructions. My confusion angered them even further and they were so mad at me for not understanding them. Worst of all, they appeared to dislike their jobs and were very bad at doing them. I don’t ever recommend FRA to anyone and will never return here again. They treat human beings like garbage and somehow still have jobs.
Date VisitJune 2019

"avoid transit through Frankfurt"

Not Verified | I had to change my plane while flying to Houston from Mumbai at Frankfurt. I had around 2.30 hours to change planes. My whole time was spent in going through the security process and the boarding of the plane had already started. Worst snail paced security ever seen. Since I was flying to US, they made us go through additional checks and we were traveling with 2 kids. Those security screening guys were lethargic and dead slow. I told one of them that their process was too slow. Please avoid transit through Frankfurt if you can.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"This was the absolute worst experience"

(Norway)

Not Verified | This was the absolute worst experience! I'm always very keen on clicking on the smileys at the security control satisfaction rating but this time - horrible! After 2 x 10 hour long flights we finally got to Frankurt our last transit airport before Norway. To our dismay we had to go through security check, everything we have in the bags has already been checked twice and bought at the airport. The waiting line was huge! Reason - incompetent staff! The camera equipment had to be taken out of the covers - I mean it's a modern airport with modern scanners! You can see through right?! I also had a tube of 125gram Vegemite I bought at the airport in Australia - food right?! Nope not allowed because it's too big? It was sealed, I had a receipt, bought it at the airport! Unnecessary rude officer just threw it away. This was the worst case of power abuse I had to deal with at the airport! And it was just a transit! Get yourself together Frankfurt!
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Frankfurt Airport is a total embarrassment to me"

Trip Verified | I am German and Frankfurt Airport is a total embarrassment to me. An airport is the first thing you see when entering a country, and it gives you a first impression what awaits you. Horrible, just horrible, such a shame - service-wise. No one can tell you anything, everyone is so unfriendly, you are sent from A to B and back, and the airport is just an unorganized mess. You always have the feeling you have to apologize to steal precious time of anyone. Combined with a late arrival with United and the incapability of Lufthansa to organize the connecting flight including Lufthansa-United finger pointing (I heard “not my fault” at least 4 times), we spent 10 hours in this lovely airport and missed 2 flights. I am currently writing from there. Not the first time that this happened. Avoid it if you can and book though Paris or Amsterdam. May Lufthansa and Frankfurt airport go bankrupt, I dont really care. Yes it is at least clean an you can shop - they have a Leica store, if you want to compensate your frustration about the German understanding of “service” by buying a 7,000 € Leica M10 camera - at least our products are world-class.