Frankfurt Main Airport

"50 mins in the priority security screening"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Another of my awful experiences at the Frankfurt Main airport. Spent about 50 mins in the priority security screening queue, with just one of the screening points (out of 4 or 5) in full operation (as during the COVID-19 lockdown times). When people got nervous, instead of opening another point (there was enough personnel around), they called the police, which wasn't much of help since the officers behaved in a highly unprofessional aggressive manner. When I complained, one of the officers told me to stay away from Frankfurt if I don't like how things are being done here.
Date VisitDecember 2021

"the single slowest, most inefficient operation I've ever seen in Germany"

Trip Verified | For departures leaving the Schengen zone give yourself at least 3 hours to get through exit customs and security. My arrival at the airport 2 hours before my flight led to one of the most stressful airport experiences I've ever had. There must have been 300-400 people waiting in the slow customs/security line which moved very slowly. Then the security screening itself seemed to process about one person per minute, with each person struggling to position themselves properly in the scanner and then still needing to be patted down afterward. There was only one officer to pat people down and he was slow and painstaking, sometimes taking an extra 30 seconds to explain what the person should do differently next time. He had the carefree attitude of someone painting watercolors on a Sunday afternoon, with hundreds of people waiting to get through this security line. This was the single slowest, most inefficient operation I've ever seen in Germany. This airport is a stain on the usually impeccable German infrastructure.
Date VisitDecember 2021

"partner’s lighter was thrown in the bin"

Trip Verified | I don’t have anything nice to say about this airport. The staff were extremely rude to both me and my partner and shouted at us when we couldn’t understand them at security despite knowing we obviously couldn’t speak the language. My partner had bought a lighter abroad and we researched and found out that the airport did allow lighters through security as long as they were kept on our person, however when we reached security, my partner’s lighter was thrown in the bin without our knowledge or consent and we were left standing for ages waiting for it to come through before finding out they had binned it without telling us. I was shouted at for not taking my shoes off at security even though I was not told to, and the woman who kept slapping her shoes and pointing at mine was rude and not in anyway helpful in conveying what she wanted me to do. The airport has not evolved to become modern in order to increase ease of travel. I do not recommend travelling to or from this airport. There is also very limited seating at the terminals.
Date VisitDecember 2021

"Worst Airport I have arrived and departed from"

Trip Verified | Worst Airport I have arrived and departed from. Only a few hand disinfecting stations. Hardly any food shops or places to buy drinks. Staff are less than average friendly and helpful. Going through to the gates it gets worse, crowded not very clean, and no possibilities to get a hot drink or something that's not sticky sweet except water.

"many maskless passengers"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Exhausted by 17 h of travel, 11 h on Lufthansa GRU-FRA flight, I took my chance to rest after arrival, at an empty, covid-safe wing, and slept there for 2.5 h. My transit was, after all, 10 h, thanks to Lufthansa rescheduling. Proceeding to arrival security check, I was the only passenger there, disturbing a socializing congregation of mostly maskless security staff. The woman who approached me had her mask under her nose, but lifted it up, on my request. Her male colleague, on the other hand, appeared rather irate. He took a body scan and unhappy with its result, made also an unprofessionally aggressive body search. Fuming with anger, he finally gave up, declaring his frustration of a 'blank' to his colleagues (in German, which I understand). Next, immigration. Only two passengers there, and three police. On my turn, I proceeded. A young policeman takes a look at my Finnish (EU) passport, ridicules it (What is this?! A Finnish passport! Not a passport) and declines to open it. Sneering, he orders me to go back and stand behind a line. There are I stand and wait, with three idle policemen who are supposed to check EU passports. Finally, another one gestures me to proceed. Add the usual Frankfurt Airport problems - cigarette smoke, dirt (e.g. toilets), shortage of seats and general lack of order - and new ones, such as many maskless passengers & staff.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"The worst airport by far"

Trip Verified | Immigration took more than 1 hour for non-European passengers. Of 14 counters, only 3 had officials working. An insult, a shame. Hundreds of passengers stranded for over an hour. Have not seen this even in developing countries in a long time. The worst airport by far.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"definition of a low quality airport"

Trip Verified | This airport can be the very definition of a low quality airport. My flight departed from Geneva on schedule but landed late due to congestion and while transiting a truck was blocking our shuttle bus doing nothing. As soon as two immigration officers saw people rushing to the border control, they suddenly turned off the light and disappeared. There were over 50 people in the queue with two immigration officers only, and two others only dealing with crews. What a joke.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"Keep it like this please!"

(Ukraine)

Trip Verified | For the first time in my life I'm giving FRA 10/10. Easy navigation from train to check in. Perfect check in handling. Breeze security check (3 min). Clean toilets. Immigration in 2 min with no lines. Eateries open. Didn’t check duty free (I normally avoid it and wasn’t disappointed see them partly closed). Lots of chairs to relax on, lots of different kind of seating, charging points, good signage. Keep it like this please!
Date VisitNovember 2021

"airport personnel were extremely rude and condescending"

Not Verified | The airport personnel at Frankfurt were extremely rude and condescending. After arriving in Frankfurt, I had to go through security again for the leg from Frankfurt to Brussels. I encountered a very obese female employee while placing my electronic devices and other items in their respective bins. She became irate when I asked her about whether certain items such as my passport and boarding pass should be retained when going through the scanner. In response, she started yelling at me stating “don’t you know the basics of travel.”

"Absolutely miserable experience"

Not Verified | My list of airports I would never visit used to be zero. Now I have one - I will never be flying through Frankfurt again. Absolutely miserable experience. Avoid it at all costs. What a complete disaster. I’ve flown hundreds of times in my life, and I think this was my worst experience with an airport to date. The security line was awful. I was lucky enough to be in first class (business trip), so there were only 4-5 people in line in front of me. It still took Frankfurt security 40 minutes to get us through the line. I can’t even imagine how it would have been in the regular line - I likely would not be have made my connection even though I had an hour and a half layover. I took my laptop out of my bag just out of habit, but they didn’t say anything about removing electronics. After one pass through, security tore my entire bag apart and resent it through, all the while scolding me for not removing all electronics. They apparently wanted everything down to phone chargers and AirPod cases taken out. I’m fine with extra security measures, but you need to tell people about it (Signage? Security agents?) beforehand so people can prepare. Outside of the security, the entire airport just feels dingy and neglected. It is awful trying to navigate around the airport, and half the time the lines to each terminal were so huge that you had no idea what you were actually standing in line for. Asking other travelers what the lines were for revealed that everyone else was just as confused as I was.