Frankfurt Main Airport

"Hilariously inefficient security checkpoints"

Trip Verified | Hilariously inefficient security checkpoints. Wastes everybody’s time by making you take out all liquids and electronics. Liquids smaller than 3.4 fl oz included. First time I’ve seen that. Same goes for electronics, doesn’t matter how small it is. Forgot to take an electronic or liquid out? Your entire bag gets emptied and all your stuff is thrown into a disorganized pile and handed back to you after they bomb test anything that they feel like needs to be tested. They hand your stuff back to you and throw a complimentary snarky comment on top of it. The restaurant variety sucks as well. Just sandwich shops. At least the seats in the terminal don’t have armbars so you can lay down. Work stations provide power outlets.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"avoid this one at all costs"

Not Verified | My experience at this airport was horrible. My family and I were in transit from Oslo to Frankfurt, then Houston. Our flight from Oslo had already departed late (without any prior notice given), so we were in kind of a rush. Upon reaching one of the checkpoints, we saw that there was almost no one in front of us, so we snaked quickly through the line. At one point, I ducked underneath one of the cloth belts (the ones they use with metal poles to divide up the lines) to get to the booths more quickly and hardly realized that one of these cloth dividers had come loose. As I reached the end, one of the employees in the booths, a young man in maybe his late twenties, yelled to me. When I turned to him, he yelled, "Why didn't you listen? Close it!" I genuinely hadn't heard him, so I apologized. However, I couldn't understand what he was asking me to do. My family and I really needed to get to our gate, so I asked, a little roughly, if I could please just go through. My family and I were all very jetlagged and just plain exhausted. The guard yelled at me, "Go close it!" and I realized, finally, that he was referring to the cloth belt that had come undone. His request, if I might add, was a little ridiculous. There were few people behind us (our flight was in the morning) and we really needed to get to our gate. He made me go all the way over to where the cloth belt had come loose and, pointing at it, said, "Close it!" I did, all while other travelers and employees watched and did nothing. I said to him, "Please, sir, my family is waiting for me," but he refused to let me go through until I completed this task. When I was back at the booth, the man took his sweet time looking through my passport and then proceeded to ask if one of my stamps (from May 2018) indicated my last port of entry into Europe. While I do have a lot of stamps, even a quick look at my passport would indicate that I had entered the country just earlier in December. The other stamp was from a previous trip and my return to the United States (my native country) was clearly indicated. After stamping my passport, he handed it to me and said, "Next time, you don't do what I say, you're gonna get in trouble." Yes, I understand that I need to obey airport employees. However, I tried to be respectful toward this man, ask for clarification after genuinely not hearing him, and he was completely disrespectful, humiliating me and almost making me miss my flight. When I finally did get to my gate, there were multiple lines to get onboard the flight, all kind of intertwined with one another and just a big mess. All the while, none of the airport employees gave us proper directions or more information about what was going on with our flight. That flight left slightly late, too. Back in 2016, I was in transit in Frankfurt and actually had a pleasant experience. However, my experience this past month, in particular with the aforementioned employee, was so humiliating that I will make an effort, the next time I am transiting through a European airport, to avoid this one at all costs.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"No common sense or care for passengers"

Trip Verified | This is the single worst airport I have ever visited. I just wrote a long descriptive review and even the internet shut out on me while submitting so it got erased. I don't have the energy to write it all again so suffice it to say, the security staff was rude, you're forced to go through an entirely new check in process and security check even when connecting there and it takes ages. There's a whole other "first class" line while waiting just to enter your terminal. They made me throw away 2 small tubes of cream because they wouldn't fit into the standard plastic bag they give each passenger. You are told to dispose of it yourself and have to walk backward through the line, outside the security area to deposit it in a trash can rather than them just having one inside the security area and throwing it away themselves. The bathrooms accommodate 2 people at a time, what a joke. No common sense or care for passengers goes into the operation of this airport and it's brutally clear you making your flight is not a priority. Just avoid this place. It's as close to a middle finger as the airline industry will ever give you and an embarrassment to Germany.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"will avoid Frankfurt Main"

Not Verified | Flew from Orlando to Frankfurt to connect onto Salzburg a few days before Christmas. The flight in on Lufthansa was on time, and we had a 1h 45m lay over. Even with this amount of time, we missed our flight by over half an hour. The security line was the most inefficiently run I’ve ever seen, a queue which would take TSA 20 minutes to clear took over an hour. The people directing us through security would randomly stop and chat instead of getting people through, and when we told the employees that we had a connecting flight soon, they said there was nothing they could do. Beyond that, the passport control took another hour to clear at least. The line at the Lufthansa help desk then took two hours to get through. In the end, we were stuck in Frankfurt over night and ended up having to rent a car to drive to Salzburg because Lufthansa and United couldn’t reschedule our flight. The general attitude of the employees was “there’s nothing we can do” and “if you make it you make it”, instead of at least trying to help. At the very least, this should not have been a legal connection scheduled by Lufthansa. I have never had an experience this bad elsewhere in Europe (London, Rome, Paris, Vienna) and will avoid Frankfurt Main in the future.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Security staff service were horrendous"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Security staff service were horrendous! They are not interested in doing their jobs which was surprising as I was expecting German efficiency. There were 2 officers at Gate A20 - but only one officer was screening while the other just lounged and chit chatted. Was shortchanged by the bakery upon arrival. Luckily the cashier returned the monies when confronted. Always ask for the receipt! The signages were also confusing and we had to back track. Will be avoiding Frankfurt Airport from now onwards.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Staff are extremely slow and unfriendly"

Not Verified | Frankfurt Airport is one of the worst large airports, and I am a frequent traveler, both for work and leisure. Not only is the airport dark, it lacks the amenities of many other airports in terms of shops and restaurants but it is the waiting times for the security and border control that make it a place I would avoid, if only I could. Staff are extremely slow and unfriendly and the containers with luggage go through the scanners at such a slow pace that queuing for 40 minutes now more of a rule and having to wait for well over an hour isn't unusual either. A few times now, I just made it to my flight, while I was at the airport almost two hours in advance of a Schengen-flight. Really can only hope they finally add capacity and let people have training at well-functioning airports.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"customers were not treated well"

Not Verified | The security seems unorganized, uninterested or incapable of speeding up the travel time of their customers. Luggage is not pushed through scanners as fast as possible, but there are huge idle times of scanners and scanner personnel. Most lanes and scanners were not open, so it took 40 min. through security even when using the quick boarding pass scanners to get in. On top, customers were not treated well. Slow, inefficient service is not necessarily a sign of thorough checking. I will try to avoid Frankfurt Airport in the future.

"A total farce"

Not Verified | Probably the absolute worst experience at airport security in my life. We waited in line for over 40mins to go through the security check. Only one scanner out of three possible open, staff standing around chatting and generally being useless! We made it to the aircraft and many others only made the flight because we were delayed taking off due to high winds at Heathrow. I would sack the management and bring in staff from other airports who have a proven record of being able to manage staff and react to differing situations. A total farce and I will do my very best not to use this airport again. I travel to Germany many times each year.

"Terrible airport"

Not Verified | Terrible airport! Gate was announced an hour before the flight. Reached the boarding gate after long lines at border control and security well past the departure time but luckily so did a lot of others so could still catch the flight.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"attitude was just awful"

Not Verified | Absolutely awful. The most inefficient airport security I’ve ever gone through. Second time here, the first time I had an hour to transfer, and a line with just 15 people in front of us at security for terminal B took over 40 minutes to clear. We missed our connection because of this. This is a queue that at other major airports like (Heathrow, JFK, etc) would take minutes to clear. The staff there are busy chatting with each other instead of working efficiently, and their attitude was just awful. They also spend a lot of time chitchatting with the passengers in the queue, slowing it down even further. This time we made sure to leave over 3 hours for our layover. We met other travellers (again at terminal B) who were worried they would miss their layover due to the same situation.