Frankfurt Main Airport

"Very unorganised airport"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Very unorganised airport. Very tight between the terminals when you pass security. They have to fix this, if you transit make sure you have at least 1.5 hours to pass.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"a place where the passengers have to expect stress and discomfort"

Trip Verified | I live close to Frankfurt airport and travel intensively for the last 25 years, both for business and personal purposes. In fact, I have several flights a month departing/arriving to FRA. Many years ago this hub was a comfortable place, where the passengers may spent comfortable time prior to departure or arrival. This is no longer true at least for the last decade. I personally experienced essential inconveniences and even shocks when transferring through the Fraport services, here are just several examples of the bad services at this airport. The arriving airplanes are often parked at external positions far from the terminals and then the passengers are transported to concourse by buses. Even 10 hours long haul flights do this, too. The bus drivers in Fraport do have no any respect to the passengers when driving at high speed, sharp curving and sudden stops, and I have seen several times as passengers landing after long flight were vomiting inside the bus because of such a driving style. When once I mentioned the driver about this wrong driving, I was really aggressively attacked by him. Another example of really bad services at airport are escalators and elevators. From my personal statistics, approximately 25% of all escalators and elevators are always out of order. Therefore, the passengers carrying several bulky cabin luggage have to lift them up on the stairs. The staff at airport frequently behaves unfriendly and with arrogance, especially at the security check areas. The parking facilities at airport are just a disaster. Having a full SUV, for me it is always a challenge to get into parking lot and find a park place due to extremely narrow driveways and positions. That is also true for business parking which is claimed to provide extra wide lots. The prices for parking, however, beat all existing at other world airports. The payment system for parking is very unreliable and fails often, without any support by ground service. The minor things like the lack of power outlets in the waiting areas, the permanent constructions inside and outside the buildings, the bad signing and extreme aggressiveness of taxi drivers at departure/arrival lots complement the concise description of this airport. All in all, this airport is a place where the passengers have to expect stress and discomfort on the whole way from parking to embarkation. Travelling intensively world-wide, I can say that this airport is one of the worse I ever seen.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"Impossible passport control queues"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt airport in general has fallen to a new low. Impossible passport control queues at Terminal A/Z, more than an hour wait for transit, disorganized and inefficient waiting lines. No information. There are other passport controls you can access after a 45 min transit, in B, but then you have to exit the sterile area and wait in line at the most inefficient and disorganized security check a modern airport has seen. Security checkpoints are manned by clearly underpaid staff with sub-par organization, and I'm talking about simple things, as in multiple people could concurrently prepare for the security check at one station. Not at FRA Terminal B. ... chaos, incompetence, disregard for passengers. Business/First/Stargold line was 30 minutes. A really bad commercial for Germany at this very difficult time for the world in general. People waited 4+ hours at passport control in A/Z .. and not to mention zero cogent signage and zero personnel at hand to inform passengers what is happening.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"information about lack of facilities would have been appreciated"

Trip Verified | Upon arrival on Terminal 2 we and the rest of the passengers from the plane were directed to the exit which once we got to it were told by the cleaning lady is closed so had to go back to the other end of the terminal with all luggage to get to the exit. A sign or else much earlier would have been helpful. We then had to change over to terminal 1 to get to the car hire place via the shuttle bus service and then walk to the very end of the terminal to find that. By the end we were well fed up with travelling. On departure, at least we were were aware of the closure of the car hire return at terminal 2, however, were shuffled onto Gate without any prior information that literally every single shop was closed and we had to spend 90mins on a gate without anything to spend time on. Some sort of information about lack of facilities which were open on Friday evening would have been appreciated. But clearly, neither airline nor airport have any interest in making passengers feel welcome again. Avoid airport! Ihr wollt das auf deutsch? Gern! So ein unangenehmer Flughafen. Bei Anflug auf Terminal 2, wurden alle Passagiere zu einem Ausgang geleitet, der dann gemäß der Putzfrau bereits geschlossen wurde, so dass alle Passagiere mit all ihrem Gepäck zum anderen Ende des Terminals mussten. Dann fanden wir raus, dass wir zum Terminal 1 mussten, um unseren Mietwagen abzuholen. Die Distanzen und Zeiten die wir benötigen, um aus dem Flughafen rauszukommen, waren knappe 3 Stunden für eine Stunde Flug. Auf dem Rückflug wurden so schnell wie möglich zum Gate gelenkt, wo wir 1 1/2 mit keinerlei Einkaufs- oder Versorgungsmöglichkeiten (quickers ist keine Verpflegung!) verfrachtet wurden. Eine Information im Vorfeld hätte uns wenigstens ermöglicht, uns zu versorgen aber weder Fluggesellschaft noch Flughafen hat ein Interesse daran, Passagiere Freude am Fliegen zu haben. Flughafen vermeiden!
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"Worst security operation I've ever seen in my travels"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | I landed (from Seattle on Condor) in section 'B'. I had to walk to A22 to catch my next flight to Palma. Horrible long walk. I followed the signs to section 'A'. At every turn I was faced with another long corridor to walk (tired, sore knees, dragging bag). No moving sidewalks until almost the end. I asked for help to be transported on an electric cart. They said I had to back to the check-in counter to make those arrangements. I was transferring, therefore I had no need to go to the check-in counter and that was a long way back. So, I continued on. Then I encountered the security check. Oh my goodness..horrible! I put my bags on the belt, then walked through the metal detector then I waited and waited and waited. I was rudely told by an officer to stack the empty bins coming off the belt (I only used 2 of the 6) and then he barked at me to put them on the conveyor belt "one by one!" After that, where was my bag? I asked an armed officer what the process was, that I had waited 15 mins and no bag, I was concerned someone may have grabbed it. He only said 'maybe it's still in the machine'. It seemed like every bag was brought up to the counter and an officer had to review the insides with the passenger. Finally, a man brought my bag to the counter and opened it which was only full of memorabilia from my mothers recent passing, a cookie jar, a coffee cup, many Christmas ornaments. He would touch the edge of the cookie jar and then examine the overhead screen, then touch the coffee cup and do the same thing, then repeat it again. Finally he let me go. Good thing there was only maybe 4-6 people ahead of me as I can imagine if they were many more passengers the line would've been long and people miss their flights. Worst security operation I've ever seen in my travels!
Date VisitAugust 2021

"Worst customer service ever"

Trip Verified | The security check was terrible. It was amazingly slow and lots of people complained and even screamed. I am sure that more than one person missed their flight. I didn't miss mine by the skin of my teeth. Even worse, I have sent them many emails to complain. I was told that the responsibility of security checks falls on the federal police. So I emailed them. First, they replied with a clearly auto-generated response. I replied asking for a real response that addressed my points. They never replied back, even though I sent several emails already. Worst customer service ever. Such clowns.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"The TSA/security here was absolutely horrible"

Not Verified | The TSA/security here was absolutely horrible. For some reason they took forever to give my stuff back even though my mom kept saying that we were going to miss our flight, to which they either didn’t care or gave attitude. I’m a calm person most of the time but security was taking so long to check our stuff and they checked my bag for absolutely no reason even though we just went through security for 10 min - so I honestly snapped and yelled at them which happened because the TSA agent was incredibly rude to my mom. I shouldn’t have yelled at all but the service was absolutely godawful, I’ve gone through TSA numerous times in other airports and they're mostly normal and don’t take 30 minutes to give your luggage back and also to add that Lufthansa gave us a form to fill out-even though nobody ever checked it, which wasted more of our time. Don’t go here unless you want to experience the fun of the TSA holding your bags so you miss your flight.
Date VisitJune 2021

"I have never seen such an horrible place"

(Finland)

Not Verified | I have never seen such an horrible place. Grey, grey, grey and old. Nothing beautiful here. The chairs are for to sit down, but not style. The roof is full of cables and all open. I have been travelling all around the world, but never been in hell like this. Do something!
Date VisitMay 2021

"waste 10 whole minutes on body search"

Trip Verified | Appalling behaviour by the security staff. They refused to speak English and berated me for forgetting to take my phone out of my pocket. As punishment they decided to waste 10 whole minutes on body search although I told them I would miss my connection. I made it at the nick of time but I'm raising a formal complaint with the airport.
Date VisitMay 2021

"Avoid Frankfurt airport if you can"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | This might be the 70th airport I have visited in my life and the worst experience yet. I arrived there in an 80 people Schengen flight. This was during COVID times and the terminal was almost empty. However it took 1+hour for out luggage to come out! It would have been quicker for us to pick it from the plane directly! The atmosphere in the airport was mournful, quivering lights, no staff to ask questions, signs sometimes were contradictory, just a few places to disinfect hands. Avoid Frankfurt airport if you can!
Date VisitMarch 2021