Exeter Airport

"a shambles from start to finish"

Trip Verified | I was booked to travel Club Europe from this airport on 21st August 2021. No dedicated check-in, no priority security, no business lounge. I managed to find a quiet place to sit upstairs in the bar area (the outside seating area was closed). After about 30 minutes an airport employee entered the bar area to inform all of us who were seated there, that the area should have been cordoned off and that we had to move downstairs. Apparently, this was because the floor was unstable. We were told there were plenty of seats at the bottom of the stairs so we went downstairs to sit - which was directly underneath the unstable floor! Very odd - and very dangerous I would have thought. I got the distinct impression that the jobsworth employee just did not want to patrol the upstairs area, so he moved us all downstairs. Because of the danger of the upstairs floor caving in on us we all moved to the main seating area in a windowless room which was extremely busy and required some considerable searching to find empty seats. The area soon became very busy without a seat to be had. All those people sitting so close to each other in a room without a window and all I could think about was Social Distancing. Before long my flight was called and I moved to the boarding gate, Here we all waited whilst the ground staff went into overdrive because they spotted an elderly woman who was reliant on oxygen - and who had a tank strapped to her back. I overheard the member of staff ask of another about how the lady got through check in and security without being challenged about her oxygen. I too questioned this and wondered how easy it would be for a terrorist to get through the airport. This thought soon dissipated when a door suddenly opened and an airport employee shouted 'They're ready for you now' - at which point there was a mad rush for the door. We are all so used to polite announcements made over the tannoy, that to have someone open a door and shout an instruction was quite refreshing - not! In all, a shambles from start to finish. I don't think I have ever been through such an unprofessional airport in my life. And I've been through many airports in some of the most back of beyond places in the world.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"terrible service and fading airport"

Trip Verified | One small coffee machine and a tray of muffins at the closed café airside is the only f&b offered at Exeter. The WiFi service appears to have been switched off, and the remote location of this airport also means there is no mobile signal. The management have used Covid to cut costs beyond an acceptable level. Security is quaint, with staff trying their best but appearing to be very amateur. The truly worst part as always is the miserable Border Force staff on return immigration. They are very rude, dismissive and seem to be in a mood that they are stuck at such a tiny little airport rather than an international hub such as Heathrow. Exeter is convenient for my west country house, but I will be adding the extra 2.5 hour drive to Heathrow to avoid this terrible service and fading airport.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"no charging points anywhere"

Not Verified | I Had the misfortune to have our flight to Manchester delayed by an hour and a half yesterday and was stuck in the departure lounge at this out of date airport. On arrival we purchased 2 decaf coffees and they were drinkable. I then had a look around WH Smith’s (This was the only place available to purchase food) and just couldn’t believe my eyes as there was just cheese sandwiches available. I asked the assistant if they could replenish the sandwiches and she informed me that’s all that’s available, So Crisps it was for my lunch. There was no charging points anywhere to be seen. I did manage to send an email to the airport about my dissatisfaction but as of yet have had no response. I know that things are not going to be back to normal straight away but for goodness sake surely the basic needs of all of your customers is a must.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"experience was relatively smooth"

Trip Verified | Departure experience was relatively smooth, an early morning flight on Ryanair so airport was very quiet. Security was well managed, clear markings on the floor to encourage social distancing. However there was no coffee shop open so nowhere to buy a drink or a bite to eat. Arriving back was very quick, there were a number of staff members on hand to organise passengers, no queue at passport control and bags were out within minutes, however this was to be expected due to a very quiet flight and an empty airport. Overall, whilst the airport appeared clean we did not see any staff members cleaning while we were there with no hand sanitising stations available to passengers.
Date VisitAugust 2020

"zero customer service skills"

Not Verified | Supervisor at check-in had zero customer service skills. She was apathetic and had no empathy. We had an error with website on Ryanair and she clearly could not be bothered to explain the situation, just wanted the £55 Ryanair check in fee. Just really poor skills at handling customers or complaints. Shameful.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"Jobsworth security staff"

Trip Verified | Jobsworth security staff ruined our departure experience. They checked absolutely everything. Ran through all our toiletries even though they were in less than 100 ml bottles. Checked the bottles with their dipper sticks whilst behaving like control freaks, very unpleasant experience and wholly unacceptable and unnecessary. They didn’t need to nitpick over absolutely everything and refused one item that was clearly in an allowed bottle on the grounds it did not state the size. How do these people sleep at night adopting such a bullying mentality?
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"ruined the day for us"

Not Verified | The airport was fine and the staff were up until we had to go through security. I went to help my sister as I saw she had to open her case. The security staff made my sister go through all her toiletries even though they were all 100 mls or less and in a clear zip-top bag. The woman said she had too many and started throwing them out. I said to my sister it was strange as I had just been cleared through and had no problems. This woman then demanded I open my bag and promptly went through all my toiletries throwing out some because she said I had too many, even though I explained I'd just been security checked and passed through. She was really nasty and spiteful. My sister and I didn't have too much she was just being bloody minded. We tried to argue but she just got nastier. There was absolutely no need for her to be so rude. Exeter airport really needs to teach its staff how to react with the customer and be polite and helpful. She really ruined the day for us.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"I was not impressed"

Not Verified | The Flybe check-in staff was very pleasant and helpful but other than this I was not impressed. The cost of parking is shockingly expensive at nearly £30 per day (pre-booked) and the parking instructions are inaccurate. When I pushed the 'call help' button on exiting the car park I was spoken to in a curt manner. The security screening staff were rude. I was told by one staff member to walk through the scanner and by another to take off my shoes. Couldn't do both at once but was told off and then subjected to extra checks. No customer skills are evident in security!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"manners cost nothing"

Not Verified | Having booked fast track security for my departure I was looking forward to a pleasant experience, unfortunately as a lone female traveller at 6 am I was disgusted by the way I was spoken to by the lady who was working on the hand luggage scanner. I can only describe her behaviour as belittling and rude and as it was not busy there was no need to act this way. This put a real downer on what was supposed to be the start of an exciting trip and I understand she had a job to do but manners cost nothing.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Exeter Airport should be ashamed"

Trip Verified | A bad experience as a wheelchair user, arriving at Exeter Airport from Palma Majorca early on a Saturday afternoon with my wife and 7 year old grandson I received help from a female member of staff to get me from the aircraft down the narrow ramps onto the tarmac, and that is where any more assistance ended. Off we go to collect our suitcases and the entrance into the building couldn't be any further from the aircraft, luckily it wasn't raining, as we approached the entrance I noticed a ramp up to doorway with a male and a female member of staff with their high vis jackets stood at the top of the and neither one offered any assistance whatsoever to my wife, disgraceful. Through passport control and out to the carousel to collect three suitcases and not a helping hand in sight, it was real struggle to get to the car park and Exeter Airport should be ashamed. I would like to point out myself and my wife are both in our 60s and that Exeter Airport were made well aware in advance of the assistance that was needed, I was the only passenger on board the aircraft that needed assistance and there were a fair few people stood around in high visibilty vests doing nothing so surely someone could have further assistance.
Date VisitSeptember 2019