Detroit Airport

(Brazil)

We arrived at and connected at the MacNamara terminal used by Delta etc. rather than the older north terminal used by Southwest American etc. which we had used on a previous trip. This terminal is relatively small clean and easy to use. We had a very short walk between gates. Almost disappointed we made our connection as I was secretly hoping we'd have to overnight and be put in the lovely Westin hotel that's in the terminal.
Queuing Times N/A

Detroit Airport customer review

I flew AMS-DWT and then on to MKE at the end of May it was a fair walk from the arrival gate to immigration passing the US citizen entry area which was quite full I only had 1 hour left of my transfer time left so was a little apprehensive as to how long the queue for non US persons what a surprise around ten booths open and around twenty people yes 20 people queuing! I was chatting to the CBP guy for 5 minutes since there was no one behind me it seems that immigration had been full at 2pm with flights from 'Asia' but is slow at 3pm for a while. I continued on past baggage claim (I only had hand luggage) and on to security screening again no queues. The staff were very friendly and we chatted about the difference between DTW and the madness at ORD and I was on to my next flight around 20 minutes from leaving the plane and half of that was chatting to officials. The elevators bring you out in departures at the central train stop so on to the train to the north station and the gate was around 2 minutes walk as usual I checked the gate and time I had time to freshen up and bought a Philly Steak which was very nice and around $5.00 soon after they were calling the flight. I have used the airport before without problems I have to give DTW 10 out of 10. A quick note you can take food and drink you buy in the terminal on to planes in the US most people seem to since they don't serve more then pretzels on board it is called buy and fly.

Detroit Airport customer review

The Customs procedure leaves something to be desired. We will not book another flight that goes through Detroit for international flights again. We were on a flight that originated in Barcelona then onto Amsterdam (where we did a complete security scan) onto Detroit. We passed through customs just fine with the declarations paper completed and verified by an officer before we collected our luggage. Then our luggage was late coming off the plane and by then other flights arrived making the customs line exceedingly long. We told 3 customs officers patrolling the area (there were another 4 just standing around doing nothing) that we had a flight leaving in 30 minutes. Each one said we would make it. Then we had to go through another security check (we just had one at the gate in Amsterdam). Well we missed the flight. The next one we were put on was leaving 6 hours later and did not have the option of an extra 4 inches of leg room previously purchased for our original flight. In Amsterdam by the way there was an express line through customs for those travelers that had a flight leaving in 30 minutes or less. Why US airports don't do this should be explored. Probably because it makes sense.

Detroit Airport customer review

Passed through on the way to Japan and was pleasantly surprised. I like this airport very much. Very clean excellent signage excellent dining options (pricey but good) video boards with the playoffs on the walls everything seems to run smoothly. Also had comfortable chairs which is nice.

Detroit Airport customer review

Travelled here from Schiphol in transit to Orlando arriving at 4.20 pm on 10 October 2013. Shortest TSA lines we have experienced ever and the agent was both polite and welcoming which is unusual in our past experience. He apologised as the computer system froze and he had to reboot - as did his colleagues. Took around 10 minutes to get back on line and thereafter very efficient. Baggage recheck very quick and security well staffed and again very polite particularly when dealing with children and one passenger in a wheelchair. Overall Detroit is now our favourite transit airport.

Detroit Airport customer review

What should have been a simple flight turned into a nightmare. Gate C24 boarded plane was told plane there was a problem had to de-plane and walk all the way over to Gate B18 and get on a second plane. Then told there was another fault had to wait 20 minutes for them to fix it after 20 minutes we had to again de-plane and walk back to the C24 Terminal. Now on third plane - waiting. To compensate they offered me a complimentary can of pop and pretzels. A lousy airline!

Detroit Airport customer review

Great stopover-airport to use for immigration. Immigration is always empty and within few minutes you are through the process. The airport itself is large but they have a train going thru the terminal which avoid long walks. Shops are ok. It is certainly a lot better than what you heard and read about the actual city of Detroit.

Detroit Airport customer review

This airport is very large and long. It is just one tunnel. There are 3 train stops throughout the McNamara Terminal. However there are constant announcements telling people the time in Japanese Spanish and English. I can't however rate the restrooms due to my non-entering. This airport is very large and spacious. There is never a contest for seats.
Airport Shopping N/A

Detroit Airport customer review

McNamara (Delta's) terminal. Very fast security (<5 min) very clean aesthetic and airy. Very helpful staff good places to get a snack or a good meal that range from common and affordable chains to exclusive restaurants. Love their VINO bar. There is a hotel inside the terminal and free internet for 30 min. Very rare delays. Very fast luggage delivery. Probably the best airport in the country and the best place for transit. Very limited public transportation. Plenty of parking - the closest one (2-10 min walk to the terminal) is expensive - 20$/day.

(Philippines)

Probably the best US airport. Customs and immigration very efficient. Out of the customs queue in 30 minutes (including re checking bags for connecting flight from an international arrival). TSA not surly as in other US airports. Good facilities and eating options. Free wifi but limited to only 30 minutes. Would make this my transit point when visiting Eastern US.