Detroit Airport

Detroit Airport customer review

A great airport - clean modern well organized. The dining and shopping choices are excellent and I really don't mind having to spend a few hours in this airport. It's quite comfortable. Clearing customs is always fairly quick and efficient and the people who work at this airport tend to be very friendly and helpful. Even though I am not from Detroit when arriving at this airport from abroad I already feel home.

Detroit Airport customer review

As a resident of the Detroit Metro area I have to say that the new terminal is definitely an improvement over the old one. Definitely get to this airport early - traffic can be horrible in the area and you'll want the extra time to clear the security. But once you get through the checkpoints the MacNamara terminal offers many opportunities to relax and enjoy yourself before your flight. You can catch a beer and a game (and a smoke if you so desire) in one of the bars peruse the various shops around the terminal or simply read a book or magazine that you can purchase from many different kiosks if you didn't bring one with you already. Generally very clean spacious-feeling and easy on the eye.

Detroit Airport customer review

I was pleasantly surprised by DTW. The terminal is modern design is attractive food and shopping provide great selection and the staff no matter if airport or other is usually very friendly (not common at US airports according to my experience) - plus good news for smokers there is legal spot for smoking Fox Sport Bar right across the Sky lounge. Even the immigration process and customs are smooth and quick without pointless hassling and abusing the power of uniform. I admit the terminal is very long and narrow and can get crowded easily and the inside terminal tram can be confusing for first time visitors but the atmosphere and facilities are good and definitely beats majority of the US airports.

Detroit Airport customer review

I booked a ticket from Atlanta to Amsterdam via DTW on Northwest Airlines. After hearing the rave reviews about the new WorldGateway I had high expectations for it. However as soon as I stepped out of the gate I realized I had been let down. There are only three tram stations in the entire mile-long terminal so some walking is needed. It is easy to walk such distance in a normal scenario but toting a carryon bag does not help. Also senior citizens who have some difficulty walking will find the airport to be miserable for the same reason. The terminal is actually quite narrow so crowds cannot disperse too easily. If a family of eight or nine stops to look at an airport map a bottleneck will ensue as two or three people at a time try to make their way around the family. Besides the walking and crowds the choice of dining is minimal- besides the normal fast food chains and two or three restaurants there isn't too much more to expect. I found that my packed peanut butter sandwich was better than what most stores offered. After returning from Amsterdam I was faced with perhaps the rudest customs agents I have encountered. The agents barked orders to people who hardly knew English and made no efforts to explain things to them. In every other city I have cleared customs I've been greeted with a pleasant "welcome home!". Not this time. The man behind the counter grumpily stamped my passport and bade me farewell. Detroit's new terminal isn't all it's made out to be and I will make a point to avoid it in the future.

Detroit Airport customer review

I've flown (international flights only) in and out of DTW several times since the new NW terminal opened and I can't believe what a massive improvement it's been. The food and shopping are great and the NW Worldclubs are really really nice. But coming in from London once our NW flight was prohibited from deplaning until all the passengers from a previous flight had cleared passport control. We had to stay on the plane at the gate an additional 50 minutes after landing and most of us missed our connections. The explanation the airport provided was that there was some rule permitting only one flight to clear passport control at a time - something I have never heard of at any other airport - and we were encouraged to write to the local legislators to complain. It was an utterly bizarre experience and one I still don't understand.

Detroit Airport customer review

I've flown home several times from Montreal to my hometown Chicago on NW for the holidays good connections at the McNamara Terminal and impressive duty-free on the way back to Montreal. Just a tip for smokers as of January 2005 smokers could still enjoy a cigarette in the Fox Skybox Lounge located in the middle of the terminal near the duty-free shop. Used to airports like O'Hare and Montreal's Dorval which relegate smokers to the curb (more complicated in Montreal because you have to exit through US customs again to get back out!) this was a welcome surprise.