Belfast Airport

"Dirty and expensive"

Not Verified | Dirty and expensive. Close it before it walks off on its own. On arrival back we were the only people returning at that time but we were at the very end stand? Lots of older people with a very long walk. A 25 minute wait until our bags were put on the belt? And the toilets in the arrivals were blocked, I will gladly pay the extra to leave from belfast city or even Dublin. Never again, where is health and hygiene?
Date VisitOctober 2019

"security is the worst I’ve ever come across"

Trip Verified | Just to reinforce the previous comments on the board, the security experience at this airport is really unpleasant. I travel by air throughout the U.K. every week and this airport security is the worst I’ve ever come across. The process is slow and the staff rude.

"has the worst security"

Not Verified | Belfast International airport has the worst security. I have the misfortune to use the airport every week and it just does not get any better, this is despite the major refit that has recently taken place. Far too many lanes closed with staff just hanging around. Staff working at snails pace compared to LGW Standard passengers let into the priory lane. Rubbish.

"airport filthy"

Not Verified | Toilets need a major overhaul. Smoking area absolutely disgusting. General areas of airport filthy except for restaurant shops and bar ie areas you lease out if they keep their areas clean why can’t you?
Date VisitOctober 2019

"security is so intimidating"

Trip Verified | The security at Belfast international airport is so intimidating due to the manner of the staff. When I arrived I was asked to put all liquids into bag which I did. I put them into tray and had another tray with my iPad, mobile phone and belt. I was then told to remove my plimsolls and was given a smaller blue tray by one of the security team and this was put on different conveyor belt. I had items on 4 trays. I moved through the Body security scanner and then got a body search by female member of staff. Moved to end of line on other side waiting for the trays to come through scanner and be on my way. I waited and waited and waited. I would have to say that the whole process was extremely rushed and very manic and very very intimidating. I could see some of the trays sitting after going through scanner but was unable to lift them. Security then came and took swabs from my makeup bag and put the swab through for drugs check which of course came through clear. I was then sent back to body security for hand check and was asked for passport. This appeared to be for a random check triggered by something that happened in their processes. There was a few others that were standing beside us that seemed to be going through the same process. When I eventually got the go ahead I gathered up my belongings and almost forgot my iPad which had been set aside on one of the trays. It would have been so easily to have forgot something due to the chaos and the amount of trays being put on the conveyor which were not in sequence of travellers going through. When I got to my hotel the selfie stick which I had packed before leaving was no longer there. I had forgotten to take it out before going through security but security must have taken it out unbeknown to me and hadn’t informed me therefore I hadn’t taken it before leaving. I feel so annoyed and will do my utmost to avoid this airport when booking my next holiday.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"To say this airport is shambolic is an understatement"

Not Verified | To say this airport is shambolic is an understatement. On the way out dealt with usual highly unpleasant security staff but this faded to insignificance on the return. Flight from Lanzarote had been delayed for one hour. Arrived in Belfast at 1 am in the morning during storm Lorenzo and due to two flights arriving simultaneously the entrance into the building could not cope with volume of customers. As such pensioners, babies and others had to stand outside in the freezing rain. Once inside the terminal we were horrified to join hundreds of people in an extraordinarily long queue for passport control. Such is the normality of this situation that after queuing for around 15 minutes we reached a sign warning us we had at least another 15 minutes to reach passport control. This was an under estimation. A number of signs warned customers not to abuse staff which indicates two things, firstly it is now a quality standard in this airport that its customers are delayed inordinately to the point of overwhelming frustration and secondly the abuse of customers standing outside in terrible conditions and waiting in horrendous queues after long and late flights is acceptable. This airport was recently named worse in the U.K. I would say it is one of the worst internationally and operates like a third world resource. Lots of money has been spent in the aesthetics of this building. Perhaps it should have been used for staff, customer service training and a main entrance to the terminal that was bigger than a household set of stairs. It is hard to come up with a solution as it is not that the airport is not aware of it’s inadequate facilities. It just seems unprepared to do anything about it.

"should be ashamed"

Trip Verified | Short and sweet this airport is a disgrace. On entry to departures, you are met with a ramshackle of wooden tables and chairs. I have seen better by a mile works in canteens and a bar with prices to make your eyes water. Tesco is cheaper than the tiny duty-free. On return long queues to show my passport to a civil servant who looked like he didn't really want to be there. All inappropriate. The owners of this shambles should be ashamed.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Something needs to be done"

Not Verified | Horrendous experience through security. Even with all lanes opened we were almost missing our flight. On arrival the queue through immigration was backed up the whole way to the stairs from the plane. There must have been a thousand of people in a queue. Something needs to be done.

"lousy security process"

Not Verified | This airport is the worst I have ever used. They charge £1 for every car that picks up or drops off passengers. Then you have to walk over to the entrance doors in the wet weather (which is very often in NI). Everything in this airport is about screwing money out of you. Over priced food and drinks. Poor seating and lousy security process. This place describes NI perfectly.

"Shocking service"

Trip Verified | Shocking service, not very busy but had to wait 15 minutes to get a coffee in the departures lounge, no clean cups so had to have takeaway with only one person in front of me in the queue. Then long wait at the only Ryanair check in desk of 4 open. After clearing security went to the bar and had to wait another 15 minutes to get a Guinness but they didn’t have any. All the ladies toilets were being cleaned at the same time and had to wait another 20 minutes with a young child needing the toilet, I have travelled to third world countries that have better airports than this. The staff are all miserable!
Date VisitAugust 2019