Belfast Airport

"No social distancing"

Not Verified | No social distancing. No cleaning of the airport or wiping down surfaces. Staff in Sip and Stone were rushed off their feet. Food was cold and was given the wrong order. Also very poor value.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"BFS has become a budget airport for budget airlines"

Trip Verified | I had fond memories of this airport from a being a child. There was a viewing gallery, an area for kids to play video games, plenty of seating etc. Boy has the airport changed, I had no trouble getting checked in and had no issues in security. The departure terminal is what I would describe as being dank. I saw no USB ports for passengers to charge phones etc. Seating was just horrible. Most of the seats are located at the various eateries, with other seating being quite hard to come by both in terms of empty seats and just seats in general. I’d say a good 3/4 of the seating was in one of the cafes/bars. I was flying with easyJet and had selected speedy boarding which consisted of being wrangled into an un air conditioned stairwell for about 15 minutes, which wasn’t very pleasant. In terms of amenities, unless you shop or sit at a bar there isn’t much to do in the airport. No viewing gallery, no quiet areas where you could read etc, they also have the cheek to charge £1 for terminal drop off. As with Stanstead, BFS has become a budget airport for budget airlines.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"a word of warning for anyone who will be renting a car"

Not Verified | I recently flew into Belfast in June 2021 for a 2 day trip. I rented a car from Hertz car rental that I had booked through a third party and had already prepaid the required insurances before going to Belfast so that I did not have to purchase insurance when arriving in Belfast Airport. Upon my arrival, I went to the Hertz desk to get my rental car. The woman behind the counter asked if I wanted to take out personal injury insurance which I politely declined. She then proceeded to tell me that Hertz had to take a £70 deposit for fuel if I did not return it back full which I agreed to. I gave over my card details I used to purchase the rental and signed the car rental agreement. After returning home after my trip, I checked my bank account and noticed Hertz had taken £68 which I did not know why. I had returned the car with full fuel so it couldn't have been that. When I contacted Hertz to see what the charge was for, they told me it was for a Super Collision Waiver Insurance. Now this was news to me as I hadn't heard of it or was even asked at the desk if I wanted to take it out. When looking back at my signed form for the car, the Super Collison Waiver fee was in there, but because I did not read the form before signing it I did not notice in included and Hertz are impossible to get through to that I will have to take this a loss. This post is a word of warning for anyone who will be renting a car from Belfast International that to read the forms carefully before signing the agreement so that you can avoid this from happening again.
Date VisitJune 2021

"this shoddy airport is not good enough for Northern Ireland"

Not Verified | This airport is in a bad condition. It needs a deep clean, new interior, better shops and dining areas, a wider variety of airlines. Not good enough to call the airport international with just low cost EasyJet based at it and no transatlantic flights. I think it would be very beneficial to seek contracts with more airlines and specifically offer a few transatlantic routes even on smaller aircrafts such as the A321neo. In 2021, this shoddy airport is not good enough for Northern Ireland. On the positive side, the bus service is decent and frequent, clearing customs is quick enough and there’s at least a currency exchange booth at the main entrance.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"better than anticipated"

Trip Verified | Like all good Ulstermen, one may consider avoiding BFS due to its perceived poor service and reviews. I have avoided it mostly in recent years and opted for BHD or DUB as an alternatives for business travel to the Province. My experience the other day however was better than anticipated. Security, was better, was quite quick and on balance I have to say efficient. Someone in charge directing customers has helped enormously and the high volume annoying screams of 'liquids, pastes and gels' in ones ear has ended. The new body scanners make a difference and speed things up. Numbers wise it was quieter than usual but everything else went smooth overall. The gate areas can get crowded if there are two flights leaving next to each other.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"a very shoddy airport"

Not Verified | Dreadful experience in a very shoddy airport. Feel ashamed that this is the first experience of N Ireland for many visitors. Every area in the terminal needs repainting, but preferably it needs to be torn down and rebuilt. The gaudy tiles in arrivals and in the corridor leading to the exit are truly appalling. It is not very impressive to see cigarette butts and peeling paint at the entrance and then to walk to the very expensive car park which is not even fully properly surfaced. I get the impression that the airport owners are quite happy to take money from passengers but provide the bare minimum in return. I have just returned from Bristol airport which is of a similar size and has recently been greatly improved. It is smart, clean and modern. Cannot use any of those words about Belfast. This airport was built in the sixties and I remember it well from those days. Much of that building is still there. It has long passed its sell-by date.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"Greatly disappointed with security staff"

Trip Verified | Greatly disappointed with security staff and their treatment of air passengers at the incorrectly named Belfast International. They’ve made promises in the past to improve but sadly they’re back to their sad old ways. There was 3 out of 6 security gates open although the departure lounge was overflowing. After receiving their inhumane and degrading treatment they’ve the cheek to say “have a good flight”. Unfortunately, they’ve ruined your flight and holiday before it begins.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"what a mess"

Not Verified | This is a third world airport, what a mess. They say it had a check in security upgrade, what a joke. Someone still has to push trays on a trolley so you can place your belongings into, should take a look at other airports to see how it’s done. What a dirty place to depart from, needs a complete revamp starting from the outside in. Why don’t they use the car parking charging money to pay for some of this and the high profits made by the outlets within the airport. The Northern Ireland government (yes I do know they have been paid for three years for doing nothing) should hang their heads in shame as with airport management.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Horrendous prices"

Not Verified | My main problem is the cost of meals and beverages, two pints £11.45. Burger with chips £16.49. Small bottle coke from a machine £2.50. Horrendous prices. Best to go for the meal deals £3.99 sandwich, drink and crisps.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Radical staff action needed"

Trip Verified | As a frequent user of the airport I’ve been pleased with the improvements in security arrangements in recent months. But now they’re back. While the physical layout is better, the absence of staff and their apparently poor level of training / experience is leading to long delays. For a 10.30 flight the number of passengers is low so long waits and very slow processing through just one security line in addition to the priority line is inexcusable. What on earth is wrong here that does not seem to affect any other UK airport? Radical staff action needed.
Date VisitDecember 2019