Barcelona Airport

"worst airport to do transit"

Trip Verified | The worst airport to do transit. Both going and returning through Barcelona international flights planes do not get pull up into a gate. Both flights stopped at tarmac and had to wait for bus to pick you up to the terminal. Although you are not going to Spain, international transfers require you to get your passport stamp by Spain's immigration. That's not a problem, the problem is only one ticket machine, one x-ray machine and one immigration office. So the line can get really long just to go through these processes. Please do not do international transfer in BCN. You may run into missing your flight.

"staff extremely rude"

Trip Verified | Staff is extremely rude and not helpful. My friend’s suitcase was lost and no one seems to care or try to help. No directions and no help whatsoever. Only yelling in Spanish. That all what we experienced. Service personnel of the international airport does not speak English. The worst experience of all my travels.
Date VisitMay 2019

"completely unnecessary back-and-forth maze"

Not Verified | In the arrivals terminal we had to line up for immigration in the non-EU line. There weren't that many people but it moved at a snail's pace with only two staff working. I had to go out of the line to use the bathroom, and when I returned to join my partner near the back of the line (maybe two people from the back) I ducked under the barrier to avoid having to snake my way through about 50 metres of empty queue lanes. A staff member at the queue entry yelled out to me to stop. I assumed he thought I was trying to cut the queue so I gestured to my partner at the back of the line by way of explanation. He continued to yell out at me across the hall in Spanish and made me come back out under the barrier, walk about 15 metres to the "official" queue entry, and snake back-and-forth along the 50 metres to rejoin the queue. He snarled at me and berated me in Spanish to "have respect". As I walked my 50-metre walk of shame he stood there shaking his head at me as though I had just spat on his mother's grave. I would not duck under a barrier if it was dangerous, caused harm to anyone nearby, or cut in front of other people. However, in this case it seemed perfectly reasonable to me, seeing as the alternative was to walk 50 metres through a completely unnecessary back-and-forth maze to end up 2 metres from where I'd started. In many other airports I've been to, the staff will adjust the ropes to accommodate for the queue size, actually making it easier for people to line up. At the very least they won't publicly humiliate you for taking the common-sense approach like I did. I am concerned about how they'd treat the elderly or anyone with mobility issues under the same circumstances.

"Absolutely awful place"

Not Verified | Absolutely awful place. Having traveled on business and socially all over the world today is my first time here. In terminal 2c people are herded like cattle there is no space and no facilities. The food and drink available consist of a couple of vending machines and there are queues for the toilets. It's a bit like coming out of a football match. If you do have to come here stay in town for as long as possible.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Very clean and organized"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Very big airport. Ground staff are great, very clear english and signs everywhere. Shopping area just amazing. A bit crowded when it comes to security check. Very clean and organized. I don't remember much about the internet because I was busy shopping and running to my gate
Date VisitNovember 2018

"so poorly designed"

Trip Verified | Barcelona Airport terminal 1 is poorly designed, we checked in at gate E which was upstairs but the only things here are Burger King and two duty free shops, everything else (including smoking area and all the shops) were downstairs and there is no access there stupidly enough. The airport is boring and sitting here for two hours is quite brain numbing. If you fly from gates A-C then it’s fine. It’s just annoying how an airport can be so poorly designed. In terminal 1 for passengers boarding through gates D and E there is a complete lack of signage, meaning you never get to visit duty free and are stuck in a holding area with minimal facilities. It makes no sense whatsoever to prevent passengers from moving around the airport, you’re preventing us all from spending money in your duty free. I’ve never encountered this in any other airport, and I hope Barcelona take note and readjust the airport accordingly.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Worst airport there is"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Worst airport there is! Throughout staff are impolite, unhelpful and just very unpleasant! They are unable to speak any other languages than their own which is very surprising considering they are working in a very international environment. They are super unhelpful and would rather just sit and have a siesta all day. The attitude they have is by far the worst I've ever encountered, this is from the very first step you set foot at the check in desk throughout security and up to the gate check in desk. On top of it it is a dirty airport, but that I’m sure goes well in hand to the El prat spirit! If I could put a 0 on everything I would!
Date VisitApril 2019

"zero semblance of urgency or concern"

Trip Verified | I traveled with my family, five of us total in our party, on Mar 13, 2019. We traveled from Casablanca to San Francisco, with what was supposed to be a 2.75 hour layover in Barcelona. The 2 airline carriers involved are not partners, so we understood that we would need to clear customs, claim our bags, and then re-check them and obtain boarding passes with the 2nd carrier. This seemed realistic based on our very frequent international travel and experience and other airports. But it was an impossible proposition in Barcelona - 4 passport agents processed a line of hundreds of people, many of whom were also panicked about missing flights. It was obvious from the demeanor of the passport control agents and the employees managing the line that this was a typical day. The fact that we had a connection made no difference - showing our e-tickets and our boarding time of our next flight made no difference - they just didn't care. There was zero semblance of urgency or concern. We ended up spending 3 days unexpectedly in Barcelona, which is a significant expense when a family of 5 is involved - I filed a report with the airport Police, since I had some time on my hands. I was told that they oversee passport control. When I explained to them what happened, they said that they were understaffed and that the situation was 'out of their control' - when there is no accountability and when nobody measures success, this is the result. On a separate note, when we departed Barcelona 3 days later, we were able to look down on some great shops in in the terminal - but we couldn't access them. We had only duty free shops and one magazine shop which was a bummer, especially when you can look down on so many great shops but can't access them.

"Absolutely horrible"

Not Verified | Absolutely horrible. I would avoid this airport at any cost. Customs took 3 hours. Staff are rude and did not accommodate connecting flight issues. Area was so hot that people were getting irritated. Unless you have to come to Barcelona - don't. They do not deserve your tourism dollars. Poor on you Barcelona! Never again.

"so poorly designed"

Trip Verified | Barcelona Airport terminal 1 is poorly designed, we checked in at gate D which was upstairs but the only things here are Burger King and two duty free shops, everything else (including smoking area and all the shops) were downstairs and there is no access there stupidly enough. The staff were ok but the airport is boring and sitting here for two hours is quite brain numbing. If you fly from gates A-C then it’s fine. It’s just annoying how an airport can be so poorly designed.