Barcelona Airport

"There are no signs"

Not Verified | Our flight was out of Terminal 1. What no one tells you is that if you go through passport control and are leaving out of Gates D or E, you cannot access the huge shopping mall and restaurants on level 1, which you can see from level 2, once you go through passport control. No one tells you this at any point check in. There are no signs. Once you are trapped in area D or E past passport control you can only buy limited, and very bad and overpriced food, at a couple of cafes. We wanted out but we were not permitted to leave and go through security again. Also, Level airline sucks, they lined us up like cattle for no earthly reason an hour before our flight was to leave. And pestered for passports while we were in the line, and made us show them a second time before boarding.
Date VisitJune 2019

"should be ashamed of this airport"

Not Verified | Barcelona airport terminal 2, when we arrived my new passport would not work even though it had a couple of hours earlier at Manchester, so had to go to the border guard who was very nice and said there was nothing wrong and to have a nice stay. Got to baggage reclaim and had to wait about 15-20 minutes for suitcase, so not bad at all. On return things weren't as good, checked in without any problems, security was fine then the dreaded passport control as my passport hadn't worked on arrival I decided to go straight to the border desk only to be told to use the egate after telling the most obnoxious guard that my passport did not work. He started asking why did a new passport not work, what was I doing in Spain, after telling him I had been on my holidays he started screaming at me to switch off my phone when I was trying to show him my boarding card, his superior came over took my passport off him and handed it to me saying have a nice flight. I asked if I can complain to which he replied it's best not to as I could be banned from entering Spain again. The part of the terminal where non schengen flights arrive and depart is disgrusting, hardly any shops or restaurants, toilets were filthy, windows were filthy, the owners of BCN should be ashamed of this airport with it's arrogant obnoxious staff and their dirty disguting terminal. I have given terminal cleanliness, food & beverages, airport shopping, airport staff 1 star because I cannot give it a zero.
Date VisitMay 2019

"had no opportunity to go to any shops or restaurants"

Not Verified | We arrived at the airport early and checked in quickly. We then went through security and were told to go to passport control. We are flying Qatar so we were pointed to the gate, straight out of passport control. We had no opportunity to go to any shops or restaurants which we could see on the lower level. We were told that we could not go down to that level with all the facilities. At the gate we have one small duty free shop and one small cafe. We were intending to have dinner here but now can’t. I also wanted to get something from the pharmacy but that is impossible too. We now have a 2.5 hour wait at the gate! I have never been in an international airport where you couldn’t access the shops and restaurants after passport control!
Date VisitMay 2019

"worst airport to do transit"

Trip Verified | The worst airport to do transit. Both going and returning through Barcelona international flights planes do not get pull up into a gate. Both flights stopped at tarmac and had to wait for bus to pick you up to the terminal. Although you are not going to Spain, international transfers require you to get your passport stamp by Spain's immigration. That's not a problem, the problem is only one ticket machine, one x-ray machine and one immigration office. So the line can get really long just to go through these processes. Please do not do international transfer in BCN. You may run into missing your flight.

"staff extremely rude"

Trip Verified | Staff is extremely rude and not helpful. My friend’s suitcase was lost and no one seems to care or try to help. No directions and no help whatsoever. Only yelling in Spanish. That all what we experienced. Service personnel of the international airport does not speak English. The worst experience of all my travels.
Date VisitMay 2019

"completely unnecessary back-and-forth maze"

Not Verified | In the arrivals terminal we had to line up for immigration in the non-EU line. There weren't that many people but it moved at a snail's pace with only two staff working. I had to go out of the line to use the bathroom, and when I returned to join my partner near the back of the line (maybe two people from the back) I ducked under the barrier to avoid having to snake my way through about 50 metres of empty queue lanes. A staff member at the queue entry yelled out to me to stop. I assumed he thought I was trying to cut the queue so I gestured to my partner at the back of the line by way of explanation. He continued to yell out at me across the hall in Spanish and made me come back out under the barrier, walk about 15 metres to the "official" queue entry, and snake back-and-forth along the 50 metres to rejoin the queue. He snarled at me and berated me in Spanish to "have respect". As I walked my 50-metre walk of shame he stood there shaking his head at me as though I had just spat on his mother's grave. I would not duck under a barrier if it was dangerous, caused harm to anyone nearby, or cut in front of other people. However, in this case it seemed perfectly reasonable to me, seeing as the alternative was to walk 50 metres through a completely unnecessary back-and-forth maze to end up 2 metres from where I'd started. In many other airports I've been to, the staff will adjust the ropes to accommodate for the queue size, actually making it easier for people to line up. At the very least they won't publicly humiliate you for taking the common-sense approach like I did. I am concerned about how they'd treat the elderly or anyone with mobility issues under the same circumstances.

"Absolutely awful place"

Not Verified | Absolutely awful place. Having traveled on business and socially all over the world today is my first time here. In terminal 2c people are herded like cattle there is no space and no facilities. The food and drink available consist of a couple of vending machines and there are queues for the toilets. It's a bit like coming out of a football match. If you do have to come here stay in town for as long as possible.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Very clean and organized"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Very big airport. Ground staff are great, very clear english and signs everywhere. Shopping area just amazing. A bit crowded when it comes to security check. Very clean and organized. I don't remember much about the internet because I was busy shopping and running to my gate
Date VisitNovember 2018

"so poorly designed"

Trip Verified | Barcelona Airport terminal 1 is poorly designed, we checked in at gate E which was upstairs but the only things here are Burger King and two duty free shops, everything else (including smoking area and all the shops) were downstairs and there is no access there stupidly enough. The airport is boring and sitting here for two hours is quite brain numbing. If you fly from gates A-C then it’s fine. It’s just annoying how an airport can be so poorly designed. In terminal 1 for passengers boarding through gates D and E there is a complete lack of signage, meaning you never get to visit duty free and are stuck in a holding area with minimal facilities. It makes no sense whatsoever to prevent passengers from moving around the airport, you’re preventing us all from spending money in your duty free. I’ve never encountered this in any other airport, and I hope Barcelona take note and readjust the airport accordingly.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Worst airport there is"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Worst airport there is! Throughout staff are impolite, unhelpful and just very unpleasant! They are unable to speak any other languages than their own which is very surprising considering they are working in a very international environment. They are super unhelpful and would rather just sit and have a siesta all day. The attitude they have is by far the worst I've ever encountered, this is from the very first step you set foot at the check in desk throughout security and up to the gate check in desk. On top of it it is a dirty airport, but that I’m sure goes well in hand to the El prat spirit! If I could put a 0 on everything I would!
Date VisitApril 2019