Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

"security lines are astonishingly inefficient"

Trip Verified | The busiest airport in the world could sure stand to get its act together. To its credit, the signage to access the terminals from the highways and to leave the airport were, in my opinion, ample. The majority of personnel we met in that airport, even security, were polite and professional - the only reason I'm not giving this airport a completely flunking score. That includes personnel for both Delta and Frontier Airlines. The tram connecting the terminals is clean and wonderfully efficient. Some of the Delta SkyMiles lounges are national-class, even world-class. That's where my compliments end. Now here's the bad stuff: The airport is predominantly dirty (not as dirty as Denver or Seattle, but still pretty bad). There are few places to grab a bite to eat or something to drink pre-security. The baggage and ticket counters are cramped and narrow, unbecoming of the world's busiest airport. Most departure gates are also cramped and narrow, with little seating, also unbecoming of the world's busiest airport. The security lines are astonishingly inefficient, even by US large airport standards; using CLEAR and Pre-Check in tandem should take five minutes, even on a busy holiday or weekend - not 25+ minutes like it did. If you don't have an expedited security clearance like CLEAR or Pre-Check and have to wait in the normal line, 90+ minutes to get through security on the busiest of days isn't unheard of. Again, to security's credit, the TSA officers I met were nice enough, but there clearly aren't enough TSA officers staffed at ATL. And, to the credit of the thousands and thousands of passengers being herded like cattle, people behaved relatively orderly and politely. But thousands and thousands of passengers hourly shouldn't be beholden to the whims of government incompetence - which, like I've said, is unbecoming of the world's busiest airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2022

"why do they provide lousy service to their guests on later flights?"

Trip Verified | In coming home from visiting Colorado Springs, I arrived at Atlanta airport around 1.40am and the train that you take at the gates to get to baggage claim and ground transportation was operating on a “limited schedule.” Meaning you could wait to see when and if it would come to pick you up or walk. I was exhausted, like everyone else but we all chose to walk. Based on my activity tracker, we walked about a mile! This is not the first time this happened arriving in Atlanta late. If planes are still landing at 1.50am, why is the train not operating on the normal schedule? Atlanta airport boasts beefing the busiest and most efficient airport, why do they provide lousy service to their guests on later flights? So beware of the long walk if you arrive past their normal train running schedule!!
Date VisitSeptember 2022

"yelled at by a cleaning person"

Not Verified | My wife and I found the cleaning staff, in particular late night arrival and early morning departure, were very rude and inpatient. We were yelled at on two occasions by the staff cleaning the floors near the plane train area because we were not directed by signs or staff which side of the cones we should be standing while waiting for the train. Again today, as I was arriving for an early morning flight, I was again yelled at by a cleaning person for being on the wrong side of her cones. There were no signs or persons available to direct foot traffic as to where to walk or not walk, just a red tape down the middle of the isle. Not a very good impression to greet guests arriving to such a busy airport.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"There’s no customer service anymore"

Not Verified | I grew up with the Atlanta airport beginning and transforming. However, I am so disappointed at what it has become. The bathrooms are too small and dirty, the electrical outlets for phone charging do not work, and the attendants belong in another setting. There’s no customer service anymore. I don’t care what the pandemic has brought to America, hire people who still have integrity to get the job done
Date VisitAugust 2022

"continually inept at their job"

Not Verified | On August 20, I arrived from CDG to Atlanta on Delta 8606 Terminal 1 at 5.05 having a correspondence on Delta flight 1249 at 7.55pm to Tampa. The walk from Terminal 1 at one end of the airport to Gate A02 at the other en of the airport was for me a nightmare. No cart to be found, a 20 minute walk with luggage, no other form of transportation, barely a few escalators, up and down, up again and down again to get to a train, from the train another walk. I am 75 years of age and very fit yet I was thoroughly exhausted. I had already been through 2 customs when I arrived at the one in Atlanta to board my final flight, I had with me a few purchases bought at the Duty free airport in Paris. I had a mid size bottle of liquor which the custom agent insisted had to be put in my suitcase and my suitcase checked since apparently the duty free had forgotten to wrap it in a special plastic wrapper. Even though I had a receipt form the Duty free and a gift bag, the agent in no way educated enough to comprehend the difference, sent me back to the delta counter to open my suitcase, pack the bottle and register the suitcase. Thankfully I was lucky enough to find a gentleman at the Delta check-in who assisted me and was very kind. Admittedly from a few comments heard, I was not the first victim of the lack of understanding by the customs agents. One might say they are applying the rules, however is it applying the rules or is it enforcing the little power they have to unnecessarily harass travelers - it is my understanding that they are continually inept at their job and take extreme pleasure in adding unpleasant and totally unnecessary steps to an already tired passenger? So between this and the lack of assistance for passengers to get from one point to the other in an immense airport, I will avoid that airport at all costs.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"distressed by many things at the airport"

Trip Verified | I am distressed by many things at the airport today. The Clear and Pre Check lines are about a 30 min delay. It is hard to justify paying for these services if the line is so long. When I see supervisors at the elevated podium, I wonder why they cannot jump in to help out. When I worked, even as a manager, if we were busy I stepped in to help out. Many standing around, few working. Not all screening machines/lines are open. The food service lines are also really long. 20 min to get a cup of coffee? Why not add automated lines that deliver regular coffee to the customer? 20 min to order and deliver food to me at lunch. Again, offer more grab and go if you lack staff. The Saladworks stand is closed, as usual. One employee could sell the grab/go salads and ring up! Automate the purchase of salads like La Madeline has done. Many food vendors are still not open. Please find a way to sell pre boxed salads and sandwiches if workers are in short supply. I am happy to eat a cold salad or sandwich, hummus plate etc. Restrooms are dirty. Lots of cleaning people with their carts standing around, but they seem to be busy looking at their phones, or visiting with each other, and not cleaning. Loud music in food court at Concourse C is ridiculous. It is so loud that no one can talk, or answer phone calls from customers. Turn it down. Easy fix!
Date VisitAugust 2022

"The airport seems to having taken a downhill turn"

Trip Verified | The airport seems to having taken a downhill turn as it relates to cleanliness and customer service. I feel like I’m encroaching upon peoples personal homes and spaces as I attempt to make purchases from concourse eateries (i.e. Crepes, Caribou, and Boars Head) all on concourse A. Staff seem to be plentiful but the customer service is often rude, unprofessional, and vulgar). At crepes while waiting to get my order the young lady was having a personal conversation on her phone about a side job making food. She used the “n” word often and several other vulgar words. All while waiting on me. The young ladies at Boars Head were nice but very immature. I paid $4 for a drink I ended up tossing in the trash. Speaking of trash the concourse seating area is trashy and unkept. I see cleaning carts with staff but are sitting, congregating, and on their phones. I feel like I’m in someone’s backyard uninvited. At Caribou staff appear to be disgruntled and for $6 a pop you don’t expect for them to be out of whipped cream since all pictures are featured with WC. Unfortunately, the entertainment is as trashy as the concourse. ReachTv is playing on all TVs. The profanity is used throughout the Espinosa of “magherita”. Children and adults are throughout the concourse being force to hear/see this. Surprised me that this is an international airport. If I had another choice I would take it for future travel.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"Everyone here is so rude"

Not Verified | Everyone here is so rude. You think with it being the busiest airport in the world they would be welcoming or helpful. Absolutely not. Everyone here rolls their eyes, gives attitude and seems to hate their job. I don’t care what time it is, you chose to do this job. I hate coming to this airport. It is not efficient at all like the mayor voice over states. It’s a joke. I hate coming here and avoid it amy time I can.
Date VisitJune 2022

"The airport is filthy"

Trip Verified | The airport is filthy. Concourse A, food seating area had so much food under the tables and the tiles had layers of grime on them. Tables had not been wiped off, gross. Concourse D gates waiting area had crusted food on the seats (old and new food); the floor did not look like it had been vacuumed in who knows when; the window and seal had dirt, food, grime splattered every where.
Date VisitJune 2022

"There is no welcoming in Atlanta Hartsfield Airport"

Not Verified | We arrived to Atlanta late because our Delta flight left Orlando late, causing us to miss our connection and having to wait another 5 hours for the next flight to Branson MO. On our return trip through Atlanta, traveling to Orlando, we were delayed by Delta again, waiting for a flight attendant. On both our delayed layovers we experienced extremely unpleasant attitudes by both airline personnel and employees of retail establishments. Any "Welcome to Atlanta" signs should be taken down and destroyed. There is no welcoming in Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. We will avoid this airport at all cost.
Date VisitMay 2022