Athens Airport

"have lack of staff"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | On the 14/08 a flight supposed to leave at 14:00 to Heraklion we got a delay of 2 hours seating inside the plane as the pilots informed us that the main cause of that was the reduced airport’s staff that could not service us. unbelievable on the middle of August such an international airport with the tourism to be on the top to have lack of staff.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"A continuously unpleasant experience at this airport"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | A continuously unpleasant experience at this airport. What is the purpose of going through security again while on a transit (all within Europe?), we almost missed our connection as we had 30 min security queue. A complete waste of resources, time and cause of unneeded stress to travelers. Will certainly try to avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"nowhere near enough seats for everyone"

Trip Verified | Flight was assigned to leave from Gate A18. We were early (our departure was delayed about an hour) and decided to sit and wait in the Gate A18 waiting area. But we were asked to leave and wait elsewhere while another flight boarded. And then the people from that flight were moved out if they weren't part of a given boarding group. So, the area outside Gate A18 was overflowing with people waiting for two flights, with nowhere near enough seats for everyone. What are gate waiting areas for? It seems the design/procedures at Athens airport need a significant upgrade. It was a mess of crammed together passengers with little information about what was going on for about two hours. Please either build a bigger terminal or figure out a better system for handling passengers with comfort and convenience. Thank you.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"Well organised airport"

Not Verified | Arrived at Athens Airport, followed the clear signs to the check in area. Proceeded to Passport Control and Security without any difficulty. Efficient and polite staff did the necessary checks. One of the few airports in the world where I'm addressed as Sir. Duty Free area is well stocked with the usual variety of shops and services. Great selections of authentic Greek products. Olive Oil, nuts, Greek Delights and a huge range of sweet pastries. Toilet areas were clean and well maintained by attendant. Proceeded to gate and started boarding without difficulty. Well organised airport. I have experienced far worse and some were in northern Europe..
Date VisitApril 2022

"No one will help or support you"

Not Verified | One of the worst airports I've ever come across! Please don't take connected flights from Athens. No one will help or support you. No proper signs or markings. Coming out of the bus, you get lost about what to do next if your flight is connecting and time is little then you mess up your journey. Before you head to the Gate A you got security man in cabin looking for your passport and boarding card at least he takes 5-10 minutes for per passenger. Then you need check your hand baggage the worst experience with the arrogant staff.
Date VisitMay 2022

"special services in Athens were appalling"

Trip Verified | Due to technical faults our plane to Hurghada was diverted to Athens for several hours. Unfortunately this caused several problems. The special services in Athens were appalling. They were extremely rude and condescending me and to another several passengers. I am a full time powerchair user and took my lightweight powerchair on vacation. When re loading I was treated very disrespectfully and shouted at, telling me to get out of the wheelchair and walk. When they loaded another passenger onto the ambulift they pointed at her and said, see she is more disabled. Extremely judgmental, discriminatory and impolite to myself and the other passengers. Other infirm passengers were also shouted at. I was separated from my carer when offloading plane and also reloading. When my powerchair was presented in Hurghada, the strap which holds the folding chair together was missing and the power arm of the chair was broken. The engineer in our resort managed to temporarily repair the powerchair and we purchased a belt to hold chair together for return travel. I have always been extremely satisfied with EasyJet and special services in various countries. I feel special services, especially, fell short on this particular flight. In addition, being given a delay meal credit my husband found the upstairs catering venues were abrupt and most wouldn’t accept the vouchers. My husband and carer had to carry the power chair batteries plus hand luggage around Athens airport for over 6 hours. I was dumped in an attendant airport chair at the departure gate, unable to self propel. etc. The whole experience has certainly affected my confidence in EasyJet and special services. Especially in Athens.

"Clean, efficient terminal"

Not Verified | Arrived at ATH after comfortable flight on Aegean from the monstrosity of Istanbul. Bused to terminal due to air bridge not being available due to late aircraft occupying stand. Not an issue as buses arrived quickly and we were in the terminal in no time. Clean, efficient terminal, Covid procedures observed. Within 10 minutes, luggage was on belt and undamaged. Good experience.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"without any passenger moving walkways"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Arriving from Larnaca on a delayed Aegean airlines flight (10/11/21) which parked away from passenger jet steps. No distances or anything, a simple check of our EU vaccination certificate and in you go into probably the only airport without any passenger moving walkways, walk a kilometer to collect your luggage. Arriving in Greece one might expect to listen to lovely Greek music, instead of heavy disco and screams.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"Is Athens a war zone now?"

(Portugal)

Not Verified | Aegean Airlines told me that a covid test was necessary to enter Greece, and that it should be presented on arrival. I was tested at home, and brought the negative result with me. After landing, passengers had to queue up and show their results to the military police! I showed my (negative) result to the soldier, who very aggressively told me to test again (he couldn’t understand English) in these covid testing stands they have. I tried to explain that I was already tested but he interrupted me and said “go!” Very aggressively. Is Athens a war zone now? Why do they have special police serving customers at a commercial airport?
Date VisitOctober 2021

"It definitely shows wear and tear"

Trip Verified | A moderately sized airport serving the capital of Greece. It's been around for a while so it's not a very modern one. It definitely shows wear and tear. Security checks are fast and efficient tho. Duty-free shopping is readily available, food courts less. Transportation to the city is done by metro or bus, in both cases it takes at least one hour. Taxi cost about 45 euro. The Lufthansa lounge I visited was small but offered delicious Greek mezze.
Date VisitOctober 2021