Addis Ababa Airport

"chaotic feel"

My first ever sight of Africa (en route to Lilongwe and then car to Zambia) love the chaotic feel and different cultures passing through and I like to chat with different races. One day I would like to spend time in Addis instead of being just in transit there. Ok its not perfect but hey life would be boring without a bit of hassle. My only gripe is the toilets not enough for the amount of people passing through. I will be there again in July en route to my wife in Zambia.

"reasonable airport facilities"

I flew from Juba to LHR via Addis Christmas 2014. Reasonable airport facilities food and drink expensive souvenirs more of a rip off than usual toilets cleanish in the international terminal. Crazy part I was not allowed to take my duty free bottle of spirits bought in the airport through security. I had to either put it in my backpack and check it in to hold baggage or abandon my booze at the gate. No warning of this crazy rule at either duty free shops or at the security gate. Only airport more chaotic in the region is Juba. Not my choice of route and I only use it because it is my employers decision. Ethiopian airport staff very friendly and really do try to assist. Best part of the Addis / Heathrow flight is the fairly new Boeing Dreamliners used on that route.

"poor facilities"

A very disappointing end to a great holiday in Ethiopia. The airport is reasonably comfortable but poor facilities after check-in and everything is unbelievably expensive by any standards not just Ethiopian. Only thing reasonably priced to spend leftover money on is a coke or water for $1 otherwise forget it even a tiny fridge magnet goes for $12! Airport staff either unbelievably stupid or just plain annoying. Told me I couldn't go through security with a small bottle of water that I just bought in the duty free shop. So basically they are saying there are lots of duty free goods to buy but when you go through to board your flight they will be taken off you because they are bot permitted through security absolutely brilliant! I was forced to drink the water before going through then when boarding my flight back to London saw that the guy boarding in front of me had a half full bottle of coke in his backpack pocket. So what on earth was that all about? An airport that cannot possibly be recommended.

"very chaotic and crowded"

This is a very chaotic and crowded airport. There are plenty of monitors to show destination gates and departures. Staff are very friendly but get overwhelmed because of a lack of information. They do their best. Our flight to EBB was cancelled and instead we were all put on a flight to NBO with a stop in EBB. No announcement was made re flight cancellation. Having status (Star Alliance Gold or Silver) will help gain access to the lounges and eliminate long lines at security. The public toilets are filthy with some passengers washing their feet in the sinks. Even the toilets in the lounges leave much to be desired with water all over the floor. There is Ebola screening for all arriving passengers. Baggage handling was excellent. We checked bags against the advice of friends. Our baggage arrived at our destinations with no problems at all.

"bad airport layout"

A bad airport layout. Much to many flights/people for the size of the airport. check in slow but ok. Very long queues at security check. Bad facilities not enough toilets (just 1 toilet for 8 boarding gates)!

"staff very friendly"

Unfortunately a very chaotic and less organized airport. No scanners no displays at the gates less staff who can help toilets dirty. Also luggage got lost. Only manual unloading sorting and loading. So my luggage arrived at Dubai instead of Frankfurt! Safety is minimum. Staff very friendly. They do their best! Less announcements lots of mistakes at the flight lists (flights missing etc.).

"not a nice airport"

(Sweden)

Not a nice airport. Confusing old dirty. And the tax-free shops don't accept all credit cards or currencies. Only dollars when I asked around. Not even local currency? Since you are not supposed to take Birr outside the country it would have been great to be able to use it at the airport. Toilets seems to be non-existent in the transfer hall. Had to go back into main hall for a visit. Queuing for the check-in was chaos. People were continuously jumping the line and there was nobody in charge.

"awful and confusing airport"

Awful and confusing airport but better than others in East Africa. There are two terminals and the airport authority frequently changes which departures leave from which terminal. It is not easy to get from one terminal to another - an infrequent shuttle bus is provided for this purpose. Entering Terminal 1 from Terminal 2 requires dragging your carry-on bags up a flight of stairs (no elevator provided) and the departure lounges and business class lounge in this terminal are uncomfortable even if you can find a seat. Terminal 2 is only slightly better - but the bottleneck through security is ridiculously inefficient - full of pushing and shoving and cutting in line. The departure gates in Terminal 2 are slightly better than in Terminal 1 as is the business class lounge. That being said the food at both lounges is terrible and the seating uncomfortable. Bathrooms in both business class lounges feature doors that do not close cleaning buckets left inside and unsanitary conditions.

"dirty and poorly organized"

(Israel)

Still the same dirty and poorly organized airport as I remember it was some years ago during my first visit. Duty free stores as much as you want but do not wake up some of the ladies working there when you fly in early in the morning and payment by credit card is a no go as 7% surcharge added to your bill. Nearly no food outlets and the few available do not look very inspiring . Long cues for security check but that I can still accept no food or drink even not water to be bought after passing security. Still using the colored sticker system that sometimes does not even seems to be of any use. If it was not for Ethiopian airlines giving your great value and service for the price they charge I would not use this airport or at least avoid it.

"worst airport I have encountered"

(South Africa)

By far the worst airport I have encountered. There is one working toilet in-transit. The shops look like they have been there since 1930. Even during the day the airport is dark and dusty. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The food and beverages in the shops looks unappetising. With so many people going through this airport one would expect more. Heavy security but that one can tolerate considering it is for everyone's benefit.