Abu Dhabi Airport

"Hot and humid. Overcrowded"

Trip Verified | Hot and humid. Overcrowded. Staff have no idea how to deal with travelers. Worst of all, and most troubling, security is incomplete. I witnessed the following: Passengers setting off the metal detector but not being searched. Not passing bags through the x-ray machine. When I tried to raise concerns with the staff I was abruptly told to move on. Indeed I set off the metal detector but no one searched me. How is this level of incompetence allowed by IATA? Will not use this hub again.
Date VisitMay 2018

"main issue is the humidity"

Trip Verified | So the main issue with Abu Dhabi Airport is the humidity. It's such a basic thing you the airport designers would get it right, but they haven't. The actual air temperature is fine, but it's like walking through a very cold soupy swamp. They do have functioning air conditioning units, but they seem to be reserved for the airline lounges (where I'm writing this review from). Other than that, there's very little shopping or food available near the gates themselves which is a pain, and the wifi in the main airport area is almost unusable.
Date VisitMay 2018

"not very friendly but helpful"

Trip Verified | Sufficient restaurant, lounges, prayer halls, clean rest rooms and good directions. Airport staff not very friendly but helpful. Overall good airport for transit [short period]. WiFi available free and thats a good additional feature. Good connectivity at central parts of airport only.

"Horrible, cramped facility"

Trip Verified | After using Doha and Dubai airports in the region I had hoped Abu Dhabi might at least come close. What a joke. Horrible, cramped facility with incredible delays caused by security checks for arriving transit passengers. Little available seating and laughable duty free prices. Will not use Abu Dhabi again, but not only because of the airport - Etihad also is very poor.

"Worst transit airport"

Trip Verified | Worst transit airport I have ever been to, unorganised and unprofessional check for transit flight is absolutely chaos where they can't handle even more than one flight at a time, I spent more than an hour in the que for baggage check where I only had 1.45 hrs for the transit flight and all together there is a long walk to the gates, I really panicked because I thought I am going to miss the connection flight. It was absolutely nightmare, there was another baggage check just before board, where they force you to send your hand baggage through luggage even if it is legally allowed size, where the same flight allowed it first place.

"I was left in shock"

(Serbia)

Not Verified | Knowing that this is one of the main transit hubs I had really high expectations but I was left in shock how dated this airport actually is. I had a flight transfer here and the first thing you have to go through is a security check which is then repeated at the gate meaning that if your layover is short you could miss a flight. The airport corridors and shops are narrow and under huge pressure from millions of passengers. Absolutely the worst part are the toilet facilities which are extremely scarce and dirty. In general the facilities offered for passengers in transit are subpar. If you wish to sit down you have to enter the gate zone as outside of it there are only a few chairs available in the corridors. The staff I came in contact with were really nice.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Incredibly rude staff"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | One of the worst airports I’ve ever seen. Incredibly rude staff, internet very difficult to join, no possibility to charge your phone, dirty toilets, insufficient customer service, very expensive etc.. Worst terminal signs ever plus you wait ages for information to be displayed.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"airport leaves a lot to be desired"

Not Verified | I like Etihad Airways and travel with them whenever I can. Abu Dhabi airport leaves a lot to be desired. The main problem for me is the toilets, they are by far the worst I have ever had the misfortune to use with filth and urine all over the floors. I have seen passengers urinate in the hand basins because the toilets are too small and busy.
Date VisitApril 2017

"needs better facilities"

Trip Verified | This airport needs better facilities than the current circumstances, international airport without better facilities to make passengers comfortable it doesn't correlate being a hub for five star airlines. I was surprised that until now they still transfer passengers from airplane to coaches. It's really hard to travellers with children and elderly.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Very unprofessional"

Not Verified | Very unhelpful. It was 2 am and one of my kids was asleep and they kicked us out of the seating area, lined everyone up to check their tickets. We sat my son in the next seating area over. My husband lined up and texted me when he got to the front of the line. The man checking tickets saw me struggling with my sleeping child and had me sit him in the original seating area apologizing saying people with kids don’t have to wait in line. However he did nothing to warn the other parents. So we went down the line telling all the parents ourselves. The ticket man also said to sit near the entrance as they would announce people with kids to board. When the time came they boarded wheelchair users and let economy riders on at the same time as business class (who were very upset). I confronted a stewardess asking why they haven’t announced business class or people with kids. She just said your in the kids line, look their are lots of you. I wasn’t in a line really I was standing with business class and a few people with kids. I saw another attendant and asked him. He suggested we all sit down. I got upset and said so you want to board everyone else first and then let people with kids on last, that’s useless. He got angry and asked me what do I want. He told me to stand where I was and enter with business class. The whole thing was strange. I have never experienced anything like this at an airport. There are basic standards but no one seems to know what they are. Very unprofessional.
Date VisitJanuary 2018