Viva Air

"cI would not recommend it"

Trip Verified | Cusco to Lima. Viva Air are supposed to be the most affordable airline but charge you for absolutely everything. We didn’t check in online 24hrs before (we don’t have data and we’re on an overnight bus) so had to pay 177 Soles ($80AUD) just to check in... I have never heard of this before. They purposely don’t seat you with your companions and then say if you’d like to change seat to be with your loved ones you can do so for an extra cost. I had a spare seat next to me and asked if my boyfriend could sit with me and he said only for extra cost... again I have never ever been on an airline that does such a thing. We weren’t given a complimentary beverage, we needed to pay for any refreshment. The ground staff were also very rude and unhelpful. This airline sucks and I would not recommend it.
RouteCusco to Lima

"it wasn't worth it"

Not Verified | Got the cheapest tickets with Viva Air. I knew I chose Economy but for all the hassle it wasn't worth it. Very Long Queues, very unhelpful staff on the check in area. Had to pay loads of money just to seat near the 3 children travelling with me, then an even bigger amount to have the boarding pass re-printed (as my copy wasn't from a laser printer!!). Even though I had downloaded the tickets to my phone (as per their web-site), apparently they don't run that service!! All and all was just as expensive or more than any other bigger airline company.
RouteBogota to Pereira
Date FlownDecember 2019

"only 20kg checked luggage"

Trip Verified | Lima to Bogotá. The worst airline and entirely rip off. They allow only 20kg checked luggage. This is the most stressful and inconvenient airline we have discovered. It’s all about money grabbing airline. They do not think about travellers but just charging money for every single opportunity.
RouteLima to Bogotá
Date FlownMarch 2020

"worst airline I’ve ever flown"

Trip Verified | Lima to Cuzco. This is the worst airline I’ve ever flown. It’s almost like they try to be the worst. They charged us 130 Soles just to check infor the flight, which was the cost of the flight itself. The customer service is abysmal, the guy at the counter walked away with our change, another clerk had to call him to get him to come back. I’m pretty sure he was just hoping we’d leave and he’d keep the change. Their business model is offer cheap flights then scam you for all you’re worth.
RouteLima to Cuzco
Date FlownMarch 2020

"families are not sat together"

Not Verified | Santa Marta to Medellin. How is it possible that families are not sat together. Empty airplane and they only have emergency seats to sit us together for an extra charge. So rude and want to charge for everything.
RouteSanta Marta to Medellin
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"This is the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Bogotá to Santa Marta. This is the worst airline I have ever flown, their customer service is so poor and bad I have not words. They will charge even for a check in, their web site is trash, couldn’t use the check in and they blame me for it. They broke one of my suitcases and they said they are not responsible for any damage. I am so upset.
RouteBogotá to Santa Marta
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"never book with them again"

Not Verified | Lima to Talara. Easy to book the ticket online and cheap but you get what you paid for. They charge a lot for checked baggage which made the final cost of the flight close to it's competition. Customer service is clueless and needs to maybe smile more. Flight ended up being cancelled. Peruvians sprinted to the check in line and basically had a riot. Staff couldn't communicate a thing which definitely would help. I kept getting bump back in line even though I went to the counter shortly after the cancellation. People were insane. No control from ur staff just useless people. There was no direction .. no signs defining lines. People catching different flights would come to the line up and stand their thinking it was their flight .. we were the ones telling them what line up/counter they should go to. Why isn't Viva Air staff explaining anything to anyone. After a 5 hour wait in a line of crazy people our flight was rescheduled to the following day. The new flight was terrible, people threw up including myself and I fly often with no issues. We've booked 3 more flights while in Peru.. Not one is with Viva Air. We will never book with them again.
RouteLima to Talara

"read their website"

Not Verified | Miami to Medellin. Viva air is a low cost airline. You have to read their website. Their website states very clearly the additional fees you can encounter. You can only take 1 free bag with specific measurements and weight 10kg. If you go over in measurement or weight, they charge a fee. Their carry on is not free and the checked is not free either. They let you change seats free, if there is empty seats. My total flight including 1 checked bag for each flight was 413$ for two people. My husband and I shared a 20kg checked bag. We took our backpacks for dirty clothes and for additional last minute travel purchases. I had compared my airline prices AA = 373$ per person Avianca =414$ per person However, I am leaving a 3 star because our flight back to Miami from Medellin was a bit stressful the check in process was very disorganized and the lady gave us separate seats. But I was able to switch seats when we boarded the flight.
RouteMiami to Medellin
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"not sent a reminder email"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Santa Marta to Medellin. At the bottom of several pages of small print on e-ticket, Viva Air states ‘not submitting a printed boarding pass at the airport for domestic flights will incur a charge of $33.000.‘ Viva Air does not sent out a reminder email before travel. I assumed I could check in at the airport and was charged $65.000 (rather than $65). This strikes me as a cowboy practice.
RouteSanta Marta to Medellin
Date FlownFebruary 2020

" worst airline I have ever flown"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Juliaca to Lima. The worst airline I have ever flown with! Terrible service, they try to charge every possible penny out of their clients. I have travelled with my backpack all over the world and never had any problems, not even with low cost such as RyanAir. I had to pay US$36 to travel using the same backpack I have been using for years, and that was not even for shipping but for carrying it the overhead compartment. Such a rip off! The flight was late, the plane was dirty, I don't recommend them for anybody and I for sure will never give them another penny!
RouteJuliaca to Lima