Viva Air

"$170 CAD for carry-on luggage"

Not Verified | Worst Airline Ever! I will never fly with this airline again. I checked in online where it said I was allowed a carry-on and personal item. When I get to the gate they charged us $170 CAD per person for carry-on luggage! I was told if I did not pay I would not get on the flight. Didn't want to get stuck in Medellin! Paid almost as much for carry-ons as I did for the flight.
RouteMedellin to Miami
Date FlownNovember 2022

"common sense and sensitivity really says a lot about a company"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience, they gave my husband, my 13 yr old daughter and I separate seats, they had no option to confirm or buy seats online, only at the airport and after we checked bags and enter checkpoint noticed they had given us separate seats. I spoke to a flight attendant and they insisted we had to pay extra for seats like if that option was even available to start with, I asked to be seated just with my daughter and they say no, after we landed I saw the plane had 12 consecutive seats empty all the flight and they were not even courteous enough to offer from the beginning before even taking off from the airport. On my connecting flight I notice almost the entire plane was on the same situation, you guys don’t realize that you would have gotten more money even on the catering service and people would buy food and drinks if you were to seat them together, I did not have a very pleasant experience in the country and this was just like the cherry on the ice cream. Customer service is important and common sense and sensitivity really says a lot about a company.
RouteCartagena to Medellin via Miami
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Worst company"

Trip Verified | Worst company. Never gonna take this company again, I should have look at the reviews before booking. Hate their service! The price can be good, but you’ll prefer any other companies, it’s a promise.
RouteCusco to Lima
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"nickeled and dimed in every possible way"

Not Verified | I can share a few cautionary anecdotes with you regarding Viva Air. It’s hard to understate the kindness, courtesy and helpfulness of every Colombian I’ve met in Medellin, Guatape and Santa Marta. That impression was tarnished when my husband and I presented our passports to the woman at the baggage drop desk. She told us that, contrary to the information I’d received from the platform on which I’d purchased our tickets, we were not checked in for our flight. However, the real problem was not that we’d arrived too late for our flight. The Viva representative informed us that she would not be able to allow us on the flight because we had arrived 13 minutes after the cut off time for check in. For check in?! Please note that this is a small airport where ordinarily, only 10 minutes are necessary to get from the entrance through security to the gate. But no matter how we pleaded our case, neither the woman behind the counter nor her bureaucratic martinet of a supervisor would budge. It was not merely that we were prevented from boarding our flight that we found upsetting; it was the way Viva’s staff treated us. At no moment did we receive a sympathetic word from anyone. When we tried to reschedule our flight, the supervisor coldly informed us that we’d have to fly out the following morning, then amended her statement a minute later. That flight was actually booked; maybe the next day. She was clearly anxious to dismiss us, impatient with our lack of fluency in Spanish. In addition to the chilly manners of its staff and its insistence on punctilious enforcement of its rules, Viva also qualifies as Colombia’s answer to the US’ Spirit Airlines. Prepare to be nickeled and dimed in every possible way. My husband has never had to pay extra for his very compact travel guitar on any of the many carriers he’s flown. Guess what. There’s a first time for everything. They were about to charge me for my yoga mat bag as well when out of shock, I dropped my water bottle and it broke spilling all over the floor. I didn’t plan it as a distraction— I really liked that water bottle, but it did save us another ridiculous fee.
RouteSanta Marta to Bogota
Date FlownAugust 2022

"they made me pay 120$ for one cart"

Trip Verified | I bought ticket through Orbits. Chose one that said carry on free and first checked bag free! At the airport they made me pay 120$ for one cart on and one checked in bag. Total lie!
RouteLima to Cusco
Date FlownJuly 2022

"This airline is worse than Spirit"

Trip Verified | This airline is worse than Spirit. When arrived to airport at Medellin to go to San Andres I am told my ticket was cancelled back in April but didn’t give me any reason. They said an email was sent to me but there was no refund on my account I didn’t get a call to make other arrangements. I got so upset because they are blaming me for this. I always purchase my tickets thru cheaptickets and never had a problem. The ticket still shows active at the cheaptickets website I can’t understand what happened. My flight was leaving at 11:13pm and instead they put me on another flight leaving at 1am in the morning. So I am waiting 6hrs to travel with a 5 year old and my husband. My two check in luggage were over the weight limit 8 pounds each and they still charged me $498 for the overages. They don’t deserve to be in business taking money from people.
RouteMedellin to San Andres
Date FlownJuly 2022

"customer service was terrible"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | The worst of services. Let's start by saying that the airline does not send email to check in. By not doing it before, at the airport they charge you extra for doing it. As a consequence, they do not assign you seats and make you wait for the whole plane to board to see if there are any available, and if there is not, they send you on another flight. The customer service was terrible, of all the employees who have only one of them gave us a good service. They do not know how to explain how their policy works and/or express themselves correctly. First and last time flying with this airline El peor de los servicios. Empecemos por decir que la aerolínea no envía email para hacer check in. Al no hacerse antes, en el aeropuerto te cobran adicional por hacerlo. Como consecuencia, no te asignan asientos y te hacen esperar que todo el avión aborde para ver si hay disponibles, y si no lo hay te mandan en otro vuelo. El servicio al cliente fue pésimo, de todos los empleados que tienen solo una de ellas nos prestó un buen servicio. No saben explicar cómo funciona su política y/o expresarse de forma correcta. Primera y última vez volando por esta aerolínea.
RouteBogotá to Cartagena
Date FlownJune 2022

"the last time I fly VivaAir"

Trip Verified | VIP Boarding is a scam, VIP Seats are a scam. Too many flight cancellations without warning. Every question I ask, the response is “I don’t know”. Uncomfortable seats. Always super late, and they lie about being on time. I will stick to US-based airlines from now on. This is the last time I fly VivaAir.
AircraftA320 Neo
RouteCancun to Las Vegas via Mexico City
Date FlownJune 2022

"never had to pay to check in"

(Portugal)

Not Verified | You have to pay for all in this company! First of all, you can't take cabin bags with unless you pay (but that I already knew before I bought it). Second, I tried to do the online check in the day before but the site wasn't working well (I had to change my birthday date because it was wrong and the button to change wasn't working), so I give up and decided to do the check in the airport. When I got there, they told me I had to pay 58,5 nuevo soles (more or less 15 euros or dollars) because I didn't do the online check in. Well, I've been traveling a lot in the last couple of years and I've known several airline companies, and I never had to pay to check in! Even more, I tried to explain the situation but it didn't help. I ask for the complaint book, which, once again, was not working well on the website, so they gave me a physical one. After I gave them the book, they answered right in the moment and said that they didn't seen in the system that I tried to do the check in (which I did!) and they even add that I bought the ticket through a travel agency (like if it was a problem). I'm very upset with this company and I don't advise anyone to fly with them!
RouteCuzco to Lima
Date FlownMay 2022

"don't choose Viva to fly"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Worst company ever, we booked a flight where the online check-in didn't worked. Charged us 15$ for every boarding pass when it was not our fault. Also, in the airport of Cusco they checked all the luggage which made all the persons to spent much more time than was expected on the check-in. Some of this persons needed to pay the express check-in line to avoid the cue and miss their flights. If possible don't choose Viva to fly.
RouteCusco to Lima