Virgin Australia

"Worst decision I have ever made"

Not Verified | Perth to Hamilton Island via Sydney. Worst business class I have ever flown on any airline. Advertise sleeper seats and you get an old aircraft with no entertainment and a seat that has a maximum 2 inch recline. Two of us flew from one side of Australia to the other at a cost of $7000. Food was bad but service was acceptable. They advertise you will fly in business class pods and this is the second time I have been caught. Never again. I was a Qantas regular but thought I would give Virgin a go. Worst decision I have ever made. My mate laughed at me when I said I was going Virgin business class. I’ll bet I never get a response from them.
RoutePerth to Hamilton Island via Sydney

"not a nice experience"

Trip Verified | This Morning I caught the 6am Virgin Canberra to Sydney flight and it was not a nice experience. Starting with check-in, the line was slow and long with no option to self-check-in. Eventually they called those who needed priority due to the flight departure time. They had also switched me out of my chosen seat and I no longer had a window seat as per my preference. From there it continued downhill. The flight attendant announcements were unable to be heard and in general not particularly friendly. The dash 8 seats were low with no neck/head support making them uncomfortable for the average 5’9” person. The worst most uncomfortable part of the entire flight was the aircon. In addition to the self control valves there was vents above every second row. Unfortunately this was above my row. It was set on high speed with a very cold air temp (maybe 15-18). This resulted in me shivering the whole way to Sydney and gave me the stiffest neck as it was blowing onto my neck, shoulder and face. My lips were completely dry and sore when we arrived. Lastly, The service was basic which was expected but I couldn’t even enjoy the tea as it was way too strong. This was the worst I’ve ever felt on a flight. Luckily it was short but I will try avoid taking this service again.
AircraftDash8
RouteCanberra to Sydney

"all in all, it was ok"

Trip Verified | Canberra to Melbourne. Check-in and bag drop was efficient, nice to actually deal with a person. Boarding was on time, but it was a mess with people pushing shoving and cutting in. Who knows why. We boarded from both back and front which I think is a great idea. I hate having to use my own device to watch anything, it smacks of cost cutting and gives me a sore neck, juice and water, no hot drinks. Plus a revolting dip (cashew and sweet potato) with a couple of crackers. We know Virgin is stingy so we ensure we eat beforehand. The seats were tight (it must be horrendous if the person in front reclines). Just so glad it was a short flight. Took us about 10 minutes to get to our gate on landing but all in all, it was ok.
RouteCanberra to Melbourne
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Thank you to Virgin Australia"

Not Verified | Mackay to Brisbane. As someone who requires a wheelie walker to get around, can only walk for a short distance and cannot walk up stairs, getting through an airport and boarding a plane seemed impossible to do. Yet, I was treated with respect and understanding and my fears were allayed. A wheelchair was readily available on arrival at the airport and the lift made it a breeze boarding the plane. The staff at the airport as well as flight crew ensured all my needs were met. Thank you to Virgin Australia for assisting people with mobility disabilities to participate so easily in air travel.
RouteMackay to Brisbane
Date FlownOctober 2019

"short trip which was a positive"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Canberra. I chose Virgin as the availability of times were best for me. Boarding was both from the front and rear. I like that as it is more efficient. The plane departed on time. Seats seem very narrow, thin padding with no seat back entertainment. We were told we could only have juice or water (no coffee/tea) and were given a very tiny muesli bar. All comes across a bit mean. However it’s just a short trip which was a positive.
RouteMelbourne to Canberra

"Thanks for nothing"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Perth. My trip started pretty pleasant with the ground staff who assisted us with every possible way he could since we were running late (God forbid Brisbane traffic!). Things took a different turn from then. Cabin crew did not greet you nor seem like they wanted to be there. Food choice was limited, butter chicken or pasta. We ordered one each and they were terribly dry and cold. The attendants never got me the drink that I ordered. My point was proven when one of the customers expressed his disappointment to the attendants in a vulgar tone that turned many heads. Wifi was not available as promised although I tried every steps on their instruction card. I guess it’s the customer phones that refused to work then. The flight back to Brisbane was even worse when a ground staff lady acted like her colleague is too dumb to help me resolve my check in issue. Food was provided with the same choice. Only catch is that one third way down, you were forced to eat pasta since they ran out of chicken option. Otherwise you can try landing at midnight and go home and cook what you want, which was what I did since the pasta was basically inedible. What a good way to finish your leftover stock Virgin. Had it not been a reward ticket, we would honestly never fly with Virgin. Thanks for nothing.
RouteBrisbane to Perth

"Incredibly poor service"

Trip Verified | Gold Coast to Melbourne. Incredibly poor service, breaching their own safety standards. Virgin forced us in a seat next to someone too big to fit within their seat, meaning that we could not put down our arm rest and resulting in my partners back being hurt. Staff ignored their own ‘put your armrest down’ requirement. Staff ignored our request for support and didn’t even try some basic compensation, like a drink. For your own sake, avoid.
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne

"unhelpful, lack compassion"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Darwin via Adelaide. I missed my flight by a minute, the ground staff were hands down the most unhelpful, lack compassion, rude and acted like it was all very inconvenient for them! Now I wanted to sort out where to go and what to do, with no help from the ground staff I find my self at the service desk with a saving grace of a lady who assisted me. But to be honest the staff on Virgin overall were a joke and rude I’ll never fly with them again.
RouteSydney to Darwin via Adelaide
Date FlownNovember 2019

" forced my family to split up"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Hamilton Island. They forced my family to split up because they made a mistake promising a seat to another guest. Putting people on the spot with no empathy. Baggage drop is also the worst experience I ever seen long queue with lack of staff presence. Absolutely avoid for the price you can pay to another airline.
RouteBrisbane to Hamilton Island
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Happy to keep flying with Virgin"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Brisbane. I made a last-minute booking with Virgin after my flight (from another airline got cancelled). I then realised that I couldn't make this Virgin flight, so I called up and changed it to two days later. The operator said that because I had booked with Virgin earlier that day, that for one time only, she would disregard the fees associated with changing flights. Happy to keep flying with Virgin!
Seat TypeFirst Class