Virgin Australia

"Appalling transparency in regards to cancellation policy"

Trip Verified | Appalling transparency in regards to cancellation policy. It states 'Choice' flight type can be cancelled for travel credit, but does not say anywhere on the page where you choose your flights that this travel credit only lasts 12 months, after which it is no longer valid and ends up as a 'donation' to Virgin Australia. After spending more than half an hour on the phone with a call centre agent, I'm directed to the 'Finalisation' page (right before making your payment) to the checklist of 10 things including Terms and Condition, and a few other links, where there is a specific link to "Future Flight Credit" highlighting that it only lasts 12 months. Then after further argument about this lack of transparency, the agent continues to respond like an automaton about being sorry that I did not read it, and whether I want to cancel the flight. After all that, she proceeds to cancel the flight. I find out then that the 12 months validity is from the time of cancellation (or issue of credits) rather than from the date of the flight (which is in advance of a month from today) and that I would have had an extra month of validity had I cancelled a day before or up to 2 hours before the flight. At this point I ask if I should just do that, to be told repeatedly that it is not possible as the cancellation has already been processed. At this point I lose my temper and ask to speak to her manager. I am now 45 minutes on the call. She puts me on hold for another 3 minutes. Then the same person comes back on the line to say she has spoken to her manager, and the cancellation has been voided, so I am now able to cancel closer to the date. If this was able to be the case, why was I screwed over in the first place and it refused until I lost my temper and asked to speak to the manager? This is an appalling booking and cancellation policy reliant on opacity rather than transparency, what a disgusting business model. Unfortunately it is one of 2 airlines available for this flight, so recommendation for choice of flight is less relevant, as the alternative is significantly more expensive.
RouteCanberra to Hobart via Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Absolute disgusting behavior"

Trip Verified | Cancels the flight 1 day before, moves it to a flight that doesn't suit us and ruins our international trip, we have to book and stay in a hotel and fly on the next day. They don't want to refund money to the card! Just gives it to some credit bank which is valid for 12 months only which doesn't work us at all as we don't fly that often. Absolute disgusting behavior.
RouteMelbourne to Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"staff were friendly and efficient"

Trip Verified | My flight was due to leave at 8.40 am but was rescheduled for 11.40 am. I was already on my way to the airport. I understand how tough times are for airlines but I wish more notice was given. I was stuck at the airport for the whole morning. The staff were friendly and efficient and it could have been a lot worse. I wish they would offer a greater variety of food to purchase, especially given it's a lunchtime flight.
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RouteMelbourne to Sunshine Coast
Date FlownDecember 2021

"Boxing Day flights cancelled twice"

Not Verified | Boxing Day flights cancelled twice in 24 hours, 3 days before departure - completely unreliable doubtless due to penny pinching new owners. Joke of an airline rapidly descending into bankruptcy yet again.
RouteAdelaide to Sydney
Date FlownDecember 2021

"attendants were friendly and efficient"

Trip Verified | A good flight. Staff at check in were friendly and helpful. The plane left on time and the flight attendants were friendly and efficient. There was a reasonable selection of drinks and snacks to purchase, which was fine for a short flight. No IFE, but that was not necessary in a flight less them 90 minutes.
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2021

"no customer service, no recovery"

Trip Verified | Flight cancelled, no customer service, no recovery, flight they rebooked us 14 days later to go home!! Got an earlier flight through other help. I was on the phone waiting for an hour. Food is average. Staff were nice.
RouteChristmas Island to Perth
Date FlownDecember 2021

"they were rude, dismissive and obnoxious"

Not Verified | Cairns to Brisbane, VA788, 18 July, 5.40, 7.55pm. The ground crew arrived and had missed one flight and was unable to get the barcode checked in to work, the male person was rude and told me to go back downstairs to check in - even though I had been waiting for him until the flight was nearly fully boarded. He then chose to ignore me then referred me to another staff member who gave me a boarding pass then reprimanded me by saying don’t expect it in the future as this was a one off, they were rude, dismissive and obnoxious and I will never fly with Virgin again.
RouteCairns to Brisbane
Date FlownJuly 2021

"get a text saying flights cancelled"

Not Verified | Booked a flight home on that date about 4 pm then at 10.30pm get a text saying flights cancelled and they transferred me to the 6.00 am time, Thats fine but i had a hire car, they dont open until 7am. I tried to ring Virgin to get the flight put back to a later time. They had no one to talk to about it, they open at 5am i was flying out at 6am and i had to leave the hire car at a service station. To me not having someone to talk to is pathetic by them, ok I got it done but the stress levels went through the roof that should not have happened.

"Such poor hospitality"

Not Verified | Requested an escort for my dad as he doesn’t speak English. They said they’ll sort it out in 30 mins. 5:30 rolls around still nothing, I went up to the desk to ask what’s going on they said they’ve only just got around to do so. 6:00 rolls around still nothing went up again to. They said that they’ve had a last minute change of plans. Which is understand able. Which tick me off was that the escort came in without saying hello or sorry for the wait. She just went and said “let’s go” in real harsh way and proceeded to walk so fast she ended up 20 metres ahead of dad felt like she didn’t want to help my dad. For my understanding if you’re an escort for a passenger you’d stick close to person and leave them chasing after you. That happened right in front of me, I can’t imagine what it was like for him after he went through security. I hope that lady’s older relatives didn’t get treated the way she treated my dad. Such poor hospitality and customer service
RoutePerth to Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Absolutely shocking customer service"

Not Verified | This airline is an absolute joke. Was at the airport at 4.30pm on 27th June for our flight to leave at 6.10pm. We waited in line for 2 hours so obviously missed our flight. There were no other flights going to the Gold Coast that day so we ended up taking a later flight to Brisbane and had to hire a car to drive to the Gold Coast from Brisbane. There was only one staff member checking people in. Absolutely shocking customer service and will never use this airline again.
RouteMelbourne to Gold Coast