Virgin Australia

"never fly with Virgin again"

Not Verified | I will never fly with Virgin again. I had to decide at the Brisbane airport not to go on a trip to Perth due to recent border changes for covid. Virgin service desk was not helping me out as I booked through the travel agent although I was at the airport service desk in person trying to get the ticket credit at 2 hours before my departure time. I told her I didn’t have enough time to contact my travel agent in such a short time frame. She falsely reassured me that I don’t need to worry about it and my travel agent could help even my departure time has passed. But instead she didn’t do anything and Virgin marked my ticket as “No show” and “used ticket”. Now my travel agent could not rebook for me. Virgin refused to reopen the ticket for me and accused me that I was “No show”.
RouteBrisbane to Perth

"Disgusting service"

Trip Verified | Not worth the inflated flights. Don't trust them during COVID! We just tried to change a flight that's coming up in 2 weeks. It took multiple calls over multiple days to even get through to the queue! You go through all the prompts, then it says "please call back later." Despite their website advertising free changes, after waiting 3.5 hours (no exaggeration) on the phone, we were told we could change to one of the multiple flights on the day we needed. And only the most expensive one. The equivalent flight on Jetstar was $135, on Virgin $177, yet they said that for a change, we could only book the $290 tickets, departing approximately an hour later. Disgusting service. We ended up paying more than the tickets were worth. Will avoid flying them again at all costs. Furthermore the process to change the flights took almost an hour after the 3.5 hour wait. Previously, we tried to change a flight online using a travel credit. When using the credit, we could only book our Brisbane to Melbourne flight with a stopover in Sydney. When we removed the flight credit option, the flights are direct and at a cheaper price.
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"has made us not want to fly again"

Trip Verified | Family of 4 traveled from Gold Coast to Melbourne on Monday 4/1/21 on flight no VA 750 at 6pm. While we were in the air, we had 20 minutes of severe turbulence which made my kids petrified and sick. It was so scary for me and my family that has made us not want to fly again. We have been to the Gold Coast every year on a different airline but had never experienced this turbulence. I would never fly on or recommend Virgin again to anyone. I did mention to one of the flight attendant when disembarking but she abruptly said it was wild weather.
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne

"an absolute disgrace"

Not Verified | Virgin Australia are an absolute disgrace! I had a flight booked for Monday 21st December 2020 from Sydney to Gold Coast. As I am sure you are aware, Queensland borders were closed to NSW residents on the 19th of December meaning it was impossible to fly to Gold Coast from Sydney unless having a valid exemption which I did not. You advertise on your website that we can cancel the flight and get flight credits. For 2 days solid I call your number you provided to cancel (136789) to which every time its a voicemail saying you have a high number of calls meaning nobody can speak right now and to call back at a better time or do cancellation online. But every time I do it online it says the only way to cancel is by calling you on 136789 which again I did for 2 days straight and nobody was taking calls. Please tell me how can I cancel my flight if this is the process you have in place??? It's completely misleading and scamming people. I also called the 3rd party saying all cancellations must be made direct through virgin but again, you simply wont let people do and are scamming them. From returning from my week away, I called yesterday spending an hour on hold and eventually somebody picking up. Again couldn't do anything, says i need to go on website etc and dont forget I already did this for 2 days solid previously letting you guys led me in roundabouts. I then asked to speak to a manager to which she says she will transfer me through to the help desk. Basically was on hold for another while until somebody else answered asking why i was calling. After repeating my story again this person could not help what so ever obviously leaving me angry and frustrated and after expressing this and how I felt she hung up on me after been on the phone for 90 minutes. The processes you guys have put in place meaning you are misleading customer’s by putting processes in place that are not accessible whilst also taking their money to which your website says you can get flights credits etc.
RouteSydney to Gold Coast
Date FlownDecember 2020

"The crew was friendly"

Trip Verified | Quick and easy check-in and boarding. The seats were a bit tight, but as the flight was less than full we could stretch out. The crew was friendly, and a snack of biscuits and fruit juice was served. The flight operated about 20 minutes late.
RouteHobart to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2020

"ripping off your top paying customers"

Not Verified | Pre COVID (and Bain) I loved Virgin - easily my domestic preference. Flew business post COVID and was just so sad now at what the penny pinchers are doing. I was paying top dollar for full price business class - there is no lounge, no separate boarding, and honestly don't bother serving a cookie in a box - save your dignity and just serve nothing. Qantas, who will now get our business, has lounges open and proper service. I get Virgin was bankrupt, but I don't understand how blatantly ripping off your top paying customers is your solution to recovery. What does a beer or wine and high quality sandwich cost you from a $1500 ticket? Get some marketing folks in fast before the accountants destroy you. No inflight, no wifi - for business in 2020.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2020

"avoid having to give people cash refunds"

Not Verified | I had 14 flights canceled by airlines because of Covid. 13 gave me cash refunds. Virgin is the only airline that refused! They hid behind the travel agency I used and tried to tell me it wasn't their decision. Now I have a voucher I don't want because they canceled the flight I did want. My understanding (not 100% sure this is true) is that they hid behind possible bankruptcy to avoid having to give people cash refunds they were otherwise be required to give. I assure you I will never patronize any of your companies ever again.
RouteLos Angelas to Melbourne
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Why no tea or coffee allowed"

Not Verified | Cairns to Brisbane with Virgin Australia. Got told no tea or coffee due to covid regulations, when we flew up to Cairns Qantas happily served it. Could not access entertainment either? Why no tea or coffee allowed, only water? Everyone told to board together.
RouteCairns to Brisbane
Date FlownOctober 2020

"airline of last resort"

Trip Verified | Flew Cairns to Brisbane business class with Qantas. Lounge open, hot meal. Then Brisbane to Sydney with Virgin (Qantas business sold out). No lounge, no meal, no explanation. If QF can do it why not Virgin? No wonder we see Virgin as airline of last resort.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney
Date FlownAugust 2020

"Cabin crew and ground staff were very lovely"

Trip Verified | All four of us got our ticket upgraded to Business Class and I have to say, I’m really pleased that we paid the extra $1200 for it. Cabin crew and ground staff were very lovely. The Virgin Australia lounge at Brisbane is very well laid out and has a huge variety of food, drinks and nibbles to choose from. On the aircraft, the seats were very comfy and had excellent leg room. The seat pitch was also pretty good too. Virgin’s IFE system definitely trumps Qantas’. Virgin have a large selection of movies, TV shows, games and music to choose from. Make sure that you have the Virgin Australia Entertainment app on your device. On Qantas’ IFE system, they have only released premiere movies which certainly isn’t bad, but those are the only movies that they have. I only had a a small problem connecting to the inflight wifi at first but other than that, the system worked beautifully. I definitely recommend Virgin Australia to be your next carrier across the skies.
RouteBrisbane to Hamilton Island