Virgin Australia

"The meals tasted terrible"

Trip Verified | Me and my wife flew to Perth on the 1st of January. The meals that they served us on the plane were simply inedible. The meals tasted terrible. They looked terrible. After tasting them, we handed them back to the hostess, we were just unable to eat them. Virgin should be ashamed of themselves for serving such terrible food, on one of Australia’s longest flights. Next time we fly, we’ll give Virgin a miss, and fly with Qantas instead.
RouteSydney to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"completely and utterly hopeless"

Trip Verified | Canberra to Adelaide via Sydney. 3 flights in 2 days & all of them late by significant margins. No explanations. Sit and wait! Very typical of my ongoing experience with Virgin Australia with 19 in 20 flights significantly late?. What’s wrong with this airline that they can’t get schedule right? How can they compensate me for time lost with my kids (not that they offer) because I have to leave a day early in order to be sure of getting to meetings on time or am late returning and not home in time to be with them. All because of Virgjn’s inability to fly anywhere close to schedule. Just completely and utterly hopeless. Then there’s the cut price catering at a full fare price, few reasonably modern amenities like USB charging ports, smart arse crew, the list goes on. All that compounded by what I think is poor customer support. No empathy nor comprehension of the impact of poor operations. Fly Jetstar in Oz. At least you’re paying cut price and understand it is what it is, not pretending!
RouteCanberra to Adelaide via Sydney

"enjoyable and memorable"

Trip Verified | Nadi to Melbourne. My family and I had a pleasant and memorable from Australia to Fiji and back via Virgin airlines. The price was excellent, the seats were comfortable, the free food and drinks were great the flight attendants were courteous and friendly. Best if all one flight attendant rendered us from the flight over to Fiji on our return trip to Australia a week later. She was very sweet, natural and helpful and helped make our trip very enjoyable and memorable. Thank you.
RouteNadi to Melbourne

"ignored me completely"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Sydney. I was skipped to be said thank you from the crew, even I said to her and she said to other passengers she ignored me completely. It might be small thing but I was not treated properly. I often use Virgin Australia for domestic flight, but I am not fan of Virgin Australia anymore. I was wondering why its so difficult to say just thank you.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"glad the flights were over"

Trip Verified | Nadi to Melbourne via Sydney. Easy check at Nadi. Leaving for Sydney was prompt. Paid for economy x seats, definitely recommend as Virgin uses domestic planes. On this route to Sydney, there were USB ports low under the armrests of the seat in front, better than they offer ex Melbourne. However, you have to use your own device. As before the meal, although tasty, was very small, I had Chicken Parma. No rolls or dessert. My advice BYO snacks. Only one drink run. I bought water at Nadi airport but as your bags are searched prior to boarding they will pass the sealed bag (yes just with water) after this procedure. We arrived 50 minutes early into Sydney but weren’t given the ok to land so we circled all this time. On landing, we had to wait about 15 mins for a gate which meant we missed our connecting flight. You have to get bags after clearing immigration and rechecking at the transfer area (well marked). We were booked on the 10 pm flight which was packed. There was this guy in front of us who was watching Bollywood on his device without headphones. The FA told him twice not to do this without headphones but that didn’t stop him and I think the FA gave up after twice. We arrived in Melb at 11.30pm, tired but glad the flights were over.
RouteNadi to Melbourne via Sydney

"professional and courteous"

Trip Verified | Cloncurry to Auckland via Brisbane. My memory of Virgin Australia being an average airline is far from true. Both planes were immaculate and flights on time. Cabin crew professional and courteous. IFE was receptive and wifi worked well. Meal is slightly above flight standards.
AircraftFokker 100 / Boeing 737-800
RouteCloncurry to Auckland via Brisbane
Date FlownDecember 2019

"full price for a budget service"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Nadi. We booked economy x tickets and very glad we did although in Melbourne we did not even board early. Our “dedicated” locker (row 13) was already full by the time we got to it and we were the only two seated in that row. Disappointingly Virgin uses domestic planes for this 5 hr flight, so economy is tight. Glad we didn’t travel business as there were a lot of unsettled babies down that end. We left on time. You had to rely on your own device for entertainment which hurts your neck after a while. No points to recharge. Food was very minimal, I had the pumpkin pasta which was very tasty but tiny and that’s it. Nothing else. I did bring some cheese and crackers plus chocolate which helped. They seem keen on selling food on board - and that is wrong for a $3000 return flight for the two of us. I feel gouged. Landing was fast and hard but on time. Not too impressed with Virgin as they are charging full price for a budget service, Struggling airlines need to up the ante not drive passengers away.
RouteMelbourne to Nadi

"praise the staff"

Not Verified | We have used Virgin a few times in the last month and cannot praise the staff for being caring and compassionate. I fly to Sydney every 6 weeks to pick up our daughter and grandson and fly back and they are impressed how good they have been. I previously used jetstar and found them not good at all and not happy.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Perth to Sydney. I booked a ticket for one of our staff through a 3rd party booker. When she went to the airport for the flight she was told that there was no flight for her, despite her showing the confirmation papers with booking number for both Virgin and the 3rd party booker. Virgin made her pay for another flight at the gate. I am trying to get a refund as we are not paying twice for the same flight. The Virgin Customer Service team can now find the original booking but cannot find the new booking they made her pay for at the gate. This has been going on for 2 1/2 months and I am getting no resolution from Virgin. Poor customer service.
RoutePerth to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2019

"extremely dissatisfied"

Not Verified | Sydney to Cairns. I have never before encountered worse customer service quality or greater incompetence from an airline. I had no problem with any other airlines in Australia except for Virgin airlines. While travelling with my family from Sydney to Cairns, Virgin Australia lost one of my family member's bags and were unable to track it and could not return it until several days later (after promising that it would arrive first thing the next morning). On the way back from Cairns to Sydney, our flight was delayed 5 hours and we were not notified by email or text, as the contract promised. Since we had international connecting flights directly after our flight from back to Sydney, we could not wait 5 hours do to an aircraft issue and tried to get Virgin Australia associates to help us get on an earlier flight. However, they were very unwilling to help us and told us that it was up to us to negotiate with the airlines for our other flights. We had no option but to cancel our Virgin flights and buy flights from another airline going to Sydney. At the time, the Virgin associate we spoke with told us she would organise a refund for our cancelled flights. Now, Virgin Australia is refusing to provide documentation for our flight cancellation, making it very difficult to get refunded for a large amount of money that we had to pay because of them. Further, Virgin was unable to transfer our luggage when we switched flights, so they told us they would send our luggage directly to our final destination. However, it has been 4 days and we still have not received our luggage. I am extremely dissatisfied with this airline and I would not recommend it to anyone traveling in Australia.
RouteSydney to Cairns