Virgin Australia

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Not Verified | Bali to Christchurch via Sydney. Virgin Australia is the worst airline I have ever flown with and will never fly with again. The flight to Sydney from Bali had no screens, and it was for 6 to 7 hours. I also had a screaming child sitting behind me and the parent was letting it pull my hair, kick non-stop at the back of my seat as we were waiting for people to finish boarding the plane. When they asked if people felt unwell and if anyone needed sick bags, I also put up my hand as I had been sick during my trip and I wanted to move seats as I was getting a headache already from the baby behind me and the inconsiderate parents. The flight attendants did not care or want to help out on the matter of feeling unwell and instead wanted to kick me off the aircraft as they said they don't want sick people on the flight. I was not sick, I had been ill 2 days ago and feel as though the air hostesses were instead setting people up to ruin their holiday even further by stranding them when I just wanted to get the hell home. After arguing with the unsympathetic air hostesses and giving them back my sick bag they finally let me remain on the flight despite kicking 2 other poor people off, and they did nothing but make me feel uncomfortable or like a nuisance for trying to ask for a more comfortable flight. The baby kicked and screamed the whole flight and I just about fainted when I got off the plane in Sydney. Get better air hostesses who seem to want to bring people down and wreck their holidays rather than help make the flight better! So don't ever put your hand up if they go around asking if you're feeling unwell - they will just kick you off the flight rather than try to help you! Also the food was terrible, so cheap and tacky it was worse than hospital food and you only had 2 options - meat eaters could opt for the vegetarian food meaning that some vegetarians had no food when their options ran out at the end of the plane.
RouteBali to Christchurch via Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Quick, efficient flight"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Hobart. Quick, efficient flight, good drinks service from the cheerful crew and we soon landed at Hobart. Good value at £60 for a single ticket. The baggage collection at Hobart was chaotic, but I think that was not Virgin Australia's fault, and the airport needs to look at how it handles multiple landings in a short space of time.
RouteMelbourne to Hobart
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"flying with Virgin more often"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Sydney. I tend to with Qantas quite a lot and in my opinion there is a difference in service. The Boarding process started on time, with priority given to Business Class and High tiered Frequent Flyers. The Team welcoming passengers onboard were fantastic. The Customer Service Manager was leading a very well trained team. The meal served was delicious, with desserts to compliment. Seating was comfortable, but not for more then 3 hours. IFE content was very adequate, plenty of entertainment to keep you occupied. I definitely will be flying with Virgin more often.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2019

" cabin was quite empty"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Brisbane. Haven't flown Virgin Australia since August 2017 but thought I give them another chance as they had Double Status Credit Promotions. Check In and Security were very fast and efficient. The Boarding process was on time and It's great to see priority passengers given way first then general boarding began. The flight was less than half full, a strange sight to see. The cabin crew were professional, even offering other seats for extra comfort as the cabin was quite empty. Great to see an update to the IFE with plenty of new content. The arrival was 20 minutes early, that's also another first for me. Overall, I can see a huge improvement to the quality of service and it's given a reason to start flying with Virgin more.
RouteSydney to Brisbane
Date FlownMarch 2019

"professional and seamless service"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Darwin. Virgin Australia provided a professional and seamless service both on the ground as well as inflight. It was a 4 and a half hour flight and we were given refreshments and healthy food, hot and cold, twice. The staff interacted positively with their peers and customers. Will definitely be seeking out Virgin flights for self and family in the future.
RouteSydney to Darwin
Date FlownMarch 2019

"the experience was unpleasant"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Queenstown to Sydney with. Just such a poor service provider. From start to finish the experience was unpleasant. When we lined up to check in with 3 desks open we were 8 people from the front. It took 35 minutes to get to the point where we stepped up to check in. Was crazy how slow they were so I started timing. Over 7 minutes per check in. Then the flight was over an hour late to board. No updates, no communication, absolutely nothing. Only silver lining is that this was a business paid trip. I won’t be using the Virgin airline providers again.
RouteQueenstown to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2019

"wouldn’t allow me carry it on board"

Trip Verified | Rockhampton to Brisbane. Upon arriving at checkin I was apparently 3 mins past checkin closing time, the checkin assistant rudely reprimanded me telling me that I have missed the flight because I arrived 3 minutes late and behaved as though I was late because I was flegmatic. She advised she would need to as her manager if she could check me in, who sat in the second seat next to her. The manager “approved” based off the fact the plane was running late. She then insisted to weigh my carryon and because it was over 7 kgs did nothing other than tell me that I cannot take it onboard with me. Of course I couldn’t move items into checked in luggage which was a small bag and packed to the brim. I had to request that I pay extra to carry it on with me for additional weight and advised I had done this before. She charged me extra but wouldn’t allow me carry it on board. She unnecessarily rushed me through the process and didn’t ask me if I had fragile items in the bag. I certainly was not satisfied with this kind of treatment or assistance in finding an appropriate solution. The flight attendant did not smile once even when being shown courtesy and smile to her, and when asking what I would like she would raise her eyebrows each time. Good service including helpfulness and friendliness is a weakness with all staff across the board. Just terrible.
RouteRockhampton to Brisbane
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"an hour of free wifi service"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Sydney. I bought my tickets separately, but it seems to me the flight attendant was making sure I had my return ticket out of Australia. I assumed that many people go to Australia and not leave. In the airplane, I just had to use the bathroom really quick, but the attendant made a big deal to make sure everyone stay seated when the seatbelt sign was on. So, since they made quite a scene about it, I just went along with them. The good thing is that the flight had an hour of free wifi service.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Late again and again"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to Perth. Late again and again, I don't know why my company insists to book with Virgin Australia. Definitely I am not going to use virgin for my personal trips.
RouteAdelaide to Perth

"no hello” or a smile"

Trip Verified | Took an early morning international flight from Sydney to Nadi. Check in counter opened 30 minutes late. Once the crew had indicated that the checkin counter was open, they had all gathered in the business class check service desk and left passengers waiting to be served at economy desk. I found it particularly disturbing that there was no pleasant acknowledgement “hello” or a smile while assisting and the same was on board the flight. The tight lipped airhostess seemed like to be supervising an exam, again no smile or acknowledgement even when being directly served. I choose to fly with virgin Australia simply because it’s an Australian airline but I just want to highlight that the little things matter and no matter what the added logistics are, delayed flight, late checkin etc, pleasant crew members always help. Let’s not forget the fellow passengers who arrive 3 hours before for international flight.
RouteSydney to Nadi