Virgin Australia

"very professional and caring"

Trip Verified | Cannot thank Virgin domestic staff for their help yesterday 21/5/19 when the travel agent failed to give us vital information about a visa they helped out tremendously so I didn't miss my flight and they ensured they didn't break any rules. It could of been disastrous and very costly. Being not an experienced traveler and not having the correct information by the travel agent, I found Virgin very professional and caring.
RouteSydney to Brisbane
Date FlownMay 2019

"a 13 and a 5 hour layover"

Trip Verified | I booked my flights with minimal layover time, 1.5 hours going there and 2 hours heading back. By the time of my vacation three of my flights had been changed leaving me with a 13 and a 5 hour layover. When I contacted the travel agent they told me they couldn't do anything. When I contacted Virgin Australia I was told I'd have to contact Delta since they were the ones actually doing the flights. When I tried to contact Delta they never responded. Since you all decided to pass the blame around with no one taking responsibility for stealing my time when I paid for certain accommodations and no one wanted to take responsibility you all deserve bad reviews. I will say this about Delta that I can't say about Virgin Australia, since I didn't deal with Virgin Australia other than over the phone, their grounds crew and plane crews were friendly. Then less than a month before my flight, when I was trying to find out what was going on, since no one had gotten back to me, I was told that she never had submitted it and that she in fact couldn't submit it.
RouteSydney to Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2019

"No information, communication"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Melbourne. Zero stars for Virgin Australia. My husband and I have been flying for 35 years and this was the worst experience we’ve ever encountered. Paid for business class tix and both outbound and return flights were cancelled, without explanation. No information, communication, customer service. VA didn’t notify us but rerouted is for a 30-hour 3-leg journey, instead of our direct flight, that would have us miss three vacation days. After hours of trying to get through to a representative, we salvaged some of our trip and only missed a day and a half but had to fly economy. Similar experience return trip. Flight cancelled hours before take off, with another 24+ hour delay. Had to buy our own tix to return on Qantas since we could not afford to lose more time. We returned over one month ago and are still trying to get VA to refund us. A nightmare.
RouteLos Angeles to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Premium experience? No"

Brisbane to Melbourne with Virgin Australia. After checking in by machine we went to bag drop. First time ever in business was I asked for my carry on to be weighed. I was 500g over, so I took out my jacket and wore it, Premium experience. No. Next was the lounge, it was huge and jam packed with very few seats available. Too busy for staff to keep up with cleaning so we sat at a grubby table. Checking out the offerings, just a few salad items and bread you can toast. Premium experience? No. Next was boarding. Despite only 8 seats in business, the premium line had at least 30 in line. Again premium experience? No. The seat was okay but those in front of us reclined the moment we took off reducing our leg room to economy standard. Premium experience? No. No papers or magazines offered. The meal was the same as what we received on the one a few days previously but not as nice. We were not offered any device, had to use our own. To pay this much over economy you expect and should receive better than what Virgin offers, I would only ever go economy in future wth Virgin and take my own sandwich on board, saving many hundreds. Quite disappointing overall.
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2019

"staff were okay but not attentive at all"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Brisbane with Virgin Australia. Check in at the airport was by machine, the Virgin staff directed us to economy line until I pointed out we were travelling business. Bit disappointing. The lounge was very busy with hardly any food options, never been in one that was so poor in its offering. Onto boarding. Although there are only 8 seats in business, obviously many qualified for boarding at the same time so the line up was of about 30 people. The seat was comfortable but no foot rest and no screen, only if you download their app on your own device. Juice or water was offered pre flight. The flight was not long enough for a movie however there were a number of series to watch. We were at least half an hour waiting on the plane before take off. The 8 business seats were all occupied. We had an Aussie celebrity in business who was given exclusive attention. The meal (lunch) was okay. The gnocchi was nice but Luke Mangan cookies were terrible, dry and tasteless. The staff were okay but not attentive at all. Didn’t matter too much for a two hour flight. Landing was smooth and luggage was one of the first off the belt. All in all not quite the premium experience I hoped for but it was good to have more space than in economy.
RouteMelbourne to Brisbane

"staff never smiled"

Trip Verified | Proserpine to Brisbane. Not a great experience at all! I'll start with the rude, abrupt and ignorant staff who checked us in at Proserpine. Tried telling us we were over weight and needed to pay extra, however upon her looking after I told her we both had 30kg allowance she realised I was correct. No apology. My partner's case had been damaged on our travels which we told her about. She threw a pen and paper for him to declare this then snatched it back off him! Totally rude with zero custom service and facial expressions show signs that she hates her job! Clearly not the job for her being in a customer service role. To note I wasn't the only person who I heard complain about her neither. When we got on the plane, staff never smiled. They are meant to make going on holiday a nice experience which wasn't my experience with . I have coeliac disease so asked for a GF alternative to the snack given. I was told by staff they would check but I'm still waiting now! I had to ask again if I could purchase crisps but they had practically ran out of all stock. Wont look to travel with Virgin Australia again or recommend to anyone.
AircraftDon't know
RouteProserpine to Brisbane
Date FlownApril 2019

"a reasonably good flight"

Trip Verified | The flight was slightly delayed. Service was quite friendly and efficient. I appreciated that during the "happy hour" , they provided free beer or wine. The meal was very limited for what is supposed to be a full service airline. Just a small packet of crackers. QANTAS is far better. When I wanted to purchase something extra I was told to wait. The request was never followed up . Overall, though a reasonably good flight.
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide

"f"light was delayed 3hrs

Trip Verified | On my travel to New Zealand I had chose Virgin Australia. While traveling from Sydney to Auckland was delayed 1.5 hours and from Queenstown to Sydney back the flight was delayed 3hrs - horrible and they never bothered to inform the passengers if it's was delayed by message or mail. We had to wait in airport
RouteQueenstown to Sydney

"acceptable travel experience"

Trip Verified | Townsville to Brisbane. Considering the cost, Qantas is still a more 'complete' product. But in saying that, Virgin still offers an acceptable travel experience. The service was on time and cabin crew were friendly, but maybe a tad scripted. The meal offering was fairly average, with only a gluten free bar served. Entertainment was offered, but was just a mobile website rather than a proper application. The cabin was relatively spacious for an economy product, but the seats were quite hard. Overall, a decent flying experience, which easily places Virgin (2nd) between Jetstar (3rd) and Qantas (1st).
RouteTownsville to Brisbane
Date FlownNovember 2018

"the worst seats ever"

Not Verified | First time I have flown Virgin Australia. I was happy with the service on my Darwin to Melbourne flight, staff were courteous and efficient, my snack was very edible. My major gripe would be the seats which are like sitting on a concrete bench. Halfway through my 4 hour flight I had to get up and stand down the back near the toilets just to relieve my discomfort. Seriously Virgin Australia you have to do something about those seats on a long domestic flight, they are truly up there with the worst seats ever.
RouteDarwin to Melbourne