Virgin Australia

"Every flight delayed"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Adelaide via Melbourne. Previous (first) flight i had my bag left behind. Returned to me at a later date. Flight delays, missed flights, no information that flights were delayed, no apologies. Helpful man when needing to rebook missed connection. Every flight delayed. Not impressed. Will endeavour never to fly with them again. Not recommend. Some staff were lovely; most staff not apologetic or understanding. Definitely by far the worst service and organization I've experienced with any airline. It's worth it to pay more for another airline.
RouteAuckland to Adelaide via Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I need to shift airlines"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Sydney. Now Virgin has no alliance partners, at LAX airport travelling back to Sydney only allowed 1 guest if you are gold status. Meant for my family I could either have my 8 year old daughter join me in the lounge or husband but not both. This is really bad customer service and poor by Virgin. If you cannot get better deals than this for FF flyers you should have stayed in an alliance. I need to shift airlines.
RouteLos Angeles to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"the flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Melbourne. After waiting for 1 hour to check our luggage in we were informed the flight was cancelled, we had purchased our tickets through princess cruise ships , who at that time informed us they were guaranteed flights virgin had to re book us or find an alternate airline. Virgin just said sorry no can do we can get you there after your boat has left not sooner. Time line Brisbane airport we arrived at 430 am we needed to be in Melbourne by 5pm 12.5 hours later. We went to Qantas, same location, same weather, same destination, they could and did sell us tickets to arrive in time.
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"aircraft like cattle pens"

Trip Verified | I booked a Virgin Atlantic flight from London to Melbourne and Hong Kong to Melbourne was with Virgin Australia. My only gripe with Virgin Australia is the seat pitch and it was dreadful. I am 6ft and knees wedged against seat in front all the whole journey and made worse on Return Leg when seat in front reclined as took out my drink. Asked on both legs to upgrade to Extra Legroom seats and told none available. I sat in Row 29 and Row 28 all seats with extra legroom on Outbound were empty!!! It was my birthday when I travelled so played this card to Cabin Crew once airborne and guess what, still spent journey looking at empty/roomy seats in front of me. I will never travel Virgin Australia again and made a point of booking internal flights once in Australia with Jetstar where legroom was 2 inches more and cheaper. Well done Virgin Australia, lost another customer for making your aircraft like cattle pens in Economy.
RouteHong Kong to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"the seat design is flawed"

Trip Verified | This was the first time I had flown VA business since they had retro fitted new business seats. First up, the cabin service was excellent. The food was okay to good - the lunch service was okay (fish was overcooked and hard), the breakfast service was delicious. They have on board coffee machines that serve ground coffee. My seat, 5A, was in the main business class cabin. It was a full business class flight. Unfortunately, the seat design is flawed, especially for tall people (I am 192cm tall). Although the bed fully reclines, the fixed position of the tray table that cannot be stowed means you are in the equivalent of a sleeping straight jacket. You cannot turn over as your hips bang against the tray table. Also, it is annoying how the only way you can exit the pod is if the seat is in the upright position, and even then, the clearance to exit makes it awkward. If there is a plus to the set up, it is privacy. The configuration is certainly more private that the prior version, but it comes at the cost of space. Now you feel like you are in a pen like a cow. I'm a frequent business traveler, and in my opinion, what I pay for is space, convenience, and service. Unfortunately, although the service was high class, because of the flawed seat design I will not be rebooking my next flight across the Pacific using Virgin Australia. It's a conundrum, how do you rate the flight when the service was a 9 (lost a point of the lunch), but the seat was a 1? I guess you have to average it out. Hence a 5. I would not recommend this seat configuration for: a. Tall people, unless you can sleep and get comfortable on your back. b. Elderly or those with mobility issues. It is difficult to get in and out of the seat. c. Those that like to rest on their side. The position of the tray table will make that difficult. I would recommend it for: a. Those like value privacy b. Those that can get comfortable in any position, or those who don't want to sleep c. The quality of the service. Finally, Wi Fi was good. There was about 2 hours with no service, but otherwise browsing and downloading was fine. Uploading was patchy and not particularly good.
RouteMelbourne to Los Angeles

"The worst airline ever"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Denpasar. The worst airline ever! Check in facilities were a joke! I arrived at the airport at 0550 for a flight departing at 0805 to BNE & DPS. I waited in the queue to get inside the terminal for over 40 minutes. Once inside, the queue snaked along and the kiosks weren't able to cope and wouldn't print out passes or bag labels! I finally got to the 'urgent' counter (1 & 2) - for flights departing at 0730 and 0800 - at 0750 and was told I was too late and not allowed to board my flight to BNE meaning I would also miss my connecting flight to Bali/DPS). Pathetic excuses for their delays "which are due to the large number of people wanting to go on holiday" and "an unexpected number of people from a cruise ship." Pathetic Service Counter: given their inability to cope with the surprising number of travellers, there was only 1 person on the counter! Another later arrived but all up I waited 1 1/2 hrs to get rebooked onto another flight. By the time I transferred to the international terminal I had to run to board the departing flight at 1120. I had been queuing for 5 1/2 hrs straight. The vegetarian curry was lukewarm with stodgy rice and the coffee tepid. In the past 4 yrs I have travelled the world and experienced better service at third world airports, and received better service and superior food on less 'branded' airlines.
RouteSydney to Denpasar

"the worst fight ever"

Trip Verified | Gold Coast to Sydney. It’s the worst fight ever, delay 3 hours and no one from Virgin crew to give any explanation. Virgin stuff are rude and they have no manners with people The funny part is : on board they ask you to relax .
RouteGold Coast to Sydney

"Lack of any assistance"

Trip Verified | 22nd December we were due to fly out of Hobart to Sydney for a connection flight to Gold Coast (home). Just after 6am I received an email advising our flight had been cancelled and we would be flying into Melbourne the next day with 3 hr stop over before a connection flight to Gold Coast. This did not work for us as we had pets that needed to be cared for and had no accommodation in Hobart. Tried to contact Virgin by phone to ask what options we had. Waited on the phone for well over 1 hour and gave up waiting to speak to someone and had to book (at our own expense and highly inflated prices) a direct flight from Hobart to Brisbane and had to find a way back to the Gold Coast airport. The staff at the checkin counter were not able to assist us at all. Then the new flight we had booked was delayed approximately 3 hours while waiting for crew to arrive. Lack of any assistance or staff leaves us with a extremely bad experience with this airline. We have been loyal customers to Virgin Australia for many trips but will be definitely looking at other airlines in the future.
RouteHobart to Gold Coast via Sydney
Date FlownDecember 2018

"seats were very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Perth to Sydney with Virgin Australia. The flight couldn’t have gone better. The flight attendants were excellent, food was good, the flight departed and landed on time, boarding was quick. The seats were very comfortable.
AircraftA330-200
RoutePerth to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2018

"queue for over an hour"

Not Verified | Canberra to Los Angeles via Melbourne. We stood in the queue for over an hour waiting to check in while there was one person on the desk. Terrible service we almost missed our flight because they can’t roster more people on to help worh check in. We were not the only people who this happened to either.
RouteCanberra to Los Angeles via Melbourne