Virgin Australia

"disgusted with the service"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Adelaide. Pretty disgusted with the service. We were 3 minutes late for checking in and they wouldn't even budge, flight still had 27 minutes until it left, then they tried to charge us $500 for a later flight, high way robbery, totally agree with paying extra but seriously $500, this must be how they make their money. Clearly we have to go as we had a death in the family but no compassion what's so ever. Will never fly with virgin again. When they could of just said no worries you are 3 minutes late but we will help you out - nope $$$$$ is all they are interested in.
RouteSydney to Adelaide
Date FlownMarch 2020

"attitude of the staff was really awful"

Trip Verified | My wife and I travelled on VA0595 from Hobart to Perth on the 16th March 2020. We were really disappointed that there was not enough food (snacks) on the aircraft which was not even nearly full except for some Asian rice dish. The cabin staff were very perfunctory and short when we asked about the options open to us, the attitude of the staff without exception was really awful. Then to crown it off once we were airborne and the (snacks and a drink) dispensed with the lights were dimmed, the cabin crew retired to the galley and held a raucous and very loud get together which was punctuated with shrill voices and loud raucous laughter which obviated any thoughts of a relaxing evening flight getting into Perth after 12:00am Hobart time. In short, their behaviour was unprofessional and very larrikan with no regard to the comfort of the passengers. What a pity that Virgin has had to resort to this poor quality of personnel to service their flights.
RouteHobart to Perth

"They are unscrupulous"

Not Verified | Brisbane to Cairns. Virgin Australia has managed to skewer us for 700.00 Canadian dollars and they did it with ease! As a result of the world issue with Corvonavirus we had to return to Canada on short notice. We called Virgin Australia numerous times while still in Australia and could never get through to customer service and their on line page is awful, more interested in up selling. Their web site indicates if you booked through an agent they have to cancel. Our agent couldn't contact them either. They are unscrupulous and not a company worth dealing with. I cant imagine Sir Richard Branson approves of this or maybe he does?
RouteBrisbane to Cairns
Date FlownMarch 2020

"cannot board as the gate is closed"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Sydney . My flight was scheduled to leave at 4pm and I was on a different gate and upon hearing the final boarding announcement I reached the counter at 3:52 pm. I was told by the staff on the counter that the flight has left. I told her that it was to leave at 4pm so how come it left early. Then she corrected herself and said that I cannot board as the gate is closed and pointed me to the help desk on level 1. I am disappointed with the poor customer service as they greet you with straight faces and they are not there to help.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney

"I am so impressed"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Melbourne. Best flight I have ever been on. This started our honeymoon to Australia. We sat business class and felt like royalty with our own flight attendant. I have multiple food allergies and they were so helpful and accommodating. The seats were comfortable and the overnight bag made our slumber even more luxurious. I am so impressed with VA and would recommend it to anyone flying overnight.
RouteLos Angeles to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"thank you to both of those ladies"

Not Verified | We were flying home from Hamilton Island on Sunday 08/03/2020 but when we got to the airport to find out that I had actually booked the flight for Monday 09/03/2020. 2 Virgin Australia workers (Shelby and Amy) in Hamilton Island helped us out with no questions asked. They got on the phone and arranged new flights for myself and my partner to get on both flights on Sunday 08/03/2020. Have to say a huge thank you to both of those ladies for the wonderful work they did for us yesterday.
RouteHamilton Island to Adelaide via Sydney

"greeted very frostily"

Trip Verified | Wellington to Melbourne via Sydney. Booked a return trip from Melbourne to Wellington which was the cheapest at the time however, the catch is you have to fly to Sydney with only an hour layover. They were late in taking off and arriving and had a staff member pick up 11 passengers to take them directly to the gate for their connecting flight. That went without a hitch and lucky no one had check-in bags to pick up or the luggage was flying thru or got transferred. The flight headed to Wellington was also slightly delayed. That's 2 delays thus far. On the way home, we were more than 30 mins behind schedule and because we checked in bags this time we had to clear customs and check bags in again. Upon arriving at the desk at 10:15 am for an 11 am flight I was greeted very frostily without any apologies and was advised with minimal explanation that I had missed my flight, it wasn't due to leave until 11 am, and that I will be on the next flight which was at 12 pm. This took a further 15 mins to organise and again without explanation she takes off somewhere. When she comes back she coldly asks how many bags and I respond 2 and she proceeds to ask me to rip off the old tags. There is one more tag and she snaps that off. The whole experience has been horrendous the moment we left Wellington. I understand delays and they happen all the time and to various airlines. What is unacceptable is that sort of treatment especially when they were delayed by 30 mins which meant we missed our flight, to begin with.
RouteWellington to Melbourne via Sydney

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Queenstown. This is the worst airline I ever taken. They are a nightmare. I missed my flight because of their rude, lack of care and un-empathetic ground staff. So my flight was at 10.30am and I was at their counter at 9am. After checking-in, they told me that I have 2 luggage and they overweight. I can only check-in 1 luggage and they are over-weight. To add additional bag of 23kg is $150 (min 23kg) or $120 for 1 luggage up to 30kg. So, I went to the side to remove some item which is just nearby from their counters with seats. When I am done meeting their weight requirement and combine 2 luggages into 1, I left my carry-ons at the seats on went to the check-in area in which they want me to bring my carry ons along. So i walked back to the seat to get my carry ons, then they walk over with my luggage with the smug face and tone to tell me that my luggage is my own responsibility and throw it back at me. Then proceed to tell me the gate have closed I cant board the flight already. I told them we still have 40 mins to the flight, they say they have already closed the gate. I say I never even heard the gate for boarding and they dun even have the courtesy to assist me or advise me that the gate is closing when I am just nearby. Plus i have already checked-in. Normally, for other airlines they will look for the missing passenger that has not board the flight but check-in. They simply ask me to go book another flight and even told me I should have come to the airport 3 hours before the flight. Seriously, this airline only cares about making money but take care of their passengers. Really, worst customer service ever, or they do not even have customer service to begin with.
RouteMelbourne to Queenstown

"Extremely disappointed"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to Melbourne. Extremely disappointed in Virgin Australia. Booked a return flight with my wife after travelling for a wedding and once boarding the plane we were disembarked due to engine trouble. This is fine in itself but to put us on a plane 11 hours later when we have a a 16 month old at home that doesn’t have a babysitter after 4pm when there was 4 flights going to our destination after us with Virgin Australia that apparently had no room. We were then told to book with another company at our own costs as each of the 4 flights after us had been over booked and very little chance of accommodating us. This has now put us out $1200 and the response from the manager was sorry that’s not our problem. I guess this is just a case of a big company taking advantage of the consumer once again.
RouteAdelaide to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2020

"one of the best I’ve flown yet"

Not Verified | Sydney to Hobart. It was one of the best I’ve flown yet, the reason is that they provide great snacks and it was a fast 2-3 hour flight, I’ve flown the same route before with Qantas and Virgin Australia offered great service and everything was fine expect for the return flight which was delayed for 20 minutes.
RouteSydney to Hobart