Virgin Australia

"an absolute disgrace"

Not Verified | Virgin Australia are an absolute disgrace! I had a flight booked for Monday 21st December 2020 from Sydney to Gold Coast. As I am sure you are aware, Queensland borders were closed to NSW residents on the 19th of December meaning it was impossible to fly to Gold Coast from Sydney unless having a valid exemption which I did not. You advertise on your website that we can cancel the flight and get flight credits. For 2 days solid I call your number you provided to cancel (136789) to which every time its a voicemail saying you have a high number of calls meaning nobody can speak right now and to call back at a better time or do cancellation online. But every time I do it online it says the only way to cancel is by calling you on 136789 which again I did for 2 days straight and nobody was taking calls. Please tell me how can I cancel my flight if this is the process you have in place??? It's completely misleading and scamming people. I also called the 3rd party saying all cancellations must be made direct through virgin but again, you simply wont let people do and are scamming them. From returning from my week away, I called yesterday spending an hour on hold and eventually somebody picking up. Again couldn't do anything, says i need to go on website etc and dont forget I already did this for 2 days solid previously letting you guys led me in roundabouts. I then asked to speak to a manager to which she says she will transfer me through to the help desk. Basically was on hold for another while until somebody else answered asking why i was calling. After repeating my story again this person could not help what so ever obviously leaving me angry and frustrated and after expressing this and how I felt she hung up on me after been on the phone for 90 minutes. The processes you guys have put in place meaning you are misleading customer’s by putting processes in place that are not accessible whilst also taking their money to which your website says you can get flights credits etc.
RouteSydney to Gold Coast
Date FlownDecember 2020

"The crew was friendly"

Trip Verified | Quick and easy check-in and boarding. The seats were a bit tight, but as the flight was less than full we could stretch out. The crew was friendly, and a snack of biscuits and fruit juice was served. The flight operated about 20 minutes late.
RouteHobart to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2020

"ripping off your top paying customers"

Not Verified | Pre COVID (and Bain) I loved Virgin - easily my domestic preference. Flew business post COVID and was just so sad now at what the penny pinchers are doing. I was paying top dollar for full price business class - there is no lounge, no separate boarding, and honestly don't bother serving a cookie in a box - save your dignity and just serve nothing. Qantas, who will now get our business, has lounges open and proper service. I get Virgin was bankrupt, but I don't understand how blatantly ripping off your top paying customers is your solution to recovery. What does a beer or wine and high quality sandwich cost you from a $1500 ticket? Get some marketing folks in fast before the accountants destroy you. No inflight, no wifi - for business in 2020.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2020

"avoid having to give people cash refunds"

Not Verified | I had 14 flights canceled by airlines because of Covid. 13 gave me cash refunds. Virgin is the only airline that refused! They hid behind the travel agency I used and tried to tell me it wasn't their decision. Now I have a voucher I don't want because they canceled the flight I did want. My understanding (not 100% sure this is true) is that they hid behind possible bankruptcy to avoid having to give people cash refunds they were otherwise be required to give. I assure you I will never patronize any of your companies ever again.
RouteLos Angelas to Melbourne
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Why no tea or coffee allowed"

Not Verified | Cairns to Brisbane with Virgin Australia. Got told no tea or coffee due to covid regulations, when we flew up to Cairns Qantas happily served it. Could not access entertainment either? Why no tea or coffee allowed, only water? Everyone told to board together.
RouteCairns to Brisbane
Date FlownOctober 2020

"airline of last resort"

Trip Verified | Flew Cairns to Brisbane business class with Qantas. Lounge open, hot meal. Then Brisbane to Sydney with Virgin (Qantas business sold out). No lounge, no meal, no explanation. If QF can do it why not Virgin? No wonder we see Virgin as airline of last resort.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney
Date FlownAugust 2020

"Cabin crew and ground staff were very lovely"

Trip Verified | All four of us got our ticket upgraded to Business Class and I have to say, I’m really pleased that we paid the extra $1200 for it. Cabin crew and ground staff were very lovely. The Virgin Australia lounge at Brisbane is very well laid out and has a huge variety of food, drinks and nibbles to choose from. On the aircraft, the seats were very comfy and had excellent leg room. The seat pitch was also pretty good too. Virgin’s IFE system definitely trumps Qantas’. Virgin have a large selection of movies, TV shows, games and music to choose from. Make sure that you have the Virgin Australia Entertainment app on your device. On Qantas’ IFE system, they have only released premiere movies which certainly isn’t bad, but those are the only movies that they have. I only had a a small problem connecting to the inflight wifi at first but other than that, the system worked beautifully. I definitely recommend Virgin Australia to be your next carrier across the skies.
RouteBrisbane to Hamilton Island
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Staff were amazing"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Perth. Staff were amazing! A big thank you to the cabin manager of this service who allowed me to upgrade to business class for free and gave me the opportunity to speak to a first officer of the airline! I would recommend Virgin Australia any day for amazing service.
RouteMelbourne to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"This was the most annoying saga"

Trip Verified | This was the most annoying saga. We were originally booked on direct flight from Ballina to Sydney on 20 March on VA1142. This flight was cancelled so we had to call VA Philippines contact centre and it was re-booked on 03 April from Ballina to Sydney. This flight was cancelled then we had to call again and was told that there was a flight on 27 March from Ballina to Sydney but it was fully booked what was the point to tell us? Finally they offered us to fly to Sydney on 04 April on VA524 from Coollangatta(Gold Coast QLD) to Sydney. Good trick as we had to cross the border from NSW to QLD and the border was closed. We had to obtain a permit to cross the boarder which we got. The flight VA524 was very basic because the Cabin Crew incharge just told us that you guys on the same boat as them, it meant that we won't get any food for lunch. Dont forget we upgraded to Business Class and paid extra. The check in agent did not mention that there would be no service in business class. Baggage collection was quick in Sydney.
RouteCoollangatta to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2020

"had to demand a refund"

Trip Verified | We booked and paid for Business Class from Sydney to Perth direct for 5 April. It was confirmed and got the seats. It was supposed to be VA559 A330-200. This flight was cancelled by Virgin 1 day after we booked and paid. They sent us an email and told us that our flight would be Sydney-Darwin-Perth. This was also cancelled the next day by Virgin. They re-booked us on Sydney-Melbourne-Perth. This was also cancelled the next day. Then they re-booked us on Sydney-Brisbane with lay over for 5hrs 45 minutes then from Brisbane to Perth. This was ridiculous as the day before, we had driven to Queensland, we could have easily kept on driving to Brisbane airport and spent the night in Brisbane, this would have saved us the cost of accommodation and the cost of business upgrade from Coollangatta to Sydney flight. We faced the real possibility of being quarantined in Brisbane for 14 days then how on the hell we got home to Perth. We cancelled ourselves the flight from Sydney to Perth and had to demand a refund which was promised to us in 3 weeks we should receive the refund. Virgin Australia yesterday (10 April) sent us an email refusing the refund and offering and giving only Future Travel Credit in a form of Travel Bank. As if we will ever fly with Virgin Australia again.
RouteSydney to Perth