Virgin Australia

"doesn’t really do what it promises"

Trip Verified | When you pay double economy and are promised a premium experience, Virgin doesn’t really do what it promises. Check in line was long with none travelling business class. It was so slow that I went to economy as it was faster. No premium through security. Only one gate agent so it was confusing that premium had to basically cut the line. On board was lovely, nice staff, full meal (I had a poke bowl) but the Mainland pre packaged cheese crackers cheapened it, surely a bread roll is nicer, plus there was nothing sweet (a mini Kit Kat would have sufficed). Luggage was the most disappointing as it took nearly an hour to arrive. Longer than the actual flight. Five flights were sharing the same luggage belt. I think they need to lift their game to ensure they deliver the premium experience they promise.
RouteCanberra to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2022

"All in all an uneventful flight"

Trip Verified | I checked in early via self check in and dropped my bag off easily. We boarded about half hour late but being a short flight it didn’t matter to me personally. Boarding was split into front and rear boarding. Full flight. Seats a little cramped but ok for this short hop. Coffee and tea were served free and entertainment can be accessed via their app. All in all an uneventful flight. My bag took about half hour to arrive.
RouteMelbourne to Canberra
Date FlownMarch 2022

"sitcom airline, but I'm not laughing"

Trip Verified | First time flying Virgin Australia since their financial demise and bail out. It's hard to tell what Virgin Australia is trying to be now, it's certainly not that much cheaper than a 'full service airline', and flying it today reminded me of why spending that bit extra turns flying from a chore to something enjoyable. The quality of the seat and cabin were poor, the seat offered no support and was cramped. No food of course, and that's fine. But does the cabin crew have to walk up and down offering over and over? The plane was ready on the tarmac on time, but the crew were running 30mins late. With people lined up to board, they announced the delay. (I noticed at a nearby gate, the Virgin crew were among the last to board the flight too). The pilot's landing was hard, a drop from the sky rather than a smooth glide. On arrival, the cabin crew announced departure of some rows by the back doors. A few minutes later they said forget that, everyone out the front door. There was a collective groan in the cabin. It appeared there were no staff around to operate the stairs for the back doors. Finally the male cabin manager looked asleep and could barely say anything to departing passengers, while one of the hosties blocked departing customers while she was cleaning business class already, only to fall over into an Economy X row and complain how late they are. A sitcom airline, but I'm not laughing.
RouteAdelaide to Canberra
Date FlownMarch 2022

"The staff were pleasant"

Trip Verified | Unfortunately the flight was delayed by 40 minutes. Otherwise. I enjoyed the flight. The staff were pleasant and well organised and apart from the late departure it was a good flight.
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RouteSydney to Melbourne

"A pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | A pleasant flight. It departed on time and the staff were very friendly and efficient. Apart from tea , coffee and water which were complimentary, all the food had to be purchased. It would be nice if they bring pack the "happy hour" for free drinks.
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"not allowing me to keep a seat I paid for is downright unfair"

Trip Verified | I have never not had an issue with Virgin. Avoided for years but this time my partner and I booked a flight to Cairns. However, my partner had to fly earlier in the week. As there is no option in the online book in to relay this I thought I’d do the right thing, not check in and get to the counter early to let them know. I assumed foolishly that as I had paid for two seats, I would still get allocated two seats and have the one next to me empty! No, because I had not checked in online all the aisle seats were taken and I was squished on my own in a middle seat! Their policy does not allow refunds which I am reluctantly forced to accept as a standard rip off by airlines but not allowing me to keep a seat I paid for is downright unfair. I loathe unfairness and will continue to boycott Virgin airlines wherever I can and urge you to do so too.
RouteBrisbane to Cairns
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Cannot remember flying this route on schedule"

Trip Verified | Cannot remember ever flying this route with Virgin and being on schedule. Staff are always great but 30min late and still sitting at the gate in a fully loaded plane.
RouteSydney to Perth
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"it has gone to the dogs"

Trip Verified | Worst airline ever, if this how they treat gold members I hate to think how they look after non-members. These flights were booked first back in May 2020, and we travelled in January 2022 in total had the flights changed 10 time and ended flying via Brisbane in both directions. After check in Virgin tried to charge $65 for my daughter to enter the lounge (despite she is the family pool) so we had to split up out family if we wished to use the lounge which was absolute rubbish. Flight to Hamilton Island were Ok, but the returning flights can only be described as awful. As we checked inn, Virgin tried to charge us $200.00 for two bags been a total of 3.5 kg over the 23kg weight despite we were 58kg in total under after much agreement they told they would waver the charge. As soon we boarded the plane, I noticed the 4 passengers in front of had removed their mask and that were they remained until we landed in Brisbane and they all walk about the cabin with no masks on and not once were they ask by the cabin crew to put the on this is absolute reckless and dangers in a time of a pandemic. Again, we had to split up our family at Brisbane and the flight was delayed. At Sydney airport as we tried to leave the plane we were told to keep a safe distance of 1.5 as we left the plane but as my wife tried to get her bag from the overhead Locke a passenger pushed up agents her, I aske him to give her some room but instead he pushed her into the seat a walked passed her we were sitting in row 3, so this was in full sight of the cabin crew and nobody said or did anything expect my wife which was very upset but the cabin crew said or did nothing. At the bag carrousel we got the last 5 bags despite we been priority. Then to add insult to injury when I checked my air miles and they had not been added and when I was told that if was 14 days since the trip and could not claim the air miles (despite the fact the website said to wait 14 day before following up on missing air miles) I have been flying with Virgin for more than 20 years and in the last 28 months it has gone to the dogs.
RouteSydney to Hamilton Island via Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Appalling transparency in regards to cancellation policy"

Trip Verified | Appalling transparency in regards to cancellation policy. It states 'Choice' flight type can be cancelled for travel credit, but does not say anywhere on the page where you choose your flights that this travel credit only lasts 12 months, after which it is no longer valid and ends up as a 'donation' to Virgin Australia. After spending more than half an hour on the phone with a call centre agent, I'm directed to the 'Finalisation' page (right before making your payment) to the checklist of 10 things including Terms and Condition, and a few other links, where there is a specific link to "Future Flight Credit" highlighting that it only lasts 12 months. Then after further argument about this lack of transparency, the agent continues to respond like an automaton about being sorry that I did not read it, and whether I want to cancel the flight. After all that, she proceeds to cancel the flight. I find out then that the 12 months validity is from the time of cancellation (or issue of credits) rather than from the date of the flight (which is in advance of a month from today) and that I would have had an extra month of validity had I cancelled a day before or up to 2 hours before the flight. At this point I ask if I should just do that, to be told repeatedly that it is not possible as the cancellation has already been processed. At this point I lose my temper and ask to speak to her manager. I am now 45 minutes on the call. She puts me on hold for another 3 minutes. Then the same person comes back on the line to say she has spoken to her manager, and the cancellation has been voided, so I am now able to cancel closer to the date. If this was able to be the case, why was I screwed over in the first place and it refused until I lost my temper and asked to speak to the manager? This is an appalling booking and cancellation policy reliant on opacity rather than transparency, what a disgusting business model. Unfortunately it is one of 2 airlines available for this flight, so recommendation for choice of flight is less relevant, as the alternative is significantly more expensive.
RouteCanberra to Hobart via Melbourne

"Absolute disgusting behavior"

Trip Verified | Cancels the flight 1 day before, moves it to a flight that doesn't suit us and ruins our international trip, we have to book and stay in a hotel and fly on the next day. They don't want to refund money to the card! Just gives it to some credit bank which is valid for 12 months only which doesn't work us at all as we don't fly that often. Absolute disgusting behavior.
RouteMelbourne to Brisbane