Virgin Australia

"very caring and courteous"

Trip Verified | I was traveling to Sydney from Adelaide for a funeral for a day and I hadn’t realized that I mistakenly had purchased the wrong date for my trip (the 29th of Feb. instead of the 22nd). With all the worry for missing the funeral and feeling so foolish for my mistake, the manager of Virgin kindly helped me. I couldn’t have gone to the funeral without his help and kindness. Even though the flight was packed and about to board, they changed my round trip ticket without a charge. I’m forever grateful. The staff were very caring and courteous.
RouteAdelaide to Sydney

"no major dramas"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Newcastle. Flight was okay, no major dramas. Landing into Newcastle was terrible! We came in rocky and fast, just before landing the pilot took us back into the air, second landing was hard, rocky way fast. Left everyone in the plane a little shaky.
RouteBrisbane to Newcastle

"a very pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Sydney. An early morning flight to Sydney. Check in and boarding were fine and the plane left on time. The staff were friendly and the coffee and juice they served was fine. A very small snack was provided, that didn't match what Qantas would offer on a similar flight. Overall a very pleasant flight with Virgin Australia.

"Lack of communication"

Trip Verified | Cairns to Hobart via Brisbane. Can’t really say good service. I thought you get what you paid for. Virgin is a bit expensive compare to Jetstar so I thought it will be better but I was stunned with a service they have. The lady took so long to check us in we got there an hour before our flights but they had an issue with our flights and they don’t explain at all what’s going on. When she was done with what God knows she was doing she just gave our Boarding Passes with only 5 minutes to spare to go through inspection and security and jump into our plane so you can imagine what kind of rush we did. Also, they didn’t let us know that our luggage will be delayed so we stand like an idiot waiting in luggage collection just to find out it was in the next plane. Lack of communication and care for customers.
RouteCairns to Hobart via Brisbane

"service very bad"

Not Verified | Bali to Sydney. Never ever fly with Virgin Australia, the service very bad! Always delayed! Flight last night at 11:55 pm and get canceled! And this morning they said depart time 7 am, we wait inside the bus for 30 minutes and they sent us back to the terminal during another delay! I recommend you never ever ever choose this airline even tho it is cheap!
RouteBali to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Flight was ok, pretty average"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Brisbane with Virgin Australia. Flight was ok, pretty average, was on time which was good and nice short flight. A bit disappointed that we weren’t offered any food for our 3 year old whom we had to pay a fee for. Not really fair for her to watch us eating. To make this worse the favoured option was gone by the time we got offered food as well as all drink options apart from tea and coffee, this was just because of seating. The male flight attendant was quite rude as was one of the female attendants, not being rude directly to us but about other passengers as well.
RouteAuckland to Brisbane
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"encountered an issue with Virgin"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Melbourne. Recently me and my husband had encountered an issue with Virgin Australia. It was while we was flying with flight VA 334, during that time the flight was scheduled for 2:55 pm but it was delayed for more 1 hr 7 min and reschedule for 4:02 pm. During the check in process one of the staff told me that we won’t be able to board that flight as the flight is ready to take off and ask us to get a new ticket for another flight so we did. So, while we were waiting for our new flight at that time they were announcing the boarding of the previous flight. Just wanna be clear regarding this matter, was it fair enough pay for the new flight tickets?
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne

"an excellent flight"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Perth. Virgin Australia is currently flying B737-800 on the East-West route which is not as ideal for a 5 hour flights. The aircraft has seen better days, and Virgin Australia needs to increase its fleet sizes and upgrade its aircrafts asap to remain competitive against Qantas. Platinum passengers are entitled to 4 free upgrades each year on domestic flight purchased on Freedom fare, which is what I had done here. The leather seat has ample of leg room and fairly wide on a B737-800. It also has an in-seat plug so passengers can charge their devices inside the aircraft. This is however not available on the economy class seat which I hope VA will include a USB charging port in its newer fleet. On an evening flight, we were served lunch/dinner menu curated by Virgin Australia in house chef Luke Perry. The food is well prepared, and the cabin crew is outstanding, with top notch service for business class passengers. The crew keeps me hydrated throughout the flight. Limited inflight entertainment but on an evening flight, I decided to take a quick nap. Overall, an excellent flight with excellent services.
RouteSydney to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Velocity is simply a waste of time"

Trip Verified | Virgin Australia (VA) touts their Velocity frequent flyer programme as award-winning and internationally acclaimed. I am a Platinum Velocity member and have had that status for two years. As a frequent international business traveller, Velocity simply doesn’t stack up, and the claims Virgin makes are pretty bogus. VA is a small, domestic Australian airline with virtually no international routes. It is not a member of any of the major alliances, and that is unlikely to change. VA is in financial dire straits (so can’t afford alliance membership fees), and its owners will not allow it to join an alliance that will cause direct competition to aforesaid owners. So when you fly internationally, even as a high status Velocity member, you will not have access to any of the benefits normally afforded to high status members of StarAlliance, OneWorld, or SkyTeam. That means if you fly economy or premium economy (as I mostly do), when you fly internationally, even on an airline that has a formal alliance with VA, you will not have lounge access abroad, quite often won’t have access to priority boarding, and cannot ever use flyer miles or status credits to upgrade. And as mentioned, when flying abroad, at best you will be on a VA partner. Never on VA itself. It then becomes even more complex: if the flight is booked directly with VA or the partner airline, there might be exceptions to these rules. If the flights are booked through a travel agent, you’re completely excluded from enjoying any benefits usually accorded to high-status frequent flyers. On top of that, VA has no lounges at any of Australia's international departure points. They buy access to a 3rd party lounge called The House (where the service in my experience has been pretty awful). But on a recent trip to China, flying a VA partner (Hainan Airlines), departing from Melbourne I was not able to get access to a lounge before departure - even as a VA Platinum member, flying a VA partner, and while in Australia. In addition, as a VA Platinum member VA provides 4 Business Class upgrades a year. Good luck trying to use them! Despite the frequency of my travel, I am able to use 1 or 2 a year at most. The T&Cs are so complex, and so clearly designed to make their use impossible, that the offer of upgrades to high status flyers should be regarded as misleading. I’ve communicated these issues to the Velocity CEO. It’s made no difference at all. Why bother? So if you are contemplating throwing in your lot and restricting your travel to one or other of the Australian airlines in order to avail yourself of the benefits accorded to high-frequency travellers, go with Qantas. Virgin’s Velocity is like Virgin Australia: a rinky-dink minnow pretending to operate in the same space as the behemoth that is Qantas. Virgin’s Velocity is simply a waste of time.
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"a dire choice in Australia"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Sydney. Virgin is such a dire choice in Australia. Firstly, my flight was delayed citing bad storms in Sydney. Apparently, the three other airlines had not heard this news. But, the fun begins before then. The airline blocks out the first 60% of the plane well before check-in so you have not much choice on seating. And then once you're about to board the ground staff ensure they make anyone who is not a 'Priority' member feel like second rate citizens. I've not encountered much friendly staff on board a domestic flight in ages. Then there's the catering. Don't pretend you're a full-service airline when an 0715 flight involves a tiny granola bar or apple. The flight home was during the complimentary drink service (1700-1900 as opposed to QF which has free drinks on Cityflyer flights after 1600). I asked for a Pirate Life beer, being one of the three options they have on offer and was advised "you can have Carlton Dry for free". A - it's not on the menu, and B - it's a pretty dire beer. This was accompanied by an, admittedly, nice dip. I also note that rather than hand out the little bottle of wines (menu price $10 or $14, again compared to QF which sells wine for $6), they offer a glass from a bottle of Hardys wine which retails for about $8 a litre at most bottle shops. On the positive side - they have good entertainment options. But, If you can't go on Qantas just go a budget airline and get what you pay for.