Tigerair

"flight got delayed for 2 hours"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Canberra with Tigerair. Got to the airport early, because you don’t want to stress. The flight got delayed for 2 hours. Two hours passed, the flight gets delayed another hour. Conclusion: If you like chilling at an airport for half the day and spend money you don’t have on food because you’re starving then look no further and fly with Tigerair, they won’t dissapoint.
RouteMelbourne to Canberra
Date FlownDecember 2018

"just not acceptable"

Trip Verified | Hobart to Melbourne. This airline should not be in business. To constantly delay and cancel flights is just not acceptable. 45 minutes before departure the flight was cancelled! This was the first and last attempt with this airline. Book with them at your peril.
RouteHobart to Melbourne
Date FlownNovember 2018

"the last time I am buying with Tiger"

Trip Verified | Horrible! Today was the last time I am buying with Tiger! Few weeks ago I was flying from Sydney to Brisbane and had a delay over 3 hours. Ok, sometimes can happen. Today I am flying from Brisbane to Sydney and the flight was cancelled! They moved me to another flight in 3 hours! Cannot believe it. I bought this flight to make sure I am fine for a meeting in Sydney. I am sure I will have some issues when flying back on Saturday, unfortunately bought return flight with this poor airline.
RouteSydney to Brisbane
Date FlownAugust 2018

"no availability to fly"

Trip Verified | I booked a cheap flight 5 months ago from Melbourne to the Gold Coast, 2 weeks ago Tigerair changed the time of the flight, then 12 hours prior to the flight they cancelled the flight and no availability to fly out that day. Is this what happens when you buy a cheap ticket. Never again will I fly Tigerair.
RouteMelbourne to Gold Coast
Date FlownMay 2018

"not very efficient"

Trip Verified | Flew Tigerair from Cairns to Sydney only because it was $10 cheaper per person than another Australian airline, shouldn’t have bothered and should have taken the other one! Had to pay for baggage for my husband and I, only 15 kg authorized. We realized the day before flying that it wouldn’t be enough and wanted to add another bag: not possible! They just don’t do it. Instead you can add extra kilos, so we tried to do it online about 10 times which didn’t work! We then called the help service the next day: fare prices had increased. I was also supposed to pay $5 fees for this change over the phone (that I got free when I said the website didn’t work the previous day). Overall: not very efficient, very slow, couldn’t send me the proof of my new registration, 34 min over the phone. I didn’t know it wasn’t a free number, had to pay over €80 ($120) for this one call. On the plane: average minus rating. Would not recommend this airline at all. Pay a little bit more and get better service quality and less troubles.
RouteCairns to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2018

"perfect for a low cost airline"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Melbourne and was impressed - great cheap ticket. As I was using auto check in kiosk at the airport a professional Tigerair check in staffer approached to assist me even though I did not need help and she put me in an exit row with extra legroom and directed me to check in counter for bag drop and instantly issued a new boarding pass. Well groomed warm professional supervisor pulled me out of line as he was free and line was busy with a family and he took me to another counter to quickly check my bags and complete check in - everyone called me by name very friendly. On Flight cabin crew were all well groomed, great uniforms - men in vests and long sleeve, women with scarves and wedding worthy hairdos - great for a low cost carrier - friendly smiles and very professional looking us in the eye and calling us by name. Flight on time - boarding was completed early. Actually liked the cloth seats - most seats are leather on low cost carriers. Liked A320 over 737 - it feels more spacious. Liked how they use front and back stairs for boarding/de-planing as it is much faster than the long slow que on other airlines which only use one door. Simple menu - but perfect for a low cost airline - you can pre order bigger meals too. Low cost terminal at Melbourne is brand new - simple and slick - very efficient - what more can you want for the price. Airline has massively improved since problems a few years ago.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2018

"this was a very unfair process"

Trip Verified | I recently flew from Canberra to Brisbane return. Flight out of Canberra was hassle free. Checked in online. Flight was good. Staff friendly. Seats comfortable. Short flight - no meals required. As I was only traveling to Brisbane for a few days to assist family move house I had only organised the 7kg carry on. I had no problems on the Canberra to Brisbane leg. On the return leg however, it was brought to my attention that the 7kgs was to include my handbag. I have never flown with an airline that also weighs your handbag. Needless to say this caught not only me by surprise but it caught many other passengers by surprise also. My baggage was just over 7kg and I was made to pay $50 extra before I could board the plane. I thought this was a very unfair process in a number of respects - firstly I only weigh 60kg and my total baggage was 8.4kg. Yet the guy in the row opposite me probably weighed 100kg and had a bag equal to mine. I realise we can’t discriminate but where is the fairness in this process? I would not fly Tigerair again without purchasing the additional baggage when I checked in. It would have cost me $12 not $50 at the gate. Tigerair must have made another $1000 at the gate from people like myself or those that just completely ignored the 7kg rule and thought they could take unlimited weight as carry on. Definitely need to consider the additional luggage costs when considering to fly with Tigerair. In the end I probably could have flown with Qantas!
RouteBrisbane to Canberra

"a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Okinawa. Trying to work with this airline is a nightmare at every stage. Their website is pathetic, to be honest, and it seems to me that their goal is to nickel and dime you to death in any way possible. I attempted to add a bag online to my reservation and the website told me it had to be added within four hours of departure. Okay, one more thing to do on travel day but that's fine. Try within the time frame and the option is grayed out, no reason why. At this point I'm on my way to the airport and don't have time to figure it out and decide to talk to the desk workers. The desk workers shrug, nothing they can do so I end up paying nearly double. Honestly, all of this would be frustrating but not so bad, I arrived safely, right? Well, I reached out to their customer service today to see what they had to say and this is what tipped me into being furious and writing this review. Their customer service portal is buggy and inefficient, the rep I'm talking to has given no name but immediately blamed me with this line: "Your flight was 18:20, our office hour is 9:00 to 21:00, in this situation I believe you can contact us 4 hours prior departure." Apart from repeated blame of this type, the rep continues to disappear from the chat for 10-15 minutes at a time, I'm actually still on the chat at this moment waiting for him/her to return. Seriously, I get that mistakes happen, I know all that customer service people have to deal with. But I'm giving them screenshots of how the option was unavailable and they're saying they don't believe me. *An hour and a half later, a manager got in and said my complaint was denied because I didn't have a full screenshot, only one of the actual page which was taken on a train en route to the airport because of their policy. I would not work with an airline that treats their customers so poorly, especially when there are better alternatives, like Peach for Asia travel.
RouteTaipei to Okinawa

Tigerair customer review

Trip Verified | Flew Sydney to Gold Coast. On the way there, this airline was fine however on the way back we were waiting in the line and we started to board. All of a sudden the flight attendant randomly comes to the middle of the line (unfortunately right where me and my two friends are standing) and asks to weigh our bags (7kgs allowed). Granted we were over our allowed weight and I would not have minded paying had she done this to everyone in the queue! We were literally the only people in the entire flight to have their bag checked. I was appalled to see people passing me with suitcases much heavier and bigger than mine! I know she’s selected us because we were 3 young girls and we were an easy target because we wouldn’t make a massive fuss (although I was happy to express my dissatisfaction). I am okay with paying if my suitcase is over, I can take full responsibility for that but if you are going to do one person, you have to weigh everyone’s! You can’t choose easy targets to get extra money. So my annoyance then continued as the women charging us took so long to do so I then didn’t have any over head space for my case and was sat the whole flight by a crying baby (no ones fault about the child) but it wasn’t a pleasant trip. Overall I would not fly again with Tigerair nor would I recommend them unless they had this issue sorted. It’s not professional. I love flying but I have never been more annoyed.
RouteSydney to Gold Coast

"the worst experience"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Singapore. Tigerair has been the worst experience in my life. I bought two tickets for a Hanoi to Singapore flight, scheduled on July 13, 2017. Departure time was 4:20 pm. When I arrived at the airport my flight had left at 1:00. I was never notified. During my long trip through Southeast Asia, there were changes in my flights with other airlines. Fortunately, Air Asia, United and Qatar notified me and I took precautions. Tigerair never did. They only sent me an “important notification” about a meal change from mutton to chicken. Even though I got a signed document by their representative in Hanoi, stating that he “will make sure” that we took a next day flight, he did not fulfill his promise. When we arrived to the airport, he just washed his hands. I needed to reach Singapure to take a flight to LA. I had to buy two last minute flights with Malindo Air and Malaysia from Hanoi to Kuala Lumpur and then to Singapure. Ended up paying 1,000 dollars. Also, I lost two paid hotel nights in Singapore. After four weeks waiting for a reply from Tigerair they are silent, even when I have a signed document from their representative. Tigerair gives a bad name to Singapure: no ethics and no efficiency. A shame. Avoid this airline at any cost.
RouteHanoi to Singapore