SriLankan Airlines

"Client service is practically non-existent"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | Horrible. Client service is practically non-existent. After one of my flights was cancelled, they put me on another flight which left 30 hours earlier, leaving me with 32 hours between my flights. Tried to contact Sri Lankan Airlines for 2 weeks, but only Facebook Messenger replied, and they couldn't help me. Contacted their phone number in Belgium and in The Netherlands, but none of them could help me. Wasted €30 calling to Colombo to stand in the waiting line for over 10 minutes. Finally, just 1.5 days before I was going to fly (and after stalking them on Facebook Messenger), they contacted me and rescheduled my second flight, so I left one day earlier than planned. On board, entertainment wasn't working at first, then, once it "worked", you couldn't watch a film because it froze all the time. Will never fly with them again.
RouteBrussels to London via Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"a terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Refunds via a 24 hour cancellation service on SriLankan Airlines is a terrible experience. Its supposed to get refunded in 14 working days as per the policy however I have been waiting 2 months for a refund. There is no central number or person you can call to get to the bottom of the issue and the call centres are staffed with people who will pass you to another department. In the end, its just emails to various depts, bookings, customer affairs ..so on without any hope of getting a response or your money back. Be warned ... the experience you are likely to encounter is terrible. We booked with Singapore Airlines at the same time as the ticket onSriLankan Airlines and had to cancel both flights due to covid restrictions in India. The Singapore Airline refund was promptly received while SriLankan Airlines is at best a basket case .
RouteSydney to Bangalore via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"SriLankan have no concept of customer service"

Not Verified | Poor service. Dirty plane. Awful food. Cabin crew were good. SriLankan have no concept of customer service. On return flight changed my flight to a stopping flight without consulting me. If I wanted a stopping flight I would have gone Qatar. Cheaper and much better. Will never fly with them again. I travel to SL at least 5 times a year.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"very poor quality service"

Trip Verified | The Flight was delayed and the SriLankan Airlines staff at the Melbourne airport are very rude and very poor customer service. The entertainment system was not working during the entire hour flight. Flight toilets are very dirty and the inflight staff do not do anything to keep them hygienic the entire 15 hours of flight time, especially in this pandemic (Covid 19) time. The food is terrible and did not have any options (since they ran out of what is in the menu) and was told to eat what was given. Thousands of dollars paid for the flight was such a waste of money and you will easily catch any kind of disease (not just covid 19) in those flights because of the very poor quality service standards.
RouteMelbourne to Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"It was a horrible experience"

Trip Verified | I travelled to Sydney via the Australian Federal government-approved pilot program from Trivandrum-Colombo-Sydney. Our travel was not a good experience. They were out of vegetarian food for breakfast and the other soya chunks given was stale and also, the paratha was rock solid and I had no food to eat, I am a vegetarian and I had nothing to eat on my journey. I was ready to pay for the food but they didn't have any on the service menu and also they were out of the veg meal like I mentioned earlier, despite them taking our food preferences beforehand, this is really terrible and I have never experienced something like this. Moreover, our entertainment system was dysfunctional- mine and the one who was sitting next to me and some others but at least their headsets worked and mine didn't. We could not watch anything and when I tried, the movie was jumping to the end, I hardly watched for seven minutes, several rebooting was done but to no avail. To top it all, they were out of water bottles too. I don't consume alcohol, so while the others substituted that for water, I did not have any. It was a horrible experience and despite paying a lump sum, there were no basic resources that an airline promises.
RouteTrivandrum to Sydney via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"cabin crew is very pleasant and helpful"

Not Verified | Heathrow To Colombo seat numbers 36a and 36c. The cabin crew is very pleasant and helpful, the screen was not working in 36a and cabin crew tried a lot to sort out the issue .. it came once after their several attempts and then it didn't work consistently, but greatly appreciate the effort that they put and it was something out of their control. Also they gave a nice service and other members in the crew was willing to help for anything we requested. Food was OK though it was a fixed menu for veg and non veg. Would like to propose more PPI (kind of apron that they can use and throw away after each service) to the crew in this pandemic. Cleaning of the table is not acceptable.
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"never book with them again"

Trip Verified | I will never book with them again. The seats are broken and dirty, the food is very poor and the bathrooms are dirty. I booked with them a trip from Male to Frankfurt with a 3 hour layover in Colombo and 3 weeks before the flight they changed one of the flights with a 12 hour Layover instead of 3 hrs. I called several times and sent emails to the customer service in order to get the transit accommodation but no one ever answered. When i went to their office in Colombo to ask for the transit accommodation they told me that as there was another flight arriving from Male during my stopover, i could not use this service. The staff in Colombo were very rude and do not help you at all. They left us waiting in the airport for 12 hours without giving us any possible facility. Although we were waiting for information at the desk, they took their coffee and talk to each other without bothering to help us.
RouteMale to Frankfurt via Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"have never seen this kind of service"

Trip Verified | I saw some of the worst customer service, delay flights at Delhi airport but no apologies, food they serve was pathetic and dry especially the Hindu meal with no other option. Staff Crew were arrogant and uncooperative. Unprofessionally treating passengers. More important thing is the airline is not following any Covid-19 social distancing. The plane was full of passengers with no seat gap in-between passengers. I am flying internationally for the last 12 years but have never seen this kind of service.
RouteColombo to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2021

"disappointed with the customer service"

Trip Verified | Very much disappointed with the customer service provided. I have booked my flight from Singapore to kochi via srilanka. On the date (Nov 11) When I booked my flight, there was no direct flight from Singapore to india. A week after booking; government announced there will be direct flights from Singapore . Since then I was contacting every week to Srilankan airlines checking about my flight status. Last week a customer service officer told me that my flight is confirmed on Dec 19th but he said there is a travel restriction for Indian passport holders till Dec 15th. That means Indian passport holder are not allowed to transit through srilanka. So since my flight was on Dec 19th he said there will be chance for extension of this restriction so he suggested me to contact them on Dec 15th to check about it if it is extended they will cancel the flights and fully refund. After that yesterday (10/12/2021) had heard that India is extending the travel restriction till jan 31st 2022. As part of that I called again to SriLankan airlines to check status of flight, this was very very very disappointing answer from their side. The customer service person told me that my flight is confirmed but since the travel restriction is extended and I am holding a Indian passport I need to check with Indian embassy whether I am allowed to enter India. I can’t understand how come SriLankan airlines is flying to Kochi since India as extended the travel restriction till 31st Jan. On the other hand if there was a restriction for Indian passport holders you are not allowed to sell tickets for them. What if I get stuck in srilanka. 2nd thing they told me that since their flight is confirmed if I want to cancel there will be cancelation fee. And it depends upon the agency which I have purchased ticket. I really felt like they are trying to make me cancel my tickets so that they don’t have to refund me. Really pathetic.
RouteSingapore to Kochi via Colombo

"this grueling experience"

Trip Verified | I have used first leg of my trip so far and it was not a good experience as no food options (halal) are offered but in flight service was extremely poor. To make it worse upon reaching Colombo, despite being a transit passenger we were forced to get a tourist visa at considerable cost. Then finding the right area to go to the transit hotel was strenuous. Finally, we did manage to find the desk, we were booked into Ramada and previously confirmed by the airline but we ended up in the Tamarind Tree hotel. This turned out to be a poor accommodation with insects crawling in the room and in terms of food no international cuisine was offered. Breakfast looked like dinner. With two nights being in transit to catch our flight to Karachi and losing sleep due to poor timings, I don't believe airline is doing anything worthwhile to reduce passengers misery. I now dread the prospect of returning to Sydney more or less in the same fashion and I am afraid I cannot go through this grueling experience. Despite writing to the airline nothing was resolved except fancy words and apologies. I will suggest prospective passengers to re think their options to fly with this airline as fare might be somewhat cheap but it is miserable and expensive as you otherwise spend on visas as well as your time spent. SL so supposed to be a tourist destination but lacks tourist centric behaviour.
RouteSydney to Karachi via Colombo