SriLankan Airlines

"SriLankan Airlines is really poor"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Doha to Colombo. SriLankan Airlines is really poor. The planes are old, the food is bad, the staff is not helpful. They run out of blankets and keep the plane really cold. Unless it is very cheap, avoid it!
RouteDoha to Colombo

"zero assistance"

(Sri Lanka)

Not Verified | Colombo to Singapore. Extremely poor service and attitude from the ground staff at the check-in counter. I arrived 2.5 hrs early at the airport. After clearing the initial security checks, arrived at the check-in counter and waited for more than 45 min in a queue which moved by 2 people for that whole time. There were more than 20 people still ahead of me at that time. I asked the staff at the check-in counter after another 20 min, as they started calling for my flight number. 3 of the check-in staff refused to help me saying I have enough time and asked me to wait in line. After another 30 min, the queue moved by another 1-2 persons and another ground staff walked away without helping me. Thanks to the kind people atound me in the next line, who allowed me to go ahead in their line to check in, I could arrive at the gate in time. I got zero assistance from the staff. Very disappointed at the standard of service and attitude of our national airline!
RouteColombo to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2019

"lack of communication and service"

(Qatar)

Not Verified | Doha to Chennai via Colombo. Very poor service and attitude at the airport by support staff. We were assured that we would catch the 7.40 flight to Chennai before boarding from Doha and that information was transferred to Colombo airport. Our flight arrived 10 minutes late and they said they received no such information. The staff also were unaware of a connecting flight and completely ignorant of customers. If the flight would have waited for 10 more minutes about 30 more passengers could have boarded the flight. Very disheartened with the lack of communication and service.
RouteDoha to Chennai via Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"all is extremely poor quality"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo. I had travelled in this airlines earlier but now things have become bad. Except for the air hostess service, all is extremely poor quality. Right from their website. You cannot change your seats or meal preference using Manage Booking. They charge for seats and once you paid and booked the ticket you cannot change. The food quality is so bad. The airport staff at Colombo for Transit passengers in clueless about their own policies. The entertainment system does not work properly. Staff provides headsets 10 minutes after take off. And collects it 45 minutes before landing and there are so many useless announcements.
RouteDubai to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2019

"do not go with this airline"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Male. I strongly advice everyone not to go with this airline! If you want to go to Sri Lanka, but only this airline is available, better change your destination! We had a flight with them from Colombo to Male. At the check-in gate they told us it is overbooked and we could not board. Due to having expensive connection flights we tried to talk to them about opportunities. We were at the gate two hours before departure. They did not care. Also Sri Lankan people were not able to go on the flight. They let them inside the airplane anyways after talking for three minutes in their language. First they offered us to fly in the night the same day, but 12 hours later. After 30 minutes discussion there was another flight in the afternoon available, how did that happen out of nothing? Our cancelled flight was still bookable in the internet while all of this happened. We tried to talk about compensation. Instead of showing that they were any sorry, they only tried to make us sign agreements, where it said that there would not be any possible compensation, for 50 Dollars Onboard Duty Free. When we asked them about it they suddenly didn’t speak English anymore! When the topic came back to compensation, they told that it was not possible at the airport. We should ask the customer support after vacation when back in Germany. Even when I asked for a contact person, the girl was not able to speak English anymore and just stared at me with a smile. I asked for a letter of confirmation that our access was denied. They pretended not to understand. Only the fourth person finally understood and gave us the letter. Afterwards they let again stand us in the airport for one hour before bringing us to a hotel in the airport. We asked for a phone call to our hotel in the destination to inform about not making it there, but they did not give us any opportunity to call. Only said we should try with our mobiles. In the hotel they gave us a lunch Voucher. The joke here is that the lunch started only after our boarding for the next flight would start. There was a Sri Lankan Airlines Lounge, so we asked if it was possible to get breakfast there because we were pretty hungry, already 2:30 hours at the gate. They denied the access. Hotel room was not prepared. The person from Sri Lankan airline just ran off ASAP, so we had no contact person anymore. So for real guys: do not go with this airline!
RouteColombo to Male
Date FlownDecember 2019

"will recommend to others"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Abu Dhabi via Colombo. Our holiday package involved 4 flights. Being a vegetarian, requested vegetarian food. Enjoyed good meals especially on flight UL302. Crew service for the flights was excellent. Only problem is the seat arrangements - very cramped. Initially was nervous about taking Srilankan Airlines. After this trip, was very happy & will recommend to others.
RouteSingapore to Abu Dhabi via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2019

"It was a worst experience"

Trip Verified | Colombo to London connecting with Air Canada to Calgary via Vancouver. Started my Journey by Srilankan Airlines from Bangalore Airport. At Bangalore Airport My luggage weighed 24 and 24.5 kgs but they made me remove my stuff from One box to another and said it will go in heavy baggage and they charged me USD 75.00. And when I asked them why they are doing like this. the lady at the Airport said it is the rule you cannot carry any excess baggage. Even the guy supervisor was telling them charge from her USD 75.00. I understand they have to follow rules , but when they put the baggage tag , they put it at London final destination even though it should have been Calgary. This is how they work. When I told her please see to it , put the tag correctly, she told me, we will do it correctly. Reached Colombo. Flight to London was cancelled to 5hrs. Staff at Colombo Airport was also not very cooperative, when they issued the boarding pass for the next flight to London, then London Vancouver and Vancouver-Calgary. Got into the flight , there again the flight was delayed for 11/2 hour, when I told the crew, I will miss the flight they said they have a unknown baggage, and the owner is not there and for security reason they are removing it. And the funny part is I was in the flight and they did not load my luggage.At Colombo Airport the the luggage tag was for London and the staff at counter was telling me to pick up my luggage at Vancouver. When I told the crew member I will miss my connecting flight, they told me, you just tell the ground staff and they will wait for you. Anyway I missed all the connecting flight. My baggage lost. It was a worst experience I had with Srilankan Airlines.
RouteColombo to London

"unprofessional and unorganised"

Trip Verified | I had a ticket to travel from Colombo to Singapore on 22nd April. Unfortunately due to the bomb blasts, I changed my flight to travel on 25th April instead. I paid the applicable charges. On 26th April they sent out an email saying they will not charge penalties for changes up to 15th May due to the situation. On 29th April I wrote to them with all the details for my refund. Since then I had called them over 10 times, sent over 10 emails and each time they say they are processing it ... or they are going to get back to be at the soonest, once they even told me that it has been approved and I will be receiving money back within 3 to 4 weeks! But nothing happens. They ask me to forward the email to their various divisions (reservations, booking, customer services, miles program) etc. as if it is my problem that they are unprofessional and unorganised. After waiting 7 months, today I decided to give up - I let them know I will not be pursuing it anymore. A big zero for Customer Service.
RouteColombo to Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Very unprofessional people"

Trip Verified | I and my wife recently traveled to Tokyo from Bangalore via Colombo. As the connecting flight from Colombo to Tokyo was more than 20+ hours I requested to book the hotel accommodation with them. Airlines initially confirmed the booking through email but when I reached Colombo, the staff said it was only confirmed for my wife, even after showing the email confirmation, they never allowed me to stay and none of the Srilankan Airlines staff members were available to sort out my issue. Please understand this was in the late evening of Nov 17th at 23:00, it really caused me a lot of trouble especially when I am traveling with the family at midnight wherein I had no Internet and local currency available. None of their staff members or local people helped me at that time, they asked me to travel here and there in the midnight but still, the issue was not sorted out. This is a big mistake and I regret using their service. To stay with my wife they asked me to pay another $87 plus tax for four hours as I have already planned the day out to travel locally. Hence, I canceled their hotel booking and took high risk in booking alternate hotel rooms for my family and also local travel wasn't available as it was a presidential election so I had to bribe the taxi driver to allow me to travel to the designated place. Very unprofessional people and poor quality of management.
RouteBangalore to Tokyo via Colombo

"very pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Chennai to Doha via Colombo. Had a very pleasant experience. The A321 has good seats with sufficient legroom and an IFE display at every seat. The cabin crew was very pleasent and delivered excellent service, the food on the other hand, can be improved. The A330 had ample legroom and good seats. All in all a good flight for the price and wouldn't hesitate from recommending.
AircraftA321-200 / A330-300