SriLankan Airlines

"Never travel with this untrustworthy airline"

Trip Verified | Never travel with this untrustworthy airline. We have been lied to and deceived by this company. They owe us money and refuse to respond. Our flight times were changed and strangely the arrival time of our connection was 10 minutes later than the departure time of that connection (obviously we were worried). In a rushed phone call 2 days before they told us we had no option but to accept this change (and an extra stopover in India for fuel). We were promised that the plane would be waiting - it did not. In fact, we checked all the flight tracking websites. They only needed to wait 7 minutes to save us 10 more hours! Not only were we unbelievably late. We were stripped of our boarding passes, sent to a different destination with no explanation of what to do from there and given no food/ drink compensation. There were code shares they could have given us and chose to rerouted us instead. Honestly pathetic actions in the first place but more over just shameless to never respond.
RouteSydney to Frankfurt via Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2022

"the booking was deleted/cancelled"

Trip Verified | My self and family came on holiday from Canada to Sri Lanka on 24th July 2022 and were scheduled to fly back on Sri Lankan to LHR on 19th August and via Air Canada AC0863 to Vancouver. I received below mail from Sri Lankan on August 10th “Dear Passenger, SriLankan Airlines regrets to inform the schedule change on UL505/19AUG. Your flight will depart CMB 0720Hrs/19AUG and arrive in LHR 1535Hrs/19AUG" On receipt of the mail, I immediately spoke to my agent in Canada who issued the tickets and was advised that Sri Lankan needs to provide me an alternative solution since this was not factored in the ticket and delay is from the Sri Lanka sector. My wife and I visited the Sri Lankan office at the World Trade Centre at 9.30am on 12th August, to reschedule my flight since I do not have sufficient time for the connecting flight from LHR (0.35mnts). I was told by the agent the delay is due to re-fueling in COK. I was assisted by a trainee staff member who was not knowledgeable and understanding her position. She said cannot help me and since the ticket was issued in Canada and there are no seats in any of the SriLankan flights, it needs to be rescheduled in Canada. Subsequently I spoke to the Air Canada office in SL and they too advised that Sri Lankan needs to reschedule my flight. At this point of time another agent came to the rescue of the trainee agent and stated that I was supposed to come within 24hrs of receiving the mail. We stated that the mail does not specify this requirement. Moreover, the next day of receiving the mail was a holiday in Sri Lanka. She was so arrogant and argumentative the way she spoke to us. The agent said she will try to get four seats on the 18th flight however we need to get the tickets issued within one hour. I said it is around 2.00am in Canada. I need to speak to my agent in the morning. She was not willing to accommodate, with no choice I had to wake my agent and speak, he said that he needs to check with Air Canada office in the morning and agent spoke to the agent in our presence and requested to hold the booking for 24hrs which she did not agree and said the system will automatically cancel the booking after one hour. My agent spoke to the Air Canada 24hrs helpline and they also said the tickets can be issued only once the office is opened in the morning. I was left with no choice, no alternative given, they instructed me to call the SriLankan call centre on 1979 every hour and confirm the booking, which was not practical at all. I tried calling the given no and had to wait on hold for a minimum of 45minutes, spoke to an agent and then another 30 mins to get it confirmed. When I called the second hour at the same wait time and when I spoke to an agent the booking was deleted/cancelled and I was not able to use the ticket to fly back.
RouteColombo to London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"The worst nightmare ever"

(Oman)

Not Verified | The worst nightmare ever. Flown many times before but this is the worst flight in my entire life. I have traveled from Muscat to Colombo and Colombo to Muscat and in both the times food was terrible and boarding place was an utter mess. Nobody was there to control the transit passengers. And airline officials didn’t help much controlling crowds. Inside the air plane no Air conditioning. Flight was horribly hot
RouteMuscat to Colombo
Date FlownAugust 2022

"What a joke of an airline"

Trip Verified | What a joke of an airline. Avoid at all costs! I booked a flight from London to Melbourne via Colombo for November 2022. Before booking, I've noticed there is a 11hr 55minute transit in Colombo. I've called their call centre and they re-assured me that a transit hotel will be provided, and for me to make the booking on their website and call them back. I've made the booking and called them. After a very long wait, the agent bluntly said, since your transit was less than 12hrs, we won't be able to provide transit accommodation. He further said the policy was changed from 8hrs to 12hrs recently and I need to adhere to the new policy. I've tried to convince him that there are many good airlines that fly the route but I've booked this after confirming with his colleague. He just said it would have been a mistake and I will have to just wait 11hrs 55 minutes at the transit area of a 3rd world airport! I've asked whether I can cancel the booking as it was booked under false pretense, but he said it will incur a financial penalty, with absolutely no empathy or common sense towards a (very expensive) paying customer! I would stay away from this joke of an airline, as legendary hospitality seems to be the last in their agendas!
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Colombo
Date FlownNovember 2021

"apathy and terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight for November in July. Booked seats, meals, baggage insurance et all. There were non existent choices for food but a 16 hour flight required some nourishment so we made do. It’s a specific visit for a day - for a wedding. A very long distance and time required for such a short visit. But one that can’t be avoided. So I book the flight and book other requirements like taxis, hotels, meals etc. including hair dresser etc cause I have that little time. And they cancel the flight 2 plus weeks later. I was offered a flight the next day. The same time in the night. After the wedding is over. Makes no sense. I explained that and was told I will get a full refund. I scramble around and find another flight an hour later than this was to depart, pay more of it and ask for a refund for the one cancelled by the airline. 12 days now. Nothing. No refund. No response. I’m going bonkers calling a pathetic call centre. There is no customer service. There is zero empathy. Zero understanding of the situation and no refund for a flight that I didn’t cancel the airline did. And forced me to pay more to get another ticket for the same day. It’s a clear situation. They cancelled the flight. And we don’t have an option to go later. It’s not a leisure visit. It’s an event. Never ever going to use this airline ever again no matter the situation or what they offer. This is the first time I have ever come across such apathy and terrible customer service. Such a complete failure of a service provider.
RouteSydney to Delhi via Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Overall my worst experience"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Customer service representatives in call centers do not even know what customer service is, a horrible experience. It's a nightmare to deal with those representatives and their communication skills are very poor. Airport check-in service was slow as hell. It took more than 30 mins to checked-in the customer in front of me. Departure was delayed by more than 30 mins, with no explanation/ apology to customers (customer service at its best). Fuel stop in India hence delayed the flight duration by more than an hour. Dinner was served while the seat belt indication is ON and at the time flight was not stable (bumpy) at all. If the cabin crew had a little bit of common sense they could have delayed it and served it a bit later. Multimedia system only worked for 2 hours (out of 14 hours) of flight time. Overall my worst experience with a commercial airline so far & It was my first and last time with Sri Lankan Airlines, thank you for providing me worst possible experience!
RouteColombo to Auckland via Melbourne
Date FlownAugust 2022

"they are just ignoring us"

Not Verified | London to Colombo. We booked and paid, and then tried to find more information on whether we could fly with an infant. Customer service was 2h waiting time and they knew nothing at the end of the wait. So I cancelled within the 24h window of free cancellation. 6 months later I have not received my refund and every time I have contacted them, they tell me it will come soon, and then there is silence. I have sat on their calls time after time, they have 2K of our money, and they are just ignoring us.
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"the service provided by Sri Lankan Airlines was top-notch"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | My mum's phone was stolen right before flying with Sri Lankan Airlines and the way they took care of her was absolutely phenomenal. For context, she had turned her back for a moment to throw away some trash and someone swiped it. She was due to fly from Colombo to Melbourne and then from there to Auckland. Her phone contained her electronic boarding pass, all her contacts, and essentially her only way of contacting me (a significant blow since I would be picking her up in Auckland). Naturally, she was beside herself. And due to several factors (that several airlines have to contend with these days) there was significant delay in the initial leg of the journey, meaning that she missed her flight from Melbourne and I had no way of knowing what her alternative flight would be. Sri Lankan Airlines was able to help in several ways. I am so grateful that the staff member in the Sri Lankan Office was able to liaise with the gate crew in Melbourne so that my mum would have my contact info and was reassured that I knew what was going on. I would like to thank the Sri Lankan Airlines staff member who conveyed that message and reassured my mum. They kept me apprised of all the updates including the alternative flight. My mum (and another passenger travelling to Auckland) were assigned an alternative flight. Because this alternative flight was departing late the next day, Sri Lankan Airlines arranged for them to have accommodation at the Holiday Inn in Melbourne. Throughout this entire ordeal, the service provided by Sri Lankan Airlines was top-notch and I can't thank the involved parties enough. I also want to thank the contact centres in Sri Lanka and Melbourne, eternally grateful.
RouteColombo to Melbourne via Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2022

"a comfortable, cost effective journey"

Trip Verified | Flew London to Sydney via Colombo. There is a long wait in Colombo however SriLankan put me up in a pretty decent hotel right on the beach to wait out my 12 hours. If you want a hotel, you have to book it through reservations and once it’s done it’s a pretty straight forward process when you arrive in Colombo. So far as the flights. A330-300 has the herringbone layout with lay flat beds which were quite comfortable and I managed a good sleep on both legs. Inflight service wasn’t outstanding, was a bit hit and miss but was ok. IFE wasn’t outstanding but had a reasonable selection of movies and tv shows sufficient for the journey. Overall, although not high frills, if you want a comfortable, cost effective journey in a pretty reasonable business class give Sri Lankan a go - I will fly with them again.
AircraftA300-300
RouteLondon to Sydney via Colombo
Date FlownJune 2022

"I was satisfied with the flight"

Not Verified | I had a pretty good experience both ways. First flight was an older plane and it was a bit shabby but acceptable. The food and service was good. Our return flight was on a newer plane and and it was very clean and comfortable. Yes, the outward flight was delayed as they had to refuel in Malaysia due to lack of fuel in SriLanka but there was not much the airline could do about that. My IFE unit didn't work going out. I read my book and slept so not a big deal for me. Overall I was satisfied with the flight. The food was quite good for economy class and staff were pleasant. I would fly with them again.
RouteMelbourne to Colombo