SriLankan Airlines

"I expected more competence from the staff"

Trip Verified | I had placed a bid for an upgrade to business class and was notified that my bid was 'under review' for the last 4 days (since the 18 January). On the day of my flight (23 January at 01.10), only when I went to check in did the airline decide to reveal to me that my bid was not accepted. Additionally, as a British Airways silver executive club member, I was told by the SriLankan Airlines staff that I did not have access to the relevant lounge. Even when I showed my executive club card, which shows my executive status, the staff member still did not allow me access. Only when I explained to the member what silver status means did he accept fault and provide me with the relevant lounge voucher. Furthermore, on the way to Colombo (from Chennai) the staff had allowed passengers to unreasonably extend their chair back and to remove their shoes (allow passengers to be barefoot) and raise their feet within the vision range of passengers behind them. As an airline that is within the same group as Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways and British Airways, I expected more competence from the staff and more foresight for the comfort of other passengers. I am extremely disappointed with the service this airline offers and am appalled by the way staff have been trained.
RouteColombo to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"the worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Bahrain. I encountered the worst experience ever. If you're travelling with kids please do not book this airline. When I requested a bassinet for my 10 month old they refused it initially, telling that the bassinet will be too small, but in reality it fit my baby perfectly. The staff has a major attitude and they are not flexible. I carried an umbrealla stroller (stroller met airline cabin specifications) to the aircraft and the staff collected it promising to return it back in the transit. They assured many times that my stroller will be handed it over as we land in Bahrain for my connecting flight since we had a long layover. But for our surprise in Bahrain they never returned it to us but has sent it to the final destination. Why would staff be so irresponsible after confirming their word?
RouteColombo to Bahrain
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Could not fault on board service"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Melbourne. Overall was great, overcrowded business class lounge at Colombo is points off. Colombo Airport is no longer big enough for the amount of passengers at peak times and the Business Class lounge reflects this, at 11pm was totally full, no spare seats and was noisy and in need of cleaning. Could not fault on board service, crew warm, responsive and nothing was too much trouble.
AircraftA330-300
RouteColombo to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"staff are so polite and attentive"

(Oman)

Trip Verified | I am a frequent traveler with SriLankan Airlines and I travel almost 5 to 6 times every year. New and very clean. Seating was good with loads of legroom. Their staff are so polite and attentive. The way they deliver food and drinks is not rushed, they are calm and patient. As an economy traveller I didn't expect the first class service. With there Frequent Flyer Programme you can earn and redeem FlySmiLes miles whenever you travel, whether with SriLankan Airlines or one world member airlines, The more you fly, the more benefits and rewards you'll enjoy. Can't wait to travel again with this Airline.
RouteColombo to Muscat
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Be very careful when booking"

Trip Verified | Be very careful when booking direct flight with SriLankan Airlines. I booked a return flight from London to Colombo for the 17th January 2020 for my wife and I. They proceed to take for the flight twice £1,145 Plus they have added an admin fee £252. I booked the flight on the 12th December and once I found out what they did, I have been trying to get my money back by emailing them six times and have placed eight calls to there non existent customer service. The fraud section of MBNA credit company has now intervene and is pursuing SriLankan Airlines for the refund they have not respond or issued a refund to date Monday 6th January.
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"SriLankan Airlines is really poor"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Doha to Colombo. SriLankan Airlines is really poor. The planes are old, the food is bad, the staff is not helpful. They run out of blankets and keep the plane really cold. Unless it is very cheap, avoid it!
RouteDoha to Colombo

"zero assistance"

(Sri Lanka)

Not Verified | Colombo to Singapore. Extremely poor service and attitude from the ground staff at the check-in counter. I arrived 2.5 hrs early at the airport. After clearing the initial security checks, arrived at the check-in counter and waited for more than 45 min in a queue which moved by 2 people for that whole time. There were more than 20 people still ahead of me at that time. I asked the staff at the check-in counter after another 20 min, as they started calling for my flight number. 3 of the check-in staff refused to help me saying I have enough time and asked me to wait in line. After another 30 min, the queue moved by another 1-2 persons and another ground staff walked away without helping me. Thanks to the kind people atound me in the next line, who allowed me to go ahead in their line to check in, I could arrive at the gate in time. I got zero assistance from the staff. Very disappointed at the standard of service and attitude of our national airline!
RouteColombo to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2019

"lack of communication and service"

(Qatar)

Not Verified | Doha to Chennai via Colombo. Very poor service and attitude at the airport by support staff. We were assured that we would catch the 7.40 flight to Chennai before boarding from Doha and that information was transferred to Colombo airport. Our flight arrived 10 minutes late and they said they received no such information. The staff also were unaware of a connecting flight and completely ignorant of customers. If the flight would have waited for 10 more minutes about 30 more passengers could have boarded the flight. Very disheartened with the lack of communication and service.
RouteDoha to Chennai via Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"all is extremely poor quality"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo. I had travelled in this airlines earlier but now things have become bad. Except for the air hostess service, all is extremely poor quality. Right from their website. You cannot change your seats or meal preference using Manage Booking. They charge for seats and once you paid and booked the ticket you cannot change. The food quality is so bad. The airport staff at Colombo for Transit passengers in clueless about their own policies. The entertainment system does not work properly. Staff provides headsets 10 minutes after take off. And collects it 45 minutes before landing and there are so many useless announcements.
RouteDubai to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2019

"do not go with this airline"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Male. I strongly advice everyone not to go with this airline! If you want to go to Sri Lanka, but only this airline is available, better change your destination! We had a flight with them from Colombo to Male. At the check-in gate they told us it is overbooked and we could not board. Due to having expensive connection flights we tried to talk to them about opportunities. We were at the gate two hours before departure. They did not care. Also Sri Lankan people were not able to go on the flight. They let them inside the airplane anyways after talking for three minutes in their language. First they offered us to fly in the night the same day, but 12 hours later. After 30 minutes discussion there was another flight in the afternoon available, how did that happen out of nothing? Our cancelled flight was still bookable in the internet while all of this happened. We tried to talk about compensation. Instead of showing that they were any sorry, they only tried to make us sign agreements, where it said that there would not be any possible compensation, for 50 Dollars Onboard Duty Free. When we asked them about it they suddenly didn’t speak English anymore! When the topic came back to compensation, they told that it was not possible at the airport. We should ask the customer support after vacation when back in Germany. Even when I asked for a contact person, the girl was not able to speak English anymore and just stared at me with a smile. I asked for a letter of confirmation that our access was denied. They pretended not to understand. Only the fourth person finally understood and gave us the letter. Afterwards they let again stand us in the airport for one hour before bringing us to a hotel in the airport. We asked for a phone call to our hotel in the destination to inform about not making it there, but they did not give us any opportunity to call. Only said we should try with our mobiles. In the hotel they gave us a lunch Voucher. The joke here is that the lunch started only after our boarding for the next flight would start. There was a Sri Lankan Airlines Lounge, so we asked if it was possible to get breakfast there because we were pretty hungry, already 2:30 hours at the gate. They denied the access. Hotel room was not prepared. The person from Sri Lankan airline just ran off ASAP, so we had no contact person anymore. So for real guys: do not go with this airline!
RouteColombo to Male