SriLankan Airlines

"they don’t take customer service seriously"

Trip Verified | Extremely disappointed but expected! When handed the headphones they weren’t working so I told the attendant that I need this sorted as I couldn’t just sit there for 11 hours, he apologised and asked if I wanted to swap seats but I explained that I can’t just move seats, my partner has to as she suffers from severe anxiety however it wasn’t taken seriously. Then I swapped seats with my partner so I can watch something to only find out the seat doesn’t recline and it’s broken. The person in front had her seat far back and even though I asked her to move it as mine doesn’t recline she didn’t. Then I complained again and asked if my partner can have free Wi-Fi for a few hours as the headphone connection wasn’t working and he said he can’t do that so then my partner ended up paying but the Wi-Fi only worked for about 15 minutes even though she bought it for 3hours. I then told her to get a screen recording and proof of how many people are using Wi-Fi and there was 3 people including my partner. I spoke with the flight attendant again and I asked him if he can move us, we got told no as the flight is fully booked, so I asked him if we can upgrade and put us in business class and his response was that they’re not allowed to upgrade us to which I replied that we paid a lot of money and expect the right service. This is the only airline that I’ve been on where they don’t take customer service as seriously as other airlines will meet the customer requirements. I don’t fully blame the flight attendant as he’s following rules however I do think he could’ve done something to make our 11 hours a little bit better.
RouteColombo to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2022

"A lack of customer service"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Hyderabad via Colombo. Worst airline, delayed for 5 hrs and there is no information to customers. A lack of customer service. Please ignore SriLankan Airlines and no customer support.
RouteMelbourne to Hyderabad via Colombo
Date FlownJune 2022

"the experience is a nightmare"

Trip Verified | This is my first time about to fly with Srilankan Airlines and so far before even flying with them the experience is a nightmare. On Monday night, I received an email about the airline cancelling my connection with them from Mumbai on Sunday the 12th. My original reservation included another airline which is supposed to fly me from MLE TO Mumbai where I connect to Srilankan with SEZ as final destination. In an attempt to resolve the issue, I called since Tuesday morning and spoke with this agent who promised to put me on their flight leaving MLE to SEZ via Sri Lanka on Saturday night, June 11, around 9PM to arrive in SEZ on Sunday June 12th at around 4AM. I was fine with that as their next flight to SEZ on June 18th would ruin the remainder of my travel back home to the USA with Emirates. She promised to reach out within 2 hours and never did. I emailed several times but all I ever receive are general email acknowledgement responses. I called the Male office yesterday to be told that the 1 person who can assist me was in a meeting. I called back several times afterwards to no avail. Finally, I was told to call at 5PM before their office closes at 5:30. Then, I spoke with the same agent who spoke to me on Tuesday just to be told to email as she is unable to help and rudely hung up. Desperate to know when I'm leaving this island, I went to the airport but Srilankan staff was not there then. Airport information gave me a number that I called and spoke with someone whom again wasn't able to help me. After chatting with him on whatsapp for hours. He finally told me to file a complaint, which I will do in addition to other things but at this point, the priority to me is to continue with my travels planned 3 months ago.
RouteMumbai to Colombo
Date FlownJune 2022

"very polite despite my little trouble"

Trip Verified | I was running late, was 5 minutes to my flight time. I was stuck at security for an hour. I have informed the security staff three times that my flight boarding time is almost over but they say it is alright. The SriLankan Airlines team then rang my mobile phone at 3 mi utes to flight departure time asking for my whereabouts. I told them I am stuck in security and they were very kind to come pick me from security area and guide me to the gate. Special thanks to Jani, he was very polite despite my little trouble. Thank you for taking the trouble to ensure that I catch my flight!
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownMay 2022

"trip was nothing but a nightmare"

Trip Verified | I have flown with Sir Lankan Airlines for the first time after the reopening of the international borders post-pandemic softened in Feb 2022. The complete trip was nothing but a nightmare and the worst ever travel experience. Though I've paid additional charges on the ticket for the flexibility of changing the travel dates, I have been charged almost full charges for such changes made due to unforeseen personal events. Sri Lankan Airlines have applied penalty charges that are almost the price of the ticket on the date of change and made me pay the full ticket price. As I booked the ticket from an agent, the agent was unable to reissue the ticket without waiving the penalty (as I have paid the additional amount already for the date change flexibility). The agent asked me to contact Sri Lankan Airlines in the city I was living when making the changes to the ticket date. I contacted them over the phone, and they said they were unable to find my booking and asked me to visit their office in person along with my ticket and travel documents. When I went there, they said they are unable to change the date, as a travel agent has issued it and they have to manually calculate the fare difference for the invoice and they don't have the authority to do. Then have asked me to contact the main branch of Sri Lankan Airlines in the country from where I was requesting the date change. When I contacted the main office, they asked me to contact the Sri Lankan Airlines office which is located in the country from where I have booked the ticket. When I contacted them, they asked me to contact the agent, as they also cannot do anything. I have contacted the travel agent and he said they can certainly take over the booking and make the changes and waive off the penalty, as the travel agent was unable to do so. The travel agent has asked me to contact Sri Lankan Airlines located in Sri Lanka. When I contacted them more than seven times. Each time a different representative have taken the call and have asked me to repeat the full ordeal and put me on hold and disconnected the call all seven times. Finally, I was able to talk to one of the agents, Shimla, and she has put me through a supervisor. After listening to everything told me he cannot change the reissuing date. When I confronted them that they certainly can, and they are reluctant to help only because they have to waive off the penalty they are saying so, he simply told me "sorry about it". I have been going through personal grief and trauma, and during this time, I have to deal with such commercial-minded humans was not an easy process. Particularly, when I have done all the right things and demanded only what I am eligible for in terms of my rights (reissuing doesn't apply the penalty, as I have paid the additional fee for the date change flexibility). I have high regard for the Sri Lankan people; however, my experience with the Airlines is an absolute nightmare!
RouteBrisbane to Hyderabad via Sydney / Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"they will play you like a piece of baggage"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience flying with Sri Lankan. They delayed my flight by 8 hours at Male, and then again by 7 hours in Colombo. All this time seats were available with other airlines but they refused to transfer us. My wife and I slept on the cold airport floor since none of the airport lounges had any vacancies and we were afraid to enter SriLanka (riots are going on). SriLankan Airlines staff were explicitly rude and hostile. They lacked basic communication skills and wouldn't even maintain eye contact. They were extremely unprofessional, not only with their work but their attitude as well. Several passengers, especially the elderly and families with young children struggled a lot, and they were given a meal coupon (as a pacifier). Cabin crew however were polite and warm during the flight, which is their only saving grace. The airline is very cheap, yes. But they will play you like a piece of baggage. Don't travel with them.
RouteMale to Chennai via Colombo
Date FlownMay 2022

"getting support from their teams is absolutely impossible"

Trip Verified | I took my parents to the Maldives as a special gift, and upgraded the return flights to business class as a final surprise. During this upgrade process, Sri Lankan Airlines suggested I apply for a tax refund. I did this, but the airlines mixed up this refund request and cancelled our return tickets instead. We were stranded, and had to find additional accommodation and flights to return home, with no support from Sri Lankan Airlines. I understand there was some misunderstanding and was only seeking a refund for the flights that we couldn't take due to this error, but getting support from their teams is absolutely impossible. Despite phone calls and personal visits to their office, they insist they can only respond to queries via emails. Their team's response to emails is not only painfully slow but also never addressing the actual query. As a result, I am looking $1,300 worth of tickets being lost with the airlines taking no accountability. It's clear that their support model is designed to leave the interaction as one-sided with the customer having no room to have a real conversation, or receive any support that doesn't fit into their basic transactions.
RouteKochi to Male via Colombo
Date FlownMay 2022

"still waiting for a refund"

Trip Verified | Booked business class tickets to India based on the cheap fares they offered. Clearly, there was a reason as to why the fares were cheap. The entertainment system wouldn't work and the seat lost power during the flight. The flight from Colombo to Kochi broke down and we had to wait in the flight for two hours whilst the engineers fixed the engine. I have no complaints about individual staff, who were all courteous. I then cancelled my return tickets as I didn't want to fly Sri Lankan again. The cancellation was made through their office in India in December. I am still waiting for a refund, even though it's been 3 months. Have sent multiple e-mails to their reservation office with no response either. Will never fly Sri Lankan again and I would recommend that you use one of the other airlines flying to India.
RouteSydney to Kochi via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"don't have words how frustrated I am"

Trip Verified | I flew with SriLankan Airlines Airlines from Sydney to Delhi and there was a transit at Colombo for 5 hours. At first when they started providing the food for being vegetarian myself I selected veg food before boarding the flight but they gave me some terrible food both the times. After we arrived at Colombo upon checking there is a transit time increased to 8.5 hours which was 5 hours when I booked. I am regretting why I have booked. This is last time in my life I flew or came to Sri Lanka. I don't have words how frustrated I am.
RouteSydney to Delhi via Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2022

"sleep-deprived and really angry"

Trip Verified | Booked for a journey from Sydney to Colombo. The flight arrived late in Sydney. They started boarding passengers at 10:30 PM. Since the airport has a curfew from 11 PM, they couldn't fly. Passengers were deplaned by 12 AM. Srilankan staff was available in counters on the departure level. They took our name and told us there would be a bus that would take us to a hotel. Waited till 3 AM to get a bus to a hotel with a sleeping baby. Once at the hotel, there was a queue to check-in and it took another hour to get the room. That morning, we got a note saying that a bus will take us to the airport at 10 AM. Once at the airport, there was another queue to check in again. That took us 3 hours. we were issued a boarding pass for a 2:05 PM departure from Sydney and a transit time of 12 hours in colombo. Once we reached the gate in Sydney, they told us there is a delay as the crew is late. Once they arrived, the delay was to clean the aircraft. Once cleaning is done, they told me they have called the caterer and food is causing the next delay. But then, passengers were getting frustrated. They were demanding answers. Instead of answers, law enforcement officers were called in by the ground staff. Finally boarded by 4:30 PM. Once we reached Colombo by 8 PM, they started blaming the weather and passengers had to wait for another 1.5 hours to deplane. We finally got out by 9:30 PM. Went to the transfer desk and without informing the people who were in the queue, they pasted a sticker with the flight number of Kochi where they were serving business class passengers. Total mess and another waiting saga. Finally, accommodation is arranged by 12 AM and taken to hotels by 12:30 AM. The hotel reception told me that the bus would be there by 4:45 AM. Flight from Colombo to Kochi was on time and we did not encounter any issues Chaos and confusion is the only thing that comes to my mind when I think of this nightmare. At the end of the journey, all of us are sleep-deprived and really angry. We will surely avoid this airline for future travels (except the one that is already paid for)
RouteSydney to Kochi via Colombo