SriLankan Airlines

"It was a worst experience"

Trip Verified | Colombo to London connecting with Air Canada to Calgary via Vancouver. Started my Journey by Srilankan Airlines from Bangalore Airport. At Bangalore Airport My luggage weighed 24 and 24.5 kgs but they made me remove my stuff from One box to another and said it will go in heavy baggage and they charged me USD 75.00. And when I asked them why they are doing like this. the lady at the Airport said it is the rule you cannot carry any excess baggage. Even the guy supervisor was telling them charge from her USD 75.00. I understand they have to follow rules , but when they put the baggage tag , they put it at London final destination even though it should have been Calgary. This is how they work. When I told her please see to it , put the tag correctly, she told me, we will do it correctly. Reached Colombo. Flight to London was cancelled to 5hrs. Staff at Colombo Airport was also not very cooperative, when they issued the boarding pass for the next flight to London, then London Vancouver and Vancouver-Calgary. Got into the flight , there again the flight was delayed for 11/2 hour, when I told the crew, I will miss the flight they said they have a unknown baggage, and the owner is not there and for security reason they are removing it. And the funny part is I was in the flight and they did not load my luggage.At Colombo Airport the the luggage tag was for London and the staff at counter was telling me to pick up my luggage at Vancouver. When I told the crew member I will miss my connecting flight, they told me, you just tell the ground staff and they will wait for you. Anyway I missed all the connecting flight. My baggage lost. It was a worst experience I had with Srilankan Airlines.
RouteColombo to London

"unprofessional and unorganised"

Trip Verified | I had a ticket to travel from Colombo to Singapore on 22nd April. Unfortunately due to the bomb blasts, I changed my flight to travel on 25th April instead. I paid the applicable charges. On 26th April they sent out an email saying they will not charge penalties for changes up to 15th May due to the situation. On 29th April I wrote to them with all the details for my refund. Since then I had called them over 10 times, sent over 10 emails and each time they say they are processing it ... or they are going to get back to be at the soonest, once they even told me that it has been approved and I will be receiving money back within 3 to 4 weeks! But nothing happens. They ask me to forward the email to their various divisions (reservations, booking, customer services, miles program) etc. as if it is my problem that they are unprofessional and unorganised. After waiting 7 months, today I decided to give up - I let them know I will not be pursuing it anymore. A big zero for Customer Service.
RouteColombo to Singapore

"Very unprofessional people"

Trip Verified | I and my wife recently traveled to Tokyo from Bangalore via Colombo. As the connecting flight from Colombo to Tokyo was more than 20+ hours I requested to book the hotel accommodation with them. Airlines initially confirmed the booking through email but when I reached Colombo, the staff said it was only confirmed for my wife, even after showing the email confirmation, they never allowed me to stay and none of the Srilankan Airlines staff members were available to sort out my issue. Please understand this was in the late evening of Nov 17th at 23:00, it really caused me a lot of trouble especially when I am traveling with the family at midnight wherein I had no Internet and local currency available. None of their staff members or local people helped me at that time, they asked me to travel here and there in the midnight but still, the issue was not sorted out. This is a big mistake and I regret using their service. To stay with my wife they asked me to pay another $87 plus tax for four hours as I have already planned the day out to travel locally. Hence, I canceled their hotel booking and took high risk in booking alternate hotel rooms for my family and also local travel wasn't available as it was a presidential election so I had to bribe the taxi driver to allow me to travel to the designated place. Very unprofessional people and poor quality of management.
RouteBangalore to Tokyo via Colombo

"very pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Chennai to Doha via Colombo. Had a very pleasant experience. The A321 has good seats with sufficient legroom and an IFE display at every seat. The cabin crew was very pleasent and delivered excellent service, the food on the other hand, can be improved. The A330 had ample legroom and good seats. All in all a good flight for the price and wouldn't hesitate from recommending.
AircraftA321-200 / A330-300
RouteChennai to Doha via Colombo
Date FlownNovember 2019

"never travel with them again"

Not Verified | On a recent flight from Colombo to Singapore there were two passengers seated in front of me who had their seats reclined during take-off. I had to tell the passengers to put their seats upright. They were not happy and I could hear them talking about me. In fact as were were landing into Singapore there were passengers still walking around. Luckily they then sat down. I don't understand why they weren't told earlier. I will never travel with them again.
RouteColombo to Singapore

"Overall a good product"

Trip Verified | Flew SriLankan Airlines from Doha to Chennai via Colombo on their A330-300's. The flights were slightly delayed which in my opinion can happen because of some problems that isn't really in their control, so can't blame them. The inflight service was very good as the cabin crew were very attentive and worked really hard to deliver amazing customer service. The seats were comfortable enough for a 5-hour flight approximately and I would say its a decent seat for the price. The inflight entertainment is good enough with a decently sized collection and I did not face any problem using it. Overall a good product and wouldn't hesitate in suggesting this to others.
AircraftA330-300
RouteDoha to Chennai via Colombo

"no wifi in the plane"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Kochi to Colombo. I was down with fever at the time of travelling. Asked for something hot (tea, coffee) to be served while they were serving Apple juice from boxes. The stewardess's replied they cannot provide as I haven't informed them earlier. They didn't ask beforehand what to be served. The menu displayed on the IFE clearly included hot beverage in it, so I didn't bother to inform them beforehand. The staff have no clue about being customer friendly. Also there was no wifi in the plane.
AircraftA330-200
RouteKochi to Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2019

"flight had left without me"

Trip Verified | One of the cheaper ones available was Srilankan Airlines. I had an option to take Qantas for $100 more! Regret not taking it. During Check in - I requested if there were any Emergency exit seats since I'm tall and was worried if I would be able to cope for the 10 hr flight to Colombo. The Lady at the counter asked me to cough up $75 for a Seat and I politely obliged hoping to have a relaxed flight. I get into the flight to find that the flight was empty and here I see everyone stretching and sleeping on 2-3 seats whilst I sit there like a goose who paid for these seats. I continue to settle down and after take off I find that my Entertainment unit wouldn't work! I couldn't switch seats because the other emergency exit seats were taken up and I had to move back to a normal seat if I needed an entertainment unit that worked. This was after 2-3 hours of dodging around where they said they are trying to reset the system. Anyways this was the least of the problems. I am not someone who complains and I can understand we are not in a perfect world and things only start to get worse. I land in Colombo and I have a 14 hour transit. I'm shocked to see an international airport in such a pathetic condition. I decide to book in to a transit hotel and guess what they have a rule that says travellers can only rent the hotel for 3 hours and it must be just before the connecting flight! Nonsense! Why would someone want a hotel for 3 hours, I escalate this and apparently this is normal in their world. I go on to check in to a lounge which lets you sit and rest for 4 hours at $20 after waiting 2 hours at their bank which is unmanned mostly. This is a substandard airport who don't comply with the basic requirements of an international airport. No phone network, no Wifi, no credit card facilities, no currency exchange either. They gladly announce that the flight is delayed or cancelled depending on if they can restore the issue. I find out then that the flights are in poor condition and often delayed or cancelled and advised that the flight leaves in 4 hours and we meet at the same departure lounge. I meet the SriLankan Airlines Manager in Colombo and he confirms that its 4pm at the same lounge. I wait and I go to the lounge 30 mins ahead. Guess what! They said the flight had left without me from a different gate! Apparently its a silent airport and they had a few fools walking around shouting my name and I was sitting right outside the food court! Frustrated. I go to the customer service and I'm told that the next flight to my city is in 2 days. By Now my frustration level was at its peak and I couldn't wait in Colombo anymore. I ask if they could put me on a different flight to a different city. They oblige but I had to book new flights online to the neighbouring city and cough up $300 for it. Well I wanted to just get out of that place. I arrive into India and thank you SriLankan Airlines I get my 2 month old suitcase with all 4 wheels broken.
RouteMelbourne to Coimbatore via Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2019

"offer very competitive fares"

Trip Verified | Sri Lankan Airlines is a gem. A great way to fly into South India with Colombo Airport such a good hub. I found the service close to perfect on board with very tasty choices and my favourite Chilean wine. The crew were professional, perfectly groomed, and very attentive. The first time in my life I've been offered a nice cup of tea immediately after taking my seat - and about 8 varieties to choose from. The Serendib Lounge at Colombo is a great place to work in with wonderful food choices. I selected Sri Lankan partly because its now part of One World but was also surprised to see how many places in India they fly to, so this is a very good alternative to mainline India carriers. However, their website needs to promote these opportunities a lot more, as I only found this out by accident and a bit of detective work. Finally they offer very competitive fares with business fares often less than some airlines offer in economy on my flights anyway. Needs to be 4 stars at least.
AircraftA330-200 / A320-200
RouteSingapore to Coimbatore via Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2019

"crew delivered faultless service"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew Dubai to Jakarta via Colombo on 5-6 October 2019. Check-in on line and got original BPs in Dubai transit including 2 more flights (with Malaysia Airlines) beyond Jakarta. This meant that I did not have to queue up again at a transit desk in Jakarta, which was very nice. Both legs were on old A330-200 aircraft where there were some minor faults in the cabin (no headlight, seats worn). Lie flat chairs in 2x2x2 configuration. All passengers who wanted could have a whole pair of seats on first leg. Business class was only 30% full and one could change seat if desired. Amenity kit provided. Cabin were clean and the crew delivered faultless service onboard with excellent, delicious food. I had two main courses, first spicy fish dish from Sri Lanka, and then mutton bryani of Indian style. Beers offered poor but wines and champagne were fine. Elaborate menu and drink list cards provided. Lounge relayed to in Dubai has now unfortunately changed from Ahlan to the Merhaba lounge which is useless as it is always crowded. Thus, I went to British Airways lounge instead as I have Oneworld status. In Colombo it was Serendib Lounge which is a cozy little lounge with good foods and tarmac view. Had shower and a cheese plate. 2nd flight were full in business. The breakfast was divine: a sophisticated local Sri Lankan Milk Rice trio with carry fish and pickles. The teas they serve are among the best in the air. The beautiful FAs make up for any shortage on the hardware as they are kind, caring, and attractive. Both flights on time. Can't really fault this airline and they are becoming my favorite when they have good online offers. The CC are so warm, focused, and truly caring. This business class trip rendered high value for money, around 1000 USD for a return trip which rendered lots of FFP-miles.
AircraftA330-200