SAS Scandinavian

"Terrible ground staff"

Trip Verified | Terrible ground staff for this airline. We arrived early to check in at the counter at FlySas in Milan airport. When we arrived, the Plus/ business counter was empty so the lady there signaled us to come forward for check in. During check in, she insisted that we do not have Schengen visa for denmark but just the spain visa. We told her our visas are Schengen visa granted by Spain embassy and she gave the attitude of no we were wrong by shaking her head and said “no, no”. She then checked again and then realised we actually did have the Schengen visa. We were a group of 3 people with 4 luggages (2 checkins and 2 carryons). I purchases Go smart packgage for 2 people (1 checkin and 1 carry on each) and my sister with Go light (no luggage). The counter lady kept asking if my sister had no luggage and she said no (my sister really didnt). As we arrived at the boarding gate, I was tired and asked my sister to help carry the carry on luggage, thinking that she can help since my ticket has the carry on baggage. The same counter lady noticed that I didnt have a carry on when I boarded but say nothing and immediately stopped my sister when she boarded. She demanded my sister to pay. I said that the luggage was mine and I am eligible for the carry on but she kept saying that we are doing tricky things and threatened to cancel our tickets. I am very puzzled by this because why would my ticket be cancelled because of a carry on. I tried to reason with her but to no avail. She was loud and persistent in saying that my sister and me were trying to do something bad. I know what it was my mistake to not take the luggage on my own but scolding and threatening us were uncalled for. I really felt that I was being picked on from the moment we checked in. I felt so bad. Nonetheless, to avoid missing the flight, I paid the 29 euro fee. Big lesson to learn. Bad airline, acussing staff with no way to reason with. Avoid at all cost!
RouteMilan to Copenhagen
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"See you never again SAS"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | I recently had the unfortunate experience of flying with SAS and, to put it mildly, it was nothing short of a financial nightmare. The airline not only failed to provide reasonable service but also managed to squeeze every penny out of my wallet with their outrageous and unjust overcharging policies. My frustration began when I checked in with an "oversized bag" for the return flight (same as first flight). The dimensions of my bag were well within the limits specified by SAS for an underseat bag. However, it seems like the staff at desk has magical eyes with ruler integrated that somehow transformed my perfectly acceptable bag into an oversized monstrosity, at least in their eyes. I had the perfect 40 cm x 30 cm x 15 cm (length x width x depth). To add insult to injury, the customer service was absolutely abysmal. Instead of addressing my concerns and providing a reasonable explanation, the SAS staff seemed more interested in brushing off my complaints and deflecting blame. It's disheartening to see a company show such blatant disregard for their customers' satisfaction. Btw, 2 hours delay. Lovely experience. Good thing I expected that from a mediocre company and i planned everything right to get to connect flight on time "The fee is only charged in the event that the under-seat bag is bigger than the maximum size allowed. As this is the only case in which the fee is charged we have decided to uphold our decision to not reimburse the fee." But good thing that they forwarded my complain. See you never again SAS.
RouteAlta to Oslo
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"staff and service was awful"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Did a online check-in, but despite that the line and open counters at the airport was an disaster. The bag drop took 1,5h with 10 people ahead of me. All with tags and online done prior queuing up. During the 12h20min flight the staff was only seen during a very uninspiring meal service. 1,5h after takeoff and 2h before landing they were in the cabin. The rest of the flight they were gone. No additional water offered during this long flight. I was looking into premium economy and was happy not getting an upgrade against the points. It would not be worth it . Seats were not much different and the same disappearing act was done by the stewardesses in the premium cabin. The only positive I have to say is that the plane was new and clean, but the staff and service was awful. Not even soft drinks or water was offered free of charge ( if you could get hold of it) The movies offered was old and not very organised.
RouteBangkok to Copenhagen
Date FlownJanuary 2024

“they refuse to even compensate”

Not Verified | I rarely write reviews but I have taken time to write this one because they are just ridiculously terrible. Flights delayed twice, first from OSL to TOS, they changed my flight from 2 stops to 3 stops last min, I had no choice but accept the change. Then it happened again when I returned from OSL to Zurich, they delayed the first leg, caused me to miss the second flight in OSL, we had waited in a long line in OSL to get rebooked, I was in the line for 2 hours! We were forced to stay at OSL airport hotel over night, ruined my entire schedule, then now I just received email from SAS refusing to compensate the hotel cost and food, the excuse they give is that this delay was out of their control. I was told by the SAS Rep at OSL airport to book a hotel and reimburse later, now they refuse to even compensate for the inconvenience caused by them. Avoid this airline at all cost!
RouteZurich to Tromsø via Oslo
Date FlownDecember 2023

“crew was the rudest I have encountered”

Trip Verified | I shall do everything I can to avoid flying with this airline again. I should have read the reviews but mistakenly thought they'd be good. What an error. I have flown 16 times this year (about my norm) and I have to say that the crew, particularly on the Tromsø to Oslo flight was the rudest I have ever encountered. I was already stressed as the plane was delayed at least half an hour and my brother had contacted me to say my 97 year old father was very ill. Having Emergency exit seats we obviously didn't have any items with us on seating but, once in the air, my partner handed me a few things, including my very expensive Sony, wireless, mouse cancelling headphones. I didn't really want them and out them in the seat pocket. On landing the Gate wasn't ready and we sat on the runway. Anxious to find out what had been happening with my father I thought I'd see if the airport WiFi extended as far as the plane. Brilliantly it did so I entered into a WhatsApp conversation with my brother. This delayed me leaving my seat so I was one of the last to disembark. When we got to the hotel I was really upset to find I had left the headphones in the seat pocket. They have disappeared. So... as I know they were there (seat 12A) the crew at the very least didn't do their job and check seat pickets, or, alternatively, stole the headphones! Once at the hotel myself and a member of staff there spent an hour trying to contact SAS yet it seemed impossible to alert them immediately. I had to fill in ridiculous forms and then went to Lost and Found 2 days later. No headphones. Repeated this process for Stavanger, the plane's next destination, with the same outcome. Totally inexcusable as they were there at the end of the flight. To reinforce my view of SAS we were due to fly out of Oslo 3 days later. We had our boarding cards and were waiting to be called to the Gate when we had a text telling us the flight was cancelled!! It took us 5 hours to try and find ourselves a solution to the mess created. As above I was very anxious to get home by this time and alternate seats were offered 2 days later on Christmas Eve evening. Would that flight have been cancelled, too? In the end we booked ourselves a train to Stockholm and flew back from there 24 hours later. SAS staff at Oslo were frazzled and, again, rude! Too many people and not enough staff. We had to wait nearly an hour to get our luggage back and gave up and booked our own hotel as the length of the queue and speed it was moving woukd probably have meant we wouldn't have had a bed for the night! No apologies. No clarity as to why the flight had been cancelled. The ticket mavhine that allocated a place in the queue was out of paper and no one seemed to want to resolve this. Just a shambles!
RouteManchester to Tromsø via Oslo
Date FlownDecember 2023

"more interested in spending time chatting"

Trip Verified | The aircraft was a newer A320 with the same uncomfortable hard seats as what we flew up to Kiruna on. Kiruna Airport did not have a lounge so we had no lounge access. On board, the crew were a younger crew who served the food then were more interested in spending time chatting. One crew member was making far too many announcements in both Swedish and English and his voice was beginning to get annoying. We were in SAS plus and were provided with a Scandinavian style cheese bread which was adequate. We arrived and left the aircraft 10 minuted early, but it took nearly an hour for our bags to be delivered.
AircraftA320 NEO
RouteKiruna to Stockholm
Date FlownDecember 2023

"seats were very hard and uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | We flew in SAS Plus. The lounge was great and great service. On board, we had an older mature cabin crew who were great and did a great (and professional) job looking after the passengers, including dealing with a medical emergency. A we were in SAS plus, we were provided with some food and drinks. The seats were very hard and uncomfortable (a wooden seat would have felt the same). I pity anyone flying on these aircraft for longer than 90 mins. We landed early and fast and our luggage was delivered promptly.
RouteStockholm to Kiruna
Date FlownDecember 2023

"SAS appears to be more like Ryanair"

Trip Verified | My host booked my flights with the Lufthansa because I wanted to avoid airlines such as SAS. This is due to my past bad experiences. Long-distance LH flights are better than such SAS flights. But sadly my return LH flights got cancelled and was rescheduled with SAS. But I noticed a qualitative difference between LH and SAS. My LH tickets were expensive by the way. And I was even a bit angry with LH because I wanted to avoid SAS and the like. The passengers in the economy class were packed like sardines. They had no choice of food. Food was minimal and miserable (i.e., for long-distance flight). I asked if I could have some water instead of tea/coffee but the woman pointed out to my almost empty bottle of water. Non-alcoholic drinks were bare minimum. No alcohol (unless one buys it). Compared to LH, SAS appears to be more like Ryanair. And of course there were other technical problems, delays, last-minute rescheduling, and so on. What is striking to me is what seems to be SAS’s ideology/policy of miserliness/stringencies/pettiness towards its customers: Extract the maximum from the customers by offering the bare minimum. I do/cannot not know. This may indeed guarantee the airline’s success and prosperity. As a lay person, one would have thought that small gestures of hospitality, generosity, and discretion would actually not damage the success of the airline. If I had a choice, I would never like to choose SAS. So sorry.
RouteBoston to Copenhagen via Hamburg

“friendly crew throughout”

Trip Verified | Nice modern aircraft and friendly crew throughout. Seemed well organised, I'd definitely use SAS again. Flight was on time and no schedule changes.
RouteCopenhagen to Heathrow
Date FlownNovember 2023

“all privileges of business class is gone”

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Business class now more crowded and stressful to fly than economy. SAS in Norway particularly (but also Sweden) has this ridiculous policy of basically selling gold card membership to everyone. All you need is an Amex Card and a second Eurobonus credit card (total cost for the cards is 350 Euro per year), fly twice and bingo you have a gold card. Massive deflation effect on actual gold membership. And a total rip off for poor dummies still paying for business class tickets, thinking they confer any kind of comport privileges. When boarding you see a third or more of the passengers get on the plane during business class/gold boarding although there is only 6 rows of business class? Last time I flew from Bodo to Oslo. When I came onboard with my economy ticket, as the first person after business boarding, half the plane was full!! But only 7 rows of business class. So the privilege of early boarding is useless. Much more crowded when boarding during business boarding. In fact, all the privileges of a business class ticket is gone due to this policy. Long lines and fewer screening machines at priority security check. You can see the economy security line going much faster. Early boarding is more crowded than economy boarding. Sitting in SAS Oslo Airport Lounge is far more crowded, loud and stressful, than sitting in nice lounge chairs located at most gates. This lounge in particular can be quite a traumatic experience during peak hours....Hordes of children screaming and running around...sitting is more crowded than on the plane....way too warm... So paying for actual SAS business class ticket hasnt been worth the money for a long time. But now due to Gold card deflation it has become MORE expensive, LESS efficient, MORE stressful then economy.
RouteZurich to Bodo via Oslo