SAS Scandinavian

"I will not fly again with SAS"

Not Verified | The tickets were averagely priced, but I thought I will try SAS airlines, I have flown before always Lufthansa, but I wanted to try different airlines for a change. I originally flew from Vienna, with connecting flight from Copenhagen to Chicago via SAS. I checked in online before boarding, and everything looked ok, but when I got to Copenhagen and wanted to check on my flight as I had an almost 7-hour layover, I had to check in again. I went to the SAS customer service desk to get boarding passes and to ask for their lounge as I paid for it. They told me, the luggage was ticketed wrong, but they will fix it and put it on the right flight. Took the numbers of my tickets, seen photos of my luggage (thank God I took them before leaving) and she reassured me, they will be on the flight with me. Came to Chicago and only 2 out of my 3 bags arrived (it was me and 2 kids, so one bag for each). I went to the SAS luggage claim which was Wednesday, and they told me I should get it most likely by Friday. Well, Friday came, I received a notification that the flight with my luggage landed, but that was the last of it. I called Saturday, but nobody was there. I called the 800 number, but they were less than helpful, and the guy even hung up on me, when I tried to find a different number on how to contact them. I mean, they have flights on Saturday as well, so if the customer service does not operate in the airport on Saturday, where the people claim their luggage if lost? So, I rather stick with Lufthansa, but for sure I will not fly again with SAS. Recommendation: if you have a connecting flight, make sure you go to customer service with your luggage even if you already checked in online, do not go to the Self-help Kiosks and make sure your tags have the final destination on it. It should save you a lot of headaches.
RouteCopenhagen to Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2019

"could not take my hand luggage"

Trip Verified | London to Copenhagen. This airline ticket cost me over £230 (on way) and I could not take my hand luggage with me on the plane. SAS is similar to Ryanair and the staff are rude and unhelpful. I would say even easyJet is better. So avoid SAS! Unhelpful rude staff.
RouteLondon to Copenhagen
Date FlownAugust 2019

"managed to lose my baggage"

Not Verified | Helsinki to Boston via Copenhagen. SAS managed to lose my baggage going to my destination and now coming back home. When I talk to a SAS representative, all I get is that I have to call Boston airport lost luggage number to see if my luggage is there. Aren't they supposed to do that since they lost all 3 of my family's suitcases? When I ask about filing a report to get a PIR# that I need, I was told I don't need to do it until Boston tells me my luggage is lost. Newsflash: It's already lost since SAS failed to get it from the transfer desk to the correct flight to make it back to Houston. They are unwilling to help or take responsibility. We've filed a complaint with SAS but are yet to hear from them. That seems to be the trend from what I have read online. Really disappointed in the way this is being handled by SAS. My advice: don't fly SAS unless you only have a carry on.
RouteHelsinki to Boston via Copenhagen
Date FlownJuly 2019

"prices are very misleading"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Athens via Copenhagen. This airline is a joke. Firstly, when purchasing the ticket, I picked this option because it was one of the lowest rates traveling from San Francisco to Greece via Copenhagen. It was unclear that this included no baggage ($80 each way), can't pick seats (until 24 hrs before flight), pay for your drinks (on the 11 hr flight) and pay for food and drinks (on the 4 hr flight). By the time you add this all up (including purchasing seats for all 4 of my flights for fear of being put in the middle), the ticket is now almost $500 extra. Oh, and to avoid milling around the airport for 12 hours in Copenhagen lay over, I stayed at an airport hotel. The seats are tiny, there is no place to stand in the aircraft (except right outside the toilet doors in a passage about 3 ft wide, and hardly any leg room. The prices when purchasing are very misleading, airlines like SAS are squeezing in more people and offering less amenities. Not ok!
RouteSan Francisco to Athens via Copenhagen
Date FlownJuly 2019

"it is truly unprofessional"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Beijing. The flight to Beijing was overbooked and SAS put around 30 people to stand by ticket to maximise their profit by waiting someone to bid to upgrade themselves. This is understandable in a business perspective, but however their check-in system could not handle this issue and it made that I could not leave my luggage, despite the fact that I arrived twelve hours before the actual flight departure time. Their incompetent ground personnel did not aware of the issue and made me stand for diverse queue in the airport terminal several times, and it is truly unprofessional. Unfortunately, the employee has not made any apologises. The customer service is completely ignoring this issue and it is questionable whether the company cares about any sort of customer relation
RouteCopenhagen to Beijing
Date FlownJuly 2019

"the airline is not worthy"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Milan. Due to the strike of airline company’s own pilots, my flight was cancelled, and the airline’s customer service was unreachable due to high volume of the calls. The airline did not arrange alternative travel route so I had to organise my own. When compensation was requested, SAS replied in the following way: “The judgment does not however change the fact that a lawful strike still is still considered as an extraordinary circumstance. A lawful strike, which arises when the employees use their constitutional right is not part of the normal exercise of an airline. Scandinavia is well known for its collective bargaining system and labor conflicts arise seldomly. Within this system and through collective agreements the employer’s and the employee’s representatives agree between themselves on wages and working conditions in an equivalent way. SAS’ interpretation of the judgment is in line with the interpretation in earlier cases by the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish Alternative Dispute Resolution Bodies. ” They put their own claim and agenda to their affected customers rather than apologising for the inconveniences caused. Therefore, it is right to draw a conclusion that the airline is not worthy.
RouteCopenhagen to Milan
Date FlownMay 2019

"drink rules ridiculous"

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Hong Kong. I find the drink rules ridiculous. One free non-alcoholic drink, the second (or first alcoholic drink) to be paid for. An 11-hour flight doesn't pass the bar for good service in my book. I am not an alcoholic and drank my free drink only but prefer some red to send me to sleep. The staff were friendly. The only complaint there is that the complementary non-alcoholic drink was served about 30 mins before the meal. The meal, however, included a water bottle - and I don't mind water. The meals were very good for being economy class. The seats were pretty average, which most economy seats are. 6.2 and you are feeling it afterwards. No better or worse than most other operators. My main grief was the drinks, and yeah, no nuts with the pre-dinner drinks (as there are none - they were pre-dinner to save for dinner). If you would still like some nuts, or anything else, pay for it. The Sydney to Hong Kong leg and back was with Cathay, completely flawless, would give Qantas a run for it.
RouteCopenhagen to Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2019

"legroom on SAS is very tight"

Not Verified | New York to Copenhagen. We were happy with our flight. However legroom on SAS is very tight. We overcame this problem by paying $60 for extra legroom seats. It was great. A good deal compared to Austrian who charge $100 and United about the same or even more. The crew were very polite and pleasant. The food was good except for the fact that they served chicken thigh - the rest of the meal which was very good. My advice: try and book an extra legroom seat. Otherwise it's a problem. In flight entertainment was excellent.
RouteNew York to Copenhagen
Date FlownJune 2019

"My baggage was lost"

Trip Verified | Munich to Shanghai via Munich. I flew with SAS many times, always with big satisfaction, but this time was different. My baggage was lost already in starting airport. According to the information I got at the Desk, in arrival Airport, the baggage was never put on the plane. The following week, my return, I had to fly again. The only thing I could do was buying what I lost. To be sure, I was acting correctly, I called SAS many times and every time I was told to buy new stuff. After 5 weeks the lost baggage was found. I have requested SAS to support me in the expenses I had but nothing. Even if the baggage arrived 2 weeks later than the 3 weeks Air company is claiming as std window to recover from any mis-service, nothing. Even if claiming that the operators told me to buy new stuff ... nothing. I'm really disappointed, in seeing how SAS is supporting its clients in the bad situations, which by the way can happen. The only thing I cam do is fly with somebody else. So SAS team, I can promise you, I will never ever fly with you.
AircraftA340-300
RouteMunich to Shanghai via Munich
Date FlownJune 2019

"lost my bag for a day"

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Visby. Flew on twin-engine turbo prop. Flight was delayed because the plane was refueling. SAS should have had the plane ready at the scheduled departure time. The flight was uneventful, but the airline lost my bag for a day. I had to buy clothes and two hours after I purchased the clothes, the airline delivered my bag.
RouteStockholm to Visby