Malindo Air

"Still have not heard back"

Trip Verified | Malindo Air cancelled our flights due to COVID-19 requested a refund or vouchers in April. Still have not heard back. Have sent multiple emails to customer service and they keep saying that they have forwarded them on to the correct department. Then nothing. Just want email back confirming they are processing them. Not sure how you can rate them if they didn’t fly you anywhere.
Date FlownMay 2020

"hire to create the problem"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Today I just received an email about my flight cancel and without given you option then direct replace to another fight which almost 3 hours later from the original schedule. So I sure I can’t accept as I am going to miss an important meeting if I accept the new schedule flight. So I call to customer care to make complaint and hope can solve the problem. But one girl try to challenge me said that when you booked the flight you must to accept our flight cancellation policy. Customer care is to solve customer problem but she seem like is hire to create the problem and challenge the customer.
RoutePenang to Subang
Date FlownJuly 2020

"never fly by this airline again"

Not Verified | We had booked 2 tickets for Perth to Kolkata & return from Kolkata to Perth. Malindo cancelled the Perth to Kolkata flight & offered another one after 2 days which we did not take as we had booked for a short stay in India & did not want to waste our days. So we went by Thai Airways instead. But while coming back we kept the ticket & came back to Perth with Malindo. They have issued us travel vouchers for the unutilized part of our ticket which do not cover the price we paid for our ticket. Also I paid more for my ticket(25 KG baggage charge) than my husbands (20KG baggage charge). But I have got less refund amount on my voucher than my husbands. I complained to them several times by sending detailed emails & calling multiple times but after 3 months my problem is still not solved. Every time a new person answers the phone or a new person deals with the email & they do not bother to go deep in the matter & give stupid replies which is very frustrating. They do not even have a toll free no. One of the customer representative emailed me that the refund amount should be $355.99 which pertained to my husband's ticket. But the actual travel voucher amounts are $340.89 & for my voucher it is $$338.39 which does not make any sense. We will never fly by this airline again.
RouteKolkata to Perth via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMarch 2020

"This is disgusting"

Trip Verified | We paid $842 for 2 return flights from Brisbane to Bali for my birthday in July. After Covid-19 hit and travel was restricted, we applied for a refund as my husband has a lung condition so is at high risk if he catches the infection. We explained we would be unable to travel until a vaccine was available and that travel vouchers would be of no use to us. After waiting 2 months, we tried to call the Australian office but it had been closed. We emailed customer care and 2 hours later we received an email reply containing 2 travel vouchers for $152.72 each which need to be re booked by May 2021. We are told these were sale priced tickets which are non refundable and that we can only get back the Australian taxes we would have paid for this flight. This is disgusting, it was not our fault that the pandemic had forced these restrictions! For a company to take our hard earned money, be unable to provide a service and only offer such a pitiful amount on useless travel vouchers we will be unable to redeem in time, is shameful and theft. Travel insurance wont cover this and we are forced to to complain to the Malaysian consumer complaints commission in an attempt to recoup our loss. They should not be allowed to get away with taking peoples money for nothing.
Date FlownJuly 2020

"my emails have been ignored"

Not Verified | My ticket was cancelled due to the Covid-19 outbreak and I was asked to submit a refund application. It has now been 4 months all of my emails have been ignored and I am not receiving any response or status as to what is happening. At this point I have accepted the fact that I have been cheated and scammed.
RouteSydney to Denpasar
Date FlownJune 2020

"Poor in every possible aspect"

Not Verified | April flight from Brisbane to Denpasar cancelled by airline in March. Full refund requested upon notice of cancellation, however got absolutely nowhere after several emails. Currently I have been palmed off to the 'AU Team' who have failed to respond to several emails for nearly 2 weeks now. Not holding my breath for a refund but will never do business with the airline again. Poor in every possible aspect.

"good value for money"

Not Verified | Malacca to Penang. Nice little airline from Malaysia. The short flight on this ATR 72-600 wasn´t bad. No wifi or any entertainment. Very nice food served there. Overall good value for money!
AircraftATR 72-600
RouteMalacca to Penang
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Disgusting experience"

Not Verified | Disgusting experience - do not book a flight with this airline. Prior to the Covid-19 being declared a pandemic, Malindo decided they were no longer going to fly this route so cancelled the flight. I requested a refund and was told we needed to wait 30 days for this to clear. After numerous phone calls, emails and a wait of approx. 50 days we were issued with a credit note - to be used within 6 months. They cancelled, not us - therefore we are entitled to a full refund. Their 'customer care line' (the joke is in the title as there is zero care!) hung up when I called chasing my refund. I was told for 5 weeks I would be receiving a refund to my credit card but they then issued a credit note to be used during a pandemic! Do yourself a huge favour and book elsewhere.
RoutePerth to Colombo via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMarch 2020

"refund as a travel voucher"

Trip Verified | I was meant to fly to Bali on April 22, 2020 but, of course due to Covid-19, the flight was cancelled by Malindo Air. I emailed them immediately to get a refund and since then my customer service experience has been a nightmare. First they took over a week to respond, only to send a generic email redirecting me to a form I needed to fill out requesting the refund. At no point leading up to this (or written anywhere on the form) did they inform me that the refund would be given in the form of a travel voucher. So, I filled the form out and waited for my refund that would never come. 22 days passed without hearing anything. During this time I emailed them twice to no reply. Finally, after my 3rd email (in which I requested a personal response specific to my situation and request), I received another generic response telling me that my request had been processed and I will be receiving my refund as a travel voucher. I replied saying that this is unacceptable and again asked for a cash refund in accordance with their policy. Once more, after a week of waiting, I received yet another generic email back explaining that their policy actually states that refunds are given in the form of vouchers and that under no circumstances would cash refunds be given. Furthermore, I was advised that I would only have 6 months to use the voucher from date of issue. After looking into this further, I found that Malindo changed their refund policy on March 17 of this year. This is after they must have realized that travel would be shutting down, they would have to start cancelling flights on their end and refunding money to their customers, this is downright despicable. I urge anyone considering using this airline because their flights look cheaper: don't. It's not worth the headache and frustration if for some reason you're unable to travel or your flight gets cancelled by the airline itself.
RouteMelbourne to Bali
Date FlownApril 2020

"Poor service, poorer customer service"

Not Verified | If I could give any airline a 0/10, this would be it. I'm a very frequent traveller and my only advice for this would be don't even bother with this airline, regardless of the price. Poor service, poorer customer service and truly an example of how a company acts in bad faith. I submitted a request for refund in accordance with the terms and conditions stated on their website after my flights were cancelled and tried to call their customer service hotline to no success. One month later I am informed that they are issuing me my refund in the form of a voucher in accordance with their refund policy which was changed recently without notifying customers. Had to wait another 2 weeks to get any response from them on my further questions and the staff were completely unhelpful. Be warned, this is truly a scam airlines and their terms are so badly drafted you're forced to go into details to build your argument (also I note that they sneakily fail to include the effective date of their terms on the website so you can't tell when they update - thank heavens for screenshots and pdfs). Not worth any price if you asked me.
RouteSingapore to Nepal via Kuala Lumpur