Bangkok Airways

"charged for luggage over 20kg"

Trip Verified | They should tell you ahead of time for delayed Luggage. and you get charged for check in luggage over 20kg. If you are taking the last afternoon flight from Chiang Mai to Koh Samui, your checked-in luggage may not arrive on time since the layover at Bangkok (you will stop at BKK) is only one hour and 15 minutes. You may waste an extra 40 minutes waiting in line after you've discovered that your luggage is not on the carousel. It would be nice if they told you in advance to expect this and to fill out the form via computer of where your hotel is located at for the luggage delivery. You can just go straight to your hotel and get your luggage delivered in the morning. Bangkok Airways had poor communications skills. They charge you an extra 1000-1500 Thai Baht (depending on which airport you fly out of) for anything over the permitted 20kg amount. I flew from BKK to Chiang Mai (paid an over-limit fee); Chiang Mai to USM (paid an over-limit fee); then USM to BKK (paid an over-limit fee). The flight attendants on the first two flights did not tell me to sign up on their website in order to request special meals (I asked them if they had vegetarian options). On the last flight, a flight attendant told me to visit their website in the future.
RouteChiang Mai to Koh Samui
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"absolutely worth the money"

Trip Verified | Phuket to Koh Samui. Great flight that was absolutely worth the money. The check in airport was very fast and was very friendly. The plane was relatively small, but the seat had enough space for such a short flight. In flight there was a free meal which you could choose before on the website. In addition a bottle of water. Free hot drinks such as coffee or tea were also offered on the flight. The flight was very punctual and the crew very nice. I can recommend this airline in any case. Toller Flug der sein Geld absolut Wert war. Das Einchecken man Flughafen ging sehr schnell und war sehr freundlich. Das Flugzeug war zwar relativ klein, aber am Sitzplatz hatte man genug Platz für so einen kurzen Flug. Im Flug gab es ein kostenloses Essen was man sich vorher auf der Website aussuchen konnte. Dazu eine Flasche Wasser. Auf dem Flug wurden ebenfalls kostenlose Heißgetränke wie Kaffe oder Tee angeboten. Der Flug war sehr pünktlich und die Crew sehr nett. Ich kann diese Fluggesellschaft aufjedenfall weiterempfehlen.
AircraftATR 72-600
RoutePhuket to Koh Samui
Date FlownNovember 2018

"didn't propose any help or flexibility"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | I fly a lot for my work and had the worst check-in experience in my life. Extra luggage cost was as much as the ticket! There was no option to book additional luggage on the portal I used, and the airline website was not working for my booking before. I am a professional cameraman, and always fly with a lot of equipment. Every other airline understands this and is flexible with carry-on because most of my equipment is forbidden in checked-in luggage. The flight was almost empty and still they didn't propose any help or flexibility. If I have the chance, I will always avoid flying Bangkok Airways. Aircrafts are tiny, old and with propellers, leg space for seat is inhumane.
RouteHanoi to Chiang Mai
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Time to refresh Bangkok Airways?"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | My previous flights with Bangkok Airways have been good, however this trip was not up to the 'boutique' standard. While the service onboard was efficient, a couple of the female flight attendants appeared to be less than happy and did not seem to be able smile. Sure, we all have bad days, but when your job is in the service industry, then act pleasant. I also thought that the aircraft appeared to look a little tired. Time to refresh Bangkok Airways?
RouteMandalay to Bangkok
Date FlownJune 2018

"excess luggage expensive"

Trip Verified | Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Horrible experience with the worse check-in experience I have had, waiting one hour and forty minutes. BKK airport is very modern: I used it tens of times before and never had to wait more than normal. The excess luggage was frightfully expensive (on a domestic flight I paid nearly 3 times my air fare), staff was of no help. Onboard it was decent.
RouteChiang Mai to Bangkok
Date FlownApril 2018

"professional and friendly"

Trip Verified | Connecting from Dubai to Chiang Mai. Domestic connections very seamless at that hour (7.30pm) as there weren't many domestic flights left. Lounge at Bangkok was very quiet and pleasant with a decent selection of snacks and drinks, good wifi too. Boarding was done on time and very quickly as the flight wasn't too full. Cabin crew were professional and friendly. Left Bangkok 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Full meal was served although it was cold and rather underwhelming, unexpected of Bangkok Air. Landed in Chiang Mai 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Only issue was that the plane was rather old and the legroom was very tight but overall, a good flight.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Mai
Date FlownMay 2018

"disappointed with our experience"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Koh Samui. The lounge services in Bangkok were dirty, flight was dirty, tired and like being in a sardine tin. Our return flight experience from Koh Sumi to Bangkok was not good. At check in at Koh Sumi airport staff questioned my partner's visa rights entering back into Australia since she was traveling on a non-Australian passport which I appreciate was necessary, however, didn’t see the information was in her passport. She confirmed our baggage would be retagged with Qantas business when they arrived in Bangkok – this did not happen. Our flight was delayed no explanation – seems Bangkok Airways departing flights from Koh Sumai are arranged so they all arrive and take off at the same time. My son's pram was tagged fragile as we requested and we witnessed it being thrown into the hold from our window seat. Ground staff overseeing the transfer point had limited English communication skills and were rude. We had to run with our son and hand luggage across the other side of the terminal to make our connecting flight. I feel very disappointed with our experience. I’m not familiar with Thai hospitality to be like this in Thailand as it is always professional and helpful in my past experience.
RouteBangkok to Koh Samui
Date FlownMarch 2018

"efficient inflight service"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Excellent flight. Super fast and efficient inflight service with good food. All budget airlines (including BA) who charge for in flight food/beverages and consequently take ages to get through the cabin should take note. This is the way to treat your customers and provide excellent service.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Mai
Date FlownApril 2018

"Attentive crew, smooth flight"

Trip Verified | Siem Reap to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi. Overall, comfortable flight. Pros: Attentive crew, smooth flight, decent food. You actually reach a real person if you call customer service. Cons: Flight did not leave on time. Web app is not easy to use when booking. I wanted to book a flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap and tried 4 times. Each time I got to the payment page, the app would crash. I finally called the customer service no. on the morning of my planned departure but by that time, the good airfare was gone! I ended up flying with AirAsia, which I would not recommend to anyone.
RouteSiem Reap to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"now its very mediocre"

Trip Verified | Mandalay to Bangkok. They seem to have embraced the budget model. Booked our February flights last summer and as these were the only flights on our itinerary which had less than 30kg baggage allowance I had a webchat conversation with customer services about additional baggage. No problem they said, as you are a member of flyer bonus we give you 10kg extra. Fast forward to check in and surprise surprise the check in agent was having none of it and charged us $80 US and refused to get a manager saying pay or leave your bag. Their aircraft interiors have also deteriorated over the years and are not as clean as they once were. This airline used to be unique while now its very mediocre. Such a shame.
RouteMandalay to Bangkok