Air China

"worst experience so far"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Vancouver was my worst experience so far. While waiting to take off, 3 passengers cancelled so i requested to be transferred but the male flight attendant told me to stick to my original seat assignment but even upon pleading him it was due to a medical condition, he left by saying he will see what he can do, and after that i never heard any word from him or even a follow up. I also observed how disorganized the flight attendants during the meal distribution. Due to several special meal requests from other passengers, staff were skipping one row from another and during my turn when asked for my choice for a regular meal the attendant left to attend to another special meal request leaving me hanging without food tray and waited for few more minutes. When finally i was handed my food tray and started to eat, a second food tray dropped upside down into my lap leaving me startled and mad with no apologies coming from the attendant. As i started to clean and pick up, the attendant only said its okay and she will take care of it later. I also observed they were more enthusiastic in serving their Chinese passengers. On the second meal service, the chicken dish i was served has the same sauce/taste from the first meal beef dish served, When i asked for another option, i was given a beef over pasta dish and ended up tasting the same beef dish topping from first meal served and lost my appetite for good.
RouteBeijing to Vancouver

"They are unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Delhi to New York via Beijing. My experience with Air China was horrible. I won't recommend it to anyone. They are unprofessional, not ready to listen to anyone. They changed my boarding pass to another flight. My transit time became 11 hours from 1.5 hours because of this. Didn't give me lounge at first. There was no food arranged by them. No internet. They owe a responsibility to arrange lounge, food, hotel if they are the one changing anyone's flight. Ground staff wasn't listening to anyone. Now after boarding to this changed flight, I got to know that my meal preference were not mentioned in crew members chart. And because of their unexpected change I missed my following flight. They didn't compensate even for that. At New York airport when I tried to explain it to their staff, he gave me one email address to file complaint. Guess what, that email address was not for complaints. It was for baggage claim. Now I had to call their office many times to get right email address. Meanwhile I was directed from one place to other. When you call their phone number, in normal business hours their automated system says " you are calling outside business hours please call again later." They do not understand English properly. Their services are poor. Won't fly with them ever. Once was enough for me.
RouteDelhi to New York via Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"This is the worst airline"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Tokyo via Beijing. This is the worst airline of the modern aviation industry. They just took this whole thing to the next level. Everything was horrible starting from Check-in -> Landing. I request for a special meal due to food allergies, they told me that system does not allow them to put a request and simply hung up on me! Gave me no alternatives. I even sent an email to them but as their services are so poor they did not bother to reply. When I asked the flight attendant regarding the meal options, she had no idea what lactose allergy is and she does not speak English. She gave me bread rolls with butter for the dinner. The way food was served as if they are doing a banquet dinner and wants to get over it as soon as possible On my way back from Beijing, Air China lost and damaged my bags. I went to the complaint, they brush me off by saying no English, No compensation or resolution. I got told to get things done in Auckland. I called their Auckland office and left a voice message but no one called me back, as usual, they did with the email. Beijing (PEK) Air China staff is extremely rude, heavily lacks communication and customer service skills. On return from Haneda - Japan to Beijing, I missed my flight connecting flight as I had only 70 minutes layover and my first landed when connecting flight check-in gate was closed. That's when Air China lost my bags but when I found them the following day they were damaged too. I got put on a different flight bag home following and my bags did not arrive on the same flight. They arrived the following day. Disappointment after disappointment. Please do not travel on AIR CHINA if you do not want to spoil things such as your mood, money etc. I would not give them any star but the system does not allow.
RouteAuckland to Tokyo via Beijing

"an average flight"

Trip Verified | Booked with Air China mostly for their competitive price. The Airport check in process was acceptable, although a bit understaffed with only 3 counters open for a 300 seat aircraft. The ground staff were very nice to have allocated me an emergency exit row seat, free of charge. Upon boarding one thing that was immediately obvious was the unusually hard cushioning on the seat back, upon close inspection there appears to only be about half a centimeter of foam. The inflight entertainment system also performed mediocrely, with laggy inputs and in this flight in particular requiring 3 separate reboots, with each taking about half an hour. The food and drinks is pretty much what you will find on an international flight like this, although lacking in western style food in general. Overall an average flight that I would recommend if you are either an international studnet or traveling on a tight budget.
AircraftA330-300
RouteBeijing to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Air China was the cheapest airline"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Tokyo via Beijing. Air China was the cheapest airline for our flight to Japan. Check-in process was perfect and boarding procedure commenced very organized. Cabin crew greeted us with smiles offered help to passengers who needed assistance to place the carry on baggage. As for inflight service, the crew showed some dedication. Seats were okay for first hours during flight, however after second to final hours of flight, the seat could not provide enough comfort and lumbar support to rest (unlike for example SQ or EK which adds much comfort to their seats). Meals were fine although they were not perfect. Drinks were served. In conclusion, Air China is for passengers who seek low cost flights with full service. As for transiting in PEK, I should say transferring passengers must be ready to endure the complicated process before boarding to your onward flight.
RouteJakarta to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2018

"greeted by a most professional crew"

Trip Verified | Poor expectations (prior reviews) were immediately erased from checking in to boarding the immense business cabin! We were greeted by a most professional crew and amazingly gregarious Austrian pilot! Since our arrival would be too early for VIE we were entertained by the pilot for 1 hour who introduced himself to all business class passengers. The cabin was spotless with the largest space that I have ever encountered! After the tight business seats for 18 hours last week (A350-900 flight on Singapore from EWR to SIN) this A330’s was delightful. My French wine was spot on and all meals were delicious. I look forward to booking Air China on my next Asia trips!
AircraftA330’s-200
RouteBeijing to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"flights went without incident"

Trip Verified | London to Sydney via Beijing. We were a family of six (kids ages ranging from 16-7). We check in 8 bags, firstly and most importantly I recommend allowing 1.5-2 hours for baggage drop alone, this was our experience in both LHR and SYD. On our outward leg I didn’t appreciate the time needed and so we lost out on our planned dinner in T2, the baggage check in process is outsourced to ground handling companies. Our experience onboard was normal, but much better than the big north American Airline companies, I ate all the food, inflight entertainment selection was significant, although not the most recent. The cabin staff were very courteous & pleasant, our four flights went without incident and I would book with Air China again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLondon to Sydney via Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"luggage did not arrive with us"

Trip Verified | Newark to Manila return via Beijing. Our luggage, all of 4 pieces, did not arrive with us at point of destination. I had a wedding to attend. I had to find alternatives. Luggage was delivered at our local address after three days of our arrival. Manila to Beijing breakfast served all around us. However, we (my husband and me) were missed. The crew realized their oversight when they came to serve the drinks. They claimed we were asleep which was untrue. Then another excuse was offered -"they ran short of one food choice" which I cannot accept because no one ever even asked us. We were eventually served breakfast, and staff gave their apologies. I told them apology accepted but not the excuse.
RouteNewark to Manila via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2018

"a lovely experience"

Trip Verified | Flew Shanghai to Sydney. Wonderful customer service. Air China crew are outstanding, what a lovely experience. My favourite flight, next to Qantas. Highly recommended! Thank you for making our flight comfortable and relaxed - you’re delightfully charming.
RouteShanghai to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2019

not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Delhi to Houston via Beijing. I am very disappointed with my travel with Air china. The airline refused to upgrade me to Premium economy or business class in spite of me being ready to pay for the service. The crew was very rude and somewhere discriminated the food was horrible. Our flight kept getting delayed and they refused to answer any questions. I will never fly with them ever again and will not recommend this airline.
RouteDelhi to Houston via Beijing