Air China

"the food not good"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Milan via Beijing. The flight was ok but the entertainment on board was terrible and the food not good. Check-in online is not very clear and assistance is difficult to contact.
RouteTokyo to Milan via Beijing
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Flew Air China from Tokyo to Beijing. Very slow and complicated checkin process. Poor customer service, they did not explain transit process in Beijing nor provide us with necessary transit forms. No customer service persons to help on arrival at Beijing. As a result of their poor service missed connecting flight. Have tried to contact airline numerous times, they refuse to discuss or reply to emails.
RouteTokyo to Beijing

"horrible customer service"

Not Verified | Tokyo to New York via Beijing. Air China is the most horrible customer service, my flight was schedule to depart at 7:20 am we got to their counter at 6:58 I was told that the counter was closed and that we need to call China as they offer no help. We had to buy another ticket to get home even though it was not our fault, the taxi took us to the wrong airport. They didn’t want to get involved in trying to direct us on the right pass. My husband and I had no choice but to purchase a new flight even though we had tickets I felt the representative at the airport were making making fun out of my stress. I told them that I was not able to contact China with my phone, and if they could guide me on how to resolve this problem one of them told me my co-worker gave you the number already.. I told them that I was not able to get through they just shrugs their shoulders and brush me off they couldn’t be bother with me nor my problem.
AircraftNo
RouteTokyo to New York via Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Beijing to New York JFK. I would not recommend this airline to anyone. They were careless enough to lose my baggage not only once but twice. The first time was at least city to city and now it was to a different country and they have no record of my luggage although my entire tour group and I witnessed them putting the tag on for JFK in check in. There hasn’t been anyone helpful during this situation as all my personal items whereabouts are unknown. The food was no good and there was very bad turbulence half of the ride. It’s one thing to lose someone’s luggage once, but twice is ridiculous!
RouteBeijing to New York JFK
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"the seating is very small"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Tokyo via Beijing. Worst airline I have been on. If you are over 6 feet tall you will be miserable and there is nothing you can do. I would never fly with them for several reasons but the fact that they screwed up my itinerary then charged me 800 dollars was the main reason. Its hard finding someone who speaks english. The food was horrible and the seating is very small. I wish I would have read the reviews before I booked.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"connection time got cut in half"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Tokyo via Shanghai. Flew SJC to NRT on Sept 4th and boy should I have listened to the reviews. I got very very lucky in the end, but some people on the same plane as me, not so much at all! I had a connection in Shanghai Pudong (PVG), with only 2 hours to connect there to continue onto Tokyo Narita. I consider myself a pretty seasoned traveler (this was my 5th international trip this year). I've read many reviews, so a couple days before, up to the night before the departure, I was looking up stats for this flight to see its on time arrivals. More than 6 out of the last 10 flights landed at least 40 mins late. I was concerned! I got to the airport, relaxed in the lounge at SJC, then noticed my flight was delayed by 1 hour since they claimed the plane arrived late. My connection time just got cut in half! Not only that, when I went to check in my bags, they said I had to collect my bags in Shanghai, and recheck them in and get a new forward boarding pass to Tokyo. With only 1 hour to get through customs and do all that, I felt there was really no way I was going to make it. I looked up Air China flights from PVG to NRT, and my flight was supposed to be the last one out. So my plane got in over 30 mins late, and the customs line looked to be at least an hour long. I had less than 30 minutes now to go through customs and recheck my bags. No way was I going to make it. I decided to just not risk my luck and go into the 24-hour visa-free line to stay overnight. The customs guy asked me why I was in this line, I said, well my flight is about to take off in 10 minutes (and then he asked me why I'm late, and it's like, well my plane just got in, that's why I'm here aren't I? It's not like I'm on the departures side and it's my fault). So anyways, he continues on and finds a supervisor from Air China for us. At this time, the day before, the huge typhoon hit the Kansai region, so all flights to Osaka got cancelled as well. He told the group going to Osaka that they'd have to fly to NRT. He said we'd all be rebooked on the 1st flight available, which would be next day 10AM and we would be provided accommodations for the night. He told us to go find him at the check-in kiosk after we're done with customs and collect our luggage. So once we all collected our luggage, we went to the desk where he told us he'd be at, and was nowhere to be found. So we got in line at the Air China Customer Service counter. There was quite some people waiting ahead of us, and a lot of people who were trying to cut. There was many times where I, or some other people on my flight, had to tell people to back off and wait their turn. The 1st two people who talked to a rep, the rep originally said there are no flights for 2 days. They were upset. But after a while, she found them 2 seats on the flight at 10AM tomorrow and said they were the last seats. Then a couple in front of me, and another 2 girls who traveled together went up, and they were told there were now no flights to NRT for 3 days! So I was getting upset hearing this information. Very luckily for me, I was the 1st one up to the desk traveling alone. The rep I spoke to was very kind, and quickly found a seat for me on the next flight tomorrow morning. The person after me who was also traveling alone, had to wait for 2 days. Next came accommodations, and then they said they weren't going to give us any! Then they sent us to the check-in counters, we waited there, spoke to them, they said to go back to the Customer Service desk!
RouteSan Jose to Tokyo via Shanghai

"No more Air China"

Trip Verified | I flew Air China business class for the first time. I thought being part of star alliance they would be good. I land in Bombay and was told that the bag containing all my clothes was in Beijing and would come the next day. I was connecting to Bangalore and requested they deliver to Bangalore. After 4 days of calling and getting the runaround, I was told that the bag was found and would arrive the next day which is the day I was coming back to the US. Basically I got my bag 2 hours before my return flight. I had to buy clothes, toiletries and all the meetings were pretty much ruined. Also my bag was completely broken. Since the time I have come back I have called and asked for compensation and I was told to submit all details to their Los Angeles center. I did that and since then I have been emailing and calling to follow up and nobody has any answer. No more Air China. The fare was $1000 cheaper than United but not worth it.
RouteLos Angeles to Mumbai via Beijing
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Won't fly Air China again"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Manila. Worse after flight service ever. This is our last leg of our flight coming from Canada to Philippines for our family vacation The airplane looks fine but nothing compared to our original flight, we supposed to fly thru All Nippon Airline (ANA) but for some delays in Canada it was re booked to Air China. Upon arriving at Manila only 2 out of 10 luggage arrived, a ground staff spoke to us and after verifying our claim stub he told us that the remaining luggage's were still at Beijing. We ask them how this happened but they told us that they don't know, the only thing they noticed is that missing luggage is normal to Air China. Its true because when we claim our luggage after 2 days, there's other people claiming their luggage. So for every Air China flight there will be unlucky persons that will not have their luggage with them upon arrival. After inspecting our luggage's we found out that 2 of our hard case spinner luggage is broken. The luggage is almost brand new, this is the only second time we use it. And it will not break unless its not properly handled. No apologies from, they said its normal for a case to break. Again this is normal to them. We made a claim report and the best they can offer is about 15% of the price. Won't fly with Air China again.
RouteBeijing to Manila
Date FlownAugust 2018

"bad quality white bread"

Trip Verified | Seoul to Beijing. What Air China are serving to eat is very bad. Two small slices cucumber in a bad quality white bubble bread. Nothing more - is that funny ? Shame on you.
RouteSeoul to Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"seats were fairly comfortable"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Vienna. Check-in went smoothly, I asked for a window seat and the only one available is on the last row. There wasn’t a toilet at the back of the A330, which made the journey a lot more pleasant. The seats were fairly comfortable, and the legroom was average. The aircraft was clean, although the IFE was very old. The quality isn’t great, but it was usable. The screen wasn’t a touch screen, so I had to use the remote, which was quite confusing at first. On the home page, it said “press any key to continue” but in fact you can only press the “enter” key at the back of the remote and I only figured out how to scroll down, not up. At least the flight was a night flight so I didn’t have to use it too much. There was only one meal served, which was breakfast but it was fine as the flight took off at 3AM so we went to sleep immediately. The crew was friendly and frequently went up and down the cabin serving us with drinks. The flight overall was alright, I would fly Air China again if the price is right, although not on their A330.
AircraftA330-200