Air China

"not a professional airline"

(Dominican Republic)

Trip Verified | New York to Beijing. Air China cannot be trusted as a 1st World Airline. I purchased a refundable airline ticket and had issues with my connection to the Air China flight. My entire family was going to the Far East for my daughter's graduation. Our connecting aircraft was cancelled due to a maintenance issue and we missed our flights. When I tried to re-book the next day, I could not reach anyone in their US office. They were closed. Seriously! I had to call their China number to try and get service. I was told that I had to re-purchase the tickets. My ticket was refundable and so I simply cancelled it given I could not re-schedule my family's flights. I am still waiting on that refund. I have sent approximately 15 e-mails to Air China. I did receive one response that advised me that I had to go to their website and formally cancel my flight which I did on the phone with their service agents. I tried that several times but their site didn't work. My advice to anyone traveling to China, do not use Air China. They are not a professional airline and their service is the absolute worst that I have experienced in 30 years of travel. Fly any other airline but do not subject yourself to this company.
RouteNew York to Beijing
Date FlownApril 2019

"Worst airline company"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Beijing. Worst airline company, this is the only Chinese airline which refused to provide full refund for tickets cancelled before Jan 28. The government set up policies about refunding but this firm is just playing word games.
RouteMontreal to Beijing
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"don't know how to manage this"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Manila via Beiijing. After the first flight from Montreal to Beijing they let us know just before boarding with 5 hours delayed that i can t get inboard because the govt of Philippines ban all the non Filipino transit in china airport. Staff of the airport didnt know what to do with all the banned travellers and they just sent from one counter to another one. We cant go out of the airport as we don t have visa and we dont have flight ticket to go out of the country. After 5 hours we finally talked with a manager who offer to us a ticket for Thailand to be out of the country ... they provided us a hotel for few hours and we left for Bangkok after they make us sigh a waiver. This was a very bad experience and obviously the peoples on the airport didn t know what to do. I paid business class to go Philippines and finally i reach Thailand without possibility to come back on track To my trip. The people on Air China spoke very low english and don't know how to manage this kind of situation.
RouteMontreal to Manila via Beiijing
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Not impressed"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Bangkok via Beijing, returning from Singapore to Frankfurt via Beijingh. The positive was flat bed seat, the lounge in Beijing is ok, tried Chinese wine for first time. The negatives incude constant announcements interrupting sleep/entertainment. The sleeping and entertainment gear (duvet, pillow, sleepers and headphones) was constantly checked and taken off one hour before landing because "people steal them". Some staff were nice others not. I am a vegetarian, and while everyone was getting canape, starter, main, salad, bread, cheese selection and dessert. I was given one dish on most of the trays, no bread no butter. I was hungry in business class on Air China, first time I ever experience that in biz class. There was a lovely vegetarian menu in Business Class but I was not allowed to have it because I asked for vegetarian option during the booking - very puzzling. The entertainment system is 20 years old, the information is inaccurate. Not impressed. From and to Zurich they cannot emit boarding passes, so it was quite stressful to wait at the gate for someone to give us boarding passes specially the inbound. Information is limited and badly translated from Mandarin. Not impressed.
RouteZurich to Bangkok via Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"will never recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Bejing. The website doesn't work properly so you are not allowed to checkin online. Rude staff that doesn't speak English. Plane really uncomfortable and unclean. Don't change flight in China because you will find yourself lost with staff unable to speak English and very rude. Also they laugh on your face when you try to ask questions in English. I will never recommend this airline.
RouteBangkok to London via Bejing
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"my luggage is not there"

Not Verified | London to Manila via Beijing. I went to Manila via Air China and had a connecting flight to Beijing. Upon arrival in Manila, my luggage is not there. I had to fill up a form indicating that my luggage is missing, etc. The following day I received a reference and after that no one even bother to call me or update me about my missing baggage after that. It’s been 6 days already and still I dont receive anything from them. Even their customer service is not helping saying that they dont have contacts to Beijing or Heathrow and all they can do is wait. If only I can go and find it myself in Heathrow, Beijing or Manila airport, I will find it myself.
RouteLondon to Manila via Beijing

"food was very average"

Trip Verified | Recently flew Air China in first-class from Beijing to London. The aircraft is quite new and the seats in first class felt comfortable sitting on. Although the seats are not suite like seats, still once you put up the partition wall up between you and the person next to you, there is privacy. The food was very average but the crew was pleasant. There were 3 pax onboard and 3 crew members were serving. There is nothing exciting to write home about Air China’s first class, but I felt comfortable and relaxed throughout the flight and slept over 5 hours undisrupted.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteBeijing to London
Date FlownDecember 2019

"lost me and my family as customers"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Washington via Beijing. Two members of my family arrived in IAD without their checked luggage. The CA rep at IAD provided them with a baggage irregularity report which did not have a complete reference number, which meant that each time trying to follow-up with Air China it was a major hassle having to find the case in their system by using bag tag numbers, etc. Sloppy work on the part of the agent at IAD. We were told that the bags would arrive three days later, despite the fact that there were daily flights with both CA and UA on the PEK-IAD route. The bag finally arrived. I put in a claim for compensation for the purchase of essential clothing and toiletries. I submitted all required documentation and a claim for US$530. I was told to email this information to an Air China agent at LAX. After a week, I had received no response. I called Air China and was told that the agent who told me to email her was on holidays. More ineptness. I was told to email the claim to baggage services at IAD. I did so and received a reply stating that each passenger was entitled to the grand sum of US$43! What does CA think can be purchased in terms of essential clothing and toiletries in the middle of winter in Washington DC for US$43? Shameful on the part of Air China. I wrote the and shared my indignation, particularly as my family members are Star Alliance Gold. They just lost me and my family as customers.
RouteBangkok to Washington via Beijing

"really very affordable"

Trip Verified | Booked a trip from Singapore to Tokyo via Beijing for my family this December holiday as it is really very affordable, and it turned out great! We got our luggage safe and intact. The flight entertainment was alright - not a lot of new movies but have some that we have not watched so that got us through our flights. The service was alright too. Maybe that is because we can speak and understand mandarin. Food was not good but bearable. Overall, we had a good, value for money experience.
AircraftA330-300
RouteSingapore to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2019

"has to be the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Beijing. This has to be the worst airline in the world! After herding us (pensioners) into a huddle at Sydney airport they left us like that for 6 hours and then tell us the plane is technical and go get a hotel and come back tomorrow (after 2 weeks they gave us AUD200 each). when we did they had cancelled us out of all our flights to Portugal and we had to get Flight Center to re-book us, they hadn't even booked us on the new flight. The staff couldn't give a monkeys about its pax and treated us like animals and were so arrogant. The queue even had a fight as people were so tense and the police were called.
AircraftBeoeing 777-300er