Air China

"extremely attentive and pleasant"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to London via Beijing with Air China. The air stewardesses were extremely attentive and pleasant. Kept topping up my wine. Offering food. Food was good. Bed on 787-9 had very limited foot room and not overly comfortable. ‘First Class’ lounge and food in Beijing pretty average. Inflight entertainment needs more, better English movies and docos. Stewardess gave me a ‘Fast Track’ priority immigration pass for Heathrow. Brilliant! Straight through.
AircraftBoeing 787-9, A359
RouteAuckland to London via Beijing
Date FlownJune 2019

"airline treated us very bad"

Trip Verified | This airline treated us very bad. My flight was from Mumbai to Beijing to Montréal. But my Mumbai to Beijing got delayed and I missed my flight to Montréal and then they told us that they will arrange a flight but we have to get our bags from I don't know where which was too far from the gates and we ended up missing the flight. After that when we got our bags they gave us the flight to Vancouver and then to Montréal. Literally I had spent 100$ to upgrade to premium economy and 1025 rupees to get a window seat and they gave us the middle seat and it was so horrible that I would not suggest anyone to travel by it. Instead go buy a more expensive ticket and get a comfortable seat.
RouteMumbai to Montréal via Beijing
Date FlownMay 2019

"Cheapest business class ticket"

Trip Verified | Cheapest business class ticket from London to Hong Kong via Beijing. Even though I normally take direct flights, the price was too good to pass up. Excellent Ground Crew in LHR and HKG. Onboard service was friendly and helpful although I agree that not all the staff can speak adequate English. Food was copious as was alcohol. Entertainment catalogue was adequate for English movies although they could do with more. Sound dampening headphones worked well. Lots of warm towels to keep you refreshed. The lie-flat bed was comfortable and I awoke refreshed after my flight. Would fly with them again, hopefully on their new A350!
AircraftA330 / Boeing 777
RouteLondon to Hong Kong via Beijing
Date FlownJune 2019

"stick with Thai Airways"

Trip Verified | Return flights from London to Bangkok via Beijing booked with Air China seemed a good price deal, but you get what you pay for! Bag delayed on outward journey and airline ‘insisted’ it had to be delivered to my hotel at 3am off a following flight meaning the hotel owner had to get up to receive it, despite being told later on would be more acceptable. In flight ‘entertainment’ was laughable, I’ve never seen such an antiquated system, a total waste of time and definite breach of the word entertainment. Return flight Beijing to London departed around 7am, an 11 hour flight. Weather was clear and sunny, again the above ‘entertainment’ system which resulted in looking out of the window at the views below to pass the time, or should I say ‘trying to’, was repeatedly asked by cabin crew to close my blind, when I asked why (thinking maybe we were flying over a restricted area etc) I was told people were trying to sleep - apparently Air China think it is ok for passengers not sleeping on a long haul day flight to sit in a completely dark cabin for 11 hrs with no in flight entertainment and a low phone battery staring at the back of the headrest in front?! If you like either chicken/rice or shrimp/noodles you’ll be fine for food, otherwise enjoy the bread rolls I saw being offered as alternatives 5 Next time stick with Thai Airways.
RouteBangkok to London via Beijing

"Very unfriendly staff"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | Munich to Hanoi via Beijing. Very unfriendly staff, outdated entertainment system, no english at the airport and very little by the cabin crew. Meal was worse than average. The plane from Beijing to Ha Noi was old and worn out. I would look for another options.
RouteMunich to Hanoi via Beijing
Date FlownApril 2019

"wait for landing to eat"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | I booked flight for my parents from Delhi to Vancouver via Beijing. I prebooked my father's wheelchair (he can not walk or stand for longer because of permanent leg injury) and their meals AVML since they are pure vegetarian. It was connecting flight through Beijing. All was going well until they reached Beijing. The wheelchair assist guy took advantage of their age and language barrier. He took them to gate no 32. He then asked for money. My parents told him that they couldn't understand, so he wrote on a paper in English that he wants money to take them to gate. They Didn't know what was happening, after trying to understand him they gave him 400 INR. He asked for more, my parents were not carrying more cash in their hand baggage so they denied outcome of which he left them at gate no 32 and went away saying something in Chinese which they clearly don't understand. They waited there for 2 hours and then my mother decided to go for a walk around and look for the gate number for their next flight because they eventually figured it out that they are stranded on wrong gate. She found a few Indians sitting near gate number 19 who guided her and told her that they are supposed to reach gate number 16 which was really not anywhere near gate number 32. She rushed back to my father and told him the scenario. They couldn't find any other ground staff near by who could understand them so she decided to take my father on a wheelchair by her own along with the 2 hand bags they were carrying. They made it till gate number 20 when someone showed up to help after maybe observing them struggling. The nightmare didn't end there, after taking off for next flight, they were offered Fish to eat. They told the crew that they are vegetarian (I booked AVML which is reflected on their tickets too) and can't eat fish. The crew told them that since there is no vegetarian option available, they have to either eat it or wait for landing to eat in Vancouver. They didn't eat for 12+ hours of flight. I have read about people sharing their experience but never imagined that something like this could happen to my family. How does some big airlines do such kind of money business without having feelings for their passengers?
RouteDelhi to Vancouver via Beijing
Date FlownMay 2019

"the flight is dirt cheap"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to New York via Beijing. Ground staff is subpar and not helpful. I was traveling with my husband but we got seated separately despite there being some vacant seats available. Crew are not helpful and rarely speak English. Food portion is too small for an average man. The taste is bland but edible. Some good thing is that an ice cream is served on a long-haul flight. Entertainment on board is out of date and difficult to use. You have to select everything from a remote control attached to the seat. The flight from PEK to JFK delayed for more than 2 hours. I have checked the flight history and it looks like there is always some delay in this flight. Anyhow, the flight is dirt cheap.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to New York via Beijing

"No lost baggage"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing. The flight was delayed by 2 hours from SFO due to the delay in incoming flight. However, the Beijing to Mumbai flight waited for the SFO to Beijing flight to arrive. No lost baggage and the FA went above and beyond to make us comfortable.
RouteSan Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing

"highly recommended"

Trip Verified | CA937 from Beijing to London: shameful ground service and excellent onboard services The ground service is an absolutely shame, failing to do any customer service, and even sound checking me in as a favor. Travelling with a toddler, the ground service is simply say she does not care to put us together, and it is our responsibility to check in early (we arrived the airport 3.5 hours before the flight). When checked the luggage, we are allowed to check in 3 23kg bags, but we only have 2 (20kg and 24kg respectively), the check in agent insists 24 kg is way too much, without realizing we have extra bag weight not used, and the weight per bag is not beyond 32kg - absolutely shame. Asking us to re-pack in front of the long queue, and force us to queue it again after rebalancing the stuff in the checked luggage. In contrast, the onboard service is fantastic. Seat ok with better than average leg room, entertainment improving, food is edible. However, the crew are exceptional, frequent water runs over the night, personal greeting (in economy), and also keep entertaining and interacting with our 22 months toddler, even the flight is completely full. Could not ask for more and absolute fantastic! Air China could be a 5 star airline if the ground staff has half of the professionalism as the crews. Overall highly recommended
RouteBeijing to London

"unethical business conduct"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing. Flight was delayed. They put me on a Lufthansa flight. I had purchased the ticket for 410 usd and paid 166 usd for an extra baggage. However, since they changed my flight to Lufthansa, I had to pay the Lufthansa extra baggage charges which was 287 usd. More than half my ticket price. When I emailed Air China, and requested a refund of 166 usd plus the extra charges I had to pay to Lufthansa beyond the 166 usd, I received no reply to the email. (I received a refund of the 166 usd I had paid them). This is unethical business conduct and bad customer service !
RouteSan Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing