Air China

"pleased with my experience"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bombay via Beijing. Other airlines charged $1200 on for a return ticket but Air China which sold its ticket for $850. LAX to PEK was a 13 hours flight, I was able to check-in online. The flight departed 30 minutes late but reached PEK on time and was able to catch my next flight easily. (layover at PEK was just 1.5 hours) After takeoff, the drinks and food service started. I had ordered a special meal (Hindu Veg). The food tasted good and surpassed my expectation. The in-flight entertainment had a good collection of Hollywood movies. I found flight attendants super friendly and genuinely caring. T Personally, I feel language is just a medium of communication, and I was able to communicate easily with them. I received all my bags in BOM safe and without damage. Overall I am really pleased with my experience in economy class.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 ER / A330
RouteLos Angeles to Mumbai via Beijing

"A solid product"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Ho Chi Minh City via Beijing on A330-200 and B737, a super-promotional ticket for 1300 euro return. Everything was OK. Access to Air Canada’s Lounge in Frankfurt granted with ease even I arrived 7 hours prior to departure. The cabins were all full. Good IFE, food, and amenity kit onboard. The Airport in Beijing is cumbersome and not recommended for beginners. In Beijing, I went to Air China First Class Lounge which is a good, spacious business class lounge (they have two identical lounges of which one for some strange reason is called First Class. Could not access their internet which always give me problems in China. The lounge have nice sleeper roomlets and the shower OK. All flights on time. Food and drinks were acceptable. FA-staff were hardworking and focused. They very polite though misunderstood most inquiries and requests. Excellent value for money. The last leg was on a small B737 and had only 2 rows in business class. Welcome champagne offered. Food just passable. Classic business class recliner seats were OK. No amenity pack given. No individual IFE and poor headsets. This leg can only score max 6 of 10 but the first leg scores 8 of 10. A solid product.
AircraftA330-200 / Boeing 737-800
RouteFrankfurt to Ho Chi Minh City via Beijing

"Staff are so helpful"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Ho Chi Minh City via Beijing. There was a line for Star Alliance Gold member and First and Business class My seat 41D space is big enough. Out of gate on time 11:30am Entertainment adequate with 76 Hollywood movies, including 21 new released. Transfer information is available just 40 minutes before landing. This is a very helpful feature that CA providing to passengers. The 10 inches passenger monitor function well. Food service was fantastic and it was served after 1.5 hours on the air. First meal: beef with rice or pork with rice. Beverages: adequate with many kinds of juice. The beer was served on Air China is Yan Jing Beer 燕京啤酒。 After first meal there was Haagen Das ice cream, my favorite brand. I took a photo, the female attendant said “do not take photo” but I was taking it any way. I just want to show the world their good service. Staff are so helpful. They help passengers with the hand carry on which I don’t see much on United flights. (I am United Gold member). Onboard temperature: good control.
RouteLos Angeles to Ho Chi Minh City via Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"the food was terrible"

Trip Verified | This has to be the worst service/food/treatment I've ever experienced. First off the food was terrible. I couldn't even eat any of it and it seems that was a common thing for the people around me. But the staff do not know how to speak English. They know key phrases and a few words but god forbid you have a problem because you wont receive any help because they wont understand you. If you loose your luggage, your flight is canceled, there are any changes they wont be able to explain anything or help you in anyway. This airline is cheaper for a reason and I highly recommend going with a different company because if you have any problems or questions you're in trouble. My flight to JFK was canceled and then the staff were actually yelling at me just saying "you wait 10 hours!". No explanation, no we're sorry, just yelling in Chinese and finger pointing. Don't get me wrong, you'll get to the place a little late but in one piece. But just expect to be treated like an animal.
RouteNew York to Bejing
Date FlownNovember 2018

"food and drinks sub-standard"

Not Verified | Delhi to Los Angeles via Beijing. Great seats but service was extremely unprofessional. Business class food and drinks were sub-standard and worse than few other airline food in the economy class. Flight attendants seemed bit confused and unable to understand English well.
RouteDelhi to Los Angeles via Beijing

"very poor service"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Manila via Beijing. I will never book my parents here again, due to their very poor service. My parents, 86 and 83, traveling from San Francisco to Manila with only a one hour layover at Beijing were left behind by the aircraft, this shouldn’t be a problem due to the fact that they were wheel chair assisted. Air China didn’t even bother trying to inform us. I tried calling their customer service but I waited for almost 2 hours. I understand the volume of callers, but 2 hours is more than enough to wait.his entire incident made everyone in my family worried having no contact of my parents and most importantly, of their current situation. At Beijing, although they were given hotel accommodation, they were never offered even a snack / meal. What added to the turmoil was that the flight supposedly from Beijing straight to Manila, was changed to Beijing, Japan, and Manila. Again for the second time, not a single word was heard from the airline.
RouteSan Francisco to Manila via Beijing

"would never recommend"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Vancouver via Beijing. Our flight was good for the cost. A meal was served between Bangkok and Beijing (with a sticker left on the tray table if you were asleep during the meal so they would come back and deliver, very nice!) and the food was decent enough. English wasn't great but I don't expect that when flying between two Asian countries. The only reason this was a problem is that no immigration cards were handed out before arriving in Beijing and when I tried to ask what the process was for acquiring a tourist visa and immigrating, no one helped. I had done some online research so I knew one had to apply first for a tourist visa but it would have been nice to be able to fill the paperwork out on the plane just as I've done with every other country I've flown into. As a result, upon landing, very unhelpful ground staff misguided me into wrong line after wrong line and by the time I reached the proper line there was only seven hours left of my layover. Now this next bit has more to do with the Beijing airport than Air China. For some arbitrary reason, the visa officer would not let me enter the country because he felt I didn't have enough time. But if Air China had been more helpful in providing me with the correct information I would not have missed out on my Beijing tour and lost my money on it. Seven hours later, we boarded our flight back to Vancouver on a very old fashion plane where the seats were hard and uncomfortable and they woke us constantly with loud announcements about everything from ten seconds of turbulence to duty free shopping in the middle of the night. Made for a long, uncomfortable, sleepless flight after an extremely long and disappointing layover in the Beijing airport. All in all I would never recommend Air China or any flight that takes you through China as the ground staff in the airport are rude and the Internet is censored so you can't even do anything on the "free wifi".
RouteBangkok to Vancouver via Beijing
Date FlownNovember 2018

"standards of service are average"

Trip Verified | Paris to Beijing. I took 5 times this trip in the last couple of years so I think I get a fair idea of the services offered. In Paris, Terminal 1 Star Alliance lounge is really average service Flight schedule is very good for this flight. Took-off at 19.30 and land 12.30 the next day which make a night flight with good sleeping opportunity to minimize jetlag. Staff is efficient but tends to expedite the meals. This cabin (compared to the other I get on air china for the same route) offers less legs and foot pace than the other as the seats are no more perpendicular to the aisle but form an angle. Plane is very noisy compared to the current standards. Some troubles occured with the headphones connections (several times I got that for this flight). Entertainment system is slow, quite old, and available movies are not so updated. Food is on the good side. I was a bit "shocked" to see that some of the tissue towels were put on trash with disposable waste. Overall flight was ok and efficient but the standards of service are average compared to the market.
RouteParis to Beijing
Date FlownNovember 2018

"had no problems at all"

Trip Verified | Me and a party of 4 travelled from New York to Tokyo via Beijing. We had no problems at all, it was a relatively great experience considering the price we paid for the tickets. Food was mediocre but not terrible. Movie selection was decent as well, they had new movies to choose from. We had a 1.5hr transfer time which we were initially concerned about but we made it with more than enough time! Would fly Air China again for the value.
RouteNew York to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownNovember 2018

"They were rude and offensive"

Not Verified | New York JFK to Beijing. On 25-NOV-2018, our flight got cancelled causing me and my group to miss a whole day of vacation in Thailand. The Airline did absolutely zero for us over 300$ in loss per person. Unacceptable. Our flight was at 2:30am and delayed until 12:30pm following day. We called the airline they had no information. We received no email what so ever notifying us of cancellation/delay. We sat at the airport for almost 10 hours with no direction from anyone. When we called again to ask for hotel accommodation (per airline policy of delay of 4+ hours) we were told we do not need a hotel. We have a member in my group with health issues, however, when mentioned to Customer Service they immediately dismissed this. At this point in time due to absolute negligence on behalf of this airline, we will never fly with them again. Don't be deceived by the cheap price. The cheap price reflects in their sub par customer service which was evidently and successfully displayed by Air China personnel. They were rude and offensive.
RouteNew York JFK to Beijing