Air China

"price is very competitive"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Delhi via Beijing. The flight took off and landed smoothly. Food was average but okay, plenty of drink. Entertainment touch screen is easy to use. Crew was very helpful and lovely, the price is very competitive, plus you can transit in Beijing without visa. A great airline. Will definitely fly again with Air China.
RouteAuckland to Delhi via Beijing
Date FlownMarch 2019

"the worst experience ever"

(Zimbabwe)

Not Verified | Hangzhou to Johannesburg via Shenzhen. I had the worst experience ever using this flight Air China.I had extra kgs of my luggage which I was suppose to pay for. They told me to pay the amount which was double the actual money that I was suppose to pay. These guys they don't understand at all. I spend about 2 hours talking with them that this amount is too much, you might be doing a mistake. I ended up left my suitcase because I did not have that huge amount they wanted me to pay. When I was now in Shenzhen I asked the other Air China staff the amount I should pay for much kgs and they told me the correct amount but it was now too late because I had left the suitcase in Hangzhou airport. I am very disappointed with this airline and I will never took it again. Now my suitcase is still in China and I am going to incur extra expense to ship it to my country. Also they do not give enough food as compared to other airlines. Air China just give two meals for the whole journey from Shenzhen to Johannesburg. I don't advise anyone to use this airline.
RouteHangzhou to Johannesburg via Shenzhen

"no vegetarian food"

Trip Verified | Took 4 flights recently on a return trip to Japan. Booked 10 months advanced and requested vegetarian food. First on two flights they had no record of our request. I ended up eating 3 bread rolls as they had nothing else. On the 3rd flight coming home, they somehow had remembered and provided a veggie meal (which was the same as the normal meal, but no meat. Just plain rice!). By this point I had given up hope. Low and behold, the 4th flight was no vegetarian food. How they can let this happen is beyond me, not because of me being a vegetarian, but what happens to those with nut allergies or something? Also, the aircraft's were awful. The final leg home from Beijing to London, we were ferried out into the middle of Beijing airfield, where a lone aeroplane stood, looking very dirty and unused. This plane was from around 1999, with old TV sets, practically no leg room, and uncomfortable seats. Hands down the hardest flight I've had to endure. Will pay more next time and fly with a company like Singapore.
RouteLondon to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownMarch 2019

"forgot to ask for drink choices"

Trip Verified | I took a business class trip from Beijing to London, and the service was not as good as previous trips. The crew greeted me in a pleasant manner, and presented me with welcome drinks etc. However, when one female crew member took my dinner order, she forgot to ask for drink choices, and it also applied to the person next to me. None of us had any drinks with our meal and it was in biz class. My pre-booked special meal did not turn up until I asked either. Their procedure was to check with special meal requests then serve, but this was not done correctly. My friend asked me to complain onboard, I didn’t think that particular member of staff was worth of complaining. It’s the natural ability to serve and to do a good job that she is lacking. Other than that the flight in biz class was comfortable enough, the drinks were plenty.
AircraftBoeing 777-300er
RouteBeijing to London
Date FlownDecember 2018

"appreciated what they did"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Beijing in December. The experience was good in business class, apart from the food. As this was a full flight I expected a rushed service but it was not and most of the staff were lovely. The personal storage on business class seat is very limited I had to put everything to my right, into an open hole storage, which is located below the seat cushion level. No surprise, I forgot to take it back from the storage after landing, and the chief purser came out of the aircraft and walked down the staircases to the tarmac and stopped the shuttle bus to return it to me. That was in a minus temperature. I was touched that the crew managed to clear the areas of business class after all pax disembarked and found my items and the purser came down to return it to me. I appreciated what they did for me.
AircraftA330-200
RouteLondon to Beinjing
Date FlownDecember 2018

"airline does not care"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Tokyo via Beijing. On February 16, 2019, I boarded an Air China flight from JFK to Beijing at 2:30 am. After departing, I noticed that my television at my seat (54J) was not working and informed the flight attendant. The flight attendant did a reset twice and also attempted to play a movie which failed. I also noticed that my headrest was also broken as it would not fold in. After speaking to the flight attendant, I was told to change to seat 51E. Before heading to seat 51E, I ate dinner then informed that flight attendant that I was going to move, in which she replied “okay.” When I arrived to seat 51E, I noticed that no one was seated in the seat. Approximately 10 mins later, a woman came over and started screaming that I was in her seat and proceeded to shove me. I explained to her that the flight attendant told me to sit there. However, I would be more than happy to switch with her. She proceeded to scream “you moved my stuff” as she grabbed her items from the seat pocket in front of me. Clearly, her items were not moved as she grabbed them herself. Then, the woman called over the flight attendant and continue to yell for approximately the next 10 mins in Mandarin, disturbing and waking up other passengers. After the flight attendants walked away, the customer grabbed the booklets from the seat pocket, safety guide, and bag and threw them at me and then down the aisle, which caused a flight attendant to return. After this incident, I was asked to move to seat 34K. This airline does not care about their passengers. Beware!
RouteNew York JFK to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"ticket prices are unbeatable"

Not Verified | Geneva to Chiang Mai via Beijing. I like Air China. The staff are friendly and has sufficient English language skills. The drinks selection is good and the food good too. There is always a Chinese and European selection. The seats offer enough leg freedom. with 1.80 meters have no problems. The ticket prices are unbeatable. The cleanliness of the toilets could be better. The staff often cleans the toilet during the flight. This is my ninth flight with Air China and definitely not my last.
AircraftA330-200
RouteGeneva to Chiang Mai via Beijing

"the food was terrible"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Vancouver. The seats on the plane had a lot of legroom and the flight was quite comfortable. Unfortunately the food was in one word terrible! I ordered Asian vegetarian meals beforehand but did not get anything like this. My first meal was plain penne pasta with a little olive oil, no sauce, a wedge of some stale dry flatbread and potato salad with mayonnaise, which I do not eat. The next meal was two boiled up potatoes and spinach. No salt or condiments and again the same wedge of stale bread, whereas the other passengers received fresh rolls. I immediately returned this to the cabin attendant.The salad was ok.
RouteBeijing to Vancouver

"Worst travel experience"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Chiang Mai via Beijing. Worst international travel experience. After booking my flight, I could not request a special meal, seriously, all means failed, North America customer service phone number that no one answer despite holding for hours, email that is published on their website for north america that bounce back and does not exist, and website that denied me access to login. 2Meals on the flight were absolutely disgusting from my views. Connecting time is very short end up not to catch my next connecting flight, and could not find any staff of this airline or any counter for them in the YUL airport, despite on the flight I was told as soon as you leave the luggage area, you will see our staff and our counter, there was nothing to be found. In flight washroom was not clean and toilet cover does not stay open, meaning dis-functional. In flight from Chiang Mai to Beijing, the noise from the Chinese tourist was over whelming and yelling in the flight as if they in the back street of a Chinese village. The seat was not comfortable, not enough leg room, no stage to keep anything personal in front of you. In general not recommended airline to fly with, and customer service is not on there focus at all.
RouteMontreal to Chiang Mai via Beijing
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"last kind of airline choice"

Trip Verified | Shenzhen to Los Angeles. Flew with Air China for 13 hrs just now. They were delayed (in the email they sent-1 hour), but in reality it was more like 2 hrs. This caused me to miss my next flight and because I didn't book them as connecting flights under Air China, they didn't really do anything about it. Now I can understand it's just easier to not take responsibility because you don't want to cash out money towards a passenger, but this experience made Air China a first and last kind of airline choice. Food was alright. Flight was smooth. But the staff were all just "doing their jobs" giving the same bare minimum answer/response they could to help out.
RouteShenzhen to Los Angeles