Air China

"Service is terrible"

Trip Verified | I have flown with Air China for the third time and this will be my last. Service is terrible. Flight attendants were rude at times. Food is also terrible. Since it's first come first served, there is no guarantee you can choose what meat you prefer since it will run out. The rice is always bad, so sticky and the noodles are not better. People (and flight attendants) will speak Chinese to you if you are Asian and mostly will continue to do so even when you tell them you are not Chinese. Transiting in Beijing is also a terrible experience. If you don't know where to go, even if you ask they are not very happy and look very annoyed that you asked. Or worse, just shouted at you in Chinese and pointed to somewhere. The time of transit is very short, which you will easily miss your next flight (more troubles). The last thing I am most frustrated about is, at the end of the flight, you will likely lose your luggages. Happened a few times already. And when it does, you have to wait at least 3 days for it to delivered (very late at night). So, never again.
RouteWashington to Ho Chi Minh City

"Pleasant flight"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Geneva to Osaka via Beijing. Pleasant flight - nothing fancy or incredible, but the level of service you expect for such a flight. My luggage was delayed and arrived a few days later - the airline promptly responded to my requests for compensation and within two weeks the matter was settled. Good ground service and customer service at their call center. Overall highly recommend for their professional management.
RouteGeneva to Osaka via Beijing

"were pleasantly surprised"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | We flew Air China from Warsaw to Ho Chi Minh City and back via Beijing. Cabin staff was nice and helpful, there were no delays or issues with our baggage. The food was quite good (I would say it was better flying to Ho Chi Minh City then back to Warsaw), flight entertainment were also good (30-40 movies in English and new releases like Black Panter and other older movies). The planes were quite old and I believe Air China should update their airplane fleet. We booked lounge in Beijing and as we have 15 hours layovers, it was nice to come to lounge, have some snacks, drinks, use showers and rest a little (we spend most of layover time visiting Great Wall of China and Forbidden City). But over all we were pleasantly surprised with the service, staff, food and flights.
RouteWarsaw to Ho Chi Minh City via Beijing

"horrendous customer service"

Not Verified | Vancouver to Hong Kong via Beijing. I have never been compelled to write a review for anything. Ever. That was until I experienced the absolute most horrendous customer service from Air China. I was travelling with a group of 7. I had booked a round trip from Edmonton to Hong Kong. This booking was done via Flight Hub which would include an Air Canada flight from Edmonton to Vancouver and an Air China flight to HK. Upon arrival at the airport in Edmonton Air Canada alerted me that my middle name was missing from the flight info and were happy to add it. Air Canada updated both my boarding passes. When I got to Vancouver I went to the Air China check in counter to receive my boarding pass and I waited 2 hours until they told me I wouldn't be allowed on the flight because of my missing middle name. This information came was communicated to me 10 minutes before gate closing. This gave me absolutely no time to contact Air Canada or Flight Hub for help. Air China were unwilling to add my middle name despite showing my passport and other government issued IDs. I had to cancel and rebook my entire round trip because they wouldn't add my middle name on the return flight either. One of my friends stayed behind and took the flight with me. On the return flight my friend was rejected from the flight for "breaking the sequence". Upon enquiry Air China confirmed that his seat was still reserved for him but he would have to pay an $1200 USD to get it back. Air China was incredibly unhelpful and threatened to call security when was asked why he was rejected from the flight even though they themselves confirmed the seat was reserved for him.
RouteVancouver to Hong Kong via Beijing

"Avoid Air China"

Trip Verified | Seoul Gimpo to Beijing. I have to admit that this is the first time that i have been driven to write a review of an airline. I have elite status on Star Alliance and One World. In all my travels i have never come across a worse airline than Air China. I am writing today warn off my fellow travelers from this airline which probably should be de-certified in a number of territories. I recently booked a ticket from Seoul to Beijing on the US website. Unfortunately there is a glitch in a the system and my name repeated itself (for example it appears as John John Smith Smith). I also can confirm this was not me accidentally entering my name twice because - before noticing the error - I booked a second itinerary and the same thing happened. And now for the incredible waste of time. The US 800 number basically does not answer. When calling the 24 hour number in China given their poor English they seemed convinced that I was somehow trying to do a name change. The UK number answers on a loop - throughout the UK work day - that the call center opens at 9am. Then disconnects. The French number on the Air China website is not valid. The loss of time in the last 48 hours has been absolutely breathtaking and I would have paid the double with another airline had I known. Resolution? 40 minutes to get a US rep who asked that I send my passport in despite confirming that there is a glitch in their booking system which allows for passenger names to be repeated. Still waiting for confirmation that the issue is resolved. Avoid Air China. Buyer Beware.
RouteSeoul Gimpo to Beijing

"the worst trip ever"

Trip Verified | This was the worst trip ever. The crew on the ground doesn’t have a clue of what they’re doing. It took them 3 hrs before they announced that our flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. Then there was a staff who informed us that we will be refunded the amount of our new flight if we rebook the flight ourselves as their person are taking a long time doing the rebooking. After we rebook a flight with another airline, we were then informed that a full refund is not a guaranteed and was given a Delayed Flight Form that we are to give to their Air China colleagues when we arrive in Vancouver. I was already mad as we had to take care of everything ourselves and have been misinformed. This misinformation costs me $925 CAD. A very expensive misinformation. When I got to Vancouver, the 2 employees on their Air China booth said they can’t assist me with my issues and to call or email Air China! So I called. I called more than 10 times now and the call keeps getting cut off. I also sent an email and there was no help there either. Thanks was told to cancel the booking and request a refund (no detailed information given) But it won’t be the $925 I paid to get to Vancouver. I was also told to call the Philippine office. When I asked if they’re going to cover my overseas call charges, I never heard anything back. I will never recommend them to anyone. Worst customer service! If there’s a zero rating here, that’s what I’ll score them.
RouteManila to Vancouver via Beijing

"unsympathetic attitude"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Osaka via Beijing. The seats are narrow and a packed Air China plane is not comfortable, especially for a long haul. I had to transfer in Beijing. For some reason I've not been able to figure out, the itinerary I'd been sold didn't leave enough time to get from the arrival gate to the departure gate of the connecting flight. I don't know if that was Air China's fault or the agent (Flighthub)'s fault. The Air China personnel at the airport strenuously maintained that it wasn't their fault. They claimed their only responsibility was to take off on time, and if I missed the connecting flight, that was my fault. Out of the goodness of their hearts, they said, they would allow me to board another flight the next morning. So I had to wait around in Beijing airport for a flight the next morning. As a result, I incurred some expense from missed connections and reservations in Japan. Although I've not been able to find out to this day whose fault it was that I missed my connection, Air China's unsympathetic attitude towards stranded travelers struck me unfavorably, and I'll probably try to avoid doing business with them again.
RouteLos Angeles to Osaka via Beijing
Date FlownOctober 2017

"terrible ground service"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | Jilin to Hong Kong via Beijing. The in-flight part of Air China was ok. The continual running problems with Air China is terrible ground service. This particular flight was delayed in Beijing (on a transfer, headed to Hong Kong) for five hours. There was no explanation given, nor any explanation posted at the gate. Only the word "delayed" was there (it was not in Chinese either). The staff either didn't know or didn't want to say. And they gave no rough indication when the connecting flight would take off (if ever). Passengers were left to wander around the gate area for hours. Luckily, there were some coffee shops open so we were able to buy drinks, etc. This problem with the service process is all-too-common among service providers here in East Asia, and especially in China (including Hong Kong, where I work). I hope the airlines and hotels take the lead in improving service and better communicating with the customers. And also, the voice recordings on the Air China phone lines in Hong Kong were impossible to understand (the English recordings). Really an uncomfortable travel experience - the second time for me.
RouteJilin to Hong Kong via Beijing
Date FlownJuly 2017

"fairly good economy product"

Trip Verified | Geneva to Hong Kong via Beijing. It was the unbeatable price that made me book and try them. One of the myths is that the planes are old. That is true and you see it from the very beginning when boarding the plane. You go through business class and it looks basic as well, just the full flat seats that remind you of business class. Economy is worse, except the seat legroom which I found better than most of the European airlines when flying long haul. The entertainment system is old and has only 1-2 movies in English, and almost unusable. It responds 5 seconds after you've pressed the button (no touch screen), the image quality is bad and the sound even worse. I had to use my headphones in order to understand something. But, the choices of foreign (not Chinese) movies was big and I had some novelties from the US, there were many European movies, a Chilean one and so on, all of them translated into English. The series were lacking the usual suspects from the US so I had to stick with the movies. Even the Chinese ones were subtitled, so after all a good surprise. The flight attendants did everything to make our trip nice and although the knowledge on English is basic (really basic), they struggled to make us feel welcome and asked if we needed something. They provided a blanket for the 3h flight from PEK to HKG. The food was average, but better than some other better considered airlines. For breakfast there was a western style one offered with omelet, chicken sausage and hash browns which wasn't bad at all. When it comes to beverages, the tea was very good, coffee so and so, the juices were nice (orange, apple, tomato) and the beer and wines (Chinese brands) were awful. I only experienced a half an hour delay once, with 12 legs flown in 2 weeks with them, so big surprise, they also land 45 minutes before schedule. Connecting in Beijing is almost a nightmare, but I have survived, give that the connecting time was decent, though not to much in order to get bored. Bottom line, Air China succeeded to impress me. I was expecting the worst and I got a fairly good economy product, better than some other airlines which should be better. I would say, you should give it a try if the price is right.
AircraftA330-200
RouteGeneva to Hong Kong via Beijing
Date FlownMay 2018

"Never ever fly with Air China"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Vienna via Beijing.. Horrible experience with Air China. Flight was late due to bad weather. Sitting on a plane. Out of nowhere went up. Circling above Hong Kong then trying to avoid the thunder storm we did not know was being ahead. Terrifying turbulence. Then 1,5 hour with total helplessness what was going on. Flight attendants did not know either. Captain speaking: "Need to land in Wuhan due to bad weather" - flight cancelled. Stuck at immigration desk (literally). Officers could not let us thru as we did not have Chinese visa - did not need any when you traveled to Hong Kong. Cannot go thru unless there is a new itinerary booked for us. It was 2am; entire airport closed till 6am. No english speaking people in Wuhan Airport. Booking system opened at 6:30am. Took ages to get a new itinerary. Surprisingly the new flight times were not able to fit each other. Long story short - after 20hrs spending in China we finally flew away home. Never ever fly with Air China.
AircraftBoeing 777-300er