Air China

"the flight is dirt cheap"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to New York via Beijing. Ground staff is subpar and not helpful. I was traveling with my husband but we got seated separately despite there being some vacant seats available. Crew are not helpful and rarely speak English. Food portion is too small for an average man. The taste is bland but edible. Some good thing is that an ice cream is served on a long-haul flight. Entertainment on board is out of date and difficult to use. You have to select everything from a remote control attached to the seat. The flight from PEK to JFK delayed for more than 2 hours. I have checked the flight history and it looks like there is always some delay in this flight. Anyhow, the flight is dirt cheap.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to New York via Beijing

"No lost baggage"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing. The flight was delayed by 2 hours from SFO due to the delay in incoming flight. However, the Beijing to Mumbai flight waited for the SFO to Beijing flight to arrive. No lost baggage and the FA went above and beyond to make us comfortable.

"highly recommended"

Trip Verified | CA937 from Beijing to London: shameful ground service and excellent onboard services The ground service is an absolutely shame, failing to do any customer service, and even sound checking me in as a favor. Travelling with a toddler, the ground service is simply say she does not care to put us together, and it is our responsibility to check in early (we arrived the airport 3.5 hours before the flight). When checked the luggage, we are allowed to check in 3 23kg bags, but we only have 2 (20kg and 24kg respectively), the check in agent insists 24 kg is way too much, without realizing we have extra bag weight not used, and the weight per bag is not beyond 32kg - absolutely shame. Asking us to re-pack in front of the long queue, and force us to queue it again after rebalancing the stuff in the checked luggage. In contrast, the onboard service is fantastic. Seat ok with better than average leg room, entertainment improving, food is edible. However, the crew are exceptional, frequent water runs over the night, personal greeting (in economy), and also keep entertaining and interacting with our 22 months toddler, even the flight is completely full. Could not ask for more and absolute fantastic! Air China could be a 5 star airline if the ground staff has half of the professionalism as the crews. Overall highly recommended
RouteBeijing to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"unethical business conduct"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing. Flight was delayed. They put me on a Lufthansa flight. I had purchased the ticket for 410 usd and paid 166 usd for an extra baggage. However, since they changed my flight to Lufthansa, I had to pay the Lufthansa extra baggage charges which was 287 usd. More than half my ticket price. When I emailed Air China, and requested a refund of 166 usd plus the extra charges I had to pay to Lufthansa beyond the 166 usd, I received no reply to the email. (I received a refund of the 166 usd I had paid them). This is unethical business conduct and bad customer service !
Date FlownApril 2019

"pay more to fly Lufthansa or ANA"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Paris via Shanghai. I expected the same budget experience like on the journey to Tokyo but it went worse. The ground experience at NRT was excellent. Quick check-in, security and passport controls, great ANA lounge, priority boarding for Star Alliance gold members. Greetings while boarding was not particularly friendly and so was the service also on the flight to PVG. The food was more than ok for this 2h30 flight. The real odyssee began at Shanghai airport... There was no visible sign for international transfers so I asked my way and was told to go first to the fingerprints collection and then to the regular immigration line. When it was my turn, the customs officer told me to fill in a blue form (for long layover without visa!). After a while there were more and more people to Paris asked to do so. But then someone told us that it's not necessary and we were asked to follow her up to the (well hidden) international transfer counter where we waited about 20-30 minutes. We were around 25 passengers to Paris waiting there until someone came to exchange our boarding passes against new ones (why?). Then all of us had to go back to the immigration counters to get their boarding passes stamped., before going back to the international transfer counter again for our boarding passes and passports getting checked once again. After that we still had to go through the long lines of security control. The whole procedure took over 2 hours ! There should have been trained Air China staff to help customers and the airport staff should known the process of international to international transfers and give the right information. If you book international to international you should count on 3 hours transit to be on the safe side. Our aircraft to Paris was on an apron position and we had to take a crowded bus: chaotic to board a large plane with only one stairway. FA were not particularly friendly but the service was quick and OK for a budget airline. The seats were also OK and the entertainment sytem also. We arrived slightly delayed in Paris. I wrote them a friendly e-mail to complain about the disastrous transfer in PVG and I received a short answer: 3 lines in very poor english. Not really giving the impression they care about frequent flyers and Star Alliance gold members. The ticket was cheap and for a very cheap price I would fly them again but only for a direct flight to China, not with an international transfer. For a flight to Tokyo again, I would pay 200-300€ more to fly Lufthansa or ANA: much better service inflight and on the ground, and much better customer service.
AircraftA321 / A330-200
RouteTokyo to Paris via Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2019

"you pay for what you get"

Trip Verified | Paris to Tokyo via Beijing. The price was great and I wanted to give the airline a chance and fly with them for the 1st time. Tickets not booked on their website: not able to choose seats or special meals. I contacted the airline per e-mail and I could order one special meal. I checked in the day before departure to be sure we sit together. Seating was 3-3-3 on the B777 if I'm right: better than the 3-4-3 on some airlines. Check-in opened around 3 hours before departure: the economy class line was very long. I'm Star Alliance Gold member and I could use the business class: pretty fast and checkin staff in Paris very friendly. But the seats I had checked in for the day before were not available anymore and I ended up on a middle seat. Boarding began 30 minutes later but we arrived on time at Beijing airport. I was positively surprised about the service onboard. Well, it's just a short version of the service of Lufthansa, Turkish or ANA and they don't come as often with drinks during and after the service; you get plastic cutlery,... but it's OK for the price! The food was not a highlight but not bad. The flight attendants mostly friendly with a good understanding of english. They are quick to serve but don't expect too much interaction like you have with ANA or Lufthansa... They are here to serve not to answer questions. Inflight entertainment a bit old, not very responding, froze and had to be reset. The problem was the transfer from international to international: expect long lines for passport control (yes, they do have one) and security check. And no special line for gold members, business class. The line was huge and disorganized. Passengers with a European passports were eventually asked to bypass the main ine and line up for the automatized passport control, which was much quicker. Afterwards again disorganised line for security control. Lighters and larger power banks are not allowed. All electronic equipment (also Bluetooth headphones !) and wallets/purses had to be taken out of the bag... unfriendly staff. You should always calculate at least one hour and half for connecting flights. There is no smoking area at PEK airport, keep in this in mind if you book a long transit time. Air China business / gold lounge pretty full but OK (for the price again). The airport has several restaurants and many shops and is modern with big windows over the apron. Boarding to Tokyo HND began on time. The service for a 3 hour flight was good and quick, but not so friendly. The A321 was dirty: not only my tray table was dirty with stains (food, sauce?) and also the overhead bins and panels had grey stains. We arrived on time. Business class passengers and gold members didn't get their luggage before normal economy passengers. Overall I would say you pay for what you get. The inflight experience was satisfying but the ground progress at PEK changed my mind. For solo travellers ok with a cheap fare, not for families or business travellers.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A321
RouteParis to Tokyo via Beijing

"not worth the delays"

Not Verified | San Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing with Air China. Business class was good for the price you pay, but not worth the delays. The food was good - lots of sea food and steak. (Very limited options for vegetarians though). My connecting flight to Mumbai was delayed by over 5 hours at Beijing. We spent hours circling around in the airport runways, taxing then circling around again. So a 6 hour flight to Mumbai turned to 11 hours. Really frustrating. The airline staff didn’t give any proper updates for the delays. The delays seem to be common at airports in China. No WiFi in plane. Changed my return flight to American Airlines via Hong Kong.

"very irresponsible behavior"

Trip Verified | I took my flight from New York to Bombay via Beijing. First the flight got delayed for 1.5 hour at JFK airport then it got delayed at Beijing airport for another 4 hours, when plane was on runway at Beijing airport the it stopped there and took a halt for 2 hours and they stated the reason that there is no fuel in the plane. This is very negligent on a part of international airline that they didn't check for fuel when waited for 2-3 hours, its like keeping the life of customer at risk. When I reached Mumbai Airport, I didn't got my baggage there and airline employee informed me that my baggage is at Beijing airport, they forgot to transfer my bag to the connecting flight. I got my bags after 4 days at my home with items missing from my bag. Air China's customer service is very bad and they take no responsibility for their customer's safety and product security. I have contacted them several time but got no proper response, it is very irresponsible behavior. Air China is taking no responsibility to help me find my items or compensate me for the loss. Even during flight when I asked for water, they told me they are out of disposal glass which is very bad on part of service the airline is providing. Worst service for safety and security.
RouteNew York to Bombay via Beijing
Date FlownApril 2019

"catered for Chinese passengers"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Copenhagen to Beijing via Stockholm. Premium economy ticket purchased through agent which means that you cannot use Air China website to check in, manage booking etc beforehand so we were assigned seats at check in. Air China website has very limited info on what you get for Premium economy - more legroom but nothing else. The first leg was with SAS plus which provided all the details so we were able to take advantage of priority queues and lounge access at Copenhagen which was excellent. When we transferred at Stockholm we were not permitted access to Air China lounge or any extra services. Food on plane was standard and not very appetizing. We had an additional Air China flight Beijing - Hong Kong which was delayed due to weather with no information from AC on reasons why. Return flight HGK-PEK-CPH was ok but nothing to get excited about. Cabin crew did a professional job. In flight media was hopeless. It is controlled from remote fixed into arm rest and is very small in size and buttons are difficult to access. It was very difficult to select items and i often hit call attendant by mistake. Most programmes catered for Chinese passengers with limited up to date western movies or music Overall, despite cheaper prices than competitors I don't think Premium economy is worth the extra. By contrast i wish we had flown SAS Premium economy the whole way.
AircraftA330-300
RouteCopenhagen to Beijing via Stockholm

"the worst flight ever"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Jakarta via Beijing. This is the worst flight ever! I have a bad stop over condition with 1.5hrs time ti change the flight from domestic flight to international flight. It is a combination of huge airport; not clear signage; short time to change the plane and so tight security checking made me arrive in the gate 10 mins prior to departing. Which i didnt found any ground officer; there was one lady inside the isle and notice with my appearance but apparently she didnt open the glass gate for me. I contacted one of friend who were able to enter the plane in order to inform the staff to let me in without any result. The process to get to international counter wasnt easy as well. I have to ask several times till finally arrived to the counter which located in domestic terminal. No solution given and the lady was insisted of saying the airlines was able to replace my ticket with same same route for another two days because Air China doesnt have daily flight to Jakarta. It was suck!! Since air china wasnt able to compensate me with the accomodation since i have to stay for another two days; cant refund my ticket; cant give me rerouting ticket; cant give me another ticket from its affiliates and i have to book another ticket myself if i want to catch up the earliest flight to my country. The staff also didnt communicate well because apparently my baggage was being taken out from the plane. Later i found out from my friend that the flight got delayed for more than one hour for the sake of taking out my luggage. Still dont understand why Air China sells ticket with short time for stopover if the condition is not supported. Later I read in Beijing capital terminal mentioned that at min should have 2 hours stop over to process with all those checkins and moving from one to other terminals.
RouteShanghai to Jakarta via Beijing