Austrian Airlines

"Most awful long haul flight"

Trip Verified | Most awful long haul flight experience I’ve ever had: - terrible staff, rude, unkind and never seen a smile on their face, meals were so bad. There was not even salt and pepper provided. The toilets were in such disgusting shape during the flight. Worst experience to have such circumstances in a long haul.
RouteVienna to Bangkok
Date FlownAugust 2023

"some space for improvement"

(Greece)

Not Verified | This is my review from Vienna to Athens. Boarding started perfectly on time, something that it is unusual these days in Vienna Airport, so I highly appreciate that boarding started on time. About ground services, I can tell that the boarding passes didn't have written the boarding gate something that should change. In addition, in the security area, the security officer did his job as he should. Finally, the crew was polite and offered to me and to my business partner some water and some Austrian chocolate but I would expect something better from Austrian. For example they could offer some beverage service with tea or coffee and a little snack too. I think that this airline is a good airline with some space for improvement.
RouteVienna to Athens
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"the worst phone help ever"

Not Verified | I have not yet flow this airline. I have been trying to get my ticket corrected now for 7 days and probably a dozen call to Austrian. Probably the worst phone help ever. First, most of the time you will get transferred to Lufthansa who says "you have to call Austrian", but when you call Austrian you get transferred to Lufthansa. When you finally get to Austrian, you cannot understand a word being said. The is not one person, but every call. They are useless. AVOID THIS AIRLINE
RouteVienna to Chicago
Date FlownAugust 2023

"I didn't have a good flight"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I didn't have a good flight with Austrian. The worst part was the return where my baggage was not loaded due to aircraft overloading! According to follow ups from the airport dozens of baggage were not loaded. Imagine that we pay for the baggage but they fill the airplane with other stuff. They also didn't provide information about scheduled flights for baggage. The baggage was also damaged due to multiple connection flights. I reported the damage but I am pretty sure that they will say "we are sorry for that but we don't process your report and don't forget to pay us next time and buy our tickets!". For the first flight we encountered multiple delay announcements and in total it was around 3 hours. They also suggested us to go to the restaurants in the airport as a compensation for the delay, but the restaurants were not briefed about that and in the end they said (the restaurant I went) that up to 7 euros is free. While the carry-on baggage was said to be 8 kilo (according to the time I bought the ticket), there was no control about that and there were people with big suite cases in the airplane causing lack of space in the cabin. Overall I won't try this airline anymore and I have heard similar things about that.
RouteTehran to Brussels via Viena
Date FlownAugust 2023

"comparable to Wizz Air, Ryanair"

Trip Verified |  It's a super tight seat. Boarding via bus in rain without any cover in the stairs for people. Boarding only in front. Staff offer no help for people to make boarding faster. Absolutely comparable to Wizz Air, Ryanair apart from the classical music that you pay premium for. Very similar to other Lufthansa owned products. Shiny cover, mouldy inside.
RouteSkopje to Berlin via Vienna

"Horrible staff"

Trip Verified | Horrible staff and Organisation. The flight departed late in Podgorica, the transit time was way too low and eventually they lost my luggage in Vienna. No one could be bothered to help or show at least some kind of remorse. Do not fly with this airline if you need to take a connecting flight. They don’t calculate enough time and will lose your luggage.
RoutePodgorica to Düsseldorf via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2023

"forced me to pay 70 euro"

Trip Verified | On the way to Vienna my carry on which always fits in overhead bin was found too heavy and checked in free of charge at the gate. On the way back I got airline's email saying they would check it in free of charge at counter 358. At that counter they forced me to pay 70 euro which I wouldn't have paid if I didn't get that email and went straight to gate. Random security check is an obvious lie as the security person asked questions to which I didn't want to give extensive answers and wasn't particularly nice either.
RouteVienna to Newark

"not enough legroom"

Trip Verified | I travelled from Amman, Jordan to Washington DC, USA via Vienna. The aircraft from Amman to Vienna has seats that are too narrow, no head rest, no screens and the seat cushion is too thin. The flight was 3.5 hours we got cheese sandwich only. Flight from Vienna to USA was in a bigger aircraft so seats were better but still not enough legroom in economy class. Flight duration was 9.5 hours we got one meal and a snack. During the wait for boarding in Vienna airport, economy class travelers were kicked out of the gate waiting area and we were told to wait for boarding elsewhere and that the waiting area by the gate is designated for first and business class only.
RouteAmman to Washington via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2023

"cascading effect of ruined vacation"

Trip Verified | This airline first would not honor our request to refund a ticket for 5 traveler that could not make it, then when we arrived they offered vouchers to volunteers to take a later flight, but would not take ours, then simply took our spare seat away. I had purchased premium seating for my family to sit together with a small child, but they did not have our seats assigned. We boarded last. Then 2 out of our 5 bags did not make it on a short, direct 1.5hr flight. It was impossible to contact the airline, they kept giving us different numbers to call, one of which was Lufthansa. Finally two days later we received an email that our delayed luggage arrived at the destination and I took a ferry boat and taxi to the airport only to find out one bag showed up. We had to repurchase clothing for the family member, then received a note that our lost luggage was sent back to our home airport in U.S. Simply no sense of customer service. Ticketing agent interrogated us inquiring about our travel plans, flipping thru our passports, questioning authenticity. Gate agents were no help, general sense of confusion and chaos. Gate agent ran after us and plucked the spare ticket out of my hand to seat someone else. Very odd experience, resulting in cascading effect of ruined vacation.
RouteVienna to Split
Date FlownJuly 2023

"The meal was very good"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Boarding in Venice started with a short delay - flight to Vienna was a short however pleasant experience. A decent snack was served accompanied by Austrian wines. FA's were very friendly. Only minor point was the fact that once again the plane was not at a gate in Vienna - despite the bus transfers were Ok. Flight to Brussels was very good despite the delay. On this flight a hot meal was served with a cake as dessert. The meal was very good - good Austrian wines as well. The purser and her assistant on this flight were exceptional. A more than decent business experience in Europe. For sure my best European flight so far during this year.
RouteVenice to Brussels via Vienna