Austrian Airlines

"our baggage didn’t make it"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Our flight from Stockholm was delayed with 10-15 minutes, therefore our baggage didn’t make it to our connecting flight - which is understandable. However, it has taken us four days to get any update about our baggage which was originally said to reach out hotel in 1-2 days. After calling a couple of times we got an update that our baggage where handed over to a currier and will reach us in 1-2 days (4-5 days upon arrival). They also promised to updated us by phone or email which they haven’t done a single time during these five days. They are not able to give us any information about the company who is handling the currier. I can not understand how this is not a prioritised matter to the airline?! They say that they will reimburse any necessary cost, which is reasonable, but not for over six days - since some things is not replaceable when abroad. This is horrible treatment, they promise things they can’t stand by and doesn’t seem to care.
RouteStockholm to Naples via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2022

"one-hour delay to Vienna"

(Slovakia)

Not Verified | Austrian Airlines made the return trip from Mallorca unpleasant for us with its one-hour delay to Vienna. In the plane, except for a glass of water, everything is paid for by card, including coffee, which the airline should offer free of charge for an hour's flight delay. As a result, we missed the reserved seats on the bus to Bratislava. We had to urgently look for an alternative connection at the airport in Schwechat. If we didn't find anything, we would be forced to take a taxi all the way to Bratislava, and Austrian Airlines would definitely not reimburse us for that. We will never travel with Austrian Airlines again, we would rather not go on vacation. They should improve to a great extent. Spiatočnú cestu z Malorky nám zneprijemnila letecká spoločnosť Austrian Airlines svojím neuvedeným hodinovým meškaním do Viedne. V lietadle okrem pohár vody sa za všetko platí kartou, aj za kávu, ktorú by mala letecká spoločnosť ponúknuť bezplatne za hodinové meškanie letu. Tým pádom sme zmeškali rezervovane miesta v autobuse do Bratislavy. Museli sme narýchlo hľadať náhradný spoj na letisku na Schwechate. Keby sme nič nenašli, boli by sme nútené ísť taxíkom až do Bratislavy a to by nám Austrian Airlines určite nerefundoval. Už nikdy viac s Austrian Airlines nebudeme cestovať, radšej nepôjdeme na dovolenku. Mali by sa zlepšiť a to vo veľkej miere.
RoutePalma de Mallorca to Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2022

"I would not recommend this airline"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | The crew onboard was friendly and polite. The flight was on time and even landed before scheduled arrival time. I would give this airline company a higher rating if it weren’t for the meals they serve onboard. The food in the economy class is literally uneatable. The pasta penne was soaked in water with a disgusting sauce on top. The dessert cake as hard as a rock. My seat neighbors could not eat the food either. Considering the price of the plane ticket this is absolutely unacceptable! I would not recommend this airline to anyone unless you don’t mind bringing your own food onboard.
RouteLos Angeles to Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2022

"luggage still missing after 1 week"

Trip Verified | I had 2 checked luggages and the lady at check-in convinced me to check one of my hand luggages for free. She even offered to check in my daughter's stroller. Very kind of her. Thankfully, I kept the stroller because I needed it at the lay-over in Vienna. When I landed in Tirana, neither of my checked luggages came with me. The smaller luggage came after 2 days, one of the checked bags came after 3 days and the other big luggage still missing after 1 week. So, half of my daughter's clothes, all the supplements and anti-pyretics I got in case my daughter got sick during our trip, and all of my clothing and shoes, altogether with some gifts I got for the people we were going to visit, lost in that luggage. They tell me to send the receipts for the replacement items. What about all I spent to get the luggage and what I have in it? What about all the frustration and the wasted time to find clothes for us when we could be enjoying our vacation as we were supposed to? Our vacation was ruined and all what Austrian airlines customer support tells you is to file the missing luggage report online and the replacement items form online and that's all. The seats were so tight that you had no room for the arms. The meal was horrible. At least the coffee was good. I had to remind the flight attendants to give my daughter the crackers and the meal she was entitled to, even though she had her own seat paid at full price. This was my first time traveling with this company and it's going to be the last.
RouteChicago to Tirana via Vienna

"✅ Trip Verified | "

Trip Verified | Their online system appears to have a massive defect which would cause a tremendous issue. After issuing the reservation that I have provided documentation of, I received a note that appeared to be a scam, claiming my credit card had not approved the charge for the flights I had received confirmation of. Checking my credit card statement, I was charged for the tickets. When contacting Austrian, they stated that having not been paid their system canceled my flights without notifying me. However, their agent then confirmed they had indeed billed my card and their charge was in fact being held against my card. Their agent admitted that they were utterly befuddled by the numerous errors within their system, the error in cancelling my flights, the error in stating they had not been paid, the error in not notifying me of a cancellation, etc. Essentially, she was polite, but could not sort out any reason for the numerous mistakes Austrian had made. I have blocked payment to Austrian and booked another airline as I cannot risk failing to reach Vienna for a business meeting. This should serve as a cautionary tale to check, verify, investigate, and take any other action possible to ensure Austrian has not failed spectacularly in what should be a trivial business transaction.
RouteNew York JFK to Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2022

"lost my 4 luggage in Vienna"

Not Verified | It´s not the first time I have a luggage lost, but Austrian is by far the worst company I have to deal with. They lost my 4 luggage in Vienna and after 8 days, they are still lost. No information, No excuses, impossible to join by any means. The worst airline company ever.
RouteBrussels to Athens via Vienna

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Baggage has been lost for seven days and you cannot get in contact with with anyone and there has been no communication. It has ruined our vacation. I understand if there was communication being made but there has been nothing. Worst customer service.
RouteVienna to Skopje
Date FlownAugust 2022

"worst experience with an airline"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | This was our first experience with Austrian Airlines and it was memorable for all of the wrong reasons. Delays, missed connecting flights, lost luggage, rude service agents. Finally made it to our destination over 24 hours later than scheduled. Luggage is still lost and the website tracking system is absolutely no help. Quite simply, we will never fly with Austrian Airlines again even if it means paying more money to a different airline or taking a longer route to get there. This was my worst experience with an airline in more than 30 years of international travel.
RouteSplit to Warsaw via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Will never ever travel with them again"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Amman to Stockholm via Vienna. One of the worst flights that I had in my entire life! The customer service is very poor and no one is answering me. They lost my bags and didn’t even bother searching for them or updates me about the situation. Will never ever travel with them again.
RouteAmman to Stockholm via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Both of my bags are sitting in Vienna"

Trip Verified | The airline did not transfer my bags from the Vienna leg of my trip. When I arrived at LAX my bag was not on the plane. There were at least 20-30 other people on my flight that did not receive their bags. I was unable to obtain my bag to recheck it onto my domestic flight for the final leg with United Airlines. Since my final leg was with United I could not file a claim with Austrian Airlines. Both of my bags are sitting in Vienna. I am on day six with no bags and no word, despite completing the required claims forms. This is ridiculous. I was in Europe for six weeks and nearly all my clothes are in those bags. The airline is simply not doing what it should be doing to ensure passenger bags are delivered. They are either over-committed on their flights or severely understaffed, either way, the airline obviously does not care about getting bags delivered on time when people depend on them. I would recommend NOT using Austrian Airlines or their affiliate Lufthansa if you want your bags to accompany you on your trip. On a side note, my bags were delayed 8 days on my outbound trip. As an additional comment, the service on the plane was also substandard. The flight attendants were not friendly, appeared annoyed by their responsibilities, and the restrooms were filthy by mid-flight. I saw a flight attendant look inside one of the bathrooms curiously and with visible disgust, but no one ever cleaned it. The main meal was not bad but subsequent snacks and small meals were nothing more than a slice of meat and a slice of cheese on doughy bread.
RouteKrakow to Los Angeles via Vienna