Air New Zealand

"the most amazing service"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I received a call from Blair in the Blenheim office at 7:30pm informing me that my flight at 7:00 am the next morning was canceled., there were no alternatives to travel out of Blenheim and make my appointment in Wellington the next morning. Blair assisted with getting me a flight out of Nelson and still make my important meeting. He arranged transport to Blenheim and very professionally taken away all the stress that comes with a cancellation. This is by far the most amazing service I have ever had with any airline ever!
RouteNelson to Wellington
Date FlownApril 2021

"shifted my wife and I to a Qantas flight"

Trip Verified | Air NZ flight cancelled because of Covid in Auckland so they shifted my wife and I to a Qantas flight. No problem with that except we both paid Air NZ $240 for 3 seats configuration, Meals, extra luggage, priority boarding. None of this was received from Qantas. Despite numerous emails with Air NZ they have refused to refund the money for the services we never received, which is illegal. But they don't care. About time Governments stood up for citizens' consumer rights.
RouteBrisbane to Norfolk Island
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"burning your reputation for a few quick bucks"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | So I booked the wrong flight month on Expedia for some reason, miss-click, tired, whatever the reason. Turn up early thankfully, check in can't find you booking, your flights next month, you need to ring Air NZ office, on phone for 15 mins they then go - sorry you booked though Expedia, they need to change the booking. Expedia app wont let me cancel or change flight so I had to pay for new flight. Air NZ makes me pay an extra $5 to choose a seat, all other seats grayed out, well in a rush now so ok, get on plane, planes only 1/3 full, nickle and diming their customers. Flight ok, masks, no food, 1 hour flight so that's ok. Expedia after not cancelling original flight for over a week of requesting that they do so, now tell me on the phone after I ring, Air NZ policy is that you get a credit to be used within 6 months and needs to be for the same person etc. Really burning your reputation for a few quick bucks.
RouteTimaru to Wellington
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I will not fly with Air New Zealand again"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I was never prompted to check in online for my flight to Dunedin as is normally the case, which meant that when I arrived at the airport I was flatly told I could not board despite having paid for a ticket. No rationale was provided, nor was any sympathy given. I was helpfully told that if I hurried over to customer services, they’d kindly change my flight to the next one in two hours for the low price of $100. I accept responsibility for forgetting to press a button on my phone that would have made everything different, but the fact is there is no practical or ethical reason to deny boarding to somebody because they didn’t check in. I had no checked baggage, there was a seat on that plane that I had paid for, but Air New Zealand sees every failure of their own system as an opportunity to milk more money out of their passengers. I will not fly with Air New Zealand again. One might as well fly with JetStar if budget airline service is what Air NZ gives.
AircraftATR-72
RouteChristchurch to Dunedin
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"accept that its my fault that I was late"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Flight time was 1.25pm at Invercargill airport was reached at 12.58 on check-in kiosk. Kiosk given me ticket check-in closed take to counter. Being to counter and attendant said sorry you need to on next flight which is going through Wellington to Auckland i asked him was just 3 mins late and boarding is not even started. He said sorry cant help. He issued new boarding pass and said i am helping you by not charging you anything. But doesn't even count that i have to take flight via another airport and reach 4 hours later to Auckland. Even explained him situation as well what was happened but no help provided. Was sitting at airport for my next flight NZ8774 boarding time is 13.40pm until 13.53pm boarding gate not even opened. How fair is it that airline can be late for even 13 mins but customer cant be late for 3 mins when boarding is not even started. Shame that we don't have any options to fly without Air New Zealand in New Zealand to some areas where i normally travel. I accept that its my fault that I was late but if boarding not even started why they cant help?
RouteInvercargill to Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"cut out the refreshments"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | The flight from Gisborne to Auckland takes just under an hour. During this time passengers are required to wear face marks. Also during this time a drink of water, a cup of tea or coffee, a biscuit and a lolly are offered, all of which require removal of face masks, which pretty much means that people taking advantage of the refreshments spend almost all of the flight unmasked. I for one am quite happy to go without refreshments for an hour and wear a face mask for the entire flight in the interests of my health, which I did. For goodness sake have some common sense and cut out the refreshments on these short flights.
AircraftQ300
RouteGisborne to Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"The least people can remember is to bring headphones"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Air New Zealand offers screens for each seat but no headphones, I asked but got told by a air crew that should bring our own. The least people can remember is to bring headphones while going on holidays. Every one (kids) are watching videos with no sound.
RouteQueenstown to Auckland
Date FlownDecember 2020

"No refund but instead a credit note"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Was told one day before flying that my flight was cancelled due to being overbooked with social distancing which left me completely stranded. No refund but instead a credit note which I had to chase them to the end of the earth to eventually get.
RouteRotorua to Christchurch
Date FlownAugust 2020

"Customer service was extremely poor"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Unfortunately I left my phone wallet behind. So I went to the Air New Zealand deck for help to receive my booking number while she received my problem straight away. She proceeded to continue to chat with the host beside her. After min she said there was nothing we can do I ask can i use a phone or use a computer to access my email. She said no. She didn't even advise me of a telephone booth. And plainly said there is nothing I can do to access my booking number. So I walked off sat down for 5 minutes the decided to walk down to the eatery while my brother returned my wallet. As I did this I noticed two pay phones on the wall I walked down to the eatery to change a note in my pocket. Went back and rang my partner to receive my booking number. Then went to book in to find gate was closed by 6 minutes. So I asked an Air New Zealand assistant to see if I could still get on my flight. But they were more interested in selling me another ticket than helping me. Customer service was extremely poor.
RouteAuckland to Dunedin
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Air NZ does NOT enforce masks!"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Air NZ does NOT enforce masks! We flew air NZ form LAX to AKL. My wife had a window seat. There was food residue smeared below the window and on her seatbelt when we sat down. We cleaned this up with antiseptic wipes. The major issue was the family in row 52 who did not wear masks for the whole 12 hour flight and when questioned, staff said they can't force anyone to wear them! We has just flown Air Canada from YVR to LAX and it was compulsory or face a fine. We also flew to quarantine from AKL to CHCH and they were compulsory. But we had to endure 12 hours of 4 people with no masks, the closest 2 ft away. Disgraceful in this time and a mockery of all the efforts and suffering people have endured during this pandemic. We are now in a 14 day quarantine. What do you all think, refund of the ticket for putting customers at risk, not addressing a complaint? I have flown Air NZ for 30 years and at the most critical time in modern aviation history and public health and safety, fell flat and didn't care. Disgusted!
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland