Vote Now

Paris CDG Airport

"lack of shops for a quick snack"

Verified Review | The Schengen section where we were needing to connect to Spain. My general impression is that there is a lack of shops for a quick snack and what they have is overpriced even by airport standards. €12 or $18 for what amounted to a Tim Hortons Combo meal. It was a long way from the gate areas and down a level to find the restrooms.(but they were nice). It was crowded, the finger or pier was not wide enough by any normal standards for an airport of this stature. The short-term free WiFi was ok (longer if you log-in with multiple devices) but it seems that Euro-ports are generally not designed to handle any sort of departure delay or gate change. We had to fight our way through a crowd waiting for a delayed / cancelled flight when our flight was called at the same gate. Like, nobody would stand aside for fear of missing out being first in the queue for a plane that may not even show up? Terminal seating of low-comfort. Available free newspapers were not Anglo-friendly. All the services / shops were back in the main hallway or down below. Charles De Gaulle?
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"Would not use this airport again"

Verified Review | Arrived at this airport 14 December 2016. Two check in desks open to process over 500 passengers on our A380 flight. Luckily we were near the front of the huge queue and had over an hour wait to get through. Others were less fortunate and would have spent hours more waiting to be processed. I could not believe a section of the airport could be so badly managed. After that ordeal the baggage carousel broke down adding to the frustration. Absolute disgrace and a very poor introduction to Paris. Paris was fantastic but was glad to get out of the airport. Would not use this airport again.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"immigration line 2 hours long"

Unverified | Appallingly bad passport control. There is absolutely no excuse for the immigration line to be 2 hours long. Same old story, many control booths empty and only 2 officers for hundreds of passengers! Crazy! Charge me more $ if you must, but please properly staff. If France can spend 20 million euro to build a glass wall around the Eiffel Tower it can hire more immigration officers.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"appalling on exiting the airport"

On leaving this airport on 6 February to return to the UK, the security scanning was fine and relatively quick, but when I got in a queue for passport control there was only one operative checking passports. None of the passengers could believe it. The operative was slow, seemed not really to know what she was doing, and all the while, there is a massive queue to be processed. It is without doubt the worst passport control I have ever witnessed at a capital city international airport. My advice to anyone using CDG is that when you arrive, you must go through security and then this shocking passport control poor system they have as soon as you arrive, otherwise you may miss your flight! In comparison when landing at the small airport of Leeds Bradford we were told over the tannoy that due to several planes landing in fairly quick succession, they were apologising to people for any delay at passport control. Not a problem at all. They had about five desks operating and we were through in no time. CDG in Paris is appalling on exiting the airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"a severe lack of control/direction given by staff"

Apart from being packed onto a bus every time you arrive from the UK, you get close to the passport control area fairly quickly (20 minutes or so). However, this is where the problems set in. It is not clear at all who goes where (e-control, EU, Non-EU) and there is a severe lack of control/direction given by staff. There is lots of queue-jumping, which goes completely uncontrolled and unpunished (again due to lack of staff). At the passport control, despite there being at least 30 booths, there was 1 or 2 members of staff for non-EU, and only 1 for EU citizens. There was 1 EU only desk, which seemed to be reserved for French passports, but only when the individual decided that she was working. Consider this when there were in excess of, I would estimate, 5,000 people in the three queues. There were verbal and almost physical altercations breaking out in the queues due to the lack of staff, disorganisation and confusion, and although it is bad every time, this time, despite it being January, it was much worse and seems to be getting worse every time. Something needs to be done, especially considering this is a major airport. We would travel to Orly, however, if there is one of the air traffic strikes (or other strike, which do seem commonplace in France) then they usually cancel those airports first and leave flights to CDG, so we aren’t prepared to take the risk. Arrival is simply a total shambles, there is no hiding from this, and when you should be enjoying the start of your trip, it really takes the enjoyment away. If you can avoid it, then do so until it changes and they have more staff and are better organised. Regarding the return trip, let’s just say it is much easier and more pleasant to get out than it is to get in!

"not properly organized"

The queue for the VAT refund is very messy, and not properly organized. The machines break down and the queue line is not clear with many tourists in groups cutting in. The immigration queue is also very long, not only because of the huge number of people, but the officer serving my queue was chatting with another officer, thus efficiency was degraded.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"cumbersome illogical layout"

Verified Review | I arrived 90 minutes already checked in and with no hold luggage before my flight and yet such was the cumbersome inefficiency of this monstrous airport that I missed my flight. The problems are manifold. Sprawling cumbersome illogical layout with poor signage. Sent to auto passport readers which didnt work so had to re-queue. Only half the passport lanes open leading to massive queue. Another queue for security, and ad hoc shifting of the queue meaning that people behind me ended up in front. Treated as if the delays in security are passengers fault by rude security officials. Crammed output side on security meaning trays can't be reached thus time lost. The stock answer to "where is" seems to be "just there". The only saving grace was that Air France put be on a later flight without charge.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"staff were rude and very unhelpful"

Verified Review | Arrived at Paris CDG airport well before the departure time. After getting our boarding pass we waited in passport control for so long that we missed our flight. Had to buy new tickets to get home. The staff were rude and very unhelpful. We were sent to 3 different counters (45-1hr wait on each) before we received some help. It was the worst experience of my life at a European airport - ignorant staff and clearly lacking in manners. So disappointed.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"security staff were extremely rude from the start"

Verified Review | Well upon arrival to the airport there was not many signs to help guide you on where you need to go. It was my first experience of flying to this airport or Paris it's self and found it hard to get help for the trains and transport. On the way back the first security check was horrendous. The security staff were extremely rude from the start. Hurrying you up and rushing you. Yes I understand that there has to be some sort of urgency but that was beyond a joke. I ended up geting flustered and dropping my luggage. But also the way they deal with luggage flinging it through the trays. Maybe they should treat people with a little bit more respect and common descency. This will be the first and last time I use this airport!
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"vowed never again to book a transit through CDG"

(Austria)

Verified Review | My advice to anyone booking their next trip: avoid a layover in CDG at all costs! I arrived from Toronto on my way to Munich on the 3rd of January - admittedly a heavy travel day - with what I thought was time to spare for the transfer. There were odd bottlenecks in the transit hallways, however, which cost time. The 1st security check was chaotic in the extreme with my belongings being filtered through the x-ray machine along with other passengers' beside me. Asking for directions to my next gate became an adventure of misinformation, of 5 people questioned I received 5 different answers. Upon exiting the bus to terminal 1 our passports and boarding passes were checked by a grumpy employee for whom everything seemed so easy there was no need to explain. Passport control was fine and I had thought to be finally through to my gate - only to be greeted by a 2nd full security check. A number of passengers whose flights were boarding (including mine) asked to be let through or let ahead however there was no help whatsoever from personell. "I'm sorry, you will just have to wait" - what, to watch the gate which is not 10 feet from here, close? The incompetence at that 2nd security check was hard to imagine and I had to bully my way to the front of the line and onto my plane. With stress levels at their maximum and the feeling I had left 10 years of my life (and possibly a few belongings) behind me in the airport. I vowed never again to book a transit through Charles de Gaulle.