Paris CDG Airport

"customer signage was terrible"

Verified Review | My family and I arrived at Paris CDG airport with almost 4 hours until our flight back home to Glasgow today on the 20th of July. The car hire return service at Europe car was great, very fast and efficient service. The airport on the other hand was terrible. We queued for around an hour to drop off our bags, then moved through security where we queued for around another half an hour. From here we moved into the departure lounge with around an hour and a half until our scheduled departure. We went to pick up some food and then moved toward the border control where we had to queue for around an hour to eventually get to our departure gate. The biggest issue with the trip was the border control point where the customer signage was terrible, the queuing system was ineffective causing frustration and anxiety for all the passenger's trying to catch flights and when there was circa 200 people trying to pass through border control when there were only 2 staff members working was ridiculous. France was great, CDG sucked.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"experiences so far have been very positive"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | I have read many negative reviews of Paris CDG airport, but having had occasion to transit through Terminal 2 four times in the last two months my experience has been very positive for the following reasons. Getting to / from the airport: commuter trains run every 6 or 7 minute, reaching the city centre in just over half an hour and can be used with a standard travel pass or zone ticket, without any of those silly airport surcharges found across the world. Terminal 2 is very modern and light. The toilets are new, there is always seating even at peak times, there are free newspapers in the terminal, there are power plugs and business stations if you want to work, free Wi-Fi is fast compared to most airports and there are water fountains dotted around the terminal so you can avoid paying some outrageous price for a water bottle. There are also screens at the various gates that give you some fun – albeit non-essential – information on your flight such as weather at destination, languages spoken by the crew, the name of the captain etc. The security is reasonably fast (the longest I have had to queue on a Friday evening, so a pretty busy time, has been 20 minutes). All in all, my experiences in CDG so far have been very positive.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"very uncomfortable for passengers"

(Spain)

Unverified | Terminal 1 at Paris CDG Airport is very uncomfortable for passengers: few number of seats (and they're not the best to be sit on), the wifi don't work properly (it stops frequently) and the offer to eat something (or have a coffee) there is very poor (just a couple of places). Getting there from the city is quite complicated: you must to take a taxi or RER+CDGVal. Never again.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Security was very arrogant"

Unverified | This airport is the worst I have experienced. My son and I passed through from Washington DC to Heathrow on our return home. I have assistance on travelling, which helped to a certain degree, however it took two hours to get to our gate. Security was very arrogant, I have two replacement joints so need the correct scanners which were not available, so all of us in the situation were subject to body searches, by in our case a very rude woman. To add to that hand luggage was then searched in detail, 3 bottles removed which had travelled to the US, around the US and back from DC, high protection sun screen, due to previous skin cancer incidents, it had to be in hand luggage. They were 200ml bottles almost empty after a month in the US, this same arrogant officer just said "this is France", they were removed. Then they expect travellers to accept and be polite. When taken to our gate by assistance, which was at the far end of a run, with two hours to spare, we found ourselves 15 min walk from loos and refreshments, and told the only way assistance could be used was to go directly to the gate, the wheelchair was taken for the next passenger. No wonder on booking 4 hours was needed on the stop over
Date VisitJuly 2017

"will avoid Paris CDG all together"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | For my trip to Tokyo and back, I had to go between terminals 2E and 2F at Paris CDG Airport. The transfer time between these 2 terminals with passport control is ridiculous. There was only 1 person for more than 300 people in both situations. Specifically on the trip to Tokyo, after waiting for 1h30 in line, 2 officers arrived to help the one that had been working. When people in line cheered the new police officers, a 3rd one showed up and ordered the 2 to not work and the 3 just moved to another room and started chatting. Because of this situation, I almost lost my flight to Tokyo. I was the last person to board. I also have a remark about the SkyPriority line. Since there was only 1 person doing passport control, the normal line, in which I was, barely moved because the people in SkyPriority line always had priority. If airports want to earn money by creating special lines, at least make sure all the other passengers can get the minimum required service. Last but not least, the prices for food in this airport are ridiculously high, even for airport standards! And 90% of the restaurants / cafes were "gourmet", which obviously inflates prices. I know I was in France, but not all food needs to be "gourmet". In the future, I will avoid Paris CDG all together.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"I will be avoiding this airport at all costs"

Verified Review | CDG Airport is an absolute joke - and not a funny one. On arrival we were left standing in a queue with two very tired, hungry, thirsty children (18 months and 6 years old) for over two hours at passport control. Once we finally got through passport control, not one member of staff could tell us where to collect our baggage nor did they really seem to care. Once we were reunited with our suitcases, we discovered we had been delayed for so long, our private transfer had marked us as a "no show" and abandoned us at the airport. Lovely. Things were even worse when departing a week later. While checking in our baggage we were told that they could not allow us to keep my baby's stroller until boarding the aircraft and that we had to check it in with our baggage. I was told I had to go through security without a stroller and could then use an airport stroller until boarding our flight. However, we were then left standing in a queue at passport control for over two hours with one officer to check hundreds of passports. I had to wrestle with an overtired, hot, hungry baby who did not want to be held who could have been sleeping peacefully in his stroller had I been allowed to keep it. I asked a member of staff if she could assist me in finding a stroller - she shrugged and said "many people have babies". My son cried and cried and despite being noticed by several airport staff, not one of them came to offer us any assistance. Two hours later, we made it through passport control, I politely asked again if I could have the use of a stroller to be told they couldn't help me. Very disappointed and it just spoiled the end of what was a lovely family holiday. I can say hand on heart I will be avoiding this airport at all costs in the future.

"immigration extremely slow"

Verified Review | Coming through the EU CH Side of immigration extremely slow. No clear reason. They inspected documents far more than normal. With a Swiss passport they normally look and I pass, today they looked, inspected and otherwise scrutinized everyone's ID and tried to do this with 1 police officer. Two left just after arriving.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Signage in this airport is abysmal"

Unverified | We arrived at Paris CDG Airport on Monday morning to be met with absolute chaos. We queued in passport control for over an hour, then realised that all passport control staff had left their kiosks. They then closed passport control for two hours. We, along with hundreds of other poor passengers, were left standing there, and given no explanation whatsoever about what was going on. We eventually heard a tannoy message saying someone had left their luggage on the carousel. We had a six year old and an 18 month old baby with us. When we at last got through passport control we tried to find our luggage. Signage in this airport is abysmal. For some reason, the Aberdeen flight luggage had disappeared! The staff were so rude and unhelpful when we tried to find out what was going on. Eventually our bags turned up. Unfortunately, by the time we retrieved our luggage and got to the exit, our taxi had decided we were a 'no show' and abandoned us at the airport! What a start to the holiday. Return journey was just the same. We were rudely told we could not take our babys stroller through the airport, and had to check it in with the luggage. We were told we would be able to get an airport stroller at passport control. No such luck. We asked several members of staff and were rudely told 'we have no buggys'. When my daughter asked how we were supposed to look after a sleepy, grumpy little baby without his buggy, the staff member shrugged and said 'lots of people have babies'. Unbelievable. There followed another two hour wait to get through passport control. There was one member of staff checking hundreds of passports. When we eventually go to the gate, we encountered 'self boarding' for the first time. We scanned our boarding passes, made our way towards the plane, and were then asked for our boarding passes AND passports again!! What a complete shambles. Safe to say, we never, ever travel through this terrible airport again. (Or fly with Air France. Review to follow).

"a very good experience"

(Japan)

Verified Review | After all the negative reviews I've read, I was really dreading my 9 hour transit through Paris CDG - my first time at this airport. However, everything was great and went very smoothly. I arrived and departed from Terminal 2E. It is modern, clean, and easy to navigate. I stayed in the Yotel AirHotel, and signage there was plentiful and easy to follow. The terminal's free transit lounge was excellent - some nice areas to sit, a library, plenty of sleeping pods, and a good cafe. Security lines, though long, kept moving and staff were pleasant. Interactive digital information kiosks provided real-time updates of the length of time required to get from one point to another. The departure lounge had a good selection of shops and cafes and was a pleasant place to spend time. Overall, a very good experience.

"a real nightmare"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Arrival on 06/25 with AF1313 at Terminal 3; departure on 06/26 on TG931 from Terminal 1. First time at Paris CDG in nearly 20 years; never had a good impression before, it was even worse this time. Lack of cleanliness and proper illumination is possibly even worse than 20 years ago. On arrival, the carousel screens didn't display which flight's baggage they were delivering (for some reason they were stuck to a flight that arrived hours before), so there was a lot of chaos. After finally retrieving the baggage, I found very poor - and sometimes contradicting - signs indicating the Airport hotels. Departure at Terminal 1 was even worse: extremely long queues everywhere, even at the so called "Access No1" which was served by only one staff, who was clearly much more busy in a conversation with her colleague than clearing the passengers. The result is that it took more than 25 minutes to pass the passport check - on exit, and with an EU passport. Also, after entering the Access No1 gate, but well before the passport check booth, you'll find a screen showing a video that for some reasons tells you that you can only access to gates from 10 to 48 from there. I was at gate 55 and there were a lot of people, including me, not sure if we had to move to a different passport check gate or not. Luckily, the girl at the passport check told me that I can reach gate 50-58 from there; but when I asked for the Star Alliance Lounge I was sent to the gate satellite, while the lounge is actually in the opposite direction. Again, extremely rude and unprofessional staff at baggage screening. I was told a lot of stuff in French and when I asked for an English translation, the woman at the desk looked very annoyed. Further, as the seats at the gates were not enough for all the people boarding the plane and the baggage screening is right at the gate entrance, people waiting to board were literally overflowing into the baggage screening area. My last memory at CDG 20 years ago was of extremely rude and unprofessional staff at JAL Business Class check-in and this time I had the same experience at Thai Royal Silk Check-In. Both JAL and Thai are very good and caring airlines, so it's really a pity that check-in procedures at CDG are apparently done by airport staff instead of airline staff. As a conclusion, CGD was a real nightmare that I will carefully avoid for at least another 20 years.
Date VisitJune 2017