Paris CDG Airport

Review by (United States) 30th July 2015

This review applies to anyone contemplating traveling from Paris to the United States on United Airlines via CDG. I have been in and out of this airport at least 25 times since it opened in 1974. I can remember when terminal 1 (the oldest) was state of the art. It was never intended to handle the number of passengers now shoved thru it. The entire facility has been gradually going downhill for at least 15 years, but my most recent transit will be my last. From now on, I'll fly to London and take the train. June 6, I arrived via TGV station in terminal 2. Theoretically, I could have arrived early enough to have plenty of time to catch my flight, if only UA were still in terminal 2. It is not, and the queues in terminal one are unbelievably long. I knew I wanted to get to the Ibis hotel near terminal three. The signage in terminal 2 is woefully inadequate. I finally asked the SNCF information people where the shuttle was. I figured chaos would ensue when I learned that United had moved into terminal 1, so I rode the shuttle around to scope it out. I found a United information employee. She told me that I "only needed" to get to the airport 2.5 hours early. Fortunately, I did not believe her. I then backtracked from terminal 1 two stops to terminal 3. Again signage was lacking. I finally went outside, and saw the sign for the Ibis. June 7. Snaked my way back to terminal 3, then shuttle train to terminal 1. I arrived 4 hours early, along with at least 150 others for my flight. There are no facilities: No water, no bathrooms, no food, no chairs. Just an endless line from which everyone on my flight was eventually separated and put into a second line, unmoving, and standing, so the 5 agents assigned to tourist class could process the 200 or more souls on the flight before mine. The only water was at the Starbucks, 7€ a bottle. We all stood in line for 3 hours, just to check in and drop bags. Quick march to customs and immigration. I seem to remember a tangle of moving sidewalks. There were 300 people in line, and I think 7 open windows, but 4 were for EU passport holders. Some UA personnel took pity on us and started handing out bottled water. Quick march to security, where there were only about 50 people in line ahead of me. There were only two lines. By the time I was screened, my plane technically had already left. Very quick march to the gate. More standing. No chairs. United divides us into several boarding groups, depending on how much you paid, but once you get to the gate, everyone in bucket class waits together, mostly standing. This was a nightmare.
Date Visit30-06-2015

Review by (Ireland) 29th July 2015

Chaotic check-in and passport control was extremely slow. Arrived at the airport two hours ahead of departure and just made it to the gate in time for boarding. A terrible experience.
Date Visit29-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th July 2015

Lack of signposting. Lack of staff on bag checking area. Unfriendly, ignorant, unhelpful and rude security staff. (The incidences of loud discussions in French about customers is unforgiveable-some of us cannot speak French fluently, but can understand it fine). A lack of facilities once you enter the waiting areas. Poor all round, I'm afraid.
Date Visit24-07-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (France) 24th July 2015

I totally disagree with such awful comments on CDG. Of course, facilities and customer orientation may be improved but flying from and to CDG is always a pleasure. Infrastructures are excellent, signage very good and I personnaly never queued long at security check (last time on July 21st 2015: 1 minute waiting).
Date Visit24-07-2015

Review by (Turkey) 16th July 2015

Arrival - Nothing in particular, was able to pass through the passport control in a minute. Departure - By taking the RER, it's extremely complicated to arrive. After leaving the train at the stop "Airport Charles de Gaulle-1" , there is only one exit (which isn't clearly marked neither in English nor in French) that can be used to go to airport. The others are connections to other trains (I suppose.) The information desk there helped me, but if I didn't speak French it wouldn't be possible. Because of the heatwave, it was extremely hot in the airport, but the airport staff continuously distributed water to keep us hydrated. Wi-Fi was unlimited and free. There were some charging stations, but most of the cables were broken. Power outlets between seats were present.
Date Visit16-07-2015

Review by (United States) 16th July 2015

Absolutely no organization. Everyone was crowding and pushing to get through to the baggage drop off and then the baggage was piled into groups because the conveyor belt was broken. Many people never received their baggage in New York. Also no signs directing people to the proper place. Terrible.
Date Visit16-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 5th July 2015

Badly signposted, long transit connection times, lack of information points and disinterested unhelpful staff and officials. My suggestion would be to avoid at all cost if possible. Due to a cancelled flight I had the misfortune to connect through CDG after years of avoiding the place. Nothing has changed. In fact I was in Terminal 1 looking for the Priority Pass lounge and the same dusty glass and bouncing walkways were unchanged as I remember on a school trip once.
Date Visit05-06-2015

Review by (Switzerland) 17th June 2015

Travelled from Luxembourg to Toronto via Paris CDG. First Leg was with Luxair on AF Codeshare (arriving in Terminal 2G), second leg with Air France, departing from Terminal 2E, Gates M. From the Luxair Embraer to the 2G Terminal is a 50 m walk, neither bus nor gangway, so very fast. Inside the Terminal less than 100 meters to a small Transfer area, that is unambiguously labelled. It pays to check the gate for the next flight in terminal 2E right here. Passport control is in this room with four counters open and no queue, so 5 minutes after leaving the plane we were in the bus waiting area. A person was loudly calling for anyone for 2E gates M, so we passed the short queue and were immediately on the bus. Gates M are the closest, so the bus transfer takes under ten minutes. No further checks in terminal 2E, especially no security. The 1h45 minutes for transfer proved ample, so that we could visit the nice lounge in 2E M. We were worried based on the many negative reviews here, but our experience was close to perfect.
Date Visit17-06-2015
Airport Shopping N/A

Review by (Ireland) 31st May 2015

Transited through terminal 2E between Tokyo and Dublin on 29th May 2015. Landed at 4pm. I went to flight connections along with a number of passengers from same flight. Terminal was in lockdown due to security alert. Other passengers who were transferring to other terminals were allowed to go. I was left alone with airport staff security and soldiers waiting for alert to end. They were all very polite but there was a lot of confusion. Once security alert was over I was allowed to proceed. Had to go through security scanning where an unopened bottle of water I had got on my flight from Tokyo was confiscated. This seemed ridiculous as I had clearly come through flight connections and got the water on my flight. There was a good selection of restaurants but very expensive. I went to the food court. The service was poor staff were awol and unfriendly. Restaurant wasn't very clean either. Toilets were also not very clean. Was in noticeable contrast to Tokyo. Building is a lovely design to look at though. My flight out was delayed with no explanation or announcement made about it. Even at the gate Air France staff gave no information about the delay. A disappointing experience at CDG.

Review by (South Africa) 11th May 2015

We regularly transit through CDG airport. Yesterday 9 May we land on an international flight at terminal 2D with the Air France ticket. The international transfer passage is locked. There are no ground staff at all. The only people are the passport control officials. No one would help us. The person who eventually could speak English turned out to be extremely rude and insulting. Luckily we had Schengen visas so that we exited and re-entered at the terminal 2E.
Queuing Times N/A