Miami Airport

Miami Airport customer review

I recently had to do a trip via Miami (not staying there just in transit). I had 2.5 hour transfer time - had to wait 2hrs to get through passport control alone. There were about 20 people in front of me when clearing passport control I had to collect my hold luggage because Miami airport have a policy of not allowing baggage on connecting flights then I had to re-enter it into the system and I had a connecting flight. If you have a section for American residents and a section for Visitors why not do a section for people in transit who have connecting flights within 2 hours. Sorry if this insults the people in charge of the running of Miami airport but it really would help with the frustration of some of your passengers who are not entering the USA but on a connecting flight! It seems to work everywhere else in the world? When I came with my bag to the desk for my connecting flight I was asked why I was so late - can you imagine my frustration knowing I'd landed 2 and a half hours before and being asked why I'm late !? Get it right Miami!

Miami Airport customer review

MIA is my hometown airport. For someone who has been using this airport all his life I'm use to the construction/traffic etc - so I know how to plan my way around these obstacles. Concourse J (the new one) is beautiful and different to the rest of the terminal. Immigration lines are a breeze as well as check in. As for the rest of the airport; and I mean AA territory (literally) this is where most of the complaints stem from. The check in area is very small the roof is low it feels gloomy the carpet is outdated etc. Then you have the entrance to Concourse D in addition to a very popular restaurant all established right smack in the middle of this small check in area. In other words it does get very crowded at times in this extremely busy part of MIA. To add insult to injury Concourse A is temporarily closed - so all traffic that was shifted to that area at one point is now back to Concourse C/D. Folks brace yourselves if you are flying AA from MIA for the next 2-3 years because the lines will be outrageous. Check in online at home if you can (unless you have bags or traveling internationally) and get to the airport EARLY. Regarding customs/immigration arriving with AA this should no longer be an issue (time wise) as most other carriers that shared the E immigration facility together with AA have now moved to the new Concourse J. So AA (together with only a few OneWorld partners) has the E immigration facility to themselves. The frustration may start once immigration/customs is clear - bags have been rechecked and one has to "find" the connecting gate. The signage is pretty clear for those who have to endure this but it can be a bit complicated I will admit. Just ask for directions and you will be guided accordingly. It does involve having to go to level 2 since the exit for E Immigration is in level 1. The elevators and escalators are behind recheck. Once all construction to what will be known as "The North Terminal" for AA is complete (someday) then things will start to ease out for AA passengers at MIA. Unfortunately it will still take some time as building an airport on top of another one without being able to close it is extremely time consuming. For those with a layover in MIA its like any other airport - you have your shops restaurants and there is a hotel inside the terminal by Concourse E where you can go to the Top of the Port Restaurant and enjoy a meal or cocktail while waiting for your next flight - away from all the terminal drama. It almost feels like an airline frequent flyer club. Surprisingly the hotel is known as "The Miami International Airport Hotel". Regarding some comments complaining about how everyone at the airport only speaks Spanish or speak something that sounds like French Miami's population is predominantly from Latin America and the Caribbean. Please don't feel stunned or out of place just because you hear anything but English in your surroundings. All employees that work directly with customer service do need to speak English. For someone who lives in South Florida I will continue to use MIA. Even if the fare is slightly higher then departing from FLL unless the drive is worth it I will stick to MIA. FLL is also becoming heavily congested perhaps worst then MIA.

Miami Airport customer review

Flew in from LHR arriving one hour late at what was supposed to be the peak time for European arrivals. Having read numerous reviews negatively commenting on the airport I was prepared for the worse but - I found the airport clean and tidy and although it was a very long walk from the arrival gate to immigration it was well sign posted. Immigration took some while to get through (one passenger every 12 minutes) simply because all of the computers broke down just as our flight got to the desks. Apart from some very unusual questions (why was my wife not travelling with me?) immigration was straight forward and polite. By then because of the computer delay all of our bags had arrived and been unloaded off the conveyor belt. After negotiating the two floors change between arrivals and passenger transport to the city getting a fixed fare taxi was easy. The return experience was just as straightforward. Security was very thorough and duty free very efficient. There were plenty of seats at the departure gate (A18) although the departure area is somewhat light on passenger facilities such as shops and eating places. A good travelling experience.

Miami Airport customer review

The lack of "no stars" means I have had to give Miami 1 star. This airport is truly the last stop before Hell. I travelled around the States for 2 months late last year and found the majority of airport staff to be professional friendly and helpful - until I reached Miami "International" which is filthy expensive and the unfriendliest place in the States. My partner & I are keen to return to Key West next year but even keener to avoid flying into Miami again.