Miami Airport

"staff members have the worst attitude"

Trip Verified | Horrible airport. Signs were not clear for security check points and terminal J TSA sent us all the way to H security check point for precheck only to be routed through the wrong line. Terminal employees cut in line and held the line up at check points. All Bathrooms are nasty, staff members have the worst attitude and lack professionalism. Restaurant was fully staffed but no one was “working”. Obviously there was a full bar and no one knew how to make a Mojito. Hope I don’t have to move through Miami soon.
Date VisitJune 2018

"toilets so smelly and dirty"

Not Verified | It's a pity, that such a nice, big airport, has women's toilets so smelly and dirty. I refer specifically to the bathroom that is next to checkpoint # 3 (American Airline). It's the dirtiest bathroom I've seen since I live in USA. I hope this serves to improve the hygiene conditions of it. | Es una pena,que un Aeropuerto tan bonito y concurrido ,tenga los baños de mujeres tan malolientes y sucios.Me refiero especificamente al baño que esta al lado del punto de control#3 (American Airline). Es el baño mas sucio que yo he visto desde que vivo en Usa . espero que esto sirva para que mejoren las condiciones higienicas del mismo.
Date VisitJune 2018

"clean and easy to navigate"

Not Verified | The airport is clean and easy to navigate, you don't have to walk miles between gates. There are not so many restaurants as one might expect, but there is a sufficient variety of dining options. Arrivals: Passport control lines are long, but that is the case in most places. The "fastrack" option or using an automated machine and then passing a receipt to the officer actually takes longer because you have to take 5 minutes to use the machine and then join the back of the queue of people who didn't use it. As always the staff shout at you like they are herding cattle. Departures: Check-in is simple and well signposted, queues are short as there are a lot of desks. Security takes a while, the priority line is not much shorter than the main lines. As with most Americans the staff are very rude and unpleasant. One of them pointed at me and shouted "shoes" whilst another shook his head and announced to the waiting line "we shouldn't have to tell y'all the obvious". It transpired this obnoxious exchange was in fact their attempt to ask me to remove my footwear and place it in the scanning machine, something I would say about 30 percent of airports require, so to me not obvious. But perhaps it was obvious to "y'all".
Date VisitMay 2018

"it is not a pleasant airport"

Not Verified | Can MIA achieve any level of competence? I have long boycotted it and advised others to avoid for immigration purposes, and it is not a pleasant airport to negotiate in terms of TSA security. But I did opt to use for transiting between BA6578 (operated by AA) TPA-MIA and BA0208 MIA-LHR on 21 May. On paper, I had two hours for the transit. Flying time between TPA and MIA is just 37 minutes, but weather-related issues made for a TPA departure that was 20 minutes late. On landing at MIA, we then taxied to a halt that lasted 40-45 minutes before a gate was found for us. Pax with tight connections grew anxious as we waited. The AA captain himself lost patience with the false promises of any early move to a gate. A rush to connecting gates and disgustingly dirty bathrooms ensued when we finally deplaned. BA0208 was just starting to board when I finally reached my gate. This was located in a subterranean area of stygian gloom, the waiting customers looking like lost souls, doubtless with their own negative opinions of MIA.
Date VisitMay 2018

"hard to find the luggage claim area"

Not Verified | My family and I traveled from Miami to Rhode Island with Frontier Airlines - great deals, by the way. Overall I have to say our experience at the airport was fair. It was hard to find the luggage claim area after we landed and it seems like most people there spoke Spanish. One good thing I have to say is we used www.parkon.com/mia for our airport parking reservations. Great ROI. I like that MIA is expanding and upgrading it's features.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Absolutely awful"

Trip Verified | Absolutely awful. At least 90 minutes to transfer from Jamaica to Raleigh even though we were traveling in first and had both Global Entry and TSA pre. Total chaos.
Date VisitMay 2018

"security lines were horrible"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | We went on a trip to Orlando and because we couldn't find a fair price for a flight we opted to fly out of Miami. We arrived at midnight so not much to be said about that. Arrival and luggage was ok as was the transportation to the rental cars. On the way back home however, we 'experienced' this airport. The security lines were horrible. Everyone walks around at an immensly slow speed. One person can't be bothered with helping out others. No real info on who needs to go through regular detection gates and who needs to be bodyscanned. Our carry ons were taken apart after being scanned and it took one single security officer about half an hour before he went through our stuff to check. I don't mind that my carry ons need extra screening for whatever reason but please, do it at a decent speed. The security lines were chaotic at best. Once through security I can't say the airport was dirty but the amenities were very limited as was the seating. Once home I also noticed that the TSA cut the security belt around my suitcase open with bolt cutters, even when it had a TSA lock. And they must have had a key since the suitcase as well had a security TSA lock which was correctly opened. I also put a special cloth sleeve around my suitcase to protect it from wear and scratches which I didn't even bother putting back on. When waiting, there is free WiFi but only for 45 minutes. Great when WiFi was a novelty but nowadays simply incomprehensible. Miami Airport is truly on my to-avoid-list of airports now. I guess when visiting Orlando and the airfare is to expensive, you are even better off flying to Atlanta and drive to Orlando.

"Took nearly 2 hours"

Not Verified | Never change here if you can avoid it. Took nearly 2 hours to get through immigration and then we had to run through airport and push to the front of security in order to make our connecting flight (which we had already allowed a 2 hours layover for!). The staff couldn't understand what they were doing, we were queuing into an area where we had to get ESTA receipts and then 45 mins later another load of planes arrive and get guided into a similar area which is inexplicably not being used, with the result that people who had arrived 45 mins after us got through immigration quicker due to poor poor queue management. Cannot understand why those on connecting flights need to do the immigration process, transferring in the UK doesn't require this and it seems really unnecessary when you aren't even leaving the airport.
Date VisitApril 2018

"the worst we experienced"

Not Verified | As an American citizen, I can say that the Miami Internationals airport customs was the worst we experienced after visiting at least 8 other countries in Southeast Asia. Why is there not a separate line for Americans? Every other country does this. Why do I have to wait 2 hours in line so that someone can approve my customs information in 2 minutes! I pay taxes and the salaries of custom officials - foreigners don’t - so make it easy for your own citizens to pass through. How hard is that to understand. Every other country we visited understand that. But, that’s US government for you.

"chaotic and horrible"

Trip Verified | From the moment we got off the plane every single employee we encountered in customs and immigration were disrespectful, rude and even down right mean. One gentleman’s job was specifically to tell people which line to filter into and yet he managed to sound extremely annoyed with every human being he came in contact with. The line was painfully long in immigration especially for the non-citizens and when I tried to ask a question to one employee she interrupted me mid question to tell me to keep walking. She treated the next two people who approached her in this same manner. The two women trying to organize the line did it by yelling and talking in bossy, annoyed tones to the hundreds of innocent people who were all just trying to do what they said. When someone made a mistake, heaven forbid if you didn’t exactly understand what “go to the end” means when the room is the size of a football field, then that poor person was berated by the employee who then walked away shaking her head as if every human was an idiot. After our first two negative interactions I started talking to my kids about how we should treat people. They could see how the employees we treating everyone and they could tell that we were just trying to obey whatever “rules” were in place to avoid being singled out. Unfortunately we saw employees act like school yard bullies well over a dozen times and didn’t see one kind exchange in the entire 2 hours that we spent in the Miami airport. Chaotic and horrible.