Lyon Airport

"good bye for ever"

Not Verified | I have just read (11/2/2018) recent reviews to see if anything has improved since my last visit, after which I vowed never to use Lyon airport again. I now have a smug smirk on my face and a glow in my heart at such emphatic proof of the wisdom of my decision to avoid the aggressive incompetence I have endured at the 'Worst Airport In Europe'. I now use other airports further south, (e.g. Nimes) and take the TGV to Lyon. This, I have found, takes very little extra time and gives so much less hassle. As I am now elderly, grey haired and bearded I can well do without the dreadful stress created by passage through Lyon, nor will I accept to be shown such contempt by people paid to serve me. Good Bye, Lyon. Good Bye for ever! In the ratings below, N/A stands for "Not Available".
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"Unacceptable waiting times"

Trip Verified | This has got to be the worst airport experience I have had in years, and I travel very often internationally. Unacceptable waiting times (even when not busy), confusing directions and appalling customer support make this airport the pits. Strongly recommend that it is not used, either for arrivals, departures or connections. Simply the worst airport I have seen in years of regular travel. Absolutely avoid if possible. In 20 years of regular business travel, this is the only airport I have ever blacklisted. Never again.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"terminal is poorly detailed and planned"

Not Verified | The new terminal is poorly detailed and planned. The terminology is worse - why not just call it 'Terminal 0' instead of T1 Hall B or whatever it's called (Hall A?). Queues are everywhere with security screening epitomising the worst of French bureaucracy. But it is the shoddy detailing, poor workmanship and cheap materiality of the new terminal that really disappoint. Lyon is the culinary capital of France but the airport is the architectural equivalent of a McDonalds. The only good thing about the airport is the train station.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"never had such a poor customer experience"

Not Verified | The worst airport in terms of flow management and customer experience. The airport was packed. They refused calling the travelers from a given flight to allow them to pick up the flight on time. I personally asked whether they could do an announcement but they refused to do it. I am traveling up to 100 days a year to all continents. I have never had such a poor customer experience. It is a pity as their new terminal is well equipped. I will now fly from Geneva or Zurich. The management team should engage their employees and make them proud to achieve excellence in security and customer experience.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"facilities of the new Terminal are top of class"

Not Verified | I came across this list of comments and thought I need to balance the views. I commute every week from Lyon so I have used the airport probably more than 500 times. T3 is a terminal for discount airlimes only and was built only for as a transition period. The queues are mainly due to the terorist threat. France applies a strict checking policy outbound but also inbound. The facilities of the new Terminal are top of class. Still a lot of walking but again due to a transition period as the exit of the new terminal is not finished. To the point of the writers the staff are generally a bit complacent but getting better. Excellent business lounges. Once the transitions are finish LYS worth a thorough professional review for the ranking to be up to date. No vested interest other than beeing a user.

"30 mins queuing"

Trip Verified | Despite the new terminal the lack of personnel at passport control in Lyon upon arrival still leaves much to be desired. 30 mins queuing for one passport booth for EU citizens whilst the queue for non EU citizens was moving faster and with two booths open! Madness. Get it together Lyon!

"always a bad time"

Trip Verified | With 50 airports to my credit, I can say that the one in Lyon is certainly one of the worst. In addition to being incredibly badly done, everything is overpriced, it is filthy and nothing works, the staff is choked, lazy, uncomfortable and highly incompetent. Especially the staff of Aviapartner, no matter what your request, it is "we do not" and you disturb them, they will let you know, I never saw that, bewildering. His reputation precedes him around the world, always a bad time | Avec une cinquantaine d'aéroports à mon actif, je peux dire que celui de Lyon est certainement un des pires. Outre le fait qu'il soit incroyablement mal fait, tout y est excessivement cher, qu'il soit d'une saleté sans nom et que rien ne fonctionne, le personnel y est poussif, fainéant, désagréable et hautement incompétent. En particulier le staff d'Aviapartner, peu importe votre demande, c'est "on fait pas" et vous les dérangez, ils vous le feront savoir, jamais je n'ai vu cela, ahurissant. Sa réputation le précède à travers le monde, toujours un mauvais moment.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"whole experience was extremely stressful"

Verified Review | We booked easyjet flight EZY2426 departing 14.50pm on Thursday 26th October with Special Assistance for my husband. Our taxi delivered us to the airport at 11am. Check in staff told us we could not check in until 12.50pm - 2 hours before departure. We checked in at the specified time and requested the special assistance, which I believe is administered by Samic. A wheelchair arrived to take us to Security and the person pushing the wheelchair left us there. The female Security staff were abrupt, unfriendly and rude and treated my 80 year old husband in a wheelchair like a suspected criminal. He was stripped of his shoes, belt, cardigan and socks and physically patted down. This was uncomfortable and humiliating for him. We travel frequently and have never been treated so badly. Nobody spoke English. We speak reasonable French but the staff chose not to understand. I felt sorry for a woman travelling with her elderly, disabled Mother who had a CPAP breathing machine - the same model my husband checked through Security. His went through ok, but she was made to unpack the whole thing and each piece was put laboriously through the X-ray machine which then stopped working. Finally we were cleared to go, but there was nobody to push the wheelchair. I had the luggage so could not do it myself. A man who worked for Samic continuously shouted loudly into his mobile phone. We waited several more minutes but nobody came to collect us. I then spotted the original assistant who helped us, but he disappeared again. I approached the shouting man who pretended not to understand that I was asking when someone would come to collect us He spoke in French to the effect that he had other people to deal with and we had to be patient. The clock in the meantime was ticking. More minutes passed and I saw a "Manager" passing through. He spoke English and I explained we were concerned we might miss our flight. He made a call and assured us that Special Assistance would come soon. Finally a man appeared and we were taken to another holding area near a lift. Then he left. We waited and waited. The gate closing time of 14.20pm had passed. I was getting more anxious as were the 4 other people travelling to different destinations. No information, nobody came. We just had to wait and hope someone would appear. At 14.45pm we were taken to another place where we had to wait for the ambi lift as my husband cannot climb the aircraft steps. It was now 14.50pm - the time the plane was due to depart. We finally boarded the aircraft at 14.55pm believing we must be the last passengers to board instead of the first, but the attendant said that 36 passengers were still missing - delayed by the long queues at passport control. They eventually boarded and the aircraft took off over 30 minutes late. The whole experience was extremely stressful. We will think twice before using this airport again. Disfunctional, rude staff with no sense of urgency, poor organisation and chaotic passport control. The Chief Executive of Lyons airport should review the performance of the Special Assistance company and/or employ a more effective provider. Some Security staff need customer service training, and queues in Passport Control are delaying passengers trying to board. So staffing is a problem there. Truly shocking customer service and experience.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"treated very badly at the customs control"

Verified Review | I was treated very badly at the customs control, the lady simply refused to listen to me and did not speak English, only French. She was very rude and did not want to give her name. It is simply ridiculous that at an international Airport like Lyon there are no bilingual custom officers working. It was not my fault that my personal possessions had gone missing after it went trough the luggage scan.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"dysfunctional for several reasons"

Unverified | I spend summers in the area and land and depart from this airport. It is dysfunctional for several reasons: its size and layout incapable of handling nearly 10 millions yearly passengers, but mostly the carelessness and disregard of employees at the baggage control area. I’ll describe the latest incident that says it all. My wife has a metallic hip replacement that beeps whenever she goes through an airport detection device. After going through the device, she advises the security guard of her predicament, which usually prompts the guard to pass a hand-held detection device by her hip to confirm the origin of the beep. This has been our experience at many international airports we’ve gone through over the last 12 months including Orlando, Miami & Daytona Beach, Florida, Berlin, Germany, Barcelona and Seville, Spain, Charlottesville, North Carolina, and Bogotá, Colombia. In its infinite wisdom, the Saint Éxupéry Airport has a different procedure: When my wife’s hip triggered the beep, she had to remove her shoes, put them through the baggage scanning device, and walk through the device again. After the second beep, she had to go through the humiliating experience of being palpated throughout. When I asked why they don’t use a hand-held device instead of hands, their answer was “those are the rules” adding “that’s how it’s done anywhere in the world.” Then we walked towards passport control where there were at least 50 people standing waiting for someone to man the booths. After waiting about 15 minutes, I went back to baggage control to find out what caused the delay and was told, “that’s why you have to arrive 3 hours before your flight”.
Date VisitSeptember 2017