Lyon Airport

"information hard to come by"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Disorganised! Up to date information hard to come by, arrivals and departures boards several hours behind. Nothing about which terminal or check in counter to go to until everything well underway so had to keep eyes open and work it out for myself. Not enough staff to process passengers at any stage - check in, security and passport control. Departure gates kept changing, again didn’t find out until I got to it. Toilets not checked regularly, done left filthy for hours and supplies running out. Biometric passport scanners not working. Most inefficient airport I have been to.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"airport is a real nightmare"

Not Verified | This airport is a real nightmare and a shame. Several hundred people queueing with only 2 policeman controling passports. European passports line closed. Une veritable honte. Le probleme est connu et ne change malheureusement pas.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | I wasn’t expecting much after reading the reviews on here but I was pleasantly surprised by my experience both arriving and departing this airport (specifically terminal 1). Didn’t have an issue with long queues at any point. Was impressed by the volume of staff when departing helping you proceed quickly through the security checkpoint. My friend had further checks done to some of her belongings which was handled quickly/professionally. The departure lounge was light/airy with seating absolutely everywhere along with sockets (both power/USB) in abundance. The food options were plentiful, if not slightly over priced (which is expected as far as airports go), was really surprised by the offerings of a place called EXKi as the food really was outstanding. The entire airport architecturally is impressive and helps enforce a feeling of calm. Honestly if you think you’ve been to a bad airport try flying through Luton. The only bad thing I really have to say is it’s a shame the airports operators (who also operate the tram to central Lyon) don’t offer any alternative public transportation service to get into Lyon (not even a bus). As a result they hold a monopoly and the prices are extortionate (€16 one way).
Date VisitJune 2018

"most poorly organised airport"

Trip Verified | Well here I am again experiencing Europe’s most poorly organised airport. I have now been sitting on the plane over an hour waiting for people to fight their way through departure security to reach the gate. What a bunch of complete useless idiots must run this place. Honestly a child could do a better job. Imagine the stress caused to the people late in the queue. This kind of incompetence is close to criminal.

"hemmed in like cattle"

Trip Verified | We were called to our gate for the Easyjet flight to London. This meant passing through police control. However the police were at lunch. We stood for half an hour between two gates, hemmed in like cattle, while the police finished eating and turned up at 2pm. There were announcements in French so fast that the French couldn't understand and in English spoken by someone who hardly speaks English so that the Brits understood nothing. The police clearly don't care. Oh and they let a woman with a full face veil past control without even looking at her face. In France the full face veil is banned in public spaces and I would have thought that, in an airport, the person should be checked as to who might be under that veil. Once we got through the police control we had to wait in a lounge with almost no seats. I found a table to park but there were many elderly people forced to stand yet again. Terrible.
Date VisitJune 2018

"worst airport I've experienced"

Trip Verified | Worst new airport I've experienced. Statist architecture nightmare. No thought for customer experience. Car rental 20min+ 2km walk from terminal. Or wait for bus with no wait time indicator. Terrible signage. Crazy long queue at security with stupid organisation. 30min + on Tue morning. No priority line. Another 15min queue at immigration. No priority. Avoid they have no clue.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Horrible experience"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Terminal 1 B is a disgrace. Security screening is disorganised. Long queues, stupid tray system that is not efficient, staff that are not well trained. Flying to Belgium means you have to go through passport control. The electronic passport system is not working. Horrible experience.
Date VisitMay 2018

"pretty appalling"

Trip Verified | From our perspective, the couple of points come out of this experience. Although I am from Lyon, I doubt I want to come and visit my family and friends so often because they don't seem to be able to offer a decent airport experience, this wasn't the best use of our time and money. The airport is a great tool but they don't seem to make use of it. Airport organisation need to train their employees to be more customer focused. Employees need to work as a team and not say 'it is not my problem / fault' as this is not acceptable. Employees must be polite and welcoming. Make use of all the security gates, employ more staff and get people through in under 10 minutes like any decent airport. They should think about having a queue strategy. Maybe offer a refreshment or money back in this situation. The various problems we encountered could happen in isolation and it wouldn't be a big deal but when you add them together it is pretty appalling. Speaking with other travellers, they maybe didn't complain as it requires time to put feedback together, but I can ensure they share our feelings. If I knew clearly how much we paid BA for the airport experience I would ask for money back but I can't.
Date VisitApril 2018

"incompetence to a new level"

Not Verified | There are airports that are the epitome of efficiency. There are average airports, there are slow and inefficient airports. Then there is Lyon. It takes incompetence to a new level, unmatched by any others I gave passed through. Firstly the design. It has several terminals, and the Rhonexpress shuttle stops near none of them. A long walk (and I do mean long) with no protection from the weather takes you to your terminal. Once there you have to scan your boarding pass to get into departures. Or rather you have to queue to do so. And queue. And queue. Not because there are huge numbers of passengers, but because most of the machines did not work, and those that did, did so only intermittently, and the staff tasked with managing this area were frankly indifferent. Then onto security screening. Another long wait. Here, the machinery did not work properly and there were far too few staff, and those that there were, were not imbued with any sense of urgency. You have to strip even more than anywhere else and then wait with bare feet and trousers falling down (removal of all shoes and belts being a requirement) as your possessions slowly pass through the creaking machinery. Then another walk. A long long walk. A really long walk. Passport control consisted of two bored policemen slowly glancing at passports as the line grows ever longer and passengers start to panic as their flights are called over the tannoy (assuming they can hear the distorted sounds put out by the public address system, which fails in its basic requirement of being comprehensible), the panic increasing as they are warned that their flights are about to close, and (unless they did as we did, and forced our way to the front – sorry to anyone we pushed ahead of) then anger as the flights close. We managed to get on our flight, but only just, and were the last to do so. I liked Lyon. We spent a lovely week there, seeing the sights and eating the food. This experience really put a dampener on the holiday, and we would certainly never revisit the city, unless we could find an alternative method of travel.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Staff at best indifferent"

Trip Verified | Frankly appalling. Huge queues to get through security. Staff at best indifferent if not downright rude and obstructive. No evidence that senior managers were gripping the situation. The plight of those at risk of missing flights entirely, which I believe a number did, not being addressed in any consistent and effective way. Still less with any pretence of sympathy or concern. People who had stood in line for an hour or more being re-allocated to new queues as staff closed check points without warning, explanation, any form of apology or sense of concern. Easyjet, who were helpful and supportive, held flight doors open until 10 minutes before departure to allow late passengers, which included my young daughter and her teenage friend, to board at the very last minute along with a number of other passengers who had begun the check process the requested two hours before scheduled departure but still had to run from security desks to the gate-10 minutes away-to board. Avoid like the plague.